[Film] John Wick: Chapter 3 - May 17 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] John Wick: Chapter 3 - May 17 2019

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pre-production
With a summer 2019 release date set, Omega Underground is reporting that pre-production work is now underway on John Wick: Chapter 3, with casting set to take place after the holidays ahead of a spring start date.

The threequel will see Keanu Reeves reprising the title role, and reuniting with John Wick and John Wick: Chapter 2 screenwriter Derek Kolstad, who has now completed his script. At present, Chad Stahelski – who co-directed the first movie with David Leitch before going solo on the second – is serving as a “prep director”, although it’s unclear whether he will helm the movie or not.

The John Wick franchise has recently expanded with the launch of a new comic book prequel series , while a TV spinoff based around The Continental is also in development.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [Film] John Wick: Chapter 3 - May 17 2019

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am while a TV spinoff based around The Continental is also in development.
ah hell yeah. The Continental (and the world building they did around it) is the best part of the franchise. They need Ian McShane though.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am while a TV spinoff based around The Continental is also in development.
ah hell yeah. The Continental (and the world building they did around it) is the best part of the franchise. They need Ian McShane though.
He's busy tossing around thunderbolts.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Coming Soon
The world of John Wick will continue to expand as well beyond the third film with the spin-off TV series The Continental in the works at STARZ with acclaimed writer/producer Chris Collins (Sons of Anarchy, The Wire) executive producing; and with the spin-off feature film Ballerina which follows a child assassin in the world of John Wick.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Halle Berry has signed on to star opposite Keanu Reeves in John Wick: Chapter 3, the latest installment in Liongate’s action series.

Chad Stahelski, who has overseen the mayhem in the first two movies, is back behind the camera for Chapter 3.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I loved John Wick. I liked John Wick 2. The appeal of these movies is the insane gunfights and certainly not the stories. They're pretty thin, so I don't know how long Gunkata is going to carry a franchise.

I guess I'll let you know when I get tired of watching it. I mean, I did watch three Expendables movies, including the one with Ronda Rousey (ugh).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Take my money now.

Hodor.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 pm I loved John Wick. I liked John Wick 2. The appeal of these movies is the insane gunfights and certainly not the stories. They're pretty thin, so I don't know how long Gunkata is going to carry a franchise.

I guess I'll let you know when I get tired of watching it. I mean, I did watch three Expendables movies, including the one with Ronda Rousey (ugh).
For the longest time I considered him just a "ho-hum" actor that played the same character in every movie. In the Matrix, he was Ted with kung fu. Johnny Mnemonic he was Ted with a chip in his skull. In Point Break he was Ted with a surfboard. You never heard much about him, but the little you did hear was that he was a great guy, very quiet and down to earth, but other than that, meh.

Then I saw him in Something's Gotta Give. It was a chick flick, but he seemed so...normal and at ease, like he was just being himself (which should be the goal for every actor, seeing as they are pretending to be someone else). I really liked his character. Then came Constantine, and again I was very pleasantly surprised, knowing nothing about the source comic. I missed most of his other stuff after that, but I stumbled upon a video of him training for John Wick and holy SHIT I was flat-out impressed. I did a little digging on him then, and found out what an incredible person he is, and now I'll watch him in anything.

So to take WAAAAAY too long to answer your question, gunkata will carry a franchise pretty far for me, because I am impressed by the person doing it.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 pm
McNutt wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 pm I loved John Wick. I liked John Wick 2. The appeal of these movies is the insane gunfights and certainly not the stories. They're pretty thin, so I don't know how long Gunkata is going to carry a franchise.

For the longest time I considered him just a "ho-hum" actor that played the same character in every movie. In the Matrix, he was Ted with kung fu. Johnny Mnemonic he was Ted with a chip in his skull. In Point Break he was Ted with a surfboard. You never heard much about him, but the little you did hear was that he was a great guy, very quiet and down to earth, but other than that, meh.

Then I saw him in Something's Gotta Give. It was a chick flick, but he seemed so...normal and at ease, like he was just being himself (which should be the goal for every actor, seeing as they are pretending to be someone else). I really liked his character. Then came Constantine, and again I was very pleasantly surprised, knowing nothing about the source comic. I missed most of his other stuff after that, but I stumbled upon a video of him training for John Wick and holy SHIT I was flat-out impressed. I did a little digging on him then, and found out what an incredible person he is, and now I'll watch him in anything.

So to take WAAAAAY too long to answer your question, gunkata will carry a franchise pretty far for me, because I am impressed by the person doing it.
Skip Replicas. His acting (at list for the beginning 3rd or so) is terrible. Though that is probably more on the director. He seemed to find his stride towards the middle/late-middle/end. Also, the movie is pretty much a mess.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

bunch of crap by me
Skip Replicas. His acting (at list for the beginning 3rd or so) is terrible. Though that is probably more on the director. He seemed to find his stride towards the middle/late-middle/end. Also, the movie is pretty much a mess.
That's a shame, I was kinda interested in it. Probably a rental for me then. Wait...does he pistol whip anyone to death over shooting his dog or stealing his car?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

bunch of crap by me
That's a shame, I was kinda interested in it. Probably a rental for me then. Wait...does he pistol whip anyone to death over shooting his dog or stealing his car?
He does not. Sadly, he mostly runs from any thugs. I kept waiting for him to kill them all. I was disappointed. :cry:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's an okay actor who is likeable. There's no great acting in the 2 John Wick movies by him. (Loved them both btw) What I'm most impressed about with him is how good he really is at using guns. The one video of him doing one of those timed gun runs was flipping insane.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Never forget The Replacements.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I haven't been able to get through Ch. 2 yet. The first one was great. I've even watched it a couple of times. I've turned off the second every time I've tried to watch it, which is at least 3 times.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you want fancy gunplay try Equilibrium.with Christian Bale.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm If you want fancy gunplay try Equilibrium.with Christian Bale.
I do indeed like that movie, but most of that is CG. This isn't CG.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Dude's played enough shooters in film that he should be a pro. Good to know it's not all fake.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I always thought that if I was ever going to shoot competitively, Three Gun shooting would be the field I would enter.

However, I lack the income to sustain the amount of training (in range time sure but most definitely in ammo costs) that being competitive in that would require.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:31 pm I do indeed like that movie, but most of that is CG. This isn't CG.
I don't know if that was impressive, but it impressed me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Try cowboy action.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still prefer this version of the movies.

He won. Period.
Brian

Post by Brian »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 pm Try cowboy action.
Also interesting but I don't have any of the guns for Cowboy Action. I do have the guns for Three Gun.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Gives you an excuse to buy more guns.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

Given that I'm unemployed right now I need to keep spending down.

Besides, I'm putting my "spending money" into a new engine for my hot rod project.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"nice ride"

"Beautiful car"

"How much?"
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yeah, well;

1. I'm no John Wick
2. I don't currently have a dog
3. Pretty much nobody would say that about this particular car.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looking up those quotes on YouTube made me want to watch #1 again. Unfortunately nothing that streams to the TV in this room had it. I had to settle for #2. I almost turned it off again. That whole intro is so over the top it approaches parody imo. But I made it past and through the rest of it, which was better.

It was ok, but #1 was an order of magnitude better than #2.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Brian wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:17 am Given that I'm unemployed right now I need to keep spending down.

Besides, I'm putting my "spending money" into a new engine for my hot rod project.

You can tell I'm a dorky dad because all I see is the screenshot from Cars 2...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought he was building his own Bumblebee. :ninja:
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had to turn that trailer off because it was becoming too full of spoilers.

Like The Expendables, John Wick is just pure, adult fun. I'll watch them as long as they keep making them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote:
Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

bunch of crap by me
He does not. Sadly, he mostly runs from any thugs. I kept waiting for him to kill them all. I was disappointed. :cry:
My two local AMC theaters already have it down to one late-night showing a day.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Brian

Post by Brian »

Saw it. Liked it.

This movie barely gives you time to catch your breath in between the action set pieces.

Halley Barry kicks ass. Hell, even the Concierge gets in on the action.
Spoiler:
Winston obviously knew John was wearing his bullet-proof suit so knew exactly what he was doing when he shot John.

My question is, was it planned/coordinated? I don't think so.

It'll be interesting the next time the two of them meet.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Brian wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm
Spoiler:
Winston obviously knew John was wearing his bullet-proof suit so knew exactly what he was doing when he shot John.

My question is, was it planned/coordinated? I don't think so.

It'll be interesting the next time the two of them meet.
Spoiler:
It looked to me like it was planned (at least to some degree). When the Adjudicator storms into the lobby and tells Winston that "John Wick is gone", Winston clearly knows exactly what she means, but his response is "Such a tragedy", deliberately sounding ignorant. So he expected someone to get Wick out of that alley pronto.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Spoiler:
Possible. Even probable.

It sounded a bit as though maybe he was hoping for it instead of actually planning for it.

I lean more towards planned but think that "spur of the moment" decision would make a more interesting plot line to resolve in the next movie.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing like a couple hours of completely over the top violence for a Sunday afternoon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw it just now. Loved it. I do admit that Keanu is getting a little long in the tooth for some of the heavier fight scenes against guys half his age. So sticking to gunplay works better for me.

As for the ending...
Spoiler:
I keep thinking about that final scene and I honestly don’t think Winston was faking it. I think he betrayed him to keep his kingdom. Although it does call into question all the times he helped John. But I guess power can override friendship for some.
But no matter what, that was a hell of an ending and a great set up for the next one. I feel like they’re making Matrix 4 next.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

More on the ending:
Spoiler:
Wick still has Winston's marker
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think one of my favorite things about the Wick films, other than the world building that makes the movies so damn entertaining, is the conceit that all this happens in front of regular people...and they usually don’t even react. They’ve essentially put a curtain between John’s reality and ours.

At least I hope it’s intentional. :oops:
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Saw it today, looking forward to the next one. Not sure how much longer Keanu can pull of the character plausibly though,not that he did in this one.
He does not have the physique of a rippled martial artist, but is still defeating multiples of those who are. Though victorious, he seemed to be fighting gassed much of the time. The world he lives in seems to really not want him living, but I wonder if they will ever have the guts to end the series with Wick dead.
Black Lives Matter