Active Shooter [Aurora, IL]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Active Shooter [fill in the blank]

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am somewhere between your two extremes. I won't say I never do it (especially if I am in a sketchy city/country/environment), but it's rare.

Likelihood of my immediately scanning say a local restaurant or store for general threats and scoping out exits is nil, for instance.
Moliere

Re: Active Shooter [Santa Fe High School]

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Took me a second to understand, but it seems there is a new shooter today at the same high school as the shooter from the Fall of last year.

Is that correct?

Edit:. No, Moliere has edited the title of the original post to reflect today's shooter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is not the time to talk about this. Seriously stop the world I want off.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm This is not the time to talk about this. Seriously stop the world I want off.
The first stage of recovery from addiction is recognizing you have a problem. Now you just have to do something about it.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm This is not the time to talk about this. Seriously stop the world I want off.
The death toll makes this the deadliest school shooting since the one in February at Parkland, Florida

That this is a newsworthy factoid is....
And naturally I had to check

http://wgntv.com/2018/05/18/there-has-b ... is-year-2/

:cry:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moat_Man wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm
The first stage of recovery from addiction is recognizing you have a problem.
Sadly, we're not even there yet.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wonder if there is something altering our brains. Our diet full of processed junk? Plastic crap we buy from Dollar Tree with lead in it? The heat? Maybe we'll all end up as a form of zombie that needs put down. :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Buried within this news article, a comment from a student that was there:
“It has been happening everywhere. I wasn’t surprised it happened here,” one student told KTRK. “I was just scared. I just kept running.”
The idea that kids are expecting these types of things to happen is depressing beyond words.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

em2nought wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm I wonder if there is something altering our brains. Our diet full of processed junk? Plastic crap we buy from Dollar Tree with lead in it? The heat? Maybe we'll all end up as a form of zombie that needs put down. :think:
Much of the rest of the industrialized world eats the same food and buys the same plastic crap. They don't have this problem with mass shootings.

I wonder what could be different here?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 pm Buried within this news article, a comment from a student that was there:
“It has been happening everywhere. I wasn’t surprised it happened here,” one student told KTRK. “I was just scared. I just kept running.”
The idea that kids are expecting these types of things to happen is depressing beyond words.
And how might it be affecting their education in ways that aren't obvious on the surface? How well can you really learn with the specter of being gunned down always in the back of your mind?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Keep those thoughts and prayers coming, folks. They work really well.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

raising.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:51 pm
em2nought wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm I wonder if there is something altering our brains. Our diet full of processed junk? Plastic crap we buy from Dollar Tree with lead in it? The heat? Maybe we'll all end up as a form of zombie that needs put down. :think:
Much of the rest of the industrialized world eats the same food and buys the same plastic crap. They don't have this problem with mass shootings.

The United States is different in a lot of ways. We are a young country for one thing. If a European country went through their gun phase 500 years ago, no one today would talk about it assuming they even knew about it. Everyone just assumes today's UK or today's Japan is the same UK or Japan that has always existed.

Another thing is I think we are more aggressive. We did drop atomic bombs on civilian cities, who else has ever done that? I'm not saying that was wrong, I'm using that to illustrate a point. Some people are peaceful, they don't even talk about committing acts of violence. Some people talk about kicking ass a lot, even though they never actually fight anyone. Some people actually do fight a lot. I think, as a country, we fall into that last category. That would explain why we seem to breed more of these shooters than other countries. It also offers hope for the future, since we may over time grow out of this.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Haven't things like this happened elsewhere and we just don't hear about it 24/7 for a week or two, until somehow it is all forgotten in the next round of Trump tweets or the next major sporting event.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Today's mass slaughter of children is the worst since... what is today, Friday?"

Just the way we have to announce these things makes me want to throw up my hands.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

gameoverman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:55 pm

The United States is different in a lot of ways. We are a young country for one thing. If a European country went through their gun phase 500 years ago, no one today would talk about it assuming they even knew about it. Everyone just assumes today's UK or today's Japan is the same UK or Japan that has always existed.

