Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

Post by Zarathud »

My sister's wedding had stormtroopers doing the electric slide with Boba Fett and a Jawa. But their DJ wasn't as cool.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:41 am How much in royalties did you pay to Daft Punk?
None. We sent our monies to Deadmau5. We probably should have sent a little something to Daft Punk too, just to be safe.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is he at all concerned about marrying a Sith?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 am My sister's wedding had stormtroopers doing the electric slide with Boba Fett and a Jawa. But their DJ wasn't as cool.
You going as a Bantha was a nice touch.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If you have a wedding like that aren't you hoping the pictures go viral?
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 pm If you have a wedding like that aren't you hoping the pictures go viral?
Eh, I would say no in most cases.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Really?

Aren't you doing it so that people will take pictures and talk about what a cool wedding you had?
Except for old guys like me who think you are just crazy. :D
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Weaponizing the haters
Political discourse on social media is seen by many as polarized, vitriolic and permeated by falsehoods and misinformation. Political operators have exploited all of these aspects of the discourse for strategic purposes, most famously during the Russian social media influence campaign during the 2016 Presidential election in the United States and current, similar efforts targeting the U.S. elections in 2018 and 2020. The results of the social media study presented in this paper presents evidence that political influence through manipulation of social media discussions is no longer exclusive to political debate but can now also be found in pop culture. Specifically, this study examines a collection of tweets relating to a much-publicized fan dispute over the Star Wars franchise film Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. The study finds evidence of deliberate, organized political influence measures disguised as fan arguments. The likely objective of these measures is increasing media coverage of the fandom conflict, thereby adding to and further propagating a narrative of widespread discord and dysfunction in American society. Persuading voters of this narrative remains a strategic goal for the U.S. alt-right movement, as well as the Russian Federation. The results of the study show that among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls. The paper concludes that while it is only a minority of Twitter accounts that tweet negatively about The Last Jedi, organized attempts at politicizing the pop culture discourse on social media for strategic purposes are significant enough that users should be made aware of these measures, so they can act accordingly.
more here
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Brian

Post by Brian »

And here I thought it was just a bad movie.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Does this mean that a good portion of OO are Russian bots?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Brian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 pm And here I thought it was just a bad movie.
Turns out it's a good movie, and you haters are just Russian trolls and bots.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm Does this mean that a good portion of OO are Russian bots?
Nyet.
Black Lives Matter.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 pm And here I thought it was just a bad movie.
On the contrary; it's a deficient movie with a useful abundance of gullible, easily-baited fanboys that make for ideal trollbot-fodder due to their paucity of critical-thinking. So don't be an unthinking simpleton; it's the patriotic duty of Americans to unite in their disapproval of this cinematic travesty, thereby thwarting the Russian menace!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm
On the contrary; it's a deficient movie with a useful abundance of gullible, easily-baited fanboys that make for ideal trollbot-fodder due to their paucity of critical-thinking. So don't be an unthinking simpleton; it's the patriotic duty of Americans to unite in their disapproval of this cinematic travesty, thereby thwarting the Russian menace!
Bot.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm So don't be an unthinking simpleton; it's the patriotic duty of Americans to unite in their disapproval of this cinematic travesty, thereby thwarting the Russian menace!
originally from the UK

We must not allow foreign meddling in our cinematic discussions! :wink:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm Does this mean that a good portion of OO are Russian bots?
Only if they hated it because women and POC had lines. If they hated it because slow mo space chase or Luke died because... tired?, that's legit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll scream about this until the cows come home (whatever the hell that means), but the number of times a standoff was "resolved" by having at least one of the parties getting knocked out or randomly incapacitated was terrible.
1. Luke and Kylo in the hut.
2. Kylo and Rey in the throne room
3. Finn, Rose and the pathetic Captain Phasma on the ship

There might have been more. That's just crap writing.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:39 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm So don't be an unthinking simpleton; it's the patriotic duty of Americans to unite in their disapproval of this cinematic travesty, thereby thwarting the Russian menace!
originally from the UK

We must not allow foreign meddling in our cinematic discussions! :wink:
Anti-immigrant bigotry! :naughty:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
DD*

Post by DD* »

Rewatched this today to see if it was as bad as I remember. I actually fell asleep in the theater the first time, and true to form almost dozed off while I had it running on Netflix today.

Luke’s character(?) was completely off, the writing was both bad and lazy throughout, and the whole thing had no flow at all. Ugh. I can’t think of any redeeming features at all. And once again, Chewie is completely ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:32 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:12 pm
Bot.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If movie was made in Russia it would have been classic.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scuzz wrote:If movie was made in Russia it would have been classic.
And the First Order would win glorious victory against the subversives.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:08 pm
I mean, that is pretty much what happened.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
But in Russia, the terrorists would have been liquidated at the end and the third movie devoted to the great work of the First Order.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm
El Guapo wrote:
But in Russia, the terrorists would have been liquidated at the end and the third movie devoted to the great work of the First Order.
Well, the terrorists were reduced to just the contents of the Millennium Falcon by the end of the movie, so that's pretty much liquidated. 99% liquidated, anyhow.

Who knows, maybe that's the way they'll go with the third movie.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Maybe Rey is going to find herself pregnant with twins. Turns out Solo's boy did all little more than we knew about in SW7.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Scuzz wrote:Maybe Rey is going to find herself pregnant with twins. Turns out Solo's boy did all little more than we knew about in SW7.
Not Solo - it was the midichlorians. Weren’t you paying attention during the classic scene in Phantom Menace?

Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:55 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Well, the terrorists were reduced to just the contents of the Millennium Falcon by the end of the movie, so that's pretty much liquidated. 99% liquidated, anyhow.

Who knows, maybe that's the way they'll go with the third movie.
Just like it started thanks to the Han Solo solo movie. See, he really funded the whole rebellion to begin with back in the day but somehow nobody remembered so he got to act all cool and can't be bothered in A new Hope. So now we get to see them reboot the flashback movie reboot that was hinted at in the Solo. Know what I mean? It's gonna be Awesome! Or maybe not.
morlac

Post by morlac »

DD* wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm
Scuzz wrote:Maybe Rey is going to find herself pregnant with twins. Turns out Solo's boy did all little more than we knew about in SW7.
Not Solo - it was the midichlorians. Weren’t you paying attention during the classic scene in Phantom Menace?

No, no, No. They had cross universe sex during one of their cross universe phone call moments. She said she could feel the good in him but really she was felling good with him in her. Cross universe conversations can get messy and confusing. That scene got cut though. :coffee:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

DD* wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm

What is this Phantom Menace you write about?
Black Lives Matter
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

I’m excited to see just how powerful a menace will arise such that the force ghost bunch don’t just immediately show up and lightning the shit out of it, or drop Leiah’s favorite thermal detonator at its feet!
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IGN
Mark Hamill has said that the Force killed Luke Skywalker at the end of The Last Jedi, likening Luke to a drug addict that overdoses after going clean for decades.

Hamill said this in a tweet that includes frames from Gary Whitta’s The Last Jedi comic book adaptation of the film, showing Luke’s final moments after using a force projection from Ahch-To.

Hamill recently reconfirmed that he would appear in Episode IX, though he had previously noted that he didn’t care about returning to Star Wars following the death of Carrie Fischer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bah, I still believe he OD'd on gilk.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Star Trek beamed him into their universe.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Star Wars 9 leaks: 'George Lucas to FIX Luke Skywalker and course correct after Last Jedi'

Never thought I'd be happy to see George back after the Trilogy That Shall Not be Named, but after the horrible treatment Luke Skywalker got TLJ I hope he can help..somehow.

EDIT: IF this is true, that is.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Booooooo

Last thing we need is more George Lucas. Let the past die. People who want the original trilogy should just go watch them.

I can't wait for them to move on to the next trilogy without any of the legacy characters so we don't have to hear how people's childhood is somehow ruined by a movie.

Boooooooooooooo
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

+1

The kvetching is getting old. And viewing Lucas as a white knight riding in to save the franchise? The man cares about one thing: toy licensing. The reboot may have its faults, but it's still head and shoulders above that last abomination Lucas foisted on the world. I'll take gilk drinking, maniacal Luke over Jesus Skywalker any day of the week.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We loved Luke at the end of The Last Jedi. I still don't understand the hate, except for just wanting more.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:11 pm We loved Luke at the end of The Last Jedi. I still don't understand the hate, except for just wanting more.
Agreed. I love Star Wars but am definitely not a fanatic about it. I know 2 people who are die hards. One (who is one of my best friends) and another who I used to work with. My friend has major problems with how they handled Luke and my former co-worker was totally fine with it. (Shrugs.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I don't get it either. I found it perfectly in keeping with what came before. Fans have been reading the EU for ages, and this trilogy has lifted some things from it including a Luke that's been tempted by the Dark side. It's called character growth. One shouldn't expect a character that we haven't seen for nigh 20 years hidden as a hermit in some corner of the galaxy to be the same character we last saw in Return of the Jedi. Those are just unrealistic expectations. One has to realize that this version of Luke we see later on has seen and done things that have affected him deeply, and I feel it's perfectly understandable for him to be bitter and cynical.

Really though, Luke is the least of this trilogy's problems. I'll take Luke over most of what they've done with it so far. I actually felt that his character treatment was a highlight in terms of one of the better things with this trilogy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti