Nurses laugh as 89 yo veteran dies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Nurses laugh as 89 yo veteran dies

Post by Daehawk »

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/video-sho ... -for-help/

Sad. people like that should be in prison not out walking free. Shit of the Earth.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Re: Nurses laugh as 89 yo veteran dies

Post by tjg_marantz »

I've seen this story a few times over the last 48 hours and I cannot bring myself to click on it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ditto.

Having been through several family members hospitalised and dying, I can say the vast majority of healthcare workers are fantastic, caring people.

I find the clickbait title hard to believe, and the fact that it's usually a tabloidy paper doesn't help, either.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I read the article. It says basically just what the headline does. They were standing around trying to revive him while laughing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant tell from the story if its VA healthcare.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

As a nurse supervisor myself, I have very strong opinions about this, which I won't share.

But essentially what they did/didn't do is criminal and they should be held criminally liable.

However, I'm unfortunately not surprised. There are countless individuals that should have no reason caring for sick or dying people.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

As someone who receives calls from nurses who need an ambulance, I couldn't agree more.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

The laughing is unacceptable but forgivable.

Failing to do the job in rendering prompt care to the poor man is unforgivable.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

There's a big difference between RN and CNA. This article doesn't say what type of licenses they had. But CNAs don't get a lot of respect and therefore aren't paid well, so those who employ them get what they get. That doesn't even get into how these places can have a minimal staff to cut costs, which means overworking the employees on a constant basis, which doesn't make for good employee attitude.

I'm not excusing these two by the way, just saying in my opinion this kind of thing won't change without a change in public attitudes. Does anyone care what goes on in a nursing home except when a video like this comes out? Not from what I've seen. Does our society consider the people who work in nursing homes to be doing vital and important work? Not from what I've seen.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I expect every possible effort when a life is at stake. That's the job.

I'd rather not read the article, but do we know for sure that they didn't make every effort at their disposal? If so, I'd say the laughing might just be their own private business, at least if the patient was beyond perceiving it. People who deal with death have to develop defenses against its weight. I'm sure we would be shocked and appalled at the way cops and ambulance drivers and morticians talk about us when our time comes.

In short, was this cruelty or just gallows humor?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The video shows the World War II veteran repeatedly calling for help, saying he can’t breathe. It also shows the nurses failing to take life-saving measures and laughing as they try to start an oxygen machine.

The family of 89-year-old James Dempsey of Woodstock, Georgia, sued the Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation Center in 2014.
The nurses included a nursing supervisor who told attorneys that, when she learned Dempsey had stopped breathing, she rushed to his room and took over CPR, keeping it up until paramedics arrived. The video shows that nobody was doing CPR when she arrived, and she did not start immediately.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can we assume there wasn't a DNR order in place?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Would all of us be just as upset if it had been an 89 year old veterinarian instead of an 89 year old veteran?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

gameoverman wrote:There's a big difference between RN and CNA. This article doesn't say what type of licenses they had. But CNAs don't get a lot of respect and therefore aren't paid well, so those who employ them get what they get. That doesn't even get into how these places can have a minimal staff to cut costs, which means overworking the employees on a constant basis, which doesn't make for good employee attitude.

I'm not excusing these two by the way, just saying in my opinion this kind of thing won't change without a change in public attitudes. Does anyone care what goes on in a nursing home except when a video like this comes out? Not from what I've seen. Does our society consider the people who work in nursing homes to be doing vital and important work? Not from what I've seen.
I'm going to assume this was a CNA and perhaps an LPN.

Regardless, I've worked and managed some damn good CNA's, LPN's, and RN.

I've also worked and managed some disgusting individuals who are each of these nurse disciplines. I gaurantee these nurses have been some lazy ass caregivers that have neglected patients before. Not the first time.

I agree somewhat about defense mechanisms for healthcare workers that deal with sick and dying people. But as a nurse who use to run resuscitation efforts in a major hospital, I can assure you I've never seen that kind of laughing and disregard for human life as that video depicts.

I'd also be willing to bet their behavior would have been different had they'd known it was being filmed. Which also means they are pieces of shit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
malchior

Post by malchior »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm Would all of us be just as upset if it had been an 89 year old veterinarian instead of an 89 year old veteran?
I would be - I just watched the video linked. It is infuriating. The headline about laughing is buying the lede to sensationalize it. More importantly they were derelict in providing care. The man called for help and didn't get it immediately. Once he was in obvious distress they dragged their feet escalating aid. They didn't perform CPR as they claimed. They weren't taking this man's life seriously. It deserved an investigation by the medical authorities.

Unfortunately that process was short-circuited and that is another thing that bugs me about this. The nursing home was able to cover this up and protect the licenses of those nurses for three years. Why? Due to a confidentiality agreement in the settlement. That was only possible because the family took the money and accepted that covenant. That really angers me. If that was my grandfather you can be damn sure it'd be money *AND* their heads *OR* their heads. It appears despite having clear video evidence they decided to take the easy money and shut up about their loved one. That is gross.