Pho

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Pho

Post by GreenGoo »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm tripe and tendon!

things i learned:

you add the bean sprouts/basil to the broth gradually, and you eat them as you add them. don't throw all the vegetables in at once.

don't add the sriracha and hoisin sauce to the broth. those go in the little bowls to dip the meat chunks in (or tofu, in my case).
All bean sprouts at once! (this is just me not knowing better).

As for the sriracha sauce, I love what it does to the broth, so it's going in. I have a co-worker who uses the side bowls for dipping the meat. If I didn't love the flavour of the broth and sriracha sauce together, I would consider changing to match etiquette, but that ain't happening.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Armed with the tutorials in this thread, I'm curious enough to try it again and see if it surpasses my first random experience. If they're open on xmas day, that is. Last time we were the only people in the place so that experiment might not have worked out for them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, I love noodles, and there a TON in the soup, so that helps. I switched from well done beef to rare beef after awhile and I enjoyed it much better. Pho is by definition beef, but I almost always get chicken too.

I'm probably the only one in our group that finishes his broth too. Lots of people seem to eat the noodles and beef and then stop. I always finish everything.

Now I want pho for dinner. :(
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Different people have different styles of eating pho. There are those that add sauce to broth first, and there are those that use the little saucers.

What I do is I do half hoisin and half sriracha sauce in the little saucer if it's regular pho I just order the "everything" pho (usually #1) with all sorts of meat. You can get VERY different cuts of meat for different flavors, but that's like graduate level pho eating. I put the sweet basil and cilantro (if any) into the broth, but I don't eat bean sprouts, at least not in pho. I want the basil flavor. If the meat's just floating on the broth, I push them in, and I'll break apart the noodles if it's in a lump in the middle.

Then what you do is you assemble one spoonful at a time, a little noodle, a little soup, a bit of meat (dip into the sauces if you want), even a little bean sprout and stuff. Repeat until bowl empty... :)

But there really is no "wrong" way to eat pho.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
tgb

Post by tgb »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

you add the bean sprouts/basil to the broth gradually, and you eat them as you add them. don't throw all the vegetables in at once.

don't add the sriracha and hoisin sauce to the broth. those go in the little bowls to dip the meat chunks in (or tofu, in my case).
Good to know on both. I guess I've been doing it wrong.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Archinerd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm I like it, that's why I drew this.
Enlarge Image
That is REALLY cool but I find I just can't eat much pho when I'm high on DMT...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What do you like to drink with your pho?

I think I had a glass of red wine last time. I don't like saki, beer just seemed wrong, Coffee and tea don't go with soup, IMO.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just the complementary tea and maybe a glass of water. It's usually back to work after.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Went to pick up my computer today and discovered there IS a Vietnamese restaurant in Las Cruces. Apparently there are TWO!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 pm What do you like to drink with your pho?

I think I had a glass of red wine last time. I don't like saki, beer just seemed wrong, Coffee and tea don't go with soup, IMO.
Red wine sounds like it'd be a weird pairing. Sake seems like it'd be ok but I think that more for Japanese restaurants than Vietnamese. I think of pho as more of a lunch food or a non-drinky early dinner, but if I were hankerin' for some booze with it I'd probably go for a beer.
Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm Went to pick up my computer today and discovered there IS a Vietnamese restaurant in Las Cruces. Apparently there are TWO!
I tell ya, it's been fruitless trying to find good, or even decent Chinese food in Albuquerque, but for some reason there are a good number of totally decent Vietnamese restaurants in the area.
tgb

Post by tgb »

As a rule, I'll have beer with it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Have been 90% a seafood / 10 % chicken guy. Next order will be beef.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
geezer

Post by geezer »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 pm
geezer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 amRamen > Pho
Biscuit > red
Noddles and broth.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm Went to pick up my computer today and discovered there IS a Vietnamese restaurant in Las Cruces. Apparently there are TWO!
Of course there are. Its a college town.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I did pho tai. She enjoyed it, dumped in the sprouts and Sriracha. I thought it was merely ok. She has a new thing to eat, and I have an experience.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 am
geezer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 amRamen > Pho
You can buy ramen at a 7-11. That’s all anyone needs to know.
That just means that it is that good, that everyone should have it. :)

I am not a fan of either Ramen or Pho. But good Ramen is not sold at 7-11. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Instant ramen is very different from genuine ramen.

In San Francisco, decent ramen is actually kinda expensive, more than pho, that's for sure. You can get decent pho for $7-8, but ramen is probably $10-12, being considered Japanese food. And generally, the ramen has smaller portions. The most accessible one to me is Ajisen Ramen downtown, in the basement level of San Francisco Shopping Center at 5th and Market. Though if I need to go farther, I go to Magikku Ramen in Daly City. It's actually operated by Chinese, and even take orders in Chinese, but it's "technically" Japanese food. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anyone that think Pho is better than ramen, never had a good ramen.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I....don't think I've ever had pho. I feel like I need to fix this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:09 pm Anyone that think Pho is better than ramen, never had a good ramen.
Probably, but that's because Pho is 8 bucks and available in 3 different restaurants within walking distance, and I have no idea where to get Ramen, and from what I hear, good Ramen is 50% more expensive.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

things i learned:

Where do you like to go in Seattle? Do you go with veggie broth?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I accidentally ordered tripe once. I sent it back, and all they did was scoop out the tripe and put in rare beef. I know this because there was still tripe in the soup when I ate it.

There is a LOT of garbage parts of the cow available for dumping in your soup, if you're into that.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 pm

things i learned:

Pho Big Bowl is fantastic and i have no need to go anywhere else. yes, veggie broth always. you can get their 'Big Bowl' for $25 - it's meant for a whole family. if you're a meat eater, you should probably go to Pho Bac.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 am
Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 pm

things i learned:

Pho Big Bowl is fantastic and i have no need to go anywhere else. yes, veggie broth always. you can get their 'Big Bowl' for $25 - it's meant for a whole family. if you're a meat eater, you should probably go to Pho Bac.
I'll have to try that one out next time. I'm not a meat eater, vegan actually. A little off topic, but do you ever go to Loving Hut? Their pan-fried noodles are so freaking good.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Loving Hut is a chain Vegan franchise that attracts Westerners, not Chinese. It was founded by a Vietnamese leader in Taiwan who invented her own branch of Buddhism / meditation, who gave herself the title "Supreme Master Qing Hai". It couldn't make a living in Chinatown (we had a branch here) then but they have money to buy a space in the super-busy downtown food court. Hmmm...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 pm Loving Hut is a chain Vegan franchise that attracts Westerners, not Chinese. It was founded by a Vietnamese leader in Taiwan who invented her own branch of Buddhism / meditation, who gave herself the title "Supreme Master Qing Hai". It couldn't make a living in Chinatown (we had a branch here) then but they have money to buy a space in the super-busy downtown food court. Hmmm...
I'm fully aware of what Loving Hut is. I'd call it the restaurant arm of their cult/religion. It's audience is definitely vegan/Buddhist. I'm not looking for authentic Chinese, I'm looking for vegan. That said, I always see Asians when I eat there. It's doing okay in the Seattle International District. I must admit the television constantly playing the Supreme Master channel is strangely amusing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've been there several times, and actually went with a coworker two months ago. it was part of my 'Seattle-benevolent-cult-owned-veg*n-restaurant' tour that also included Silence*Heart*Nest (run by the Sri Chinmoy movement) and My Sweet Lord (run by the Hari Krishnas, now sadly defunct. they would have free meals on Thursday nights.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Reservations made for xmas dinner at Pho 89. This had better be good, tgb. Our chosen movie is not playing at the theater we usually patronize -- stupid Star Wars takes up 8 screens and has driven everything else out early -- so instead of being on the way home, the restaurant is considerably less convenient.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Went to lunch with my wife this week. Despite having had Pho before, she couldn't stop telling me how good hers was.

I really enjoyed mine too.

You might want to try the rice rolls as well, kraken. They are big favourites with most people I know.

If your appetite can't handle it, split an order with your wife. Most people love the shrimp but my wife loves the pork.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Kraken, if you don't like it send it to me.

We're thinking of changing the traditional Christmas Chinese dinner to pho, if the place will be open
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This thread has made me realize that I should only follow game recommendations from this forum from now on..........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Because noodles and beef broth are too crazy to enjoy. Next they'll be recommending chicken noodle soup.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:20 pm Because noodles and beef broth are too crazy to enjoy. Next they'll be recommending chicken noodle soup.
Yeah...except when it's noodles, beef broth, tripe, tendon, raw meat, old cold cooked meat, mystery meat meatballs, and some kind of weird plum sauce.
Other than that, yep......just like chicken soup...... :roll:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dude. You know you don't have to have tendon/tripe/monkey gizzards, right?

That's just for the Kaseys of the world.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Never had it, so I went in and ordered the Pho.
That's what they brought me.
When I order chicken soup, I don't tell them what I want in it.
Didn't know this would be any different and they never told me I had options.
Thankfully I got it to go, so I was mostly able to dig out the questionable parts.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Typically there is a menu that lists the various options. I'm not sure what kind of place would take an order for Pho and think that's enough.

It would be like going to an Italian restaurant and ordering a pizza, and then they give you a pizza with everything on it. Anchovies, olives, pineapple, all sorts of nasty stuff that most North Americans understand are the garbage parts of the cow (because we're super rich and don't need to make use of every part of the carcass).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He did say "House Specialty?", and I guess I gave the wrong answer by saying sure.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Normally pho is just beef and tripe (and sometimes, beef balls), wouldn't have "other" stuff in there. You can order such, but it's usually not in the "#1" or "locomotive" combo.

If you don't want tripe, just meat, find the option in the menu and/or ask the waiter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

em2nought wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 am This is the soup lady with the soup I really want to try
Enlarge Image
Article
https://amuse-i-d.vice.com/meet-the-maf ... n-bangkok/
T-minus 44 days and counting til I get to try to find the soup lady, and see what all the fuss is about. After my first hour long $10 reflexology session that is, ahhhh heaven. :mrgreen:
two months
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:39 am Normally pho is just beef and tripe (and sometimes, beef balls), wouldn't have "other" stuff in there. You can order such, but it's usually not in the "#1" or "locomotive" combo.

If you don't want tripe, just meat, find the option in the menu and/or ask the waiter.
For those of you new to this cuisine, 'beef balls' refers to something akin to meatballs, not testicles.