2017-18 Winter Storm thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Vorret

Re: 2017-18 Winter Storm thread

Post by Vorret »

It's been raining like crazy today, 10 degrees (celcius).
Tomorrow we get 20cm of snow and a max of -12 then Sunday -20.

Winter so far has been a sweet rollercoaster ride. Though I'd rather have snow than rain.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm 70 degrees here today. Welcome to North Carolina.
Near 60 here yesterday. 22 right now with a windchill of 8.
60 felt wrong. 22 feels about right.

Edit: Degrees. I'm talking about degrees.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm
60 felt wrong. 22 feels about right.

Edit: Degrees. I'm talking about degrees.
No matter what you were talking about, the statement was probably correct as written.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 pm I need this for my driveway... I'm not joking... This might just become my Christmas present this... last... year...

Enlarge Image
It's a jacket, I think.
Youda man! I'm not spending $319 for a hood because it comes with a free jacket, but I think I may write them and ask how much just for the hood.
Yeah, the hood would be nice to have. I am also disappointed that they didnt include built in gloves for the jacket as well.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The storm didn't get a fancy name but Portland saw 1-3" of snow yesterday so of course the city is shut down this morning.

We are dealing with it in our own way:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Winter Storm Riley (as the Weather Channel is calling it) is going to be one for the history books -- personal history, if nothing else: I congratulated myself on keeping up with the water seeping into our cellar, even managing to mostly staunch the flow with Drylock. And then a tree fell on my house. I don't think there's any major structural damage -- hard to tell from ground level in the dark -- but we're definitely going to need a tree removal person and a roofer, at the very least. I'll take a pic tomorrow if we survive the night.

Sure made an impressive bang. I just about jumped out of my skin and the cats scattered.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh man. So sorry about the damage!

Eastern PA weather has been nuts today. After a mild morning we suddenly switched to heavy snowfall and 60 mph winds.

Today my wife took a train to Harrisburg and back. Getting there took two hours, but getting back is taking seven and a half.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The town of Duxbury is closed. Traffic banned on all roads.

Just yesterday I finally got my car back; I thought I was done talking to insurance companies. Nope. Tomorrow it starts again. I imagine tree people and roofers are going to be in short supply for a few weeks.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 pm Oh man. So sorry about the damage!

Eastern PA weather has been nuts today. After a mild morning we suddenly switched to heavy snowfall and 60 mph winds.

Today my wife took a train to Harrisburg and back. Getting there took two hours, but getting back is taking seven and a half.
I’ve been meaning to ask you, Holman, are you actually from Wissahickon? If so, it’s a small world. I grew up just up the road in Quakertown.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 am I’ve been meaning to ask you, Holman, are you actually from Wissahickon? If so, it’s a small world. I grew up just up the road in Quakertown.
I'm in Philadelphia, living near the Wissahickon Creek (which is swollen today).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really feel bad for anyone having storm damage and heartaches. Know what its like. Hope the best for all of you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Sweet Jesus. So yesterday my daughter had a dance competition to go to down near Trenton, NJ (about an hour and 15 minutes away from us in Northwest Jersey).

Surely a powerful Nor’easter bearing down on the State will cancel/postpone the dance competition, right?

Wrong. (Insert Trump “wron-guh” gif here)

It took a bit over three hours to get there, as the main road south was closed (giant tree came down across the road, onto a car). The two primary alternate roads were giant-ass hills which were clogged with cars that don’t understand that you can’t slow down or stop on a hill with 4+ inches of snow on it. So we had to backtrack almost to home and pick a different route which also had giant trees down - but the main one was being held in the air by a single phone cable. I punched the gas as we passed under that one.

We got down to Trenton in time and decided to get a hotel room to avoid having to drive home. Made it to the venue on time only to discover that the school had no power (and didn’t have power for hours before we got there). So we waited there for 90 minutes to see if the power company got power on (they didn’t restore it until about 8 am this morning), before they cancelled all the performances.

So much rage. Just got home, which is annoying because I have to be back down there tomorrow by 7 am. If you have daughters, don’t let them dance. It will bankrupt you and make you do dumb shit like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The damage appears to be confined to the fascia. We were lucky. Last pic is out my office window.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Whoa. Any idea whether there was serious damage? I assume some shingles were slid out of place at least, but from the pics it doesn't look like the frame got broken.

Good thing that branch didn't come through the office window. And that log on the roof could have slid down and taken out the vent pipe thing.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Looks like you got pretty lucky there, damage only appears outside the building envelope.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:35 pm Whoa. Any idea whether there was serious damage? I assume some shingles were slid out of place at least, but from the pics it doesn't look like the frame got broken.

Good thing that branch didn't come through the office window. And that log on the roof could have slid down and taken out the vent pipe thing.
I can't see any real damage from the ground except for the fascia and maybe a few shingles. I can't be sure without hauling out my ladder and climbing up there, which I'm not going to do in 40-mph-winds with an unstable tree still in place. Yeah, a broken window would have rendered my closet uninhabitable, and I spend most of my waking hours in this closet.

I'm waiting to hear from an insurance adjuster. Removing the tree is priority #1, and might be harder to do that than you'd think. I'm fairly sure it's on my neighbor's property, and he's not home...and local tree services are going to be backed up for days, if not weeks, after this storm. I'm leery of doing anything until I talk to the adjuster, just in case I end up filing the claim that I opened. Meanwhile, there's a substantial chance that the tree will finish splitting (see fig. 2) and the part leaning on my house will fall to the ground, potentially causing more damage on the way down.

Last fall I raised my deductible from $500 to $1000, so I'm probably not going to be submitting anyway. But one must be careful.
Holman

Post by Holman »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm I can't see any real damage from the ground except for the fascia and maybe a few shingles.
I'd guess they're going to have to peel your plywood decking back 8 ft from that facia along that entire length to fix things because it looks like the decking is cracked. I think you're going to exceed $1000 by a factor of three or so depending on if they can match the shingles, and are willing to patch them in with a warranty instead of completely recovering that side of the roof. Otherwise it's probably at least $5000.

Then there's the tree, that whole tree has to come down. :(
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for that assessment. I'm going to hire the same company that installed the roof just 3-4 years ago and do whatever they advise. They are the best in the business around here and I trust their judgment. We don't have plywood decking, btw -- our house is old enough to still have planks. I did open a claim, though, so we'll see if we need to file it.

Talked to the neighbors and they're fine with removing the whole tree, which they acknowledged is theirs (I was worried that they might want a surveyor to confirm, because it's just barely over the line). I offered to split the price with them and they readily agreed. Don't know yet if we're going to have to invoke their insurance company as well, but we are on good terms and will work it out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Managed to find a tree company that was working in the neighborhood today. They will remove the tree either later today or tomorrow morning. I still haven't heard from the insurance adjuster, but this is clearly an emergency situation to prevent further damage. And if the tree guy happens to trim the bottom branches from some unrelated trees while he's here, "We had to do that to get the trucks in."

Tree removal is more expensive than I had thought -- between $2-3k for complete removal and disposal. Last time we had one done it was $800...18 years ago.

Anyhoo, the immediate crisis will be resolved well before the next nor'easter that's potentially coming on Wednesday. Then I can turn my attention to roofers and insurance agents.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tree removal guy says there is no damage other than the small hole in the fascia/rake board/drip edge that's visible from the ground, "and maybe one or two shingles." Still going to have a roofer render a professional opinion, but it's unlikely that we're facing any hidden damage. If my ladder will reach that high, I'm going to try to slap a patch over it before the next big storm comes on Wednesday. Probably can't reach it but I need to try.

Tree Guy also said this was the most destructive storm he's seen in his 20 years in business, including any hurricane. I can believe that.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Be careful if you go up there, it looks like the whole soffit is bent down or cracked back to the wall for at least 4 ft along where the tree lies. That's why I thought you probably had plywood decking. Maybe it's just bent and it will spring back up when the tree is removed. Maybe it's an optical illusion, or maybe it was a little wavy there in the first place. I doubt that it was wavy since the rest of the roof looks good though.

That tree beside it looks to have a limb that's hanging toward your house that's bigger than the leader. Maybe you can get the tree guy to throw removing that branch in also.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On Friday 95% of the homes in our town lost power; ours was not one of them. However, we did lose our Internet technology from 1999 and it wasn't restored until this morning - which is insane. We had a few trees in our yard come down, but no damage. I know we were lucky from seeing the real problems others in our area have. I don't know how many people in my town had power returned as of this morning, but 24 hours ago it was still 70% without.

Looking forward to the next storm, starting late tonight. Here's hoping I'm not returned to the 1880s because of the mess that is predicted.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think they're hyping tomorrow's storm because they downplayed the last one. I hope. There are still other trees that could cause me grief, although none of them look threatening.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We're expecting 4 to 6 inches of snow tonight as the Nor'whatever rolls in.

It feels really weird because I was just now walking around unjacketed in sunny weather almost without a cloud in the sky.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Current estimates are 12-18" for our area and our local emergency coordinators are saying there are definitely going to be be areas that will not be reconnected to the grid in time. Realistically then, this means they won't see power return until Thursday or Friday - a week after it was lost.

What's hilarious is that after Hurricane Sandy, there were meetings and discussions about the failures that occurred. While the scope of these storms isn't on the same scale (state-wide), it's absolutely the same level of disruption, arguably worse in some areas. But apparently whatever they learned or however they were going to minimize the risks of this type of thing happening again were completely put on the back burner.

Losing your power for a week in October is one thing. Losing it this time of year for the same amount of time? I can't wait to see what the "lessons learned" are from this one. Well, assuming we survive the next 72 hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There should be plenty of wet string laying around.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm There should be plenty of wet string laying around.
:clap:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When I give my presentation to the township committee elders next month, that is going to be the capstone on my presentation of the history of DSL to them. But yeah, you wouldn't think it would take my ISP 4 days to repair wet string, but here we are. I was guessing the delay was that they had to import DSL technology from 1998.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm Well, assuming we survive the next 72 hours.
Just wait on the AAR from Puerto Rico. You'll be fine.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ah the famous company email just came through. They might as well just give us the middle finger. Oh last Friday I couldn't make it in and had urgent stuff that nobody else could do. I ended up working from 9-3 non-stop. They took a full vacation day from me. I will fight this and get it back but WTF

As you are aware there is a snow storm coming our way. The office is very rarely closed due to snow, however please heed the following advice:

1. If you have a laptop, take your laptop home.
2. If there are any communications from the company about snow delays or closures they will likely come via email or by phone. Most of us can get email remotely, and if you cannot get email please call the office and listen to the switchboard message or call your manager. There is no excuse for not knowing the status of the company.
3. Schools will probably be closed or delayed. If you need to plan for child care, do it in advance.
4. Roads will likely be difficult, please plan extra time for your commute, and drive carefully. Please do your best to get here safely.
5. Make sure you communicate our status with your clients and let them know we are here and working (assuming that is in fact the case).
6. All employees who have an e-mail account will have access to e-mail through office 365 - xxxx
7. Please see below for more information regarding the company’s inclement weather policy:

Article 14
POLICIES - UNSCHEDULED CLOSURES

POLICY:
Generally the Company does not pay employees when work cannot be performed due to acts beyond their control. The following are examples of such circumstances:
1) The interruption of work caused by an “Act of God” such as inclement weather, fires, floods, etc. or other causes not within the Company’s control. As for inclement weather such as snow, an employee who calls out due to sickness must provide a doctor’s note or the day will go unpaid. If an employee feels they cannot come in due to the snow or other inclement weather, but the Company is open for business, the employee must utilize a vacation day or floating holiday.

2) Public utilities fail to supply electricity, water, gas, or there is a failure to supply essential services.

3) Operations cannot commence or continue because conditions are deemed to be unsafe whether so deemed by management or by civic officials.

EARLY CLOSURE:
In some instances, management may, in its discretion, decide to close operations earlier than scheduled for a particular day. Management will decide in its sole discretion whether to pay non-exempt employees for time not worked due to such early closures. Management reserves the right to consider each such closure on a case by case basis and does not establish a precedent for future closures based upon any such decision.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

OMG someone just snapped and replied to the ENTIRE company

Its 2018. This policy is outdated. I can do my entire job anywhere with an Internet connection. I know the majority of the company feels the same way. What can we do to improve or update this policy here?

Anyone else that agrees feel free to chime in. I don’t mind being the first or only one to speak up because we are all thinking it.

-------------
:shock: :lol: I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Someone photoshop a picture of Sally Field holding up a "Work from home!" sign.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm OMG someone just snapped and replied to the ENTIRE company

Its 2018. This policy is outdated. I can do my entire job anywhere with an Internet connection. I know the majority of the company feels the same way. What can we do to improve or update this policy here?

Anyone else that agrees feel free to chime in. I don’t mind being the first or only one to speak up because we are all thinking it.

-------------
I'm confused.. based on 31..Take your laptop home, that seems to imply that WFH is an option already. Am I not understanding this?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I assume that your work is critical. Like, if you close for a day the missiles might miss Pyongyang.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Punisher wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm OMG someone just snapped and replied to the ENTIRE company

-------------
I'm confused.. based on 31..Take your laptop home, that seems to imply that WFH is an option already. Am I not understanding this?
Only if they tell you that you can. In 15 years this has happened once. And if having cookies on the shelf is critical then yes it's super important!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I worked as a game tester my company had a similar "we never close" policy. One of my fellow testers remarked that "If we miss a day, it doesn't mean that the missiles won't hit Moscow. Worst case, somebody somewhere might have a little less fun than they would have otherwise." In your case, that someone might gain a pound less than they would have otherwise.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:13 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

-------------
Only if they tell you that you can. In 15 years this has happened once. And if having cookies on the shelf is critical then yes it's super important!
I would have a shitfit if I worked from home and got docked a vacation day. Don't fuck with the pay scale. Precedent gets set that way. Next time, I'm not taking a laptop or company phone home. You can run me through the ringer for these last 20 years but don't fuck with the way I get paid. I'm not gonna fight you about but once.
stessier

Post by stessier »

When you finally leave, please tell us the company name so we know who to stay far, far away from.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He’s never going to leave. The shit they’ve already put him through would have been enough for most of us to quit on the spot. He’s going to die at his desk while there’s a hurricane outside.
It's almost as if people are the problem.