Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by Jeff V »

I still think you'll see a lot fewer big pass plays (IMO, a highlight of any game) as DBs will certainly be coached to chuck the receiver if there is any chance they can catch it. It's not unthinkable that this could lead to more injuries as well.

Maybe you need three levels of penalty. Illegal contact for the more incidental stuff (5 yards, 1st down). 15 for standard pass interference - a defender arrives too early making a play, doesn't turn around, etc. The third would be intentional pass interference, where there the defender simply hauls down the receiver. This should be a personal foul, and the ball should be at the spot of the foul to discourage just the sort of play we are talking about.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm
Malificent wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 pm If defenders starting tackling every deep ball receiver, then I'd be throwing deep every time. Fifteen yards per penalty may get you there a little slower...but it will still get you there.
That should do wonders for the ratings...

Since it doesn't happen in college football where the rule exists today, I wouldn't worry too much about this scenario.
Why not? I don't watch college football anymore because it became uninteresting. I am very concerned the same thing will happen in the NFL.
I don't know what you're saying "why not?" to. To why you don't just see players tackling receivers? I can't answer that. To why you shouldn't worry about it? I already stated my case.

I'm really not worried about your opinions on college football - you've made them very clear in the past, and I have no interest in debating them with you. I'm just telling you that the rule in college hasn't led to the concern you stated.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pmMaybe you need three levels of penalty. Illegal contact for the more incidental stuff (5 yards, 1st down). 15 for standard pass interference - a defender arrives too early making a play, doesn't turn around, etc. The third would be intentional pass interference, where there the defender simply hauls down the receiver. This should be a personal foul, and the ball should be at the spot of the foul to discourage just the sort of play we are talking about.
Works for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Also, don't players get ejected after a second personal foul? If intentional take downs are classified as a personal foul, ejecting after 2 would cut down on teams putting this strategy into their game plan.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Niners easily handed the Raiders their first loss by winning the coin flip grabbing the #9 pick. Rematch will happen later this year at Levi's stadium.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A rocky start didn't stop Taron Johnson from finishing strong in the Gauntlet. 🙌
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Richard Sherman is being released today.

Given everything else that's happened this week, the Seahawks are going to look completely different next year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Browns (Browns!) are making some moves! Report is that they’re trading for Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. Those two with Josh Gordon make for a potentially potent offense.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm The Browns (Browns!) are making some moves! Report is that they’re trading for Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. Those two with Josh Gordon make for a potentially potent offense.
The Browns also traded Kizer to the Packers.
Hodor.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm The Browns (Browns!) are making some moves! Report is that they’re trading for Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. Those two with Josh Gordon make for a potentially potent offense.
The Browns also traded Kizer to the Packers.
Landry for a 4 and a 7 on a long term deal should be a nice play - he only turned 25 years old in November. Some first round WRs don't hit their stride until year 3 (so if they came out at 23 they'd be 25) and he has four productive seasons under his belt. Sure, it drives up his salary, but the Browns can handle that.

Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd rounder is an interesting move. I think it shows they expected NONE of the top two tiers of QB FAs to sign with them, and that they are planning on getting a 1st round QB to develop.

I like the Kizer trade for the Packers - all it costs them is a CB they were no longer sold on and a 4/5th round pick swap - and they get a guy to try and develop behind Rodgers for three more seasons.
naednek

Post by naednek »

one of my worst nightmares... Richard Sherman possibly signing with the 49ers. Yes we need CBs but hell no to him
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 am one of my worst nightmares... Richard Sherman possibly signing with the 49ers. Yes we need CBs but hell no to him
Heh. This is my wife's (big Niners fan) sentiment too.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And now it’s done: 49ers and CB Richard Sherman reached agreement tonight on a three-year deal, source tells ESPN.

Sherman is a 49er.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Biyobi wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 am one of my worst nightmares... Richard Sherman possibly signing with the 49ers. Yes we need CBs but hell no to him
Why's that? I like Sherman a lot - behind the bluster he seems like a pretty smart guy.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 pm
Biyobi wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm
Why's that? I like Sherman a lot - behind the bluster he seems like a pretty smart guy.
I don't know, maybe the total disrespect, won't shut up, arrogant attitude he displays. He's not as good as he thinks he is.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

He has the most interceptions and passes defended than any player since he entered the league in 2011. I don’t know how that doesn’t make him one of the best CBs in the league.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 am He has the most interceptions and passes defended than any player since he entered the league in 2011. I don’t know how that doesn’t make him one of the best CBs in the league.
Fourth on the list over that time period is Darrell Revis. No one thinks he is one of the best.

Sherman is very good, but coming off a tough injury. He's likely no longer a shut down corner. Still should be above average though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But most of those for Revis came when he was indeed considered the best. But Revis got old. Sherman is still in his prime years; the main concern is his injury. If he can come back and play like he did prior to the injury (granted a big if), he’ll still be one of the top corners in the league.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, the fact that Revis is 4th on that this is a testament to how good Revis was - considering he’s been trash for at least three of those years. Sherman certainly was one of the best CBs in the league, but it remains to be seen how he responds to injury.

I get the 49ers fan hate though. It be like if Brian Cox had come to play for Buffalo years ago. That would have been a bitter pill to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Re: NFL 2018 Free Agent Season

Post by Jeff V »

Free Agent season starts tomorrow. The Bears will reportedly follow up last year's $45 million signing of a career bench warmer (I know, it's cold and those benches don't warm themselves!) with $42 million for a receiver who, if he was a horse, would have been put down last year after destroying his knee during week 1. Allen Robinson should be a marvelous bookend with Kevin White, who has yet to spend any quality time on the playing field since being drafted.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drew Brees stays put:
The New Orleans Saints have buried any lingering questions about the future of Drew Brees.

The team on Tuesday struck a two-year deal with their star quarterback worth $50 million -- including $27 million in guarantees -- sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Jane Slater. Brees was ranked No. 2 behind Kirk Cousins in NFL.com's Top 101 Free Agents of 2018.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kirk Cousins bet on himself and won. Big.

3 year, $84 million, fully guaranteed contract with the Vikings.

In other words, when adding the franchise tags, Kirk Cousins will make approx. $128 million for the previous two seasons and the following three. Guaranteed.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm Kirk Cousins bet on himself and won. Big.

In other words, when adding the franchise tags, Kirk Cousins will make approx. $128 million for the previous two seasons and the following three. Guaranteed.
So I guess the Vikings aren't confident about Bridgewater going forward?
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm Kirk Cousins bet on himself and won. Big.

I certainly wouldn't have figured them to be in the QB market. Betting the farm on someone coming off a mediocre year doesn't seem to me to the best use for all that money. I assume their QB situation was more dire than they were publicly letting on.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I would imagine that's what this signifies.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well Case Keenum signifies mediocrity for the Broncos.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm So I guess the Vikings aren't confident about Bridgewater going forward?
I would imagine that's what this signifies.
Especially since he just signed with the Jets (who have already promised Josh McCown the starting job).

The Titans have signed Malcolm Butler to pair with former Patriot Logan Ryan, as well as Dion Lewis today. With Jon Robinson at GM and Vrabel at HC (and Josh Kline at guard (I still don't understand why the Patriots cut him)), they're clearly working on building Patriots South. Neither Butler nor Lewis were worth the money to the Pats (Butler was never coming back anyway after that ridiculous SB benching), but I will miss Lewis. He's a fantastic athlete and RB.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Would like someone to steal Solder away from Brady’s blindside if possible, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Make up bags of change
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 pm Would like someone to steal Solder away from Brady’s blindside if possible, thanks.
No thanks.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I certainly wouldn't have figured them to be in the QB market. Betting the farm on someone coming off a mediocre year doesn't seem to me to the best use for all that money. I assume their QB situation was more dire than they were publicly letting on.
You do know that Cousins has had 3 4,000 yard seasons in a row, right? Case Keenum has 0. Teddy Bridgewater has 0. Sam Bradford has 0. Keenum has bounced around to several different teams, Bradford has as well. Bridgewater is coming off a really bad injury Bradford is coming off a season ending injury. Cousins (edited to fix the typo) has not missed a game since he started. I wouldn't say any of Cousins last 3 seasons was mediocre.

Sticking with Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater would be a risk. Cousins is as close to a sure thing as you are going to get this year. Yes, they spent a ton of money on him but he's the only missing piece of the puzzle for them. They have an excellent running back returning, a solid WR group, and a great defense. Sure, they could have rolled the dice on Keenum (or Bridgewater or Bradford) but they have the cap space and Cousins latest "mediocre" season was better than any those three have ever had. When he gets to Minnesota he's going to enjoy better receivers, a better running back, and a better line than what he had in Washington. It would not be at all surprising to see him have a record year for himself and Minnesota.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Wow! Good for him.

I'm seeing a lot of stories saying the Vikings will be a force to be reckoned with for the next several years. Hard to argue with that right now. We'll see.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Browns are making more moves, this time picking up Carlos Hyde. Their offense might be pretty scary next year. Of course, being the Browns, I'm sure all they players they picked up will get injured during the preseason.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am The Browns are making more moves, this time picking up Carlos Hyde. Their offense might be pretty scary next year. Of course, being the Browns, I'm sure all they players they picked up will get injured during the preseason.
He'll turn into Carlos Jekyll.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kelric wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:15 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 pm Would like someone to steal Solder away from Brady’s blindside if possible, thanks.
No thanks.
Looks like the Giants snagged Nate Solder. Huzzah!
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am The Browns are making more moves, this time picking up Carlos Hyde. Their offense might be pretty scary next year. Of course, being the Browns, I'm sure all they players they picked up will get injured during the preseason.
He'll turn into Carlos Jekyll.
Winnar!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Joe Thomas is retiring.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC Sports (whole article)
Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett was indicted by a grand jury today in Houston on a felony charge of injury of the elderly, stemming from an incident at last year’s Super Bowl.

Bennett, who played for the Seahawks at the time and was attending the Patriots-Falcons Super Bowl as a spectator while his brother Martellus Bennett played for the Patriots, is accused of rushing the field after the game and pushing a 66-year-old paraplegic woman who was working at the stadium.

According to the indictment, Bennett was told he couldn’t access the field from the place where he was trying to gain entry, and instead of complying he pushed the woman aside, injuring her.

There is no word on the nature of the woman’s injuries, and there has been no explanation about why it took 13 months for charges to be brought.

It is unclear whether the Seahawks and Eagles knew about the incident when Bennett was traded from Seattle to Philadelphia last week.

The NFL could discipline Bennett under the league’s personal conduct policy, regardless of the outcome of the criminal case.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NFL
Approved 2018 playing rules

1. By Competition Committee: Makes permanent the playing rule that changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.

2. By Competition Committee: Changes standard for a catch.

3. By Competition Committee: Makes the penalties for illegal batting & kicking the same.

4. By Competition Committee: Authorizes the designated member of the officiating department to instruct on-field game officials to disqualify a player for a flagrant non-football act when a foul for that act is called on the field.

5. By Competition Committee: Eliminates the requirement that a team who scores a winning touchdown at the end of regulation of a game to kick the extra point or go for two-point conversion.

6. By Competition Committee: In overtime, if the team that possess the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession and the second team loses possession by an interception or fumble, the down will be permitted to run to its conclusion, including awarding points scored by either team during the down.

7. By Competition Committee: Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:23 pm NFL
Approved 2018 playing rules

5. By Competition Committee: Eliminates the requirement that a team who scores a winning touchdown at the end of regulation of a game to kick the extra point or go for two-point conversion.
Will be interesting if this figures into a points scored tiebreak.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter