Holiday Cards

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Holiday Cards

Post by Jeff V »

Now, aside from the card exchange participants here, do you still send holiday cards? Do you receive as many as you send? Has the volume increased or decreased over, say, the past decade?

I have a list of 15 people who I diligently sent cards to every year (I believe my parents would send now than 50). Last year, I believe I received 2 cards, one of them from a former boss. My wife has not sent a single card since she's been in this country, and we've received none from her friends (although there is a lot of gifting between them...Xmas gifts between friends was never a thing among my crowd).

It's already 12/14, and I've not even contemplated cards yet (in the past, I was done by 12/1). Last year, we sent mall Santa pics of the kids. Every time we consider going to the mall over the past few weeks, something has come up and now I wonder if I should even bother.

Are holiday cards a relic of the past?
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Re: Holiday Cards

Post by stessier »

We used to send them - about 30-40. About 3 years ago we just stopped. It was too expensive and I didn't understand what we were supposed to be getting out of it. I still get a couple - maybe a dozen or so.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We send out around 80. No idea how many we receive, but it's probably less than half of that. I'm not on the committee that does all that work, so I don't really care.

What we have done is take the same picture for the last 11 years with my daughter (in front of Xmas tree with a child's rocking chair), a tradition I'd like to continue as long as she's living here - if for no other reason than it will be really awkward when she's 26.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I include a gift card when I order from Amazon.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My wife sends out about 60.
That's in addition to the handful I send out to OOers, though mine don't usually (ever) make it by Christmas.
I'd say we get about half that. We also get a few meant for the former owners, but those are in Polish so I don't read them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Got one today! It's addressed to the former occupants of this house. :?
Black Lives Matter
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Am I too late to get in on the card exchange this year?
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I sent out 2 or 3 for a couple years then quit again. We get about 2 or 3.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We get two or three. Every year I get one from an eye doctor that I went to once and didn't like. Never send any, but I dimly remember doing it decades ago. Wife wrote them; I just signed them and addressed envelopes. Before social media they were a way for distant friends and relatives to keep updated -- the annual xmas letter and pics. Kind of pointless nowadays, apart from tradition.