Another thing is I think we are more aggressive. We did drop atomic bombs on civilian cities, who else has ever done that? I'm not saying that was wrong, I'm using that to illustrate a point. Some people are peaceful, they don't even talk about committing acts of violence. Some people talk about kicking ass a lot, even though they never actually fight anyone. Some people actually do fight a lot. I think, as a country, we fall into that last category. That would explain why we seem to breed more of these shooters than other countries. It also offers hope for the future, since we may over time grow out of this.
The advanced countries of the world with reasonable gun laws and low rates of gun violence ALL have violent histories into modern times.

On the long historical scale, Western Europe has been one of the most warlike and vicious regions on Earth, but somehow in recent generations they've still managed to make gun violence almost a non-issue.

To say the UK or France or Germany or Japan or even Sweden is "peaceful" misses the huge point that (despite recent histories of genocide and/or imperial warfare) they've managed to contain gun violence and keep domestic peace while our obsession with heavily armed privacy has done the opposite.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gameoverman wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I was reading an article the other day about the underlying paradigms which drive different styles of conflict resolution. The gist was that in America, when two ideas clash, it is all about digging in your heels and forcing your opponent to relent to your position. In Asiatic cultures, the underlying principle is to get as close to your opponent's position as possible without sacrificing the core of your idea.

It was a bit of an oversimplification, to be sure, but I found the idea very interesting as it relates to ultimately driving aggressive and/or violent behavior in the US.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ubiquity of firearms is definitely a factor, but firearms have been ubiquitous here since the colonial days and the dreaded semi-automatic firearms have been ubiquitous for over 100 years. So what has exacerbated things to the point that out outliers are more common and more crazy? Not sure. But it is not as simple as one solution. Banning [x] guns alone won't do it. Pouring money into mental health alone won't do it. Arming [x] alone won't do it.

Since this is EBG I won't go any further except to say there is no single magic answer.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Nowhere in the industrialized world are psychoactive medications so eagerly prescribed to children, sometimes as young as 2 years old. We are reaping the long-term effect.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Nowhere in the industrialized world are psychoactive medications so eagerly prescribed to children, sometimes as young as 2 years old. We are reaping the long-term effect.
I agree but unfortunately that belief seems to have a lot of trouble gaining traction. Mostly because they actually help a lot of people as well. Which makes it another difficult thing to tackle.

The big thing is like the NRA likes to limit gun violence information, the medical community likes to limit discussion of mental issues and SSRI use etc.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Scuzz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:58 pm Haven't things like this happened elsewhere and we just don't hear about it 24/7 for a week or two, until somehow it is all forgotten in the next round of Trump tweets or the next major sporting event.
I'm more focused on overall rates of gun violence - ours is eight times higher than Canada for example.

But I'm sure it has nothing to do with our gun laws being much weaker than theirs. :doh:
Rip

Post by Rip »

What has been increasing right along with the nonsensical violent shooter problem?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/antidepres ... -15-years/

Just sayin.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm What has been increasing right along with the nonsensical violent shooter problem?

Just sayin.
Canadians use antidepressents at nearly the same rate as the US and don't have our rates of gun violence or mass shootings.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:23 pm
Rip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm What has been increasing right along with the nonsensical violent shooter problem?

Just sayin.
Canadians use antidepressents at nearly the same rate as the US and don't have our rates of gun violence or mass shootings.
There is more than one way to react violently. Sometimes it is just being more likely to be suicidal. I'm pretty sure Canada recognizes this as everyone else has since they issued an advisory on it back in 2004.
Health Canada issued an advisory to the public stating that stronger warnings have been placed on antidepressants. These warnings indicate that people taking these drugs at any age are at greater risk of behavioral or emotional changes including self-harm or harm to others. The advisory said, “[A] small number of patients taking drugs of this type may feel worse instead of better…. For example, they may experience unusual feelings of agitation, hostility or anxiety, or have impulsive or disturbing thoughts that could involve self-harm or harm to others.”
Despite 27 international drug regulatory warnings on psychiatric drugs citing effects of mania, hostility, violence and even homicidal ideation, and dozens of high profile shootings/killings tied to psychiatric drug use, there has yet to be a federal investigation on the link between psychiatric drugs and acts of senseless violence.
Between 2004 and 2012, there have been 14,773 reports to the U.S. FDA’s MedWatch system on psychiatric drugs causing violent side effects including: 1,531 cases of homicidal ideation/homicide, 3,287 cases of mania & 8,219 cases of aggression. Note: The FDA estimates that less than 1% of all serious events are ever reported to it, so the actual number of side effects occurring are most certainly higher.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm
There is more than one way to react violently. Sometimes it is just being more likely to be suicidal. I'm pretty sure Canada recognizes this as everyone else has since they issued an advisory on it back in 2004.

Canadian suicide rates are nearly the same as the US yet their rate of gun violence is 1/8 of ours.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Just sayin.
Antidepressants are just one of a dozen different medication classes. Plus, it's not about the overall rate of use - it's specifically the rate of use by young children, and there is no consensus on the true long-term effects of the chemicals on their (still developing) brains. Also, most side effects are worse in children and teenagers (consider that suicidal ideation is an actual side effect of some of these drugs that are supposed to help someone who may already be suicidal...)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:45 pm
Rip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Canadian suicide rates are nearly the same as the US yet their rate of gun violence is 1/8 of ours.
The rates of pretty much all crime is lower in Canada.

As far as suicide rate, what you are saying that lower gun ownership doesn't substantially decrease suicides. That one I can agree with.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 pm Buried within this news article, a comment from a student that was there:
The clip, sad beyond words.

And, predictably, the MAGA crowd is already starting to claim she was coached and/or reading from a script. :evil:
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

That is truly frightening.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 pm
And, predictably, the MAGA crowd is already starting to claim she was coached and/or reading from a script. :evil:
Somebody give that little girl an Oscar.

a) Where are her parents?
b) Why are they letting her be interviewed by these vultures?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Reset the clock to it's too soon to talk about

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/25/ac ... s-say.html

:(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Active Shooter [Indiana middle school]

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In the Indiana incident, one teacher and one student injured. It looks like the teacher was shot 3 times while engaging/fighting the shooter. Shooter was a student. Two handguns.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Little B 9.4 hasn't ever mentioned anything about school shootings, but I know I need to talk with her about it.

I'm torn between proactively raising the topic and running the risk of her panicking about bad guys coming into her school with guns, and making sure she's aware/prepared in case something happens.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm hoping we get some information about where the student got the guns because if it was from the parents and they were unsecured we need to have a serious talk about what to do about that.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm Little B 9.4 hasn't ever mentioned anything about school shootings, but I know I need to talk with her about it.

I'm torn between proactively raising the topic and running the risk of her panicking about bad guys coming into her school with guns, and making sure she's aware/prepared in case something happens.
I'd say have the talk. No doubt her school is already doing drills, might as well get your 2 cents in.

I've had the talk with my 7 yo, probably first back when she was 5 (age appropriate generalities at that time of course). Hell, her preschool had active shooter drills when she was 2.5, though they were just "safety drills" as far as the students knew. And her preschool was locked down tighter than the maternity ward.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm Little B 9.4 hasn't ever mentioned anything about school shootings, but I know I need to talk with her about it.

How are you going to prepare her for something like that? The kids at Sandy Hook did what they practice in active shooter drills, and got massacred for it, which is why I am totally against doing active shooter drills in school. I've pulled my smaller kids out of school a couple of times when I knew they were going to do them (and now they don't let anyone know beforehand).

Reminds me of the silliness of the "Duck and Cover" drills in case of nuclear bombs.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.