Invisalign as an adult

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sectoid

Invisalign as an adult

Post by Sectoid »

So, as noted in a previous thread, I started Invisalign on 11/3. I had to wait for a crown to be put in before I actually received the first set.
On 11/3 I went to the dentist's office and had the initial treatment. Warning, this is not for the faint of heart. First, since my teeth were so crowded, they had to make space. They did this, in my case, by filing between certain teeth with a metal filing strip which hurts a little. Some in the back on the top and most of the ones in the front on the bottom (where the most crowding is). After that they attached anchor points to my teeth in certain locations. They are basically the same material they use for fillings now. The white composite that is set via UV (thank you NASA). They are like little pointy nubs similar to the metal ones used for traditional braces, but without the drilling, wires, or anything. They are made to come off eventually, but in my case 2 on one of my front teeth have come off already. So, I have to go back in. Oh, FWIW, the stuff they use to prepare the surface of your teeth for the anchors tastes AWFUL! They said it was "flavored" and I asked if the label said it was flavored like hate because damn... They then put a temporary set of braces in to make sure everything fit and removed it.
Then, they put the first real set in, which is a little thicker and stronger. It was difficult at first and kind of felt weird. Now I can pop them in and out with relative ease. It is recommended that you wear them 22 hours a day. Meaning you only take them out to eat and brush your teeth.

Here are the Warnings/Instructions I was given:
No gum chewing, mints are OK.
While wearing them, no beverages with color. Meaning only water or clear drinks (Sprite, 7-up, Seltzer, etc.) While you can drink anything you want, it is not recommended because the beverage will get under the braces and possibly stain your teeth since it has no where to go until you take them out again.
You can smoke with them, but it is not recommended. Vaping is okay since it is generally colorless.
If they break, which it possible, it isn't a big deal because you get a new set every 2 weeks.
Cleaning is pretty simple. Remove the braces. Brush and floss as normal, but do not rinse your toothbrush after. Use your toothbrush to clean the braces and get any gunk that may have built up. Then clean your toothbrush as normal. Replace the braces and use mouthwash as normal (again, preferably colorless).

I have noticed that they are a little tight and get uncomfortable as the day goes on. Being able to remove them to eat is a big relief. I'm sure I'll get more and more used to them as time goes on. Oh, speaking of time, the estimate is 62 weeks in my case. Not too bad. A little more than a year. At which point we'll decide if I am okay with how my teeth turned out or if more are needed. If I am okay with it, I have to get a retainer for overnights.
My speech has changed a little and it is more noticeable in my head than in actual conversation. My friends have said it is a little off, but not too bad. "S"s are hard right now, but I should get used to them as time goes on.
This is a great diet aide. Not being able to snack without taking them out means you cut down on snacking. Which to me is a problem, especially before bed. Since I can't midnight snack, I've lost a few pounds already.
Oh, one more thing. They gave me a case with them to put them in when I eat. NEVER FORGET THE CASE. Otherwise, you are putting them on a napkin or something which is kind of nasty, IMO.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
coopasonic

Re: Invisalign as an adult

Post by coopasonic »

My dentist keeps pushing this. Last year I finally gave in and let them work up an estimate... $4529 out of pocket after insurance. Ummm.. no thanks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the write up! I'm still on the fence about doing this. My teeth are misaligned enough that I chipped one just by chewing normally - which I do not recommend. I'm planning to look into them sometime next year, so please let us know how it goes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm My dentist keeps pushing this. Last year I finally gave in and let them work up an estimate... $4529 out of pocket after insurance. Ummm.. no thanks.
Mine was about $7000, all-in. Considering that traditional braces are, at minimum, $10k in NJ, it is a bargain. My insurance didn't even touch it. If you are getting away with $4529, take it.
Model Mayhem # 641920
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sectoid wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm My dentist keeps pushing this. Last year I finally gave in and let them work up an estimate... $4529 out of pocket after insurance. Ummm.. no thanks.
Mine was about $7000, all-in. Considering that traditional braces are, at minimum, $10k in NJ, it is a bargain. My insurance didn't even touch it. If you are getting away with $4529, take it.
Yeah it was $7k total, my insurance would cover about $2500. I will do nothing because spending $4500 to spend a little less time with the hygienist isn't worth it to me. I don't care about the aesthetic impact. If I cared there, whitening would be cheaper and more effective.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm Yeah it was $7k total, my insurance would cover about $2500. I will do nothing because spending $4500 to spend a little less time with the hygienist isn't worth it to me. I don't care about the aesthetic impact. If I cared there, whitening would be cheaper and more effective.
I can understand that. In my case I've always hated my teeth. It is also partly regret. As a kid my parents gave me the option of getting braces, which they would have paid for. A decision that should not be left to a kid.
"Hey, would you rather have braces or a bunch of video games for Christmas?"
"Duh. No brainer, video games. Screw braces."
Model Mayhem # 641920
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

This is a long and tedious process. While it may yield results in the long-term, the short term is annoying. I really don't see a significant change since I started this 2 months ago, but then again, there is over a year left. I'm sure the change is there, just not visible to me since I see myself every day. Patience is not my strong suit.
I have gotten used to them, for the most part. My speech is better with them in and I'm not slurring my "S"es as much as when I first got them. Also, the drooling has been lessened as I get used to them.
Still a great diet aid as it is pretty damn hard to eat anything with them in. Granted, they are easy to take out, but I get nervous that I am being rude. It is pretty gross to take them out in public.
Model Mayhem # 641920
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sectoid wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 am Still a great diet aid as it is pretty damn hard to eat anything with them in. Granted, they are easy to take out, but I get nervous that I am being rude. It is pretty gross to take them out in public.
That's why I had my dental work done as a teen. No one even thinks about how gross it is to take your retainer out and put it on your lunch tray, because half the lunch trays have retainers on them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sectoid wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 am Still a great diet aid as it is pretty damn hard to eat anything with them in. Granted, they are easy to take out, but I get nervous that I am being rude. It is pretty gross to take them out in public.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 pm
This is me on dates now. *sigh*
Model Mayhem # 641920
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I just got my Invisalign braces today. I remember as a teen the dentist telling my mom I needed braces, but she didn't have the money for it. Whenever I looked into Invisalign as an adult, the price tag was an immediate non-starter.

My current dentist has been pushing it for years, and the quote I got last year was for $5,700. I don't have insurance, so the best I could do was to put it on Care Credit and pay it off interest-free over a couple of years. The other inconvenience is that their office that handles the braces is down in West Palm, about 45 minutes away from me.

Last year during one of my check-ups the dentist went for the hard sell. He said if I didn't straighten my teeth then I would have some serious issues in 10 years. So the wife and I decided that 2022 would be the year I get braces. And despite his fear-mongering, the dentist won't get that money. :mrgreen:

I found a local orthodontist who was highly recommended. They were cheaper than my dentist, offered a 2-year interest-free payment plan, and are only 15 minutes away vs 45.

So now, I'm 7 hours into my 2-year treatment plan. The Invisalign braces feel... weird. I am acutely aware of them at all times. There's a raised and slightly sharp burr along the edge that my tongue won't stop playing with. And when I talk for any length of time I start to sound like I have a denture that's coming loose.

But they are pretty close to invisible, which is nice. And you can take them out to eat and get a bit of a break. I also do some voice acting from home, so being able to take these out while I'm recording is awesome. You have to wear them for at least 22 hours a day. That shouldn't be a problem, even with an hour spent recording. I'm a quick eater luckily.

The lack of being able to snack already sucks. I'm used to grazing during the day. Now I'm chugging water instead of eating (yay!) but I'm also running to the bathroom every 20 minutes (boo!).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lucky you. My bottom denture hasn't been usable for two years. My dentist wanted to do a procedure that calls for an new appliance that screws into implants. The estimated cost: $25K.

I make do with only 4 front teeth on my lower jaw. (no molars) Yes, it's challenging to eat most foods, but before I can afford that procedure, I'm likely to be on a jello diet.

Edit: I should add, that $25K included the "friends and family discount" -- my now former dentist is one of my oldest friends, dating back to when we were 6 years old. Last year, he took down his shingle and went into teaching full time. I believe the list price of the proposed procedure is somewhere in the $40K range.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I was not prepared for how much my teeth would shift and hurt after just a few hours. Eating dinner was a chore. It felt like all of my front teeth were out of place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My daughter started on this last week. In the neighborhood of $5K I think. I hastily signed the paperwork, couldn't bear to actually process the numbers. She's already had braces and a retainer, this is just the finishing move. I hope.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT