2017-18 Winter Storm thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: 2017-18 Winter Storm thread

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia: public schools have closed for tomorrow, as has my wife's university and many others.

In fact every campus has announced a closure except the one where I teach.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Latest storm casualties - three trees uprooted in my backyard due to the weight of the snow on them. Guess I'll be breaking out my chainsaw whenever this shit dies down. My five year tally is now 5 trees fallen due to weather. And three others removed at my discretion. These three were maintained, trimmed, and deemed healthy by my tree service last summer. Quality. I'm honestly considering cutting down any tree taller than my roof line at this point.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pretty much fizzled for us -- some rain and wind making it unpleasant out there, but nothing like the last storm. Not that I'm complaining.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm He’s never going to leave. The shit they’ve already put him through would have been enough for most of us to quit on the spot. He’s going to die at his desk while there’s a hurricane outside.
Oh I think they will eventually lay me off as I'm getting too expensive. :lol: They closed the office at 2:30 which was WAYYYY late considering how bad it was outside. One person totaled their car on the way home. Thankfully they didn't get hurt. There were people stuck on some of the highways for 10+ hours as it closed done after it became impassible. (That wasn't anyone from my work)

We got about 2 feet at my house. I took a day off yesterday to get everything dug out. Plus screw those guys. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Clean up your resume, start reaching out to headhunters, get the hell out. Hell, hit up your university's career placement program. They obviously have no respect for their employees.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am Clean up your resume, start reaching out to headhunters, get the hell out. Hell, hit up your university's career placement program. They obviously have no respect for their employees.
Yup. There was also the time when they tried to boat people into the office when there was major flooding.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we only had about 10" or so at our house, but it was so damn wet and heavy, I think it looked like a lower amount. East of us (where Octavious lives and then further east where he works) was absolutely walloped. It could have been much worse for our area. That being said, in checking the local reports this morning, anywhere from 20-40% of the residents in the surrounding towns west of me are still without power, some of whom lost it a week ago. By all accounts, this seems to be a worse event than Hurricane Sandy for our area - which is insane.

The Governor was out to a neighboring county yesterday (I'm right on the border) and allegedly our congressman is visiting our area today. I can't wait to see what comes of all this after the finger pointing ends. But I refuse to believe the local power companies have been monitoring and maintaining lines and easements since 2012 in a way to minimize exactly what just happened.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am Clean up your resume
What does a modern Resume look like? Is mine old fashioned because I only have the last 15 years worth of experience and its all on 1 page? I'm not a fan of putting my picture on the Resume or including social media links.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unless it's pertinent to the job, avoid social media links. E-mail is as technical as you need to get unless you need to provide a demonstration portfolio.

Experience at 15 years should probably be pared down. Remove dates, but not duration. Put only stuff on there that's pertinent.
stessier

Post by stessier »

And unless you are an actor, don't put your picture on your resume.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My radio told me that we should expect up to 15" of snow with blizzard conditions and potentially hurricane-force winds, starting tomorrow night and continuing through Tuesday. This will be our third major storm in two weeks. I'm actually relieved that it's coming as snow instead of rain because the ground is already saturated. It will remain cold enough that it will melt gradually.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It’s a little gusty over here in Lexington MA. Just worried about losing power again.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blustery in Braintree, too, but it looks like the snowfall isn't going to be that bad. Probably at 6" now with another 7-8 hours to go.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Good thing about moving up to Massachusetts is that the roads will be in good shape by tomorrow unlike where we used to live in MD. Bad thing are the occasional Nor’easters.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Still snowing, but it is time to go out and clear it away. Looks like it's mostly over with.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm He’s never going to leave. The shit they’ve already put him through would have been enough for most of us to quit on the spot. He’s going to die at his desk while there’s a hurricane outside.
Oh I think they will eventually lay me off as I'm getting too expensive. :lol: They closed the office at 2:30 which was WAYYYY late considering how bad it was outside. One person totaled their car on the way home. Thankfully they didn't get hurt. There were people stuck on some of the highways for 10+ hours as it closed done after it became impassible. (That wasn't anyone from my work)

We got about 2 feet at my house. I took a day off yesterday to get everything dug out. Plus screw those guys. :lol:
Still haven't gotten my vacation days back. Have to wait for the owner to come back and decide, because it's totally normal in a company with 100's of people for the owner to have to approve such crap. I asked my wife to force me to look for another job. On the bright side I have gotten half the work I usually do done as I'm just so pissed off. :tjg:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So a half-day ragecation, if you will?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My boss isn't instilling much confidence in me actually getting them back. Not that they aren't on my side they totally are, but the owner doesn't give a crap. Has the if you don't like it go find another place to work attitude. :wub:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like a great idea.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Looks like I'll lose another vacation day tomorrow and possibly a half day on Thursday. Supposed to snow ALL day until 2am. Which means I won't have f'n time to dig out for Thursday. F this. On top of that Thursday is recycling, the last one was cancelled due to snow. This will be cancelled too. I have like a mountain now. I so hate winter. And yes I know it's now spring. :tjg:

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

DC lawmaker blames Jews for bad weather
“Man it just started snowing out of nowhere this morning, man. Y’all better pay attention to this climate control, man, this climate manipulation,” White can be heard saying in the video, the Washington Post reported.

“And D.C. keeps talking about, ‘We a resilient city,’” he continues. “And that’s a model based off the Rothschilds controlling the climate to create natural disasters they can pay for to own the cities, man. Be careful.”
:lol:
malchior

Post by malchior »

If this goes according to the forecast I'm feeling pretty good about not having the time to fix tree damage like my neighbors. We are sure to have a ton more tomorrow. Otherwise, I have a client meeting in NYC in the afternoon tomorrow. We've tried this meeting two times before. Cancelled for the last two storms. The client is insisting tomorrow is going to happen. His 'hood is looking at 18 inches and I'm looking at 14. We'll see. :lol:
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I had an overnight cpap titration thingie canceled on me. Postponed another month due to "weather". The sucky part about living on the east coast, or DC area anyway is they cancel everything for a snow flake. Growing up in North Dakota, we didn't cancel for nothing! I used to deliver newspapers at 4:30 AM. This was before the fancy salting the roads or graveling the roads. We plowed the streets by driving on them damn it. When the snowplows did come out, they knew how to plow, you take the top layer of asphalt off with the snow. This makes sure it's safe to drive, not that it mattered, everyone went out in the blizzards anyway. We'd get 3 snow days a year at school and use them in May as an extra vacation, because fuck closing school over a foot of snow. I'm somewhere between annoyed because I sleep like shit and amused that the US Capital shuts down over a little snow and ice. In March, the one damn day I need things open. :x :oops: :roll:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fourth nor'easter in three weeks, and I heard rumors of another one possible over the weekend. Last I heard, my town should be just south of the rain/snow line so accumulation will not be bad (4-8"), but we could see 45 mph wind gusts.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote:Looks like I'll lose another vacation day tomorrow and possibly a half day on Thursday. Supposed to snow ALL day until 2am. Which means I won't have f'n time to dig out for Thursday. F this. On top of that Thursday is recycling, the last one was cancelled due to snow. This will be cancelled too. I have like a mountain now. I so hate winter. And yes I know it's now spring. :tjg:
Got your resume together yet?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm Fourth nor'easter in three weeks, and I heard rumors of another one possible over the weekend.
Yeah, I heard Sunday, though I'm not sure of the timing. We are right at the border of the storm due to hit tomorrow, currently scheduled to deliver 11-15" of snow. If the storm track shifts further west, we'd be in the next band (the one Octavious is in), putting us at 12"-18" of possible snow.

Godspeed everyone. Godspeed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 pm Looks like I'll lose another vacation day tomorrow and possibly a half day on Thursday. Supposed to snow ALL day until 2am. Which means I won't have f'n time to dig out for Thursday. F this. On top of that Thursday is recycling, the last one was cancelled due to snow. This will be cancelled too. I have like a mountain now. I so hate winter. And yes I know it's now spring. :tjg:
Our recycling was canceled previously as well, however, I got an alert that tomorrows will be happening..At 3AM!!
Damn, that's dedication!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

We moved from the Boston area out to Portland OR after the winter of 2015 (you know, the one when they were measuring our total snowfall in Gronks). We hated to leave Boston, but the one solace was we wouldn’t have to deal with such difficult winter weather. Reading about your 4th Nor Easter in three weeks reminds me a lot of that crazy 2015 winter. Glad we’re not there for this! But good luck to all you East Coasters!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, our snow pack has been nonexistent for most of the year. Even today, as we await our fourth major storm of the month, there is very little snow on the ground, and whatever we get today will be mostly gone in a week. For all that we're having an active month, wind and flooding are the main concerns. It's not even remotely like 2015.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nary a snowflake yet, and the forecast is downgraded to 2-5" overnight. Dodged this one, we did.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We got about 8 inches in Philadelphia, and schools (including universities) were canceled because it came down hard and fast, snarling transportation.

Fortunately it's not heavy wet snow, and tomorrow we're expecting a high of 42. I was out just now and it was fairly easy shoveling.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Still going here and not looking like it will stop for a couple more hours. I'm going to have like no vacation days to take vacation with at this rate. I did apply for 6 jobs today. :D

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So for the last few weeks there was a winter storm warning for my 'hood. We were supposed to get approximately 6 inches of heavy slush. We bailed on a plan to go egg hunting (just as well, I don't own a gun) because of the forecast.

The next flake to fall will be the first. The current forecast is for 0% precipitation.
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 pm Well, our snow pack has been nonexistent for most of the year. Even today, as we await our fourth major storm of the month, there is very little snow on the ground, and whatever we get today will be mostly gone in a week. For all that we're having an active month, wind and flooding are the main concerns. It's not even remotely like 2015.
It has been a weird winter. Snow, 80 degree days, wind storms, flooding, snow, zero degrees or less for two straight weeks, warm spells, snow, really bad weather forecasting....

Also, how are the roads by you, Ken? Out here they are ATROCIOUS. Nonstop potholes.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Braintree has rebuilt or repaved nearly all of its streets over the past few years, so locally they're in good shape. I rarely leave town so I can't speak to anywhere else.

It has been a weird winter, though, as you noted. And, I might add, spring still eludes us. Hard to remember a year when March 24 still felt like full-on winter. One of these days we're just going to wake up to summer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:32 pm
Octavious wrote:Looks like I'll lose another vacation day tomorrow and possibly a half day on Thursday. Supposed to snow ALL day until 2am. Which means I won't have f'n time to dig out for Thursday. F this. On top of that Thursday is recycling, the last one was cancelled due to snow. This will be cancelled too. I have like a mountain now. I so hate winter. And yes I know it's now spring. :tjg: