Active Shooter [Aurora, IL]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Active Shooter [Aurora, IL]

Post by Moliere »

Because it seems to keep happening.

3 dead, multiple students injured in shooting at school in Northern California
Three people are dead and multiple students have been transported after an "active shooter situation" at an elementary school in Tehama County, officials said.

According to local law enforcement, there were "multiple victims in multiple locations." The suspected shooter is dead, police said.

There was no immediate estimate on the number of injured victims, but police confirmed that "a number of students" were transported to hospitals.

Police said there were "at least five" shooting scenes.

Ann Bates, administrative assistant to the superintendent of Corning Union Elementary School District, confirmed injuries at the school, but said there were no deaths at this time.
Last edited by Moliere on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Re: Active Shooter [fill in the blank]

Post by hepcat »

Have these tragic events really increased in frequency? Or is it simply that we're now more aware of them due to news, politics, etc.?
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

An elementary school? Goddammit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm An elementary school? Goddammit.
Exactly my feeling as well. Our society is sick and ill. And only getting sicker.
Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm An elementary school? Goddammit.
Exactly my feeling as well. Our society is sick and ill. And only getting sicker.
Yeah, that was literally what I said to myself when I linked to the story. Ugh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm Have these tragic events really increased in frequency? Or is it simply that we're now more aware of them due to news, politics, etc.?
We're just more aware. Relatively, the US is a very safe place at this time.

Hearing about these things more skews our views dramatically. Still disgusting.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm Have these tragic events really increased in frequency? Or is it simply that we're now more aware of them due to news, politics, etc.?
Its a bit of both, although this year has been historic.

http://time.com/4965022/deadliest-mass- ... s-history/
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Five killed, 10 hospitalized in Rancho Tehama shooting
Five people have been killed — including the shooter — in a mass shooting about 15 miles southwest of Red Bluff that also hospitalized at least 10 people, including children.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

That is a pretty rural and probably "redneck" area of California. I have been in the area many times, although never in Rancho Tehema. I would expect many people in this area own guns of their own.

No clue if this was a husband going after a wife or something like that?
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm No clue if this was a husband going after a wife or something like that?
random targets?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Can we sticky this thread please? *sigh*
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Moliere wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm No clue if this was a husband going after a wife or something like that?
random targets?
Well I have seen an article (LA Times I think) which said this may have started with some kind of domestic squabble. Maybe between neighbors.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We need a Thoughts & Prayers button.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 pm We need a Thoughts & Prayers button.
:auto-ambulance: :think: :wub: :pray:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

At the risk of R&P, what does it tell us that the POTUS hasn't even managed to work out filling in the blanks?

His tweet last night (still up as of this post) about Tehama County appears to be a re-run of a tweet about Sutherland Springs.
Trump on Nov 14 wrote:May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI and Law Enforcement has arrived.
Trump on Nov 5 wrote:May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI & law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan.
EDIT: The Nov 14 tweet has been deleted and doesn't show any more, but it's not hard to find screenshots of it.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:At the risk of R&P, what does it tell us that the POTUS hasn't even managed to work out filling in the blanks?

His tweet last night (still up as of this post) about Tehama County appears to be a re-run of a tweet about Sutherland Springs.
Trump on Nov 14 wrote:May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI and Law Enforcement has arrived.
Trump on Nov 5 wrote:May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI & law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan.
Perhaps since California is no friend to Trump he really meant to tweet about Texas. Let those liberals reap what they sow and all that.

But in reality it's just a rote gesture at the level of "thoughts and prayers" and his tweets on this like many other politicians sentiments when this happens are empty form letters to the people.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here you go
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am
Here you go
Fantastic.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Road rage never used to be common. For most of my life the people who drove with any kind of attitude were the anomalies. Everyone else was 'normal'. Then over time I noticed more and more people, including women with kids in their car, starting shiat while driving. Now I take it as a given that everyone is driving with attitude, that's the new normal.

Maybe these shootings are part of that same phenomenon. It could signal a move to a more aggressive society, or one with less restraint, or some kind of one upmanship thing where everyone wants to outdo the other guy. Rage quitting got to be a thing among videogame players. I grew up playing videogames and not once did I ever do that or see someone do the equivalent of that. It was certainly not common enough to be mentioned on any show or magazine covering gaming.

If people in general these days feel free to be more over the top in behavior, more in your face, more prone to acting out in blind rage, why wouldn't the shooters be too?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe it’s because they’ve tainted our precious bodily fluids.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 pm Road rage never used to be common. For most of my life the people who drove with any kind of attitude were the anomalies. Everyone else was 'normal'. Then over time I noticed more and more people, including women with kids in their car, starting shiat while driving. Now I take it as a given that everyone is driving with attitude, that's the new normal.

Maybe these shootings are part of that same phenomenon. It could signal a move to a more aggressive society, or one with less restraint, or some kind of one upmanship thing where everyone wants to outdo the other guy. Rage quitting got to be a thing among videogame players. I grew up playing videogames and not once did I ever do that or see someone do the equivalent of that. It was certainly not common enough to be mentioned on any show or magazine covering gaming.

If people in general these days feel free to be more over the top in behavior, more in your face, more prone to acting out in blind rage, why wouldn't the shooters be too?

You make it sound like the core of our social interaction has moved to some sort of medium where anonymity and lack of consequences teaches people to act according to their lowest nature.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

There was a shooting last night in Ortonville (northern Oakland County, MI) - most of the area schools closed today just to be safe. After what happened in CA, I was happy with their choice.

Knowing is half the battle - knowing about all the crap going down in the world is about half the battle to being scared to death I am beginning to think. Granted knowing about it is better than it happening and people not knowing. But still...

As of what I could find now, 1 person recently released from jail shot his ex and another man in her apartment. At least 1 of their 4 kids was there, did not get shot. No one else shot so far, but that article still had police looking for him.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The thread title keeps making me wonder if there are Passive Shooters.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Passive shooter - would that like Dick Cheney and his deer hunting incident? (Inappropriate for this thread, just first thought that popped into my head in response to Kracken's comment).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm The thread title keeps making me wonder if there are Passive Shooters.
Makes me think of an Inactive Shooter - some fat slob lounging on his front porch shooting at passers by.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Inactive shooter.

Something for xMas for the inactive shooter in your family.

“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm The thread title keeps making me wonder if there are Passive Shooters.
The serial killer in Florida might qualify as a passive shooter, in between incidents.
Police in Tampa, Florida, were investigating whether a fatal shooting on Tuesday could be linked to a possible serial killer who is feared to have murdered three victims in a string of night attacks terrorizing a city neighborhood.

The 60-year-old victim, Ronald Felton, was shot from behind shortly before 5 a.m. as he was crossing a street in central Tampa’s Seminole Heights area, interim Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan told reporters.

“Right now we are treating it as though it is related (to the previous killings) until we can rule otherwise,” Dugan said.

Three people were shot to death in Seminole Heights last month, two of them while waiting at bus stops.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My local shooting range / gun club is growing at amazing rate. They have added a lot of lanes in the last year or so. They also have started offering an Able-Shepherd curriculum conducted in their associated Active Shooter Response Training (ASRT) program. The ASRT stuff includes one of those 3-D courses with pop-up targets and such. The demand for this sort of training is huge. They even offer group courses for businesses and schools to train them survival skills in the case of an active shooter.

The question I often ask myself is: do I depend on the security guards in the average mall, or do I take it upon myself to pursue a skillset that might contribute to my survival? FWIW, I wish my company would offer training to its employees for this sort of thing. It seems like a higher need than just basic fire alarm testing and evacuation drills. When I think about this sort of stuff, I feel vulnerable. I sometimes miss being in the Navy and having a level of training and competence that I shared with my peers (whom I could depend on).
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:16 pm The question I often ask myself is: do I depend on the security guards in the average mall, or do I take it upon myself to pursue a skillset that might contribute to my survival?
Everyone should have situational awareness training. No reason not to, even if you're content to let mall security protect you. The number one goal is the survival of yourself and your family. Having a firearm isn't a necessity. It's just a tool. Being aware if where the exits are is another tool. Depending on the situation, the latter may be more important for saving your life.

Taking on an active shooter means that you might end up shot by the police (or another armed civilian). If you're not trained to respond, it's usually best to protect and evacuate who you can. It's 10% gun and 90% situational training.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Run. Hide. Fight.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:16 pm The question I often ask myself is: do I depend on the security guards in the average mall, or do I take it upon myself to pursue a skillset that might contribute to my survival?
Is your local mall security armed? If not, then they will most likely be 0% help in an active shooter situation. If so, then you may get it up to about 50% if lucky..and I think that's being generous. Typical mall security just isnt paid well enough for them to risk themselves for you.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My point exactly.. I don't have any faith in rent-a-cops. I not only doubt their motivation, but also their training. Luckily, I have received a lot of situational awareness training over the years, starting with the military. In my current job (defense contracts) its usually called operational security. I just wish we had actual active shooter drills. I'm strongly considering going into an Able Shepherd track as my 2018 resolution. Even if I do not choose to carry, the training will be enormously helpful both for personal safety and my competitive pistol hobby (NRA action shooting and IDPA).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pmI don't have any faith in rent-a-cops.
I don't have faith in the average citizen's ability to operate a motor vehicle. The idea of random people with guns stepping in to provide assistance during an active shooter situation? Absolutely terrifying.
Moliere wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pmRun. Hide. Fight.
Yup.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I just found out there are amazing hidden closets in my law firm's corridors. If you didn't know the trick with the trim, you'll never spot them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 pm
Everyone should have situational awareness training.
Or we could not have 300 million guns kicking around the country, but hey....
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And 299+ million of them aren’t used for crimes every day.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 am And 299+ million of them aren’t used for crimes every day.
Only on weekends?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 am And 299+ million of them aren’t used for crimes every day.
While true, it does not make the pervasiveness of guns in this country reasonable or acceptable. Legal, sure. Sane? I'd say not. According to the NY Times, we've had 555 mass shootings in 511 days (starting with the Pulse nightclub shooting).Another graph of theirs shows 270 million guns and 90 mass shootings here from 1966 to 2012, and during that same time period we had 31% of the world's mass shootings. And a direct quote: "Adjusted for population, only Yemen has a higher rate of mass shootings among countries with more than 10 million people — a distinction Mr. Lankford urged to avoid outliers. Yemen has the world’s second-highest rate of gun ownership after the United States." We're 4.4% of the world's population with 42% of the guns. W.T.F. Own a gun, fine. Get licensed. Registered. Tested. Renew the registration and licensing and testing. Prove it is in a safe place. Keep ammo somewhere else. REGULATE MORE.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

In my eyes it is very sad anyone has to talk about situational awareness and worry about getting shot while going to work or the mall. I just cannot fathom having to think in that way ever.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reemul wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 am In my eyes it is very sad anyone has to talk about situational awareness and worry about getting shot while going to work or the mall. I just cannot fathom having to think in that way ever.
It's not just for random mass shootings. It's for fire, natural disasters, robbery, mass panic/crush of crowd, some crazy guy looking for a fight, etc.

I cannot fathom being in an environment and not immediately scanning for exits and other avenues of egress and/or not having a quick, general plan if shit goes pear.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT