MLB Regular Season 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

MLB Regular Season 2018

Post by Jaymann »

That is insane that the Yankees fired Girardi. They had no business making the playoffs and they pushed the Astros to 7 games. Manager of the Year material.
Last edited by Jaymann on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Re: MLB Off Season 2017-2018

Post by El Guapo »

I was just thinking the past couple days how crazy it is that the Red Sox fired Farrell basically (by all appearances) because he lost two straight ALDS series....after winning the AL East two straight years, when one ALDS loss was to a team which moved on to game 7 of the World Series and came within a couple bounces of winning a title, and the other was to a 101 win team which is currently in the middle of the World Series.

And then the Yankees really up the ante by firing Girardi when he took the latter World Series team to game 7 of the ALCS with a rebuilding 91-win Yankees team.

Neither Farrell nor Girardi are perfect managers, especially tactically...but still.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Depends on how much you think a a manger matters. The Yankees barely made it to the playoffs. They won a short format series and lost a regular length one in 7 games.

What was Girardi's WAR in the regular season? How much did he have to do with their postseason wins? Some people think managers are only good for 2 or 3 wins a year on the upside.

And also, of course, there's "what have you done for me lately?". And by lately, it's usually most recent playoff series. He was gone if they lost the Cleveland series. I guess winning it wasn't enough.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Meanwhile Mike Scioscia remains the longest tenured manager in the majors. Apparently they have still not located Artie Moreno's children.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Jake Arrieta and Yu Darvish are the only top tier pitchers coming up for free agency. Would you like to see your team pay top dollar for either one?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Darvish is a top pitcher?? Since when??

(Kidding)

Dodgers arent paying top money for him, that's for sure.
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:54 am I was just thinking the past couple days how crazy it is that the Red Sox fired Farrell basically (by all appearances) because he lost two straight ALDS series....after winning the AL East two straight years, when one ALDS loss was to a team which moved on to game 7 of the World Series and came within a couple bounces of winning a title, and the other was to a 101 win team which is currently in the middle of the World Series.
New regime wants a new manager, Farrell has displayed a few 'lost the clubhouse' moments (Price/Eckersley, and the Orioles beanball war with Pedroia), each of Bogaerts/Betts/JBJ regressed at the plate this year (and Benintendi did not do as well as expected, but since people were calling for ROY that'd have been tough to live up to), and nobody particularly seems to like to him anyway.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A plane owned by Roy Halladay has crashed into the Gulf of Mexico. No confirmation as to whether Halladay was flying, but whomever was flying the plane is dead.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 pm A plane owned by Roy Halladay has crashed into the Gulf of Mexico. No confirmation as to whether Halladay was flying, but whomever was flying the plane is dead.
Oof, it was probably him. It was a small recreational craft, not like a commuter jet he had under his name.

His plane.

Suddenly remember Cory Lidle.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's official. RIP, Roy Halladay.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Fun hot stove rumor: Cubs and Giants are talking trade. Jason Heyward for Jeff Samardjszisaaszzzx and Mark Melancon. All three have huge contracts (Heyward's being the biggest by far) and full no-trade clauses, so it's a long shot. More fun to talk about than yesterday's news, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:31 pm Fun hot stove rumor: Cubs and Giants are talking trade. Jason Heyward for Jeff Samardjszisaaszzzx and Mark Melancon. All three have huge contracts (Heyward's being the biggest by far) and full no-trade clauses, so it's a long shot. More fun to talk about than yesterday's news, though.
bad deal for both sides.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:04 pm It's official. RIP, Roy Halladay.
That sucks. Going to be a tough HOF induction in 2019.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:31 pm Fun hot stove rumor: Cubs and Giants are talking trade. Jason Heyward for Jeff Samardjszisaaszzzx and Mark Melancon. All three have huge contracts (Heyward's being the biggest by far) and full no-trade clauses, so it's a long shot. More fun to talk about than yesterday's news, though.
I'm not sure that rumor is fun.

I like the rumors that involve sending Heyward to Miami for Giancarlo Stanton.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm
I'm not sure that rumor is fun.

I like the rumors that involve sending Heyward to Miami for Giancarlo Stanton.
I've heard that Heyward is going to split time with the Marlins and Yankees, and the Cubs are going to get Stanton and Judge in return. :P

In reality land, though, the original deal does make some sense, particularly if the Cubs kick in part of Heyward's salary for the later years of his contract. The Cubs are looking for back of the rotation starters (Samarzdjia) and relievers (Melancon), and the Giants really need a light hitting elite defender. OK, I'm less sure how it benefits the Giants (although his defense truly would be an asset in a difficult right field in SF), but swapping around albatross contracts is a hallowed MLB tradition. Maybe SF thinks that they're the ones who can finally get Heyward to hit like he looks like he should be able to?

No trade clauses remain an issue. I'm guessing Samarzdjia would waive his to come back home, but I don't have a feeling for Heyward or Melancon.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Even with his mysteriously missing bat, Heyward was still a 2.3 bWAR player last year.

17 year old Red Sox prospect dies due to cancer. Oof. Too young. The Sox have now lost him and Westmoreland in the last few years, both considered one of the better prospects of their age groups, to bad health. Westmoreland is still alive but had to retire due to a benign tumor in his brain.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Boston radio host Michael Felger mocked Roy Hallady's death on air yesterday, saying Halladay was a moron and got what he deserved.

Holy shit. I hope he loses his job over that one.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I guess he had that plane for a few months. Reading their advert page there were some sad things, like a quote from his wife that she didn't want him to get it and she fought him hard but eventually relented.

Felger is an asshole. Sure Halladay took risks. Unless Felger lives in a sealed and padded bubble he takes risks too. If Halladay got killed by a comebacker on the mound, would he be an idiot getting what he deserved? Because the thought of pitching to major league hitting scares me a hell of a lot more than flying a plane. Still, it just gets filed under "dumb people say dumb things" and should be forgotten.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Auto"correct"

MYT
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

There is video purporting to be of Halladay flying his plane mere feet above the water, so he apparently was being an idiot. But yeah, Felger is a dick. Shock jocks will do that. Has everyone talking about him now, I'm guessing his ratings will spike.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kelric wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am Even with his mysteriously missing bat, Heyward was still a 2.3 bWAR player last year.
Yeah, he's still a good player (and a good clubhouse presence, if you go in for that - he gave the rain delay speech that many credit for inspiring the Cubs to win Game 7 of the WS last year), but he's still under contract for 6 more years at $20M+ per year. That's a lot of money for a lot of years for a good glove. I don't know if there are current figures on how much 1 point of bWAR is worth (I heard something about $8M/year), which would put him right about at value, but it's all via defense, and that's likely to decline as he ages and loses speed. Plus, the Cubs have plenty of young guys who can play outfield. The defense would certainly take a hit if he leaves, but it might be worth it if the Cubs can fill more glaring holes by trading him.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am Felger is an asshole. Sure Halladay took risks. Unless Felger lives in a sealed and padded bubble he takes risks too. If Halladay got killed by a comebacker on the mound, would he be an idiot getting what he deserved? Because the thought of pitching to major league hitting scares me a hell of a lot more than flying a plane. Still, it just gets filed under "dumb people say dumb things" and should be forgotten.
Considering the number of players and other people in baseball who were incensed by Felger's comments yesterday, I don't know if filed away and forgotten is how this one will play out.
Hodor.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am
Kelric wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am Even with his mysteriously missing bat, Heyward was still a 2.3 bWAR player last year.
Yeah, he's still a good player (and a good clubhouse presence, if you go in for that - he gave the rain delay speech that many credit for inspiring the Cubs to win Game 7 of the WS last year), but he's still under contract for 6 more years at $20M+ per year. That's a lot of money for a lot of years for a good glove. I don't know if there are current figures on how much 1 point of bWAR is worth (I heard something about $8M/year), which would put him right about at value, but it's all via defense, and that's likely to decline as he ages and loses speed. Plus, the Cubs have plenty of young guys who can play outfield. The defense would certainly take a hit if he leaves, but it might be worth it if the Cubs can fill more glaring holes by trading him.
Definitely worth getting that contract off the books. They need rotation help and their young core is going to get more expensive soon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am Felger is an asshole. Sure Halladay took risks. Unless Felger lives in a sealed and padded bubble he takes risks too. If Halladay got killed by a comebacker on the mound, would he be an idiot getting what he deserved? Because the thought of pitching to major league hitting scares me a hell of a lot more than flying a plane. Still, it just gets filed under "dumb people say dumb things" and should be forgotten.
Considering the number of players and other people in baseball who were incensed by Felger's comments yesterday, I don't know if filed away and forgotten is how this one will play out.
True, unfortunately he'll probably get mileage out of it.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Quiz: Who is this former MLB player?

Hint:
Spoiler:
He hit 609 home runs.
Yes, it's really. . .
Spoiler:
Sammy Sosa
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ohtani to the Angels.

Mike Trout's reaction says it all.

Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isn't this guy supposed to be an incredible pitcher AND hitter? Seems criminal to stick him in the AL.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

boo and double boo. I hope Stanton doesn't sell out and go to the Dodgers.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm Isn't this guy supposed to be an incredible pitcher AND hitter? Seems criminal to stick him in the AL.
The thought is that with the extra week of off days this year that a once a week start (rather than every 5 days) with a day or two in the field or at DH in between is the 'safe' way to go with him. We'll see.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kelric wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm Isn't this guy supposed to be an incredible pitcher AND hitter? Seems criminal to stick him in the AL.
The thought is that with the extra week of off days this year that a once a week start (rather than every 5 days) with a day or two in the field or at DH in between is the 'safe' way to go with him. We'll see.
Sweet, had no idea this was in the works. Especially given the dearth of quality starters in free agency.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kelric wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm
Yeah, it would be criminal to stick him in the NL.

Rather than 60-80 ABs as a hitting pitcher he can get several hundred if he DHes between starts. Remember, the DH is optional anyway and the pitcher can hit if the team wants.

MYT
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm boo and double boo. I hope Stanton doesn't sell out and go to the Dodgers.
I saw a tweet that said Stanton to the Yankees was gaining momentum. I'd hate that even more than his going to LA. Damn Yankees.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Twitter has been abuzz this morning that the Yankees and Marlins have come to terms on a Stanton deal. No word on whether Stanton has agreed to go yet, though the Yankees are on the short list of 4 teams he would go to.
Hodor.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Saw a tweet - Trout and Ohtani on the same team. Judge and Stanton on the same team.

Must be nice...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Might be Harper and Bryant (with Rizzo!) on the same team in 2019.
Hodor.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Holy Milwaukee, Batman! Trading for Yelich and signing Cain (5 years, $80M) within hours of each other is amazing. Just one of those is a bold move for that squad with the number of young outfielders they have ready - adding both is crazy.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I expect them to move Braun or Santana for pitching in the near future.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, I'm getting a little nervous about the team that plays in Wrigley North.
pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm I expect them to move Braun or Santana for pitching in the near future.
Not sure how much they'll get for Braun, given his baggage. Plus, he's 34 and under contract for $19M for two more years. Add in that he has 10-5 trade veto rights, and there's a pretty limited market for him.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kelric wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 pm Holy Milwaukee, Batman! Trading for Yelich and signing Cain (5 years, $80M) within hours of each other is amazing. Just one of those is a bold move for that squad with the number of young outfielders they have ready - adding both is crazy.
Sad to see Cain sign elsewhere but happy that he got more than $50M.

Big Royals news today too!

They're apparently in talks to bring Escobar back - aka "the worst hitter in MLB". :grund:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Exodor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am
Kelric wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 pm Holy Milwaukee, Batman! Trading for Yelich and signing Cain (5 years, $80M) within hours of each other is amazing. Just one of those is a bold move for that squad with the number of young outfielders they have ready - adding both is crazy.
Sad to see Cain sign elsewhere but happy that he got more than $50M.

Big Royals news today too!

They're apparently in talks to bring Escobar back - aka "the worst hitter in MLB". :grund:
That's an unfortunate nickname that Escobar has.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Vlad Guerrero goes into the HoF as an Angel. Also elected were:
Chipper Jones
Jim Thome
Trevor Hoffman
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter