Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: NFL 2018 Pre-Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 amI didn't think the one in the 49ers/Texans game (called on the 49ers, so not biased) was justified. (2:00 left in the 2nd quarter)
In Wk1, I don't think I saw more than one that was justified. In Wk2, most of the ones I saw were justified (didn't see the one you were referring to, but I'll take your word for it). It's the second week of implementation though, so I will continue to cut some slack until the regular season starts. At which point everyone will ignore the rule every time it is called appropriately, and scream to the high heavens every time it's not. Same as always. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 am
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:58 amI didn't think the one in the 49ers/Texans game (called on the 49ers, so not biased) was justified. (2:00 left in the 2nd quarter)
In Wk1, I don't think I saw more than one that was justified. In Wk2, most of the ones I saw were justified (didn't see the one you were referring to, but I'll take your word for it). It's the second week of implementation though, so I will continue to cut some slack until the regular season starts. At which point everyone will ignore the rule every time it is called appropriately, and scream to the high heavens every time it's not. Same as always. :)
I rarely get the defenseless receiver call correct so I'm skeptical I'm going to agree with these new ones. However, I can still enjoy basketball in spite of the craziness that goes on there, so I'm sure I'll be able to deal with weird football calls too.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

So on that fumble recovery, how was that not a penalty?!

The guy that recovered the ball was on the ground, the Ravens defender lowered his helmet and legitimately dove into the Colts player head first. They threw a flag and then picked it up.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I saw a QB get obliterated on a play with a roughing the passer call, and my Twitter feed was losing its mind that the NFL has gone cream puff and how can that be a penalty.

Maybe something is wrong in my brain. When I watch the play, I see the defender lower his head and clearly launch into the QB. That’s legitimately a textbook example of the kind of hit that they are trying to remove from the game. Are my eyes deceiving me?
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rodgers got his contract extension. Reports are kind of all over the place in terms of what he got, but they agree on a lot of money.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm Rodgers got his contract extension. Reports are kind of all over the place in terms of what he got, but they agree on a lot of money.
Good, does this means he no longer has to whore himself out to an insurance company to make ends meet?
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm Rodgers got his contract extension. Reports are kind of all over the place in terms of what he got, but they agree on a lot of money.
Good, does this means he no longer has to whore himself out to an insurance company to make ends meet?
He said in the press conference that he just does that gig to annoy people. Didn't really go into it beyond that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Teddy Bridgewater is being traded to the Saints. Haven't seen what the Jets are getting back.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:33 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm
He said in the press conference that he just does that gig to annoy people. Didn't really go into it beyond that.
They're also usually long term contracts. He probably makes $8-10M a year in endorsments. Forbes had it at $7.5M in 2015.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:Teddy Bridgewater is being traded to the Saints. Haven't seen what the Jets are getting back.
Teddy and a 6th from the Jets for a 3rd from the Saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Re: NFL 2018 Cut Season

Post by Unagi »

Go Bears!

:horse:

Bold move with both the trade (2019 & 2020 first round picks - and some change) - and then the contract with Mack.

$141 million for 6 years. $90mil of that guaranteed, and 60mil of that up front.

…making him the highest paid non-quarterback, I believe.

Gotta be a bit of a gut-punch for the Raiders.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:31 am Gotta be a bit of a gut-punch for the Raiders.
And then they had to swallow cutting WR Martavis Bryant, who they traded a third-rounder for in this year's draft, plus trading away a fifth-rounder for QB AJ McCarron from the Bills. To say the fanbase isn't happy at Silver and Black Pride might be be a slight understatement.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If you see something, say something... or else...
Given all of this, it is easy to imagine how a 24-year-old Buffalonian, a young man who felt like his life was falling apart, whose ties to the social contract had been severed, who had recently suffered a nervous breakdown and seriously considered suicide, who was almost certainly suffering from undiagnosed PTSD, who—although he was a decorated veteran of the recent Gulf War—was now working as a poorly paid security guard on the graveyard shift at the Buffalo Zoo, with side gigs as a rent-a-cop at local pro wrestling matches and monster truck rallies, who was therefore so short on money that he didn’t even have phone service, who spent his free time nursing conspiracy theories about the U.S. government and writing ominous letters to the editor of his local paper—it is easy to imagine how this young man might have been lured into making a bad decision: into betting all of the very little money he had, and then some, on a victory for the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVII.

The young man was Timothy McVeigh. He was a Buffalo Bills superfan. McVeigh grew up in a rural town called Lockport, just on the edge of Buffalo—the fringe of the American fringe—and Bills football was a sort of religion for him.
though maybe it's just the quiet bills fans you have to keep an eye out for (and thus, mabye we don't need to keep *that* close of an eye on RM9! ) :coffee:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Chargers bring Antonio Gates back out of retirement. Unusual, but they were very thin at tight end.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Re: NFL 2018 Week 1

Post by Apollo »

Our offense (Atlanta) looked absolutely pathetic in the Preseason. Now to see if that was a real sign of trouble or if it was just the Preseason and it will have no bearing on how we play tonight. I'm predicting Philly 24-13.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Apollo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 pm Our offense (Atlanta) looked absolutely pathetic in the Preseason. Now to see if that was a real sign of trouble or if it was just the Preseason and it will have no bearing on how we play tonight. I'm predicting Philly 24-13.
Worse than Nick Foles 0 points during the Eagles preseason? No Alshon Jeffery either and with the weather could be an ugly game.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Foles is like a vampire in search of a stake.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I watch every Atlanta game, and I've seen every game Matt Ryan has played in other than 3 or 4 games my local network didn't broadcast. And that was the worst I've ever seen him look. Even when he had time he couldn't seem to find anyone open. It'll take another few games to see if it was something unique about Philadelphia or if it was all Matt.

That game was so typical of last year's team that I'm already a bit discouraged. But then again, as a Falcons fan, I'm used to it. :grund:
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

With the way preseason is handled by most teams now week 1-4 of the "season" is now the real preseason for starters. I understand the reasoning but as a fan/viewer I am beginning to think I should call week 5 the first week of real NFL and start watching then.
malchior

Post by malchior »

After this game I hope they casebook the hell out of this roughing the quarterback stuff. The Jarrett call in particular showed that the interpretation needs a lot of work. I don't know what he could have done differently.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Saw a replay of the Bengals player taking Andrew Lucks head off. It looked pretty flagrant to me. Apparently the defender was ejected.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brady is on pace to throw 64 interceptions. :coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:39 pm Saw a replay of the Bengals player taking Andrew Lucks head off. It looked pretty flagrant to me. Apparently the defender was ejected.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This is by far the worst performance I’ve ever seen by an NFL team. I’ve never seen a team as unprepared to play a game as the Bills are for this game. This is grotesque. The other team has 40 points and you *still* haven’t gotten a first down on offense.
Make up bags of change
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yikes.

It’s a good thing I picked the Ravens in my survivor league.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And a good thing I played Baltimore defense in my fantasy league!
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Wtf - Pittsburgh / Cleveland goes to OT and Fox comes back and says they can’t show the OT period. Another win for the NFL... what a bunch of idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
DD*

Post by DD* »

Sorry CBS not Fox

Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Unless it’s your local game, they can’t show early games once the afternoon games start. It’s stupid.

On a different note, I have no idea how defensive players are supposed to be able to sack a QB while avoiding having their body land on the QB. I’ve already seen a bunch of penalties for that on what otherwise was a textbook hit.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Announcers were just talking about how the Kansas City fans were making so much noise that it was hard for the Chargers to makes their audibles at the LOS.

Difficulty: The game is in LA.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

msteelers wrote:Yikes.

It’s a good thing I picked the Ravens in my survivor league.
I mean, I knew the Bills would lose (the Ravens were my pick as well). But this was terrible. Already locked in my pick for the Chargers next week.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:On a different note, I have no idea how defensive players are supposed to be able to sack a QB while avoiding having their body land on the QB. I’ve already seen a bunch of penalties for that on what otherwise was a textbook hit.
Didn’t see the play, but generally you can have your body land on them. You can’t drive your body weight into the QB on the ground.
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Most of the calls I saw were on plays where the DL just happened to land on the QB as part of the tackle. In almost every case across multiple games, the announcers mentioned that this was one of the rules emphasized by the league this year.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 pm Most of the calls I saw were on plays where the DL just happened to land on the QB as part of the tackle. In almost every case across multiple games, the announcers mentioned that this was one of the rules emphasized by the league this year.
That was what I was referring to above with the Jarrett call during the Eagles game. I've seen wide variance in how it is being enforced. Honestly it is a very difficult penalty to judge. It is early still but it is all over the place and the penalty is a personal foul so it is extreme in impact to the game. They need to work it out sooner than later.

Here is some coverage of the rule and it has a clip of the Jarrett play to give context.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Myles Garrett play was one of the ones I saw today, I honestly don’t know what he could have done differently.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm a little nervous that the Khalil Mack trade will be muffled by the new rules generally against defensive aggression.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow, crazy comeback by Green Bay to take the lead late. Will be interesting to see if Chicago can eek out one final score. Great game.

EDIT: Wow... that last drive for Chicago was ugly.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

On the plus side for the Bears, Mack looks to be delivering what they paid for. On the negative side, they're still the Bears.
DD*

Post by DD* »

What a game! Had no real skin in it, but watching GB / Chicago was a lot of fun.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I knew the bears were doomed when they took the field goal instead of going for it on 4th and one. Blah blah, play to win, not to avoid losing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter