Pho

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Pho

Post by tgb »

To paraphrase Charles Mingus, if God made anything better he kept it for himself.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Re: Pho

Post by Kraken »

Tried it once, a couple of christmasses ago. I went in cold without knowing how one is expected to eat it, so maybe I did it wrong. The place we went is said to have the best pho. It was pretty good soup, I guess. Didn't leave me wanting to have it again though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I live near a small Vietnamese neighborhood in Chicago and I try to make it to Pho 777 (not to be confused with Pho 888 just down the street) as often as I can. The seafood pho is my favorite. You have to get the beef broth though. Anything else is just wrong.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm Tried it once, a couple of christmasses ago. I went in cold without knowing how one is expected to eat it, so maybe I did it wrong. The place we went is said to have the best pho. It was pretty good soup, I guess. Didn't leave me wanting to have it again though.
That's how I feel. I'm not a soup person though. I don't seek out soup ever. Same applies to Pho.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I tried it once at the cafeteria at work. For the most part their food was decent (breakfast was quite good and pretty cheap), but some of their dishes weren't exactly sterling. Now I live somewhere with no Vietnamese food so trying it again will have to wait. Maybe if I make it to Chicago again - Hepcat can take us?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Ramen > Pho
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bad Demographic wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 am Maybe if I make it to Chicago again - Hepcat can take us?
We’ll top it off with a couple of Banh Xeo.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tgb wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 pm To paraphrase Charles Mingus, if God made anything better he kept it for himself.
I eat this about once every two weeks in the winter.

I freakin' love it way more than it deserves, based on what's in it. Doesn't matter though. Really enjoy it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

geezer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 amRamen > Pho
You can buy ramen at a 7-11. That’s all anyone needs to know.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's great to have when you're sick. also i just had a big bowl tonight. mmmmmmm
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

+ 1 Pho
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bluh
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I could eat pho pretty much every single day but we've got some really good spots for it here. It really is all about the broth, if a place is skimping or rushing the simmer time on that just forget it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Stone the heretic!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This is the soup lady with the soup I really want to try
Enlarge Image
Article
https://amuse-i-d.vice.com/meet-the-maf ... n-bangkok/
Stop funding for NPR
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

tgb wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 am
Stone the heretic!
Seems pointless and redundant because if you prefer ramen over Pho, you are already stoned.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Pho is nothing compare to Medan's meat ball soup.

https://www.goodindonesianfood.com/stor ... so-lebong/
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 pm I live near a small Vietnamese neighborhood in Chicago and I try to make it to Pho 777 (not to be confused with Pho 888 just down the street) as often as I can.
My place in Philly is called Pho 75.

Love me some Pho.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Not a fan, can take it or leave it. [shrug]

My friend, however, loves the stuff and one of his favorite places is call Pho King. They have an ridiculous eating challenge, which he failed, but is consoled by the fact that he is now proudly up on their wall of Pho King Losers. :D
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm Not a fan, can take it or leave it. [shrug]

My friend, however, loves the stuff and one of his favorite places is call Pho King. They have an ridiculous eating challenge, which he failed, but is consoled by the fact that he is now proudly up on their wall of Pho King Losers. :D
If internet memes are to be believed, "pho" is pronounced "fuh", making Pho King worth a snicker.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A lot of good Pho places in SF. We just did our semi-regular Pho Friday lunch the other day. I usually dump the most jalapeño slices in mine. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My wife and I get Pho every Sunday - she usually gets a rice noodle dish and I get the soup. I generally get it with sliced pork chop but the nice thing is you can throw anything in it really.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The last time I went for Pho with friends, I made the mistake of tearing up some jalapenos with my hands and tossing them in the bowl...then 10 minutes later rubbing my eye with a finger.

...I think I'm still banned from that restaurant due to the inordinately high pitched screaming.
He won. Period.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I love the stuff. Of course I love soup. I haven't had enough real raman to judge if it is better than pho but I'd love to spend a winter comparing them. I wonder if Korea has a national soup?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 pm A lot of good Pho places in SF. We just did our semi-regular Pho Friday lunch the other day. I usually dump the most jalapeño slices in mine. ..
:wub:

When I lived in SF every Vietnamese restaurant featured 5-spice chicken. Oddly, I've never seen it anywhere else.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Love it. My favorite:

Enlarge Image
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

em2nought wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 am This is the soup lady with the soup I really want to try
Enlarge Image
Article
https://amuse-i-d.vice.com/meet-the-maf ... n-bangkok/
She's not making pho. Or ramen.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm Not a fan, can take it or leave it. [shrug]

If internet memes are to be believed, "pho" is pronounced "fuh", making Pho King worth a snicker.
it is a thing.

http://whatthepho.net/
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Biscuit > red
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm

it is a thing.

http://whatthepho.net/
Yup. Making "Pho King Loser" a dubious thing to be proud of.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Seattle might as well be Vietnam in North America, so we have some amazing Pho places here. I eat it at least once a week, with exceptions being made in the winter when I double up. You cannot go wrong with a great soup. Come visit the area, and I'll show you around!
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I like it, that's why I drew this.
Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, there's actually like 3-4 different camps of pho.

Most pho you see is actually SOUTH Vietnamese style. Beef broth, thin rice noodles, etc. with optional sweet basil, sliced chili, hoisin and chili sauce, and so on if you want to flavor the broth. Broth is also darker.

There's also NORTH Vietnamese pho, clearer broth, no sweet basil, definitely a flavor difference. Usually with wide rice noodles.

There's also kind of mixed Chinese / Vietnamese pho with more generic broth.

I'm not going to get into pho ga (chicken pho) which is something completely different.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I assume getting chicken in your pho is some sort of faux (hah!) pas, but I can't help it. I get chicken and rare beef in mine. Sriracha at most places, although my favourite place makes their own chili sauce that is eye burning and way too oily, but I use it anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm I like it, that's why I drew this.
Enlarge Image
Awesome!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm Tried it once, a couple of christmasses ago. I went in cold without knowing how one is expected to eat it, so maybe I did it wrong. The place we went is said to have the best pho. It was pretty good soup, I guess. Didn't leave me wanting to have it again though.
Was it one of the places in Chinatown? Which one did you try?

Pho Pasteur gets recommended pretty often, and it would have been a good first place to try, but my favorite when I worked in the area was Pho Hoa one block down.

Also, did you get chicken or beef? I see first timers ordering chicken pho a lot and that's not really the same thing. The standard beef pho is the one that can be lifechanging.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

Pho Pasteur gets recommended pretty often, and it would have been a good first place to try, but my favorite when I worked in the area was Pho Hoa one block down.

Also, did you get chicken or beef? I see first timers ordering chicken pho a lot and that's not really the same thing. The standard beef pho is the one that can be lifechanging.
I think it was Pho 98 in Randolph. There are three Vietnamese restaurants within a mile of each other so I'm not sure which one we went to, but that menu looks familiar.

I don't remember what I ordered. They have 18 kinds of pho. Knowing me, I would have probably gone with either chicken or seafood.

Maybe I'll try it again this xmas, if we go out for dinner as usual.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm
wonderpug wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

I think it was Pho 98 in Randolph. There are three Vietnamese restaurants within a mile of each other so I'm not sure which one we went to, but that menu looks familiar.

I don't remember what I ordered. They have 18 kinds of pho. Knowing me, I would have probably gone with either chicken or seafood.

Maybe I'll try it again this xmas, if we go out for dinner as usual.
The 18 different kinds of pho on the menu are generally 16 that are the same good beef soup base with various different combinations of cuts of meat thrown in, the one chicken pho you shouldn't order, and the one seafood pho you shouldn't order.

Order "pho tai" if you want the standard pho stuff. The 'tai' translates to thinly sliced rare, lean beef that cooks in the heat of the broth.

My favorite is "pho tai nam". It has the same 'tai' meat as above as well as the 'nam' cuts, which are fatty flank pieces. If you like fattier cuts of meat in general, like going for ribeye over a filet, maybe give that a try.

'Gau' is brisket, so feel free to add/substitute 'gau' into your post-pho words, but don't go adding any more syllables to your pho. Past the ones I've mentioned you start getting into ingredients from the "Miscellaneous" section of the cow.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tripe and tendon!

things i learned:

you add the bean sprouts/basil to the broth gradually, and you eat them as you add them. don't throw all the vegetables in at once.

don't add the sriracha and hoisin sauce to the broth. those go in the little bowls to dip the meat chunks in (or tofu, in my case).