Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by stessier »

Bills Center Eric Woods was told he had a career ending neck injury during his end of year physical. He's holding a press conference later to give more details. He played in every game this year and never showed evidence of an injury. Scary.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, he was surprised by it no doubt after not missing a snap this year. He’s a pretty good center, but a phenomenal team leader and man in his community. That will be missed. He found out a few weeks ago but didn’t say anything because he was the first alternate for the Pro Bowl and he was hoping to get the call and that would be his last game.

If he can escape the NFL and have a normal life (physically), then what a blessing they found out about this in the season-ending physical rather than having it turn into a catastrophic neck injury on the field.

The good news for Eric (and how you know this is serious) is that his contract next year was guaranteed against injury, the designation of which is at the team’s sole discretion.

By not clearing him to ever play football again, the Bills are on the hook to pay him $4.8M next year.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Alex Smith traded to Washington and then receives a four-year extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ashington/
geezer

Post by geezer »

Dogstar wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 am Alex Smith traded to Washington and then receives a four-year extension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ashington/
:grund:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

welcome to Denver Mr Cousins

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Pyperkub

Re: Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by Pyperkub »

Xmann wrote:welcome to Denver Mr Cousins

I wonder if he'd sign with the giants just to get a chance at playing the skins twice a year...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Re: Re: NFL 2018 Offseason

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 am
Xmann wrote:welcome to Denver Mr Cousins

I wonder if he'd sign with the giants just to get a chance at playing the skins twice a year...
If the Giants are keeping Eli around, why would Kirk go there?
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw an article stating that Cousins will be the first franchise QB to hit free agency since Drew Brees (and Drew Brees was recovering from late season shoulder surgery).

Imagine if the Dolphins (under Nick Saban at the time) had signed Brees instead of Culpepper that year.

Would Saban have gone to Alabama the following year, or would he have maybe stayed and won a Super Bowl (or more) with the Dolphins?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 pm Saw an article stating that Cousins will be the first franchise QB to hit free agency since Drew Brees (and Drew Brees was recovering from late season shoulder surgery).

Imagine if the Dolphins (under Nick Saban at the time) had signed Brees instead of Culpepper that year.

Would Saban have gone to Alabama the following year, or would he have maybe stayed and won a Super Bowl (or more) with the Dolphins?
My dad said that Saban was interviewed on David Feherty's show on Golf Channel recently, and Saban said if he had Brees, he never would have left Miami.

I found it hard to believe Saban meant it, but he did say it.
Hodor.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I understand why KC would want to trade him but I don't see Washington's angle on this. Cousins/Smith aren't the same type of QB but I'd feel comfortable saying I think they are on more or less the same performance level. One is not an upgrade from the other. The only thing that might make this understandable for me is the Washington/Cousins relationship was poisoned by them tagging him. So he was grumpy and they got scared that he wasn't 100% into playing for them anymore.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 am I understand why KC would want to trade him but I don't see Washington's angle on this. Cousins/Smith aren't the same type of QB but I'd feel comfortable saying I think they are on more or less the same performance level. One is not an upgrade from the other. The only thing that might make this understandable for me is the Washington/Cousins relationship was poisoned by them tagging him. So he was grumpy and they got scared that he wasn't 100% into playing for them anymore.
If it true as you state, that Smith and Cousins are on the same performance level, then Washington's angle on this is clear. Its all about the benjamins. They couldn't afford to franchise Cousins again at $34.5 million and a viable contract for him is expected to net between $28-29 million annually. Smith is getting around $23.5 Million per year. That saves them around $20 million over the contract for a proven QB. Add in that they were likely going to lose Cousins to free agency regardless and the move makes sense.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 am I understand why KC would want to trade him but I don't see Washington's angle on this. Cousins/Smith aren't the same type of QB but I'd feel comfortable saying I think they are on more or less the same performance level. One is not an upgrade from the other. The only thing that might make this understandable for me is the Washington/Cousins relationship was poisoned by them tagging him. So he was grumpy and they got scared that he wasn't 100% into playing for them anymore.
Yeah, when Bruce Allen threw him under the bus last offseason by airing the details of the "offer" the Redskins made him that Cousins turned down (while calling Cousins Kurt repeatedly in the process), the chances Cousins was coming back to DC was pretty close to zero.

I get the feeling the Redskins went for the best non-Cousins QB available, and don't care that they're going to let Cousins walk away and get nothing for him.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rshetts2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 am
If it true as you state, that Smith and Cousins are on the same performance level, then Washington's angle on this is clear. Its all about the benjamins. They couldn't afford to franchise Cousins again at $34.5 million and a viable contract for him is expected to net between $28-29 million annually. Smith is getting around $23.5 Million per year. That saves them around $20 million over the contract for a proven QB. Add in that they were likely going to lose Cousins to free agency regardless and the move makes sense.
Don't forget that they're also giving Kansas City Fuller, who everyone seems to view as a high quality cornerback. So it kind of makes some sense now, but it makes no sense vs. what should have been the plan, which would be to give Cousins a contract two years ago and not be huge dicks to him (and keeping their starting cornerback as well).
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You know, that spanish-speaking gentleman, the one we all call Kurt.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 am
rshetts2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 am
Don't forget that they're also giving Kansas City Fuller, who everyone seems to view as a high quality cornerback. So it kind of makes some sense now, but it makes no sense vs. what should have been the plan, which would be to give Cousins a contract two years ago and not be huge dicks to him (and keeping their starting cornerback as well).
To be fair, Fuller played as a slot corner with the Redskins. Whether he's a capable full time NFL starter is yet to be determined, but he was a REALLY good slot corner last year.
Hodor.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

If you think you have your QB of the next decade then flipping your 34 year old QB with one year left who has shown you his ceiling, in return for a 3rd round pick and a young starting CB with two years of control, then you take it. Oversimplifying it turns the deal into KC's 2017 1st rounder (#27), 2017 3rd rounder, their 2018 1st rounder (#22) and Alex Smith in return for Patrick Mahomes, a 2018 3rd rounder, and Fuller. Two firsts, a 3rd and an old QB for a young QB, a 3rd and a starting CB. Whether Fuller is a #2 or a #3 doesn't really matter, as so many teams play nickel so often that your best slot corner is essentially playing starting-level snaps.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kelric wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm If you think you have your QB of the next decade then flipping your 34 year old QB with one year left who has shown you his ceiling, in return for a 3rd round pick and a young starting CB with two years of control, then you take it. Oversimplifying it turns the deal into KC's 2017 1st rounder (#27), 2017 3rd rounder, their 2018 1st rounder (#22) and Alex Smith in return for Patrick Mahomes, a 2018 3rd rounder, and Fuller. Two firsts, a 3rd and an old QB for a young QB, a 3rd and a starting CB. Whether Fuller is a #2 or a #3 doesn't really matter, as so many teams play nickel so often that your best slot corner is essentially playing starting-level snaps.
Additionally, if/when the Redskins lose Cousins in Free Agency, they will receive a 3rd round compensatory draft pick (if they don't sign any big free agents). So essentially the Redskins are currently positioned to be paying less over the next few years @ QB in exchange for a slot corner.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Like the Redskins will be able to avoid signing any "big" free agents. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:Like the Redskins will be able to avoid signing any "big" free agents. Image Image Image
Danny boy Snyder does like buying the latest shiny things.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Josh McDaniels, colossal douche. What a dick move. And I say that because he agreed to become the coach of the Colts and spent the day calling assistants to line them up for jobs.

Including the three assistants who signed contracts. And then McDaniels bailed and ran back to the Pats. Oof.
Make up bags of change
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

learned how much of a dickhead he was the year he was in Denver.

Karma will get his ass.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Makes me think he has been assured he will be Belichick's heir apparent sooner rather than later, and that he gets to pick his newly drafted QB of the future this season (or next).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

McDaniels may have made a dick move but Indy messed up as well.
In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice McDaniels, who had yet to sign a contract with the Colts , to remain in New England, a source said.
Agreeing to terms is not the same as signing a contract, as pro football has shown us many times before. They made offers to assistants before McDaniels was signed and while this sucks for the Colts who will now have to find a new head coach willing to take on someone else's coaching staff, they jumped the gun on those assistants contracts.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

How could he sign a contract with the Colts when he was still coaching the Patriots as of Sunday?
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

rshetts2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 amAgreeing to terms is not the same as signing a contract
Legally? No, they are obviously not the same. Professionally? Good luck ever getting a job offer from one of the other 31 teams ever again. His agent apparently agrees, having told Josh that he was making the worst mistake of his professional life by doing this.
rshetts2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 amthey jumped the gun on those assistants contracts.
Did they? They're new head coach who had agreed to terms was doing his job and contacting assistants to get them to uproot their families to come to Indy to coach for him. That's a completely normal thing for an incoming head coach to do (when they've had three weeks already to line up assistants and convince them to uproot their lives to come work for him). The idea that he would tell the Colts that they had a done deal, then do this to people that are obviously close to him/people that he trusts...well, I suppose that tells you everything you need to know about the character of Josh McDaniels.

