Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by Moliere »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm 4) You have to understand the strategic nature of the game. If you are a casual fan that doesn't really know the sport, you are missing 80+% of what's happening.
Why Americans find soccer boring? Hard to get excited about a game that lasts 90 minutes and ends with a 1-0 score.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:57 pm Why Americans find soccer boring? Hard to get excited about a game that lasts 90 minutes and ends with a 1-0 score.
Absolutely.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm My son is a Steelers fan
Whhhhhaaaaaaa????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 pm
When he was a little kid (up until he was 9 years old), he was a Bills fan. When he was 9, he played Pee Wee football, and we used to hang out a lot with his friends on the team, and various dads/coaches. One of my coaching friends made fun of him for wearing a Bills cap, and RunningBoy1 didn't appreciate it, so immediately converted to a Colts fan (Peyton was his favorite player).

While watching a Steelers game, he saw Troy Polamalu leap over the offensive line as the ball was being snapped, and he instantly became a Steelers fan. Now everything he owns is Steelers-related in some way. It's held for about 6 or 7 years now and seems to have taken hold. The Bills are his alternate team if they aren't playing the Steelers, but only if we are alone.
Make up bags of change
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 amWhile watching a Steelers game, he saw Troy Polamalu leap over the offensive line as the ball was being snapped, and he instantly became a Steelers fan.
That's awesome. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I remember elementary school when I turned my back on the Lions and became Steelers fan... Something else the Bills and the Lions seem to have in common...
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 am
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 pm
When he was a little kid (up until he was 9 years old), he was a Bills fan. When he was 9, he played Pee Wee football, and we used to hang out a lot with his friends on the team, and various dads/coaches. One of my coaching friends made fun of him for wearing a Bills cap, and RunningBoy1 didn't appreciate it, so immediately converted to a Colts fan (Peyton was his favorite player).

While watching a Steelers game, he saw Troy Polamalu leap over the offensive line as the ball was being snapped, and he instantly became a Steelers fan. Now everything he owns is Steelers-related in some way. It's held for about 6 or 7 years now and seems to have taken hold. The Bills are his alternate team if they aren't playing the Steelers, but only if we are alone.
I assume you disinherited him, make him watch all the games elsewhere, and make fun of gold and black whenever possible.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am I assume you disinherited him, make him watch all the games elsewhere, and make fun of gold and black whenever possible.
Because I love him, I have set him free. I cannot saddle him with the misery of being a Bills fan. He has no direct connection to Buffalo the way that I do, so there's no particular reason for him to root for them other than to satisfy me. How could I do that to him? My only rule for him picking a favorite team was that he could not pick the Pats, Dolphins or Jets and still remain under my roof. The Giants would have been an easy geographic choice, but at the time he was focused on favorite players and those were Peyton Manning and Troy Polamalu. He just couldn't get over how awesome Troy was on that play, so that became his team. Now he's trying to get me to paint his room in Steelers colors, there is all kinds of Steelers stuff hanging on his walls.

I'm glad he made that choice, because our NFL trip was an awesome experience (drove up from Pittsburgh to the NFL Hall of Fame the next morning and spent some time there before crossing the wasteland of Central PA to come home).
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am
stessier wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am I assume you disinherited him, make him watch all the games elsewhere, and make fun of gold and black whenever possible.
Because I love him, I have set him free. I cannot saddle him with the misery of being a Bills fan. He has no direct connection to Buffalo the way that I do, so there's no particular reason for him to root for them other than to satisfy me. How could I do that to him? My only rule for him picking a favorite team was that he could not pick the Pats, Dolphins or Jets and still remain under my roof. The Giants would have been an easy geographic choice, but at the time he was focused on favorite players and those were Peyton Manning and Troy Polamalu. He just couldn't get over how awesome Troy was on that play, so that became his team. Now he's trying to get me to paint his room in Steelers colors, there is all kinds of Steelers stuff hanging on his walls.

I'm glad he made that choice, because our NFL trip was an awesome experience (drove up from Pittsburgh to the NFL Hall of Fame the next morning and spent some time there before crossing the wasteland of Central PA to come home).

Familial Sentimentality - the beginning of the end of a True Sports Fan.

Sounds like a real fun trip! I think you should have gone to the PIT/NE game for the higher drama level though.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm Sounds like a real fun trip! I think you should have gone to the PIT/NE game for the higher drama level though.
Well, when I bought the tickets last July, it was supposed to be an Aaron Rodgers game, who is currently my favorite player in the NFL. I don't think either of us wanted to take the chance that we'd have to watch the stupid Pats win that game. :)
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm Sounds like a real fun trip! I think you should have gone to the PIT/NE game for the higher drama level though.
Well, when I bought the tickets last July, it was supposed to be an Aaron Rodgers game, who is currently my favorite player in the NFL. I don't think either of us wanted to take the chance that we'd have to watch the stupid Pats win that game. :)
Ahh, good point on Rodgers. I just assumed it was a same week purchase or something. At least it wasn't bitterly cold like the last few weeks!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm Ahh, good point on Rodgers. I just assumed it was a same week purchase or something. At least it wasn't bitterly cold like the last few weeks!
It was cold (30s), but not bitterly so. It really was a tremendous experience. I assume that it's the same way when visiting packed home crowds for most good teams. Which really helps with the excitement factor (to the point above). When that stadium is going crazy and all those terrible towels are going, it's hard to not get caught up in it.
Make up bags of change
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I went to Heinz Field for the first time this year, when the Steelers played the Bengals. It was an amazing experience.

I also have an entirely new appreciation for Renegade.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm it was supposed to be an Aaron Rodgers game, who is currently my favorite player in the NFL.
<plonk!>
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am
Because I love him, I have set him free. I cannot saddle him with the misery of being a Bills fan. He has no direct connection to Buffalo the way that I do, so there's no particular reason for him to root for them other than to satisfy me. How could I do that to him?
And thus, he got to miss out on the insanity known as "The Bills made the playoffs" celebration that lasted about 3 days... Then the 4 days of talk about how winnable the game was, then the night of drinking that followed when people realized they waited 17 years for 3 points.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Hello everyone! Who needs to be in that other thread? All of the interesting stuff is in here anyway.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And in the Whatcha Drinkin thread...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

msteelers wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:22 pm Hello everyone! Who needs to be in that other thread? All of the interesting stuff is in here anyway.
:lol:
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The yinzers are calling for all of the Steelers coaches to be fired. It's crazy of course. Tomlin is a good to great head coach, and the Rooney's won't be firing him anytime soon. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley doesn't have many fans in Pittsburgh. He's supposedly difficult to work with, but the Steelers have one of the best offenses in the league. Big Ben just dropped 5 TDs against one of the best pass defenses around. If Ben is back (and he said after the game he will be) then I don't see why Haley should be fired. He makes some boneheaded play calls, but none of that resulted in the Steelers losing today. That leaves defensive coordinator Keith Butler. The defense cost the Steelers the game today. They couldn't get a stop when it mattered most. I don't know what Butler's scheme is on any given game, and it looks like the players don't either. There's enough there to keep Butler around however. They set the franchise record for sacks in a season, they have shown flashes of being a good defense at times, and losing Shazier clearly hurt them down the stretch which is not the coaches fault. Despite all of that, I think it's time for Butler to go.

Which of course means his job is safe and Todd Haley will not have his contract renewed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Personally, I love it every time a team with everything locked up takes the last week off, further rots during a bye week, then is unable to beat a team they should have outclassed. Not playing the final week spits in the face of the fans who have to pay for high priced tickets...karma is a bitch, isn't it!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Personally, I love it every time a team with everything locked up takes the last week off, further rots during a bye week, then is unable to beat a team they should have outclassed. Not playing the final week spits in the face of the fans who have to pay for high priced tickets...karma is a bitch, isn't it!
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jeff V wrote:Personally, I love it every time a team with everything locked up takes the last week off, further rots during a bye week, then is unable to beat a team they should have outclassed. Not playing the final week spits in the face of the fans who have to pay for high priced tickets...karma is a bitch, isn't it!
If taking the final week of the regular season off means the offense drops 42 points in their first playoff game... yeah, I’m all for that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mularkey and the Titans have "mutually agreed to part ways." per Field Yates.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:53 pm Mularkey and the Titans have "mutually agreed to part ways." per Field Yates.
Foxborough - where hopes and coaches go to die.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

So it looks like Patricia to the Lions, McDaniels to the Colts, and Schurmur to the Giants.

Vrabel is said to be interviewing with the Titans.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I heard the Patricia thing as almost official this morning on the radio. That the Lions had called other coaches to say, nope, but they hadn't confirmed Matty Patty. I think it's a good step. I only imagine he's got a great relationship with GM. He's played both sides of the ball and he's, what's the term? Wicked Sma'ht? I've got high hopes.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm I heard the Patricia thing as almost official this morning on the radio. That the Lions had called other coaches to say, nope, but they hadn't confirmed Matty Patty. I think it's a good step. I only imagine he's got a great relationship with GM. He's played both sides of the ball and he's, what's the term? Wicked Sma'ht? I've got high hopes.
They can't confirm anything (or even officially offer a contract) until the Pats are out of the playoffs.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They’ve done studies for years, resting your starters in the last week of the season doesn’t make you any more likely to lose after a bye. It’s an artifact of you noticing and remembering every time it happens and ignoring every time it doesn’t.

Will be interesting to see how the exodus of Pats coaches fares this time. They don’t exactly have a great track record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Make up bags of change
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm Will be interesting to see how the exodus of Pats coaches fares this time. They don’t exactly have a great track record.
I'll be happy to take my chance. Quinn has had the best head on his shoulders of any GM since I've been paying attention and Patricia opted to work with him over his native Giants. Schwartz and then Caldwell already brought in badly needed culture changes but now Quinn needs to bring us to the next step and he should know what he's getting.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm Will be interesting to see how the exodus of Pats coaches fares this time. They don’t exactly have a great track record.
I think McDaniels will be the most interesting one to follow. He's flamed out once and was said to have done a thorough postmortem to make sure he didn't make the same mistakes twice. I think he's a really creative play caller for New England. It will be very interesting to see what he can do with someone like Luck or (heaven forbid) Eli.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Eli and Philip Rivers were in the same draft class. I have been saying for several years that the Chargers need to draft a quarterback before Rivers collapses.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:30 pm
I think McDaniels will be the most interesting one to follow. He's flamed out once and was said to have done a thorough postmortem to make sure he didn't make the same mistakes twice. I think he's a really creative play caller for New England. It will be very interesting to see what he can do with someone like Luck or (heaven forbid) Eli.
Have *any* former Belichick coordinators succeeded as a head coach? I'm curious how this wave fares, but "not a great track record" is, if anything, very generous.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am
Have *any* former Belichick coordinators succeeded as a head coach? I'm curious how this wave fares, but "not a great track record" is, if anything, very generous.
I think O'Brien will be a good coach. It may wind up at the college level, but I think he's got a good chance in the NFL too.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm
I think O'Brien will be a good coach. It may wind up at the college level, but I think he's got a good chance in the NFL too.
Oh right, forgot about O'Brien. I suppose he's been reasonably successful thus far (albeit a bit spotty at times).
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

msteelers wrote:Which of course means his job is safe and Todd Haley will not have his contract renewed.
Haley is reportedly out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thomas Moorehead is the Saints punter who tore rib cartilage during the game. Vikings fans began donating him money for toughing it out and lining up at the end for the extra point. He said everything donated through the end of the week will be given to the MN Children's hospital (I've been there - a worthy cause). It quickly got to $12k and then really started to take off. If it hits $100k, he'll fly to MN during Super Bowl week and present the check in person.

I really love this trend for NFL fans. See - good things do come out of Buffalo! :D
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Nick Saban (college, obviously), Kirk Ferentz (college) from the old Browns days. Bill O'Brien (still has time to flame out or get much better), Josh McDaniels (see: O'Brien, Bill), Mangini sucked, Romeo Crennel couldn't cut it as a HC but turned back into a good DC, and Charlie Weis wasn't very good as a HC either.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:23 pm Thomas Moorehead is the Saints punter who tore rib cartilage during the game. Vikings fans began donating him money for toughing it out and lining up at the end for the extra point. He said everything donated through the end of the week will be given to the MN Children's hospital (I've been there - a worthy cause). It quickly got to $12k and then really started to take off. If it hits $100k, he'll fly to MN during Super Bowl week and present the check in person.

I really love this trend for NFL fans. See - good things do come out of Buffalo! :D
He's up to 150k.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is as good a place as any for this news.

Vince McMahon (of WWE and XFL fame) is getting back into the pro football business. An official announcement is scheduled for 3 PM Eastern today.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the next development in camera technology.
It's almost as if people are the problem.