2018 Olympics - South Korea

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: 2018 Olympics - South Korea

Post by Scuzz »

Rumpy wrote: ↑Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm Doping in a curling event? Doesn't it strike anyone as rather excessive? But leave it to the Russians. I'm sure they've made their nation proud.
Beta Blockers to help with nerves? Golfers have been accused of that in the past.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean I think additional strength is going to help in pretty much any event (even if it just lets you broom faster or move the stone more easily), though the marginal benefit (and thus the risk-to-reward calculus) I'm sure varies wildly from one sport / event to another. But I doubt that there's any event in which steroids / PEDs would be of no benefit.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, it just seems like a whole lot of risk for a low-key sport. This is a sport where a lot of finesse and thinking is involved and where decisions are made before committing to any actions where the shuffling on the ice would be the only real part where any difference would be made. On the other hand, maybe that's exactly why they chose to do it with this sport as they maybe thought it would attract the least concern.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Russian bobsledder fails drug test at Winter Olympics

But...but she has a shirt saying she doesn't dope.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, she doesn't "do doping". She has someone else do it for her.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Germany v. Putin’s Dopers. Men’s hockey gold medal match. OT.

Go Germany!!!

[Edited to add: Damn. :? ]
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Poo
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Pretty great finish to regulation time. Glad it didn't go to the shootout. Was pulling for the underdog here, though.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." β€” Elontra
naednek

Post by naednek »

Moliere wrote: ↑Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm Image

did he win a medal?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Great panties on that guy.

I am always ambivalent about the Olympics (US has crappy coverage) due largely to the huge emphasis on the medal count (esp. gold) and, imo, not enough actual coverage of the events. But I ended up watching a lot of the games this time 'round. Curling fascinates me and some of those shots were just amazing. I also really enjoyed the snowboarding events, especially slopestyle. The sliding events blew me away, both in concept (you're going 80+ mph down this course head first???) and in the results - the ties in two events (gold in two-man, silver in four-man). The cross-country ski events were also full of drama.

I need to look into what it would cost to watch some other country's coverage. My parents-in-law used to pay to get Canadian coverage of the games.

Loved the guy from Tonga, and I loved that the Jamaicans and Nigerians had bobsled teams. And Ester Ledecka - what can I say?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Just saw that viewership is down from the last Winter Olympics. Depends on the demographic and viewing source, but it would seem that NBC had to give "make-goods" to advertisers for not making their numbers. Thinking that the lackluster showing on the skating side didn't help matters but there's obviously more to it than that.

For me, there's only so much Olympics I can actually sit and watch. :(
-mf
Bad Demographic

One thing that I found interesting is that down here, on the channel out of El Paso, we kept getting this ad for a guy running for Probate Judge in El Paso. During the Olympics. In Prime Time. Super simple ad but on a lot.
Not that that has anything specific to do with the Olympics.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

MonkeyFinger wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm For me, there's only so much Olympics I can actually sit and watch. :(
I've watched every night but I'll do something else also (Skyrim, Reddit, or planning for work). I like almost all of the events but except for a few things (half pipe, the two -cross events, short track relay, and curling which was barely on in prime time) I just can't sit and watch competitor after competitor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bad Demographic wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm One thing that I found interesting is that down here, on the channel out of El Paso, we kept getting this ad for a guy running for Probate Judge in El Paso. During the Olympics. In Prime Time. Super simple ad but on a lot.
The primary is next Tuesday.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Bad Demographic wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm One thing that I found interesting is that down here, on the channel out of El Paso, we kept getting this ad for a guy running for Probate Judge in El Paso. During the Olympics. In Prime Time. Super simple ad but on a lot.
So are you voting for him?
Black Lives Matter.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Bad Demographic wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 pm Great panties on that guy.

I am always ambivalent about the Olympics (US has crappy coverage) due largely to the huge emphasis on the medal count (esp. gold) and, imo, not enough actual coverage of the events. But I ended up watching a lot of the games this time 'round. Curling fascinates me and some of those shots were just amazing. I also really enjoyed the snowboarding events, especially slopestyle. The sliding events blew me away, both in concept (you're going 80+ mph down this course head first???) and in the results - the ties in two events (gold in two-man, silver in four-man). The cross-country ski events were also full of drama.

I need to look into what it would cost to watch some other country's coverage. My parents-in-law used to pay to get Canadian coverage of the games.

Loved the guy from Tonga, and I loved that the Jamaicans and Nigerians had bobsled teams. And Ester Ledecka - what can I say?
US has worst coverage. After couple of olympics, i gave mid finger to USA coverage. When i watched US coverage, i feel like i am being force fed non stop drama, advertising, and actually minimal sports. I got out of my way to find good Olympic Chanel.

Last 3 olympics, i watched 2014 Russian stream, 2016 Bristish stream and 2018 Canadain stream. VPN for few bucks and you can watch anything. If you dont like US coverage, dont watch it. I cant watch it, its like drama show with sports lightly drizzled in.

To give example, when i discovered russina app for 2014, it was 2$ for full access to stream of pretty much all olympics with 24 hour recording. For example, Russian stream covered scientific explanation of different ice skating events, explaing different length of blades for different skaters and for ski events, different type of lubrication used for skies for different weather. It was really scientific, and visual. I was blown away, i honestly couldn't believe how much better it was. as it was my first olympics not of US coverage. Level of coverage was not 100% better, it was 500% better. Since than, i made sure to never watch US coverage. Both British and Canadian coverage were miles better than USA. IN summary, worst Olympic coverage is USA.
Bad Demographic

El Guapo wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:54 am
I suppose I could join the legion of illegal voters, cross the state line and vote. But nah. Too much work.
I just wonder who is footing his advertising bill.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Bad Demographic wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 am
I suppose I could join the legion of illegal voters, cross the state line and vote. But nah. Too much work.
Well, as long as he is on the Soros approved list you can do it and get a sweet paycheck out of it, too.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bad Demographic wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 am
Affiliates usually get a few local spots to sell. During the Superbowl we had a few governor candidate ads.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Madmarcus wrote: ↑ I like almost all of the events but except for a few things (half pipe, the two -cross events, short track relay, and curling which was barely on in prime time) I just can't sit and watch competitor after competitor.
The only time I saw any curling was the semifinal men's game at 5 am. A few nights ago the channel blurb on Sling indicated the finals indicated it would be on, I stayed up late and they changed the blurb, removing the curling and instead showed reruns of the earlier programming. :x If ratings are down, this is one reason.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Madmarcus wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm For me, there's only so much Olympics I can actually sit and watch. :(
I've watched every night but I'll do something else also (Skyrim, Reddit, or planning for work). I like almost all of the events but except for a few things (half pipe, the two -cross events, short track relay, and curling which was barely on in prime time) I just can't sit and watch competitor after competitor.
Oh, that wasn't to imply they weren't on all the time at the house. My wife falls into much the same boat, she either is at her computer in the kitchen, "watching" with her back to the screen while she plays HOG or Match 3 games. Or she's on the couch doing the same on her iPad. Now that the Olympics are over, she'll go back to her regular diet of watching those murder-death-kill ID Channel shows. :?
-mf
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Matrix wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 am
US has worst coverage. After couple of olympics, i gave mid finger to USA coverage. When i watched US coverage, i feel like i am being force fed non stop drama, advertising, and actually minimal sports. I got out of my way to find good Olympic Chanel.

Last 3 olympics, i watched 2014 Russian stream, 2016 Bristish stream and 2018 Canadain stream. VPN for few bucks and you can watch anything. If you dont like US coverage, dont watch it. I cant watch it, its like drama show with sports lightly drizzled in.
I watched the British steam in the last couple of Summer Olympics, but I actually don't mind the NBC Olympics app. They had entire length of events on it, and depending on time of day(?) hardly any commercials. I used it mostly to watch figure skating (although as much as I love figure skating, I did get a bit tired of it after 10+ hours).

TV coverage is absolutely abysmal, though, no wonder their ratings are horrible.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the CBC coverage here in Canada was very good, as usual. Did anyone watch the closing ceremonies? The China presentation looked very Tron-ish.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am
Madmarcus wrote: ↑ I like almost all of the events but except for a few things (half pipe, the two -cross events, short track relay, and curling which was barely on in prime time) I just can't sit and watch competitor after competitor.
The only time I saw any curling was the semifinal men's game at 5 am. A few nights ago the channel blurb on Sling indicated the finals indicated it would be on, I stayed up late and they changed the blurb, removing the curling and instead showed reruns of the earlier programming. :x If ratings are down, this is one reason.
So it's bad that NBC decided to switch up their programming to show the Men's Curling finals LIVE rather than on tape delay?
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rumpy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm Yeah, the CBC coverage here in Canada was very good, as usual. Did anyone watch the closing ceremonies? The China presentation looked very Tron-ish.
I wound up watching several days of the CBC coverage due to being up in Stowe Vermont for half a week last week. It was good, although honestly it didn't strike me as all that different in style from NBC's coverage (although unsurprisingly they focused on Canadian athletes rather than American ones).

Also, I signed up for a trial of Youtube TV to watch the Olympics. It was pretty great - gave me access to NBC SN to watch the Olympics pretty much anytime, and I could use it to basically DVR Olympics coverage so that events were basically available on demand. I was pretty happy with the service. Not happy enough to spend $35 / month on it, although I may use it in place of MLB.tv to watch baseball once baseball season starts again (since the Red Sox station is available on it in the Boston area).
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm I wound up watching several days of the CBC coverage due to being up in Stowe Vermont for half a week last week. It was good, although honestly it didn't strike me as all that different in style from NBC's coverage (although unsurprisingly they focused on Canadian athletes rather than American ones).
I think the difference is that they have a wide spectrum of coverage that lasts for the entire duration of the Olympics, and while they do yes tend to focus on Canadian athletes, they also have plenty of coverage of non-Canadian athletes and the wealth is spread all around.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

MonkeyFinger wrote: ↑Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm Just saw that viewership is down from the last Winter Olympics. Depends on the demographic and viewing source, but it would seem that NBC had to give "make-goods" to advertisers for not making their numbers. Thinking that the lackluster showing on the skating side didn't help matters but there's obviously more to it than that.

For me, there's only so much Olympics I can actually sit and watch. :(
I read somewhere in the last couple days that while NBC's numbers were down they did actually meet the numbers promised to advertisers.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Rumpy wrote:
El Guapo wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 pm I wound up watching several days of the CBC coverage due to being up in Stowe Vermont for half a week last week. It was good, although honestly it didn't strike me as all that different in style from NBC's coverage (although unsurprisingly they focused on Canadian athletes rather than American ones).
I think the difference is that they have a wide spectrum of coverage that lasts for the entire duration of the Olympics, and while they do yes tend to focus on Canadian athletes, they also have plenty of coverage of non-Canadian athletes and the wealth is spread all around.
Didn't notice any focus on any athletes. Watched every event through website and they just showed every single athlete, every single game.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, the suckage was premeditated..
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

tjg_marantz wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:51 pm
Rumpy wrote:
Didn't notice any focus on any athletes. Watched every event through website and they just showed every single athlete, every single game.
Well, I mean other than a few athlete stories throughout the two weeks, it's pretty much all-inclusive. It celebrates diversity.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

tjg_marantz wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:51 pm
Rumpy wrote:
The focus on Candian athletes in my experience this olympic was minimal, so if there is Canadian athlete , they will mention it in passing, but they will show all athletes. Sure, if the Canadian athlete was on during its run, they would get supper excited, but that's a given :), but there was no preferential filming treatment. They just showed everyone. Even events where canadians were clearly in the back of the pack.
I haven't used NBC app, so cant comment on that. But VPN is few bucks and i dont have cable, so i think i wouldnt be able to watch it even if it was decent since its with TV subscription.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, in comparison, I watched the opening ceremonies on NBC as I couldn't find it on CBC, and I found myself missing it because the focus was all on American athletes rather than the spirit of the olympics as a whole.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti