Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: NFL 2018 Week 3

Post by msteelers »

It’s hard because prior to this year stuff like the Clay Matthews hit wasn’t only a legal play, it was the type of play that got you to the Pro Bowl. But the league HAS to protect their top players.

And I’ve seen multiple high profile quarterbacks get knocked out for the season on plays just like the Matthews hit. When a quarterback goes down on his shoulder like that, and the defender lands on top of him with all of his weight, I’m holding my breath hoping that there isn’t a broken collarbone or other injury to the QBs shoulder.

So I can see both sides here, but I ultimately agree with what the league is trying to do.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am I mean I’m not going to get carried away and do something insane. :)

I’ll just note that I don’t like the rule, and continue to watch.
The problem is that there is a difference between tackling someone and falling on him and tackling someone and then driving him into the ground, and apparently many of the officials don't see those as different things. I believe the rule is written in a vague way so as to make both illegal.

You can watch any game and see plays called or not called that look exactly alike. Much like the targeting rule in college.

When the talk during a game becomes more about the definition of what something is rather than the actual action on the field you have problems, and the NFL has problems.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I really only watch to see how my fantasy players are doing these days.

I'll pull for someone in the Super Bowl although this past years was very difficult but as a Cowboys fan I could not pull for the Iggles.
And I'm only a casual Cowboy's fan these days. Not a Jerry Jones fan. I can pull for the Saints or Falcons just as well.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can't help but see Will Farrell when ever I see Ben Roethlisberger.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pmThe problem is that there is a difference between tackling someone and falling on him and tackling someone and then driving him into the ground, and apparently many of the officials don't see those as different things. I believe the rule is written in a vague way so as to make both illegal.
I agree, except ratings are up, and I'm not watching any less football. Because football with the occasional stupid roughing the passer penalty is still better than !football.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
msteelers

Re: NFL 2018 Week 4

Post by msteelers »

I’ve been watching this all day.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Poor Conte. He’s famous a few times over for being stiff-armed into oblivion. When he was on the Bears a few years back, Fred Jackson consumed his soul with a devastating stiff arm in overtime on his was to a Bills victory.

Also, several owners (and Aaron Rodgers) have come out against the Aaron Rodgers rule. I don’t know when, but this rule will get revoked at some point.
Make up bags of change
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Conte also was hurt on the play and had to leave the game. You wonder how much of that hurt was to his pride.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:34 pm Also, several owners (and Aaron Rodgers) have come out against the Aaron Rodgers rule. I don’t know when, but this rule will get revoked at some point.
If I was Aaron Rodgers and they called it the Aaron Rodgers, I'd be against it too, but it seems to me the rule was implied before but primarily selectively applied to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady with a few other occasional beneficiaries. I'm ambivalent about my Rodgers take though. He'd scream like primadonna high school wannabe for not getting ridiculous calls, but then if it works, why wouldn't you?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:34 pm I don’t know when, but this rule will get revoked at some point.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2479 ... -penalties
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It’s called the Aaron Rodgers rule because it was specifically added because of the play that snapped his collarbone last year. Much like the Tom Brady rule which magically appeared after Tom Brady’s knee ligaments got snapped like twigs (and not, say, after the year before when Vince Wilfork did the exact same thing to JP Losman’s knee).
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think this is going to be the Patriots year. :(
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:I don't think this is going to be the Patriots year. :(
God I hope not.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:34 pm I don't think this is going to be the Patriots year. :(
You didn't get around to watching Sunday's game until today?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 am
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:34 pm I don't think this is going to be the Patriots year. :(
You didn't get around to watching Sunday's game until today?
Savoring it one quarter per day.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Tonight's game has been a shootout thus far. Entertaining to watch, though I don't have much of a preference for one team or another. Doesn't even have serious fantasy implications. But it definitely has been more interesting than the usual TNF matches in recent memory.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One of my FF matchups is D vs. D on this game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:One of my FF matchups is D vs. D on this game.
Mine is QB vs QB.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m currently losing the race to the bottom by one point.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 pm Tonight's game has been a shootout thus far. Entertaining to watch, though I don't have much of a preference for one team or another. Doesn't even have serious fantasy implications. But it definitely has been more interesting than the usual TNF matches in recent memory.
I left Cousins on the bench this week in favor of Matt Stafford.

:violence-shootself:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I left Goff on the bench in two of my three leagues. :horse:
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So apparently the Dolphins have a top 3 DVOA defense so far this year? I'm going to have to pray that either that's a small sample size outlier, or that Josh Gordon plays out of his mind (in one form or another), or else the Patriots are pretty boned.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 am So apparently the Dolphins have a top 3 DVOA defense so far this year? I'm going to have to pray that either that's a small sample size outlier, or that Josh Gordon plays out of his mind (in one form or another), or else the Patriots are pretty boned.
They've played the Titans, Jets, and Raiders.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 am So apparently the Dolphins have a top 3 DVOA defense so far this year? I'm going to have to pray that either that's a small sample size outlier, or that Josh Gordon plays out of his mind (in one form or another), or else the Patriots are pretty boned.
Well, that helps me feel better.

Though the Patriots WR corps does not.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, Brady is 14 -1 against Miami at home. Plus, I bet he's pissed about the last game (or at least that was my justification for starting him over Goff...).
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:21 pm
msteelers wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm
Well, that helps me feel better.

Though the Patriots WR corps does not.
I'm kind of leaning towards picking the Patriots in my survivor pool this week. I went with Miami last week at home over the Raiders.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:26 pm Also, Brady is 14 -1 against Miami at home. Plus, I bet he's pissed about the last game (or at least that was my justification for starting him over Goff...).
Neither of those supplies a good wide receiver, or a defense that can actually stop anyone. Did you know that thus far the Patriots are leading the league in 10+ yard rushes allowed?

We'll see, though. The Patriots have certainly have had bad Septembers before, but this feels a little different.

Though Gordon is a bit of a wild card - if he plays and is amazing, that changes things.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:26 pm Also, Brady is 14 -1 against Miami at home. Plus, I bet he's pissed about the last game (or at least that was my justification for starting him over Goff...).
Neither of those supplies a good wide receiver, or a defense that can actually stop anyone. Did you know that thus far the Patriots are leading the league in 10+ yard rushes allowed?

We'll see, though. The Patriots have certainly have had bad Septembers before, but this feels a little different.

Though Gordon is a bit of a wild card - if he plays and is amazing, that changes things.
If it helps Miami lost their pass rusher. I forget the guy's name but its been all over the place because he tore his knee up making a sack and trying not to land on the QB in the process.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:21 pm Though the Patriots WR corps does not.
My FF team concurs
You should have heard all the Lions talk about Brady after a double digit loss and Belichick when playing a former staff member. I wouldn't buy in to any New England lore but look solely at their opponent's ability to double team gronk. If they can easily set up a pass rush that both take Gronk out of the game and the rest of the field covered with competent backers/secondary, that's it for the Pats. I don't think they're coming back this year.

I'm feeling like proud prognosticator not buying into all the Rodgers hype pre season. I think both he and Brady are getting long the tooth. Brady will become useless over the next two seasons and I still think Rodgers is one big injury from retiring this year.

That said I still can't pick for shit in FF.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Bears fans right now:
Spoiler:
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Lol!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Trubitsky isn't there yet on his progressions, but he can make the throws and 3-1 is 3-1.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm still not sold on Trubsiky being worth the No. 2 overall pick (or trading 3 draft picks to move up one one fucking spot to get him), but today he looked damn good. And this defense is great fun to watch. Holy crap is Khalil Mack awesome.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whodathunk preseason the Bears would be the strongest team of the NFC North? Though, I did predict the Pack would have tremendous fall (after losing Rodgers to age and injury and that is still my prediction) and the Lions would take step back, I still put you in last, figuring the Vikings would walk away with it, with the other three fighting for a pathetic show at second and I actually put you as the most pathetic of the three, even if improved from last year. From where I sit, Mack was a game changer.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I feel better now.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 am From where I sit, Mack was a game changer.
They already had a very good defense, but with Mack there's a whole lot of confidence that at any point during a drive, something explosive can happen. It's a vibe I haven't really felt since the mid-80's...an intimidation factor that could get into the heads of opposing QBs before the game even starts.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Very un-Chargers like victory. Usually when they get hosed like that fumble recovery that was legislated away they roll over. Instead they took it away again to seal the deal.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Patriots need to find a way to play the Dolphins every week. Probably some stupid league rule against it though.