Stress/Boredom Eating Alternatives

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Stress/Boredom Eating Alternatives

Post by Sudy »

I eat when I'm anxious or frustrated or depressed. I eat when I'm bored. I'm all of these things a lot. I think I've established that if there were easy, healthy replacement coping mechanisms I'd have found them by now. Those of you with similar compulsions, have you found anything that worked or helped?

• I'm not a smoker. As much as the concept of gradual suicide appeals to me during tougher times (which are most of them, as of late), deliberately picking up this habit is a degree of self-destruction I won't seriously contemplate. Also, I can't afford it.
  • Vaping (potentially non-nicotine) has occurred to me. But of course, the long term health effects aren't well known (and there are potential concerns). Still, if it was actually enough to reduce my calorie consumption I could potentially be trading one definite health risk for a lesser one. But there's no way to know if it would be enough of a substitution craving-wise (if a sugar craving is as potentially powerful as a cocaine one, what hope do I have?), especially if I used nicotine-free juice. (Which seems... stupid. Like drinking dealcoholized beer/wine.)
  • I've really grown to enjoy black coffee, but it has the unfortunate side effect of being extra good at stimulating smooth muscle contraction for me. (Read: It makes me poop. Like many people. But... not just once. If I keep drinking it all day, I'll keep having to go. To the extent I'm essentially volunteering for diarrhea and its side effects.) I still drink it anyway. (Probably 50-75oz a day.) And even though it doesn't seem to effect my sleep, the high quantities of caffeine probably aren't the best idea.
  • I don't really care for most teas. I can find ones I like, but I don't enjoy it as much as coffee. It does have the benefit of not stimulating my bowels, though. And I'm ingesting less caffeine on average if I'm chain-drinking it. But it doesn't seem capable of replacing the urge to snack.
  • Don't even joke about replacing calorie-dense junk foods with nutrient-dense ones. Get real. If carrot sticks solved the world's problems Bugs Bunny would be president. I have tried moderately healthier things like nuts and dried fruit, but they're usually fairly pricey, and eating too many nuts has an effect similar to the coffee.
  • Fidget toys and the like help a little bit, but they still don't replace the urge to ingest something.
  • I'd be down with pyschotherapy, CBT, etc. But I can't afford paying out of pocket, and I don't have the patience or willpower for serious self-help. I've applied to a community program that might be able to provide support, but there's a waiting list.
  • Regular exercise would probably help, but I can't do it in the middle of the workday. And again, the willpower issue. I also unfortunately can't afford a local gym membership.

I'm screwed, aren't I? I'm evidently by nature one of the apes meant to die off before passing on my genes. (So far, so successful.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Moliere

Re: Stress/Boredom Eating Alternatives

Post by Moliere »

+1
Let me know if you find the magic answer.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm trying to replace stress eating with stress drinking.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'd earnestly be down with that; but again, expensive (at least in this northern land of heavily taxed vices) and tough to get away with at work.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm and tough to get away with at work.
Imagine what it's like in traffic.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

When I'm stressed (like really stressed), I get all workaholic and then drink more when I'm not working. I read when I'm bored but I'm rarely bored these days.

Sometimes I impulse buy in either circumstance, too.

Not sure I'd recommend any of the above except reading. Reading is good.

Also, it probably depends on what fires your endorphins. For me, carrots and celery work great as a distraction from eating. Turns out the does it for me, not the actual food.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I hear opiods are popular with the kids these days...

Otherwise, the closest thing to a magic pill of exercise. Are you sure there are no affordable options? Out here in the wastelands of suburbia there are a number of places that charge just $10 per month for access to their arrays of hamster wheels and torture bikes.

During work hours, if the need arises I just go for a walk outside. I just got my own hamster wheel at home and while the beer holders can easily accommodate bombers, so far I've resisted the temptation and time spent on the thing is time not spent drinking or eating. Not sure how this is going to work after my mother in law leaves next week and I have to deal with both kids.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gum or sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:17 pm Gum or sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
+1

I mostly rely on gum to keep me from snacking constantly. Especially now that I work from home. In the past I've also gotten sunflower seeds. The problem there is that they can be WAY too salty. And the completely unsalted ones don't work. So I try to find ones that aren't too salty. The other drawback is that if I eat too many at a time, it tends to leave my mouth sore (I pop them in shelled and then crack/split the shells with my teeth/tongue).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Maybe it's just me, but chewing gum actually ends up making me hungry.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 pm Maybe it's just me, but chewing gum actually ends up making me hungry.
I've had that happen on occasion.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:17 pm Gum or sunflower/pumpkin seeds.
+1

I mostly rely on gum to keep me from snacking constantly. Especially now that I work from home. In the past I've also gotten sunflower seeds. The problem there is that they can be WAY too salty. And the completely unsalted ones don't work. So I try to find ones that aren't too salty. The other drawback is that if I eat too many at a time, it tends to leave my mouth sore (I pop them in shelled and then crack/split the shells with my teeth/tongue).
I had to have a 3 inch gap sewn up on the inside of my cheek where the salt from the handfuls of sunflower seeds I would store in there had eaten thru.
Have no idea how squirrels do it without having enormous dentist bills.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My go-to is popcorn, but of course you can't load it with salt and butter. And no microwaves.

My favorite is air popped with some olive oil, a touch of salt, and some black pepper.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Seeds have the same fiber issue nuts do, but it's my fault for eating too many. :P

I do the gum thing sometimes but I tend to get sick of it. I also don't care for a lot of the readily available brands/flavours. Have you guys found any awesome gum online that does something special for you?

And yeah, I'd kill for a $10 gym. We do have some discount ones (maybe double that), but I don't have a car. And while we're in an extremely walkable area, the only nearby gym (while a nice one) is $40+ per month, and I'd realistically need a membership for Mrs. Nym too. Obviously, health should be prioritized. But we honestly don't have the spare $80 a month right now, and having to take a bus to the gym would kill our already questionable motivation as well as make it even more expensive.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:57 pm My go-to is popcorn, but of course you can't load it with salt and butter. And no microwaves.

My favorite is air popped with some olive oil, a touch of salt, and some black pepper.
Hmmm...that does sound good. Methinks I should give it a try.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:57 pm Seeds have the same fiber issue nuts do, but it's my fault for eating too many. :P
I have a bag of seeds here. 5.25 oz, two servings. Fiber per serving: 2g (8%). Same as 1/4 cup of walnuts.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

try Numi's savory tea - it's like vegetable soup, kinda:

https://shop.numitea.com/savory-tea/c/n ... bag@savory

flavor is very good.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm eating leftover Halloween candy while reading this thread...
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

When I snack, I snack on green beans and sweet peppers. High fiber content/nutritious. Generally though the trick for me is to always ask myself when I eat something is, 'why am I eating this?' If it is 'emotional/boredom' I just don't do it. That is pretty much it. Mental tricks work for me though - I quit smoking cold turkey similarly years ago. YMMV etc. I've heard journals play a similar purpose. Write down when you eat, what you ate, and why you ate it beyond 'I'm hungry' because often times it isn't actual hunger.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I found out that spending money also works. :roll:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My board game collection is living proof of that...
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So I was thinking about this at my lunch workout. That is a huge one, quick workouts. Doing it in the middle of the day is difficult but highly recommended if you can. If you can't do a workout, do a brisk walk lunch. Or just push ups in the office.

Other things I thought of that I do:
Get a hobby. I find that getting into the minute details of an intricate/detail oriented hobby to be highly relaxing. Preferably with a physical (as opposed to digital or mental) component.

Drink water. Maybe my body thinks I'm drinking alcohol but I find that always having nice cold water on hand is good for stress.

Get to a local bar and chat with friends. Even if I stop in for just one beer, I can almost always count on seeing someone I know we'll enough to talk to. Always manage to get a laugh or good discussion out of it. There are 3 guys I know who stop in just for the chit chat and no booze, 2 are in rehab. The other drives a cab and stops by on-shift use the bathroom and get caffeinated. Point being that it's not just the alcohol. Some cafes and diners may serve this purpose but they're rare.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
mori

Post by mori »

Perhaps Headspace might work for you. I did the free trial but did not continue beyond that but some people swear by it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I snack I look at the package definition of a serving, and eat half of that. If I'm still hungry after 10 minutes I eat the other half. 18 potato chips are 150 calories? Fine, I'll have 9 now and maybe 9 later. The first half is usually satisfactory when my mouth is hungry but my belly is indifferent.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am a lot like Sudy. I used to eat when I was bored. Its why I got to 214 lbs. Ive been able to cut that out for the most part. Im down to 188. I quit smoking in 1992. Ive considered vaping and coffee. But really dont want either. I just dont need another habit. Besides they both cost too much.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had the same problem. For me, gum usually does the trick. If I get to the point where I just can't avoid a snack, I'll usually drink a big glass of water (which fills you up) or brush my teeth with strong mint toothpaste (which makes food taste gross.)

If those things fail, I try sitting among a pile of empty wrappers, swimming in guilt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

1. Altoids.

2. Also get serious about a workout regimen. The health benefits of it are ginormous..good chemicals rushing through your head..you make better decissions, look better, and great way of working through some stress. I didn't have a work out regimen till i had a serious health scare; once I started though the positive effects really came through. Stick with it for 3 months or so. Most likely it will stay. You just feel better. Its not the end all be all, but it sure as hell helps a lot.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Have you tried masturbation? Not only does it relieve stress, it's great for the biceps.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, there goes 3 minutes..........
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

tgb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm Have you tried masturbation? Not only does it relieve stress, it's great for the biceps.
My wife takes care of that for me. Says its good for the prostate.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

tgb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm Have you tried masturbation? Not only does it relieve stress, it's great for the biceps.
I get disapproving looks from my co-workers.

janiegray

Post by janiegray »

I was the chain spammer before. I have tried many things out to get rid of this habit.

No need to continue reporting this post. I have already removed the link and made it "funny". - ImLawBoy
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm try Numi's savory tea - it's like vegetable soup, kinda:

flavor is very good.
Wow, that stuff is kind of expensive. Is there a particular flavor you recommend?
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Gum can work to keep my "boredom eating" limited, but it ends up making my jaw sore. I tend to chew until the gum is a hard wad of rubber. It also helps keep my focus when I'm doing long drives.

Usually, though, I just try and use force of will to avoid it - or keep myself entertained in other ways. When I'm deep in a game, snacking isn't on my mind. Same thing if I'm working on a model, working at my lathe, playing with my drone, etc.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm try Numi's savory tea - it's like vegetable soup, kinda:

flavor is very good.
Wow, that stuff is kind of expensive. Is there a particular flavor you recommend?
they're expensive now because they're apparently discontinued and 'opportunists' are marking up leftover stock. that said, i liked them all, but if you can find them, you could start with Carrot Curry.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Millie's still makes a similar product.

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm Millie's still makes a similar product.
That sounds disgusting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spicy Tortilla Sipping Broth. Just like Mom used to make.