All Things Ball (Family)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

All Things Ball (Family)

Post by Grifman »

Since this family seems to be the gift that keeps on giving, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for their antics.

So after pulling his thieving son out of UCLA, and his youngest son out of high school, dad has found a professional team in Lithuania for them to play for:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748 ... =editorial

I'm not certain what their dad is thinking. Son #2 is an average basketball player by all accounts who would most likely have a decent college career but would be unlikely to be a professional prospect. But the youngest son is rated as one of the top point guard prospects in the nation, who would definitely have NBA potential. Now I don't see him every reaching the pros. He's not going to develop much in Lithuania, and may not even play very much. So I just see the younger son's chances being thrown away by a crazy dad. Of course there were issues with him reaching college anyway because he had his own Big Baller shoe and got money from it which is a big NCAA no-no. But still . . . this family is just so messed up by their dad.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Re: All Things Ball (Family)

Post by hepcat »

The father has always come across as an even more ridiculous version of a character on Dance Moms.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am He's not going to develop much in Lithuania, and may not even play very much.
I wouldn't go that far - Lithuania has been a "basketball country" for decades (I grew up there...) Their players are recruited throughout the EU and the NBA. This may be a better gateway to the "big leagues" for them than staying in the NCAA.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think he's hoping he can get a Kardashian-style show and make money that way. I'm serious too. I'd also enjoy watching this man in a reality show as much as I enjoy watching the Kardashians, which is not at all.

I remember when the youngest scored 92 points in a high school basketball game. He would not play defense at all and would stand at half court so they could throw him the ball off any rebound. I can't imagine any coach allowing that. I guess he caved in to the demands of Lavar Ball.

I feel bad for these kids. It's gotta be hard growing up in a house with that man.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

gilraen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 am He's not going to develop much in Lithuania, and may not even play very much.
I wouldn't go that far - Lithuania has been a "basketball country" for decades (I grew up there...) Their players are recruited throughout the EU and the NBA. This may be a better gateway to the "big leagues" for them than staying in the NCAA.
I was thinking the same. In Europe, teenagers often play in paid professional leagues and so can get much more playing experience than a year in college or high school since they don't have to worry about classes.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

pretty much pisses me off media is giving this grade a asshole the publicity they do.

he's doing the best he can at ruining Lonzo's career and now it's to the others.

I wish people like this would fall off the face of the Earth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Vytautas plays in the Lithuanian (LKL) league, but it is unlikely the Ball brothers would see significant playing time in that league. Vytautas also plays in the lesser competitive Baltic League, where the teenagers could see more playing time. The team has discussed a role of 20 to 25 minutes a game apiece in the Baltic League, a source told ESPN.

Prienu Vytautas, or BC Prienai as it's often called, is a low-level club from a small, non-English speaking village of roughly 10,000 people in southern Lithuania. The team has been grappling with financial issues and started the season losing eight of its first 12 games in the Lithuanian league.

The team is 4-1 in the Baltic League, its lone loss coming on a forfeiture. The game was abandoned with three minutes to go tied at 65 after the coach was ejected due to some questionable calls.

Vytautas has sparingly signed American players in the past decade, the only one being former Vanderbilt guard Brad Tinsley. He left the team after a month.

The club plays in a 1,700-seat arena; 500 of those seats are reserved for team sponsors and their friends. Tickets cost around 5 euros.

The team has no general manager and doesn't practice regularly due to the poor financial situation.

Currently, the team's best player is likely the coach's son, Edvinas Seskus, who was considered a huge prospect as a teenager but didn't develop as expected, partially due to injuries.

The coach's other son, Domantas, also played for the team for four years, but he left this season to sign in the French fourth division.

LaMelo, a 16-year-old combination guard, is considered more talented than his older brother LiAngelo. At 6-foot-3, he has shot-making ability, creativity as a ball handler and flashes as a facilitator. He shows potential as a shooter despite unorthodox mechanics, regularly pulling up from near half court at the prep level.

LaMelo has the potential to play in the NBA someday, especially if he were on a more traditional development path. Even so, his shot selection is questionable and he has struggled to impact winning. LaMelo is a career 30 percent 3-point shooter, according to Krossover data (42 games and 605 attempts).

LiAngelo, 19, is a thick-framed, 6-foot-5 player who offers little value outside of occasional spot-up shooting. He projected as a mid-major college player out of high school and wasn't expected to be in UCLA's regular rotation. He would be expected to struggle to add any value in the Lithuanian or Baltic leagues. He is a career 32 percent 3-point shooter on 590 attempts, according to Krossover data. LiAngelo is a limited ball handler and defender, and plays strictly below the rim.

this is the team these kids will be playing for.

and has anyone seen LaMelo shoot? if you thought Lonzo has awful technique, you haven't seen anything.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gilraen wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am
I'm not disparaging Lithuanian basketball at all. But it sounds like you didn't read the article. They did not sign with a top Lithuanian team to begin with (the team plays in a town of 10,000 people and they play in what looks like a high school gymn), and it seems that they will most likely end up with a development team for that team. So I think my statement still stands.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Xmann wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am this is the team these kids will be playing for.

and has anyone seen LaMelo shoot? if you thought Lonzo has awful technique, you haven't seen anything.

Thank for further making my point for me in greater detail :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That doesn't sound like it's going to do much to prepare LaMelo for the NBA. It sounds like it's going to be a hell of a lot worse than the preparation he would receive at a good school.

And LiAngelo sounds like he would benefit from just having a college education. Maybe there he'd learn that China is not a country where you want to shoplift.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It's worth noting that there are questions regarding with the youngest Ball would even be eligible to play in college, due to the whole Big Baller brand. If he can't play in college anyway, might as well go to Europe in the hopes of developing? Of course, the particular team that they signed with certainly does not sound ideal.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LaVar Ball plans to start league for high school graduates

Ruining his son's careers is not enough. Now he wants to make sure other kids are not eligible for college basketball.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just knew this family wouldn't fail me! :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

These kids need alternatives to a good education.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

These kids need alternatives to an idiot father.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I can't imagine how upset I'd be if I were a low-income parent and my son decided to skip the free college education that would get him out of that life for a spot in Lavar Ball's league.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm I can't imagine how upset I'd be if I were a low-income parent and my son decided to skip the free college education that would get him out of that life for a spot in Lavar Ball's league.
But that kid could make $3k a month for months. Think of what a difference that will make in his life.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

McNutt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm I can't imagine how upset I'd be if I were a low-income parent and my son decided to skip the free college education that would get him out of that life for a spot in Lavar Ball's league.
Take that and raise the level of emotion when that kid doesn't develop due to bad coaching, lack of playing time, etc. and thus misses the NBA entirely so lives at home working an hourly wage slave live or turning to crime. The odds of a lot of those kids missing the big time are so high that Lavar Ball is going to ruin many many lives if he gets this to happen.

On a side note, who the hell is funding his brand? It isn't like he was some sort of billionaire before this began to be able to throw money at everything. So how is he managing to get all these products made?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I went to the Big Baller website last night just to look at what kind of shoe you could get for $500-$700. Apparently I'm not baller enough.

Yes, it starts at $500
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The sneaker culture is insane. There was a literal riot at a department store in a mall in my hometown when they didn't have enough Michael Jordan sneakers a number of years ago. The cops had to be called out to put an end to it. And then there are the stories of people being robbed and even killed for their shoes. Sad stuff.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And then, there was this:

LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball go scoreless in Lithuania pro debut

Sounds like things are off to a great start.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

And now he's trying to sink his only NBA son's career.

Lavar is claiming that Lonzo will only resign with the Lakers if they sign his other sons and give themselves a "royal flush." I admire this man's dedication to giving us a great 30 for 30 years down the road.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm And now he's trying to sink his only NBA son's career.

Lavar is claiming that Lonzo will only resign with the Lakers if they sign his other sons and give themselves a "royal flush." I admire this man's dedication to giving us a great 30 for 30 years down the road.
If Lonzo is successful with the Lakers are we sure he won't just tell his old man to shove it?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Don't be surprised if the Lakers don't rush to sign Lonzo when his contract is up.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

With your dad as the assistant coach, what could go wrong?

scoreless in 2 games
In their first Lithuanian league game, which counts in the standings, LiAngelo and LaMelo spent the majority of the time on the bench. LiAngelo was 0-for-3 from the field, while LaMelo was 0-for-4. The duo combined to miss all five of their 3-point attempts.

In their second professional game, this one coming against improved competition in the Lithuanian league, the Ball brothers failed to score.

LiAngelo played nine minutes and LaMelo logged just five in Vytautas' 95-86 road loss at Lietkabelis.
I can't imagine why the Lakers and the rest of the NBA are not signing them to billion dollar contracts.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know anything about the kids but the dad can stab his eyes out and cut his fucking tongue off before I care...and then only to smile at the asshole.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Apparently Ball is attempting to convince the top high school prospects to skip college and join in Big Baller league. One of UNC's top recruits stated that he got offers from Ball (which he quickly turned down) and that Ball thinks he can recruit at least 80 of the top 100 high school prospects for his league. Good luck with that.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm Apparently Ball is attempting to convince the top high school prospects to skip college and join in Big Baller league. One of UNC's top recruits stated that he got offers from Ball (which he quickly turned down) and that Ball thinks he can recruit at least 80 of the top 100 high school prospects for his league. Good luck with that.
Well, a lot of them (the top HS prospects) just want to get paid, and don't want to have to go to college or play internationally. There is an unmet demand for this service due to the NBA's eligibility requirements (also present in NCAA/NFL football) and nobody else seems to want to fulfill that demand. It's smart, as long as the business plan recognizes that the NBA could change its rules at any time.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If anything the NBA is about to change the rules requiring draftees be older than they require currently. That would make school, foreign leagues or a league like Ball is proposing more attractive for those fresh out of high school. If money was the object, then a kid might try a foreign league or Ball's league. But you wonder how Ball would bank roll such a league or who would be crazy enough to partner with him.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A fascinating and somewhat poignant story about the Ball''s experience in Lithuania:

http://mag.bleacherreport.com/the-lamelo-show/

I just don't understand the end game here. LaMelo is never going to play pro ball, just never in this plan of LaVar's. I just don't understand what the father is thinking.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's pretty depressing.

Lavar just wants the spotlight and taking his kid out of high school to go "pro" at 16 does that. It's certainly not in the best interest of the kid. However, his vanity is blinding him.

What really surprised me about this story was finding out that he bought the 16yo a Lamborghini. How does Lavar Ball have that kind of money?
Rip

Post by Rip »

McNutt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 pm That's pretty depressing.

Lavar just wants the spotlight and taking his kid out of high school to go "pro" at 16 does that. It's certainly not in the best interest of the kid. However, his vanity is blinding him.

What really surprised me about this story was finding out that he bought the 16yo a Lamborghini. How does Lavar Ball have that kind of money?
By selling a bunch of stupid kids crappy shoes for ungodly amounts of money.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I no longer watch or follow basketball and have little to no interest in the goings on, however this has been an interesting read.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Among the new details that have emerged: what the players stole from the other two stores besides the sunglasses from Louis Vuitton; that the players were required to leave the police station multiple times to return the items they stole to all three stores; that one player hid a pair of stolen sunglasses in UCLA head coach Steve Alford's hotel room; how UCLA and Pac-12 officials bailed the players out of jail without committing an NCAA violation; how charges were dropped, the bail refunded and the players' passports returned two days before White House chief of staff John Kelly called the players to inform them that President Donald Trump was working on their release; how UCLA appeased Chinese authorities by keeping the players in China for 72 hours after the rest of the team had returned to Los Angeles; and why school officials thought it wise to thank Trump and Kelly while still unsure of the impact of their efforts.
Friday morning, Nov. 10

Around 7 a.m., Ball, Hill and Riley were given their passports back and Carlson returned the bail money. The charges were dropped, but there was a secret handshake agreement between school officials and Chinese authorities that the players would not leave until Tuesday, one week after they had been detained.
Sunday, Nov. 12

Donald Trump first found out about the situation, according to The New York Times, when members of his staff saw it on CNN just before Trump's dinner with the president of China, Xi Jinping, in Beijing on Thursday. Trump would later tell reporters on Tuesday, Nov. 14, that he first heard about the situation "two days ago," at which point he personally asked the Chinese president to look into the matter. The White House did not respond to requests to clear up the timeline, but UCLA sources say they didn't become aware of Trump's involvement until Sunday when White House chief of staff John Kelly called the players to say that Trump was intervening on their behalf and that he was optimistic of a quick resolution. A Pac-12 source, who was not present for the actual call from Kelly, confirmed the UCLA sources' description of the timeline.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Please let this be true. Also, please allow the president the freedom to address it via twitter.

:pray:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Is Kenan Thompson always that hilarious? That was fantastic!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra