Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm Man, it pays to be Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen right now. Even Baker Mayfield.
How do you figure?
With record money being given to second tier quarterbacks, these guys are in the catbird seat.
It's possible if they show well enough to earn a second long term NFL contract. But they won't make that money on their rookie deals. They could just as easily be RGIII or Kaepernick or any other QB who flames out (for whatever reason) after their rookie deal.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm Nobody seems to know what the guaranteed money in the contract is.
$90 million over the first 3 years of the deal according to ESPN.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holy cow! That is a ridiculous amount of money for someone that has started, what?, 8 NFL games in his career? Granted, he looked pretty good in his time with SF at the end of last season, but that's still a huge risk.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FWIW, Deadspin is reporting it's only $74M guaranteed.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm FWIW, Deadspin is reporting it's only $74M guaranteed.
I did hear the $90m figure on ESPN. I don't know if that is right or not.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

And so it begins! NFC west is on notice
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

gameoverman wrote:The way it looks to me is people resent that he got a better offer and took it- how dare he?!?!
People resent that he agreed to terms to become the next head coach of the Colts. That stopped the Colts from continuing their head coaching search. McDaniels went so far as to contact the assistants he wanted, and asked them to quit their jobs to come work for him in Indy. After the Super Bowl concludes, Josh McDaniels reiterated AGAIN his intent to take over for the Colts, and continued the process of lining up additional assistants.

That’s the part that the breeds resentment. That he continued, right up until the last moment to get other people to leave jobs and uproot their families, and then he bailed on all of them.

It doesn’t help that he’s already been viewed by many as a smarmy douche.

It was rare enough that his agent publicly shit all over him and quit.

The night before I started at my current job, I had another employer call me and make a better offer. At no point in time did I entertain it because the job that I got here came via a friend, and I would never do something that would make him look like an asshole.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jonathan Martin Taken Into Custody After Threatening Instagram Post Causes High School To Close
Los Angeles prep school Harvard-Westlake closed both its campuses this afternoon after former NFL offensive lineman and Harvard-Westlake alum Jonathan Martin tagged the school in an Instagram post, in which he made threats against those he said bullied him. The photo included a gun and shells on a bed, along with the sentence, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.” Martin was later taken into custody.

Martin was the target of Richie Incognito’s bullying and taunts during the Miami Dolphins’ 2013 season, and Incognito was one of those tagged in the post, along with Dolphins lineman Mike Pouncey. Martin said in 2015 that he once attempted suicide during his NFL career.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NFL competition committee is discussing the possibility of limiting defensive pass interference penalties to, at most, 15 yards.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Should have been done years ago and a rule change I heartily endorse.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Addio, Papa
Pizza chain Papa John's will end its sponsorship deal with the NFL next season, after years of being "the official pizza of the NFL."

The end of the pizza chain's sponsorship comes two months after Papa John's founder and CEO John Schnatter stepped down amid controversy over remarks he made about NFL players' protests during the national anthem hurting the company's business.

The announcement was reported first by Fox Business Network's Charles Gasparino before being confirmed in an earnings call with the company's investors Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement to media, the two organizations announced that the business relationship would shift to individual relationships with local NFL teams and personalities.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Glad I won't have to see Papa John's incredibly punchable face during games any more.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 am Glad I won't have to see Papa John's incredibly punchable face during games any more.
I like how they blame their decreasing sales on the NFL and how the league is supposedly becoming a toxic brand.

Maybe people stopped buying Papa Johns pizza because it is increasingly shitty?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kelric wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm Should have been done years ago and a rule change I heartily endorse.
I don't like it as it's better to commit pass interference than give up a 30 yard pass.

Maybe a 1/2 the distance to the goal compromise?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 am
Kelric wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 pm Should have been done years ago and a rule change I heartily endorse.
I don't like it as it's better to commit pass interference than give up a 30 yard pass.

Defenders might argue it is better to try and be sneaky and commit PI on a 30 yard pass and get flagged 75% of the time rather than give up a completion 95% of the time. (All percentages made up to support my side of the argument.) I'm sure we'll see more blatant PIs, but how does the same rule effect the college game? I haven't watched enough NCAA ball to make a good judgement on that.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kelric wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am

Defenders might argue it is better to try and be sneaky and commit PI on a 30 yard pass and get flagged 75% of the time rather than give up a completion 95% of the time. (All percentages made up to support my side of the argument.) I'm sure we'll see more blatant PIs, but how does the same rule effect the college game? I haven't watched enough NCAA ball to make a good judgement on that.
Anecdotally, I get way more bothered by college PI than I do at pro.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kelric wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 amhow does the same rule effect the college game?
I share ND's concern. The instant that rule passes, I'm teaching every DB I have to commit PI on deep balls where I got beat and can't quite recover (that happens a lot now anyway though, since the PI is better than giving up a TD). But on a long bomb, converting that into a 15-yard gain vs a 30-yard gain is a solid win by the defense, no?

The college game has had this rule for a while though, so I assume I'd hear them screaming loudly if this was happening there.
Make up bags of change
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think now would be an appropriate time for everyone to share their favorite memory of the Mike Glennon Era in Chicago.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Out of all the issues in the league, changing the PI rule is not one I would be concerning myself with if I were on the competition committee.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 am

Anecdotally, I get way more bothered by college PI than I do at pro.
Because players are doing this, or because of the shitty quality of reffing in college in general? If you're an NFL fan who is really bothered by the officiating there, stay far, far away from the college game. ;)
RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am
Kelric wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 amhow does the same rule effect the college game?
I share ND's concern. The instant that rule passes, I'm teaching every DB I have to commit PI on deep balls where I got beat and can't quite recover (that happens a lot now anyway though, since the PI is better than giving up a TD). But on a long bomb, converting that into a 15-yard gain vs a 30-yard gain is a solid win by the defense, no?

The college game has had this rule for a while though, so I assume I'd hear them screaming loudly if this was happening there.
It happens, but not at a level that really bothers me. I haven't studied it (has anyone?), but I would imagine it happens a bit more at the college level just because of the rules. Far more concerning is mystery of whether any given ref will call any given contact pass interference or not.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 am Out of all the issues in the league, changing the PI rule is not one I would be concerning myself with if I were on the competition committee.
I would rather they focus on magically changing a pass receiver into a running back once he catches the ball.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:37 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:22 am Glad I won't have to see Papa John's incredibly punchable face during games any more.
I like how they blame their decreasing sales on the NFL and how the league is supposedly becoming a toxic brand.

Maybe people stopped buying Papa Johns pizza because it is increasingly shitty?
YMMV, but the Papa Johns near where I live brings me perfectly edible pizza every time I order from them. Better than Dominos (whose quality has improved dramatically recently) and MUCH better than Pizza Hut (where the local one went way downhill and is now closed).
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:17 pm
msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 am Out of all the issues in the league, changing the PI rule is not one I would be concerning myself with if I were on the competition committee.
I would rather they focus on magically changing a pass receiver into a running back once he catches the ball.
Good news, that already happens! Now, whether we can agree on when he catches the ball is a completely different question. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

Wouldn't it make sense to have two penalties? Have Pass Interference, as now, but it's enforced as a 15 yard penalty. Then add Flagrant Pass Interference where it's really egregious and have that be spot of the foul, as now.

Basically if it's incidental type contact, 15 yard. If the defensive back basically tackles the receiver while the ball is in flight, spot of the foul.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I think that the one thing we've learned is that asking these refs to make split-second judgment calls like that with the game operating at full speed is going to cause more arguments than it's worth.

They already have an incidental contact penalty, don't they? 5 yards and automatic first down. Or did they get rid of that? Or does it not apply if the ball is in the air?
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 pm I think that the one thing we've learned is that asking these refs to make split-second judgment calls like that with the game operating at full speed is going to cause more arguments than it's worth.

They already have an incidental contact penalty, don't they? 5 yards and automatic first down. Or did they get rid of that? Or does it not apply if the ball is in the air?
I don't disagree exactly. But one concern I would have with this rule change, if I were the NFL, is wouldn't it make sense for DBs to essentially tackle a receiver before the ball gets there if they've been badly beat? *That* would look bad, so it seems like the rules would need to account for it in some way.
Black Lives Matter.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

If defenders starting tackling every deep ball receiver, then I'd be throwing deep every time. Fifteen yards per penalty may get you there a little slower...but it will still get you there.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

This rule hasn't destroyed college football. As I noted earlier, there are a few instances of obviously beaten DBs tackling WRs, but it's not some plague that overtakes games and has eliminated deep passing. I predict we'll get a handful of instances this year where it will happen with a disproportionate amount of hand-wringing, but that's about it.

Personally, I don't really have a preference. I see the merits of both approaches.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm
Personally, I don't really have a preference. I see the merits of both approaches.
Tell me, ImLawBoy - what makes a man turn neutral?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm
Tell me, ImLawBoy - what makes a man turn neutral?
After very careful deliberation, I just don't care.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Malificent wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 pm YMMV, but the Papa Johns near where I live brings me perfectly edible pizza every time I order from them. Better than Dominos (whose quality has improved dramatically recently) and MUCH better than Pizza Hut (where the local one went way downhill and is now closed).
Then you're not gonna like this one bit.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Malificent wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 pm If defenders starting tackling every deep ball receiver, then I'd be throwing deep every time. Fifteen yards per penalty may get you there a little slower...but it will still get you there.
That should do wonders for the ratings...
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm
Malificent wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 pm If defenders starting tackling every deep ball receiver, then I'd be throwing deep every time. Fifteen yards per penalty may get you there a little slower...but it will still get you there.
Since it doesn't happen in college football where the rule exists today, I wouldn't worry too much about this scenario.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I heard this asked on ESPN this morning and nobody could really think of how the college rule has changed things. You still don't see DB's committing the foul rather than getting beat on a regular basis. It also limits the effect of bad calls, and lets face it, many pass interference calls are bad calls.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:01 pm

I heard this asked on ESPN this morning and nobody could really think of how the college rule has changed things. You still don't see DB's committing the foul rather than getting beat on a regular basis.
College coaching is very different than NFL coaching. I look forward to the rule implementation and Belichick getting a chance to coach his DBs in the technicalities.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stessier wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:20 pm

I heard this asked on ESPN this morning and nobody could really think of how the college rule has changed things. You still don't see DB's committing the foul rather than getting beat on a regular basis.
College coaching is very different than NFL coaching. I look forward to the rule implementation and Belichick getting a chance to coach his DBs in the technicalities.
The NFL is by and large not where you go to find creative coaching. That's much more prevalent at the college level.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Since it doesn't happen in college football where the rule exists today, I wouldn't worry too much about this scenario.
Why not? I don't watch college football anymore because it became uninteresting. I am very concerned the same thing will happen in the NFL.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Why not? I don't watch college football anymore because it became uninteresting. I am very concerned the same thing will happen in the NFL.
College football is uninteresting because of the various talent levels from team to team. The worst team in division 1 has no chances against the Alabamas of the world. Even undefeated teams can't get respect (I'm still a bitter UCF-alum).

The difference between the NFL's best teams and its worst is relatively small, and most teams fall right in the middle. It makes for more competitive and exciting games.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I heard this asked on ESPN this morning and nobody could really think of how the college rule has changed things. You still don't see DB's committing the foul rather than getting beat on a regular basis. It also limits the effect of bad calls, and lets face it, many pass interference calls are bad calls.
The thing to keep in mind here is that in College, you tend to see FAR more wide open receivers, mostly due to either talent disparity, schemes creating busted coverages and mental mistakes. All of those are far fewer in the NFL, which means that it will come into play at lot more in the NFL than in college, where a DB may be interfering or thinking about it, but someone else is wide open anyways so the QB doesn't even go towards the potential PI.

in the NFL now, the PI rule is definitely impacting competition and should be changed - ball at the 1 and/or 40 yard penalties on judgement calls which favor the call of Defensive PI vs Offensive PI can be (and have been) huge game-changers.

But I don't know if this is the right solution or not. I'd want to see data.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I still think you'll see a lot fewer big pass plays (IMO, a highlight of any game) as DBs will certainly be coached to chuck the receiver if there is any chance they can catch it. It's not unthinkable that this could lead to more injuries as well.

Maybe you need three levels of penalty. Illegal contact for the more incidental stuff (5 yards, 1st down). 15 for standard pass interference - a defender arrives too early making a play, doesn't turn around, etc. The third would be intentional pass interference, where there the defender simply hauls down the receiver. This should be a personal foul, and the ball should be at the spot of the foul to discourage just the sort of play we are talking about.
Black Lives Matter