And the idea that he is returning to NE because Kraft sweetened his contract is absolutely ludicrous. He's the next head coach of the Patriots, and sooner rather than later. That is the only reason that you commit what amounts to professional suicide (with every other employer).

But he's still an epic douche for doing this. Mostly because of what it means to those he convinced to come coach in Indy (I don't really care how this impacts the Colts themselves).
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, it's not a good look. Though a lot of this depends on what exactly McDaniels told the Colts (and especially, on what McDaniels told the hired assistants), and what else developed behind the scenes. I've seen a couple reports that the Colts knew that he was waffling on accepting the job. Also, as someone who once backed out after accepting a job offer when a better offer subsequently developed elsewhere - if Kraft swooped in and basically said I'll make you head coach of the Patriots when Belichick retires in a year or two...it's douchey, but I can't come down *too* hard on him for that.

Still, he'd *better* have been told that he'll be named the Patriots' next head coach, or else this is colossally stupid of him. Of course, even then, no one will be sympathetic if the Patriots later renege on that.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm Josh McDaniels, colossal douche. What a dick move. And I say that because he agreed to become the coach of the Colts and spent the day calling assistants to line them up for jobs.

Including the three assistants who signed contracts. And then McDaniels bailed and ran back to the Pats. Oof.
This is probably just a question of ignorance, but isn't this culture of college football where they come from. Isn't it standard operating procedure to promise highschool kids the moon and then move on to other jobs after they sign? These are 16 and 17 and 18 year old halfmen who aren't getting paid and committing years of their lives for a college education they won't receive so they can make a university millions of dollars.

But I agree, not so much for Indy but the staff he made promises to. It's a dick move and as a potential cog in his team, I wouldn't even take him at his word on anything after that.
El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm
Still, he'd *better* have been told that he'll be named the Patriots' next head coach, or else this is colossally stupid of him. Of course, even then, no one will be sympathetic if the Patriots later renege on that.
Why would you take them at their word if their willing work with someone who breaks agreements simply because they are contracts?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:54 am
rshetts2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 amAgreeing to terms is not the same as signing a contract
Legally? No, they are obviously not the same. Professionally? Good luck ever getting a job offer from one of the other 31 teams ever again. His agent apparently agrees, having told Josh that he was making the worst mistake of his professional life by doing this.
rshetts2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:27 amthey jumped the gun on those assistants contracts.
Did they? They're new head coach who had agreed to terms was doing his job and contacting assistants to get them to uproot their families to come to Indy to coach for him. That's a completely normal thing for an incoming head coach to do (when they've had three weeks already to line up assistants and convince them to uproot their lives to come work for him). The idea that he would tell the Colts that they had a done deal, then do this to people that are obviously close to him/people that he trusts...well, I suppose that tells you everything you need to know about the character of Josh McDaniels.

And the idea that he is returning to NE because Kraft sweetened his contract is absolutely ludicrous. He's the next head coach of the Patriots, and sooner rather than later. That is the only reason that you commit what amounts to professional suicide (with every other employer).

But he's still an epic douche for doing this. Mostly because of what it means to those he convinced to come coach in Indy (I don't really care how this impacts the Colts themselves).
I do not disagree with the points you made. I agree that McDaniels screwed over Indy. I never said that what McDaniels did was honorable. He is absolutely an epic douche for doing this. All I said was that Indy jumped the gun on signing those assistants because clearly they did not have McDaniels locked up as much as they thought. That's pretty indisputable. Considering that McDaniels was trained by Belichick, a guy who bailed on the head coaching job with the Jets, one day after taking the job, this is not as big a surprise as it should be for most other coaching candidates. I will admit that I was unaware that it was business as usual to sign assistants before the head coach was signed, because I am honestly unaware of that happening. I do know that assistants currently with teams have been retained under those circumstances, but hiring new assistants from outside the organization prior to the head coach signing, that I do not recall. Perhaps you could point me to what instances you are referring to?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Yea, it is rare to see new assistants hired, by the incoming coach, and then see the incoming coach back away. The Colts have said they will honor the contracts but don't be surprised if they end up eating 1-2 of those when whoever they do hire wants to bring in his own guy.

McDaniels now is probably only fit for one HC job, the Pats job. And after seeing what he did with Denver I can't wait for Bellichik to retire.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

rshetts2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:28 pmI will admit that I was unaware that it was business as usual to sign assistants before the head coach was signed, because I am honestly unaware of that happening.
For all intents and purposes, McDaniels was hired three weeks ago when he agreed in principle to the terms the Colts offered. Given the attention to detail and preparation that these people have, do you think he waited until Monday morning to think about the assistants he would hire? That three of them were under contract by Monday morning tells me that they had already worked the details out in advance. The three individuals left their current jobs for Indy and McDaniels. McDaniels was on the phone during the day, contacting other potential assistants to get them to come join his staff.

The notion that the Colts should have been preparing for McDaniels to walk away...after hiring three assistants and calling others...makes no sense to me.

As his agent noted, this will go down as the worst mistake in his professional career, and the agent terminated his relationship with McDaniels.
Make up bags of change
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I read a bit about the Colts thing. Why would the team do anything without him signing a contract first? I mean things like announcing on Twitter you reached an agreement with him or hiring the assistants he wants, why do that? That seems ill advised at best, stupid at worst.

I don't think he'll have trouble finding more work, no matter what happens with the Patriots. Coaches who consistently lose get hired again and again, what would teams other than the Colts and Broncos have against hiring him? Because of the Colts looking dumb? If you're an owner do you want to admit you'd have done the same thing they did? Not me. He couldn't leave me hanging like that so therefore I have no reason to object to what he did- that's how I think other owners will see it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Usually a coach is hired at the end of the year and then they try to get their staff together as soon as possible because it is at the end of the year when guys are looking for new work or are available to be hired. Staffs are put together then. The Colts obviously assumed, like everyone else, that mcDaniels really wanted to be the coach and so when he recommended and hired staff they had no problem with it.

I would imagine the Pats DC who was hired by the Lions had been busy doing the same thing with the Lions. If the Colts thought McDaniels was thei best option then they had to wait for him to be available which meant getting staff on board ASAP was a big deal.

McDaniels just screwed everybody. The Colts and the guys he hired as staff.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm Yeah, it's not a good look. Though a lot of this depends on what exactly McDaniels told the Colts (and especially, on what McDaniels told the hired assistants), and what else developed behind the scenes. I've seen a couple reports that the Colts knew that he was waffling on accepting the job. Also, as someone who once backed out after accepting a job offer when a better offer subsequently developed elsewhere - if Kraft swooped in and basically said I'll make you head coach of the Patriots when Belichick retires in a year or two...it's douchey, but I can't come down *too* hard on him for that.

Maybe the Patriots will do the same to him :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gameoverman

~

Post by gameoverman »

If that's the way it's done, a mad rush to scoop up the best assistants, then I don't see the reason for all the anger. They'd all know you can't count your chickens before they hatch. The way it looks to me is people resent that he got a better offer and took it- how dare he?!?!

The owners have no loyalty to coaches or players, the owners do what's best for the owners. If it benefits coaches or players, that's just an unexpected side benefit. That's why players and coaches need to do what's best for themselves, no one else has their interests at heart. Now whether this move turns out to be a good one is up in the air, but I'm not going to second guess him. I don't know what his goals are or the nature of the offers he got.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Niners are set to make Garoppolo the highest paid player in the NFL.

Yep:
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.

The bar for signing Kirk Cousins has just been raised.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Re: ~

Post by Scuzz »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 pm If that's the way it's done, a mad rush to scoop up the best assistants, then I don't see the reason for all the anger. They'd all know you can't count your chickens before they hatch. The way it looks to me is people resent that he got a better offer and took it- how dare he?!?!

The owners have no loyalty to coaches or players, the owners do what's best for the owners. If it benefits coaches or players, that's just an unexpected side benefit. That's why players and coaches need to do what's best for themselves, no one else has their interests at heart. Now whether this move turns out to be a good one is up in the air, but I'm not going to second guess him. I don't know what his goals are or the nature of the offers he got.
Well, his agent quit after the move so you can assume he violated someone's trust.

And oh yea, Bellichick is going to teach him how to build a team. :)
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm Niners are set to make Garoppolo the highest paid player in the NFL.

Yep:
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.

The bar for signing Kirk Cousins has just been raised.
Nobody seems to know what the guaranteed money in the contract is.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Man, it pays to be Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen right now. Even Baker Mayfield.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm Man, it pays to be Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen right now. Even Baker Mayfield.
How do you figure?
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm Man, it pays to be Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen right now. Even Baker Mayfield.
How do you figure?
With record money being given to second tier quarterbacks, these guys are in the catbird seat.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter