[Film] Star Trek 4

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Star Trek 4

Post by Isgrimnur »

Den of Geek, Jun 2016
After producer J.J. Abrams teased the possibility of Star Trek 4 last week, Paramount has officially confirmed that Star Trek 4 is happening. This should come as no surprise, especially after the successful week Star Trek Beyond had with critics. Here's the latest news about the Star Trek film...

We knew that Chris Hemsworth would be returning as Captain Kirk's dad George Kirk in Star Trek 4, the as-of-yet unnamed follow-up for Star Trek Beyond, the latest film in the Star Trek reboot universe, but it is still wildly unclear what that means.
The studio announced that the remaining crew of the Enterprise, with the exception of the late Anton Yelchin (Chekov), who passed away ..., will return for the sequel. This presumably means that Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, and Simon Pegg will all be back to reprise their roles. Hopefully, Sofia Boutella, who was introduced as Jaylah in Beyond, will be back as well.
As far as the story, Paramount shared the following teaser in a press release: "Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father."
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [Film] Star Trek 4

Post by hepcat »

The article mentions Anton died last week. That was in June of 2016. So it's a little dated. I wonder if there's been any new info on this?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Article was dated January of this year, but references the July release of Beyond. Updated above.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DoG, 10/14/17
Karl Urban has said that he would be up to reprise his role as the fan-favorite Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy in Star Trek 4, but noted he has no clue what’s going on with the franchise at the moment. The series’ third film, Star Trek Beyond, impressed critically, however its global box office take of $353 million was found to be underwhelming by Paramount Pictures, and news on a sequel has been slow to emerge.
However, despite Chris Pine (James Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) signing on for a fourth chapter, Quinto himself recently stated that it wasn’t a guarantee. If Paramount presses on, the writers will also have to contend with the loss of Chekov actor Anton Yelchin, who died in an accident before the release of Beyond. Abrams, who continues as a producer of the series, has said his role won’t be recast.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Urban needs to get his ass over to the Judge Dredd studio lot.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He just got done executing another comic book role. Give him some time to recover.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, I think just ditching the Bones character and playing Dredd on the Star Trek set would be great.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sounds like more alternate universe/time travel stuff from Abrams. Nice to see him trying something new.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What was the consensus here on the last Trek film? I remember the critics liking it, but I didn't care for it at all. I didn't hate it as much as the Khan movie though. The last one was the first Trek movie I didn't see at the theater and it's going to take a lot to get me to start paying for then again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wanted to like it, but for some reason it ended up annoying me more than I expected after reading the reviews. I'll have to go back and look at what I wrote about it at the time.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Consensus was that it was a decent action adventure film, but didn't feel much like Trek.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It was fine. I vaguely recall that it got pretty good reviews generally. Neither annoyed me nor especially blew me away, though.

Into Darkness was interesting to me just because I saw it once in the theatre, where I mostly thought it was ridiculous, and once at home, where I actually wound up just accepting its ridiculousness while enjoying how well executed it was.
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I'm not a big Star Trek fan (I mean, the older movies/series though I did watch most of them) but I've really liked the newer movies... I guess they could be called Ships in space and it would make as much sense as calling them Star Trek so it might explain why it's not a fans favorite.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huge fan but didn't go see the last movie.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I’m hearing that Quentin Tarantino is set to direct and co-write the next one.

As I consider Tarantino to be ridiculously overrated, this does not make me jump for joy.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 pm So I’m hearing that Quentin Tarantino is set to direct and co-write the next one.

As I consider Tarantino to be ridiculously overrated, this does not make me jump for joy.
I enjoy most of his stuff but I can’t really predict where the heck he’ll go with the script. Perhaps there’ll be a band of Orion ex-slave girls who pull galactic heists and this time they’ve stolen an item that will throw the balance power in the galaxy completely off kilter. All the major powers, Federation, Romulans, Klingons will be after it. Hmmm, maybe I have figured it out....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tarantino provided the story outline but he isn't writing this movie.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Providing the story outline would still fall under the co-writer heading in my book.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This is about the only thing that is giving me hope for Star Trek. Tarantino old very well steer this franchise in the right direction. I am not a fan of the last batch of Trek movies and will not see any more in the theater unless something changes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hmm...seems Tarantino wants to make it an R-rated Trek and then there's maybe Patrick Stewart.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tarantino had a nice run in his early days. But now he's just doing the same things over and over and over again. Violence and racism are added for fun (and often just to see what he can get away with), not for advancing the narrative. He uses out of order chronology when it really isn't necessary because it worked for him early in his career in film making. His characters talk like hipsters trying to be "street". And his scripts have become formulaic at this point. I feel like he just checks things off a list when writing them.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy his films most of the time. But it's rarely because he's doing anything intellectually satisfying, or even innovative or new. Now it's because I want to see how far he'll go. And while that can be fun, it's not something I want in a Star Trek film.

Marvel has done a fantastic job of getting really good, out of left field (in most cases) directors who work because they understand the material, but are still willing to make changes that fit within the context of the characters. Tarantino would want to make Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek, not Star Trek as directed by Quentin Tarantino.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:45 pm Tarantino would want to make Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek, not Star Trek as directed by Quentin Tarantino.
And yet his pitch was so good he immediately got an okay to do this project. That must say something about QT's vision.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All that proves is that it's likely he was pitching it to studio heads. Probably some of the same folks who keep Zack Snyder working even after multiple, critically panned films.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Did the last Star Trek movie seem like it was pushing the franchise in a good direction?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To some it did. It received pretty favorable reviews. I wasn’t a big fan of it, myself.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 pm To some it did. It received pretty favorable reviews. I wasn’t a big fan of it, myself.
I remember it being entertained by it, but that's about it. Don't ask me to recall the story.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say it felt like the cast was starting to capture some of the old magic the original crew had. Mainly because they paired up characters who hadn’t really had any significant screen time together in this reboot franchise.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm I will say it felt like the cast was starting to capture some of the old magic the original crew had. Mainly because they paired up characters who hadn’t really had any significant screen time together in this reboot franchise.
The problem is that a movie every couple of years is never going to really establish the chemistry among the cast like a TV show can accomplish. IMO, we are getting a series of individually entertaining movies that is completely lacking the character development we get over a longer series.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wouldn’t say completely lacking. It’s been slow, but the Bones and Spock pairing was classic Trek in its execution.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm I will say it felt like the cast was starting to capture some of the old magic the original crew had. Mainly because they paired up characters who hadn’t really had any significant screen time together in this reboot franchise.
Yeah, I felt that same way, that they had started to earn those relationships. I enjoyed it more than the first two.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I thoroughly enjoyed the cast, humor and feel of "Beyond". The finale made NO sense, and the plot felt like the TNG movies in the foolish yet comfy ways.

I do not know how Tarantino will approach this, because to my knowledge he has not taken on someone else's property before. If he approaches it with his encyclopedic nerd love of old properties and films in general and with the attention to suspense and tension mixed with conversational dialog like he got in Inglorious Basterds and Some of pulp fiction. It might be great. If he gives us over the top gratuity and self service like Eight, Django, or Some of Basterds, it might suck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jackie Brown was an Elmore Leonard story and Tarantino did a good job with it.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

McNutt wrote:Jackie Brown was an Elmore Leonard story and Tarantino did a good job with it.
Cool. I saw it once while inebriated. I should go back and actually absorb it. Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slash Film
Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth have both walked away from Star Trek 4 following failed salary negotiations. Pine was going to reprise his role as Captain James T. Kirk for the fourth time. Hemsworth was going to return via time travel as Kirk’s father, who was introduced in the 2009 reboot’s memorable prologue. What happens next, especially since the rest of the cast is still on board, remains uncertain.

The Hollywood Reporter has the story, and it offers up a dark side to a franchise built upon hope and optimism. After all, money doesn’t exist in the utopian world created by Gene Roddenberry over 50 years ago…but it sure as hell exists right here and now, and Pine and Hemsworth felt they weren’t getting enough of it to step aboard the bridge again. Or rather, they felt Paramount was not honoring an existing deal.

According to THR, the actors and their reps “insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.” That mediocre performer is Star Trek Beyond, a very good movie that massively underperformed when it opened in 2016. That film grossed $343 million worldwide, but it cost $190 million. That’s not a great ratio when other franchise films regularly cross the $1 billion mark these days.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd be up to take over Chekhov and Im guessing Hep will want the Uhura role so if you guys can do the rest we have a movie and some spare cash. :o

I should say I meant all that in fun Hep.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"