The Ineluctable 2018 Weight Loss Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

The Ineluctable 2018 Weight Loss Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Code: Select all

01/01 - 256.4
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Re: The Ineluctable 2018 Weight Loss Thread

Post by hentzau »

Alright, let's do this. I'll get my stats later today.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Nice marmot adjective.

I guess I need to get the Wii set up for the first time since the move, either that or pick up a scale at Value Village.

I did attempt to exercise this morning for the first time since 1882, by "running" up and down the apartment stairwell. We'll see if I do again tomorrow. I'm tracking my progress on a spreadsheet.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scale says 208. Wife gave away our nice digital scale and replaced it with an old fashioned rotary dial.

If and when I resume hamster wheel use depends on if this plague ever leaves. I just coughed out a third of my lung and last night the 4 year old was so frustrated with his coughing that he started yelling at it between fits. This has been ongoing for two months now.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy wrote:Nice marmot adjective.

I guess I need to get the Wii set up for the first time since the move, either that or pick up a scale at Value Village.

I did attempt to exercise this morning for the first time since 1882, by "running" up and down the apartment stairwell. We'll see if I do again tomorrow. I'm tracking my progress on a spreadsheet.
:D Thank you.

I’m shooting for 100 trips on the bike. Just finished #1, and have a flip score chart coming later this week to keep track.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

01/01 190.9
TOTAL -

Miles walked this week: 0
Miles walked this year: 0

Miles walked 2017: 514.5
Miles walked 2016: 725.8
Miles walked 2015: 593.9
Miles walked 2014: 735.7

Alrighty then. The forecast is seriously wintry for the rest of this week and I'm going to a New Year party tonight, so the year is unlikely to get off to a good start.

I've been tracking my weight since 2004, when I invented walking. My highest was 206 on 8/31/04 and my lowest was 157.5 on 4/18/06. Ideal would be anywhere between 160-170. Objective for this year is to get back into the 170s.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:13 pm
I’m shooting for 100 trips on the bike.
I'd love to get back to those numbers butnoir bike commuting is not practical. It's a rare occasion that I don't have to either drop off one or more kids in the morning or pick them both up after work. And I still haven't road tested an optimal route to work, it's about 25 miles but in and out of the Fox valley so not easy miles. And while my replacement bike is a touring bike that should be good for such trips, it's such a tank compared to the carbon/aluminium road bike it replaced after the accident. I don't think I broke 30 miles in a single day all last summer.

At least at the moment there seems to be a greater than zero chance the kids might coexist in the Burley, something not even worth the attempt last year. I do need to refurbish it first and put the mounting bracket on the new bike. It'll be awhile though, temps have been subzero the past few days and I won't ride with snow and ice on the roads.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah... mine’s a recumbent stationary sitting in front of my 65” tv.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I loaned my scale to my mother, what a mistake. At least I just maintained for the first nine months of last year and then... :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I gained 10+ pounds over the holidays. That's not that unusual as I usually eat terrible and stop exercising in the period from October - December. But what's disappointing is that I was doing pretty well running over the spring and summer and thought this would be the year where I would maintain at least some semblance of good habits.

The good news is that my bad cholesterol was down and good cholesterol up since same time last year, so at least the first 3/4 of 2017 paid off. This gives me some motivation going into the New Year that I can repeat that success and maybe stay a bit more focused for next holiday season.

1/1/17 - 197.0
Last edited by YellowKing on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Last year was a wash. I went up, then down, then back to almost exactly where I started. I want to make some progress, not just sit still.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

2017 was a rough year for my waistline. The amount of candy and sweets that I've had access to has been off the charts over the holidays. I'll jump on the scale tomorrow morning, but I know I'm going to be up close to the heaviest I've ever been which was 250 pounds about 7-8 years ago. I got down to 190 at one point, but that didn't last long. I was hovering around 210-220 for awhile, but I bet I'm near 240 now.

Ultimate long term goal: Get down to 190-200 pounds, and stay there.

2018 goal: Get back down to near 210 pounds, and stay there.

January goal: Work out 3 days a week every week.

This week's goal: get in the habit of weighing myself in the mornings.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I start this year too damn heavy 226.9

Have had a Peloton a little over a month and this seems to be a game changer for exercise- at least there can be no excuses about weather or dark.
Starting a program called PowerZone training which started with a Functional Threshold Power test which was humbling

1/8 226.2 Change: -0.7 Focus for the coming week- hydration
1/16 225.6 Change: -0.6 still suck at hydration

Peloton miles biked 2018: 112.9 Calories burned: 6579
Last edited by Jaddison on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 amHave had a Peloton a little over a month and this seems to be a game changer for exercise- at least there can be no excuses about weather or dark.
Starting a program called PowerZone training which started with a Functional Threshold Power test which was humbling
I've always been cautious about buying exercise equipment. I'm afraid that it will quickly just become clutter and be used more to hang laundry than actual exercise. But I saw the commercial for the Peloton on TV last night, and it looked interesting. Do they charge extra for the videos, or are they included with the purchase of the bike?

I think making some form of exercise equipment purchase might be necessary at some point in 2018. I've tried to go running through our neighborhood, but the summer Florida sun is unforgiving and makes any attempt at jogging 100x more difficult than it already is.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Peloton is $1995 for the bike and $39 a month for the subscription.

I did the 0% financing for 39 months which includes the bike and the subscription.

There is a $250 delivery fee and they also offer a $225 accessory package that includes mat to put the bike on, shoes (pedals require you to clip in), weights and ear buds oh and a HR monitor. You can get at least $100 off accessory pack with a referral code

After a month I can attest to the quality of the bike and the quality of the classes. I never thought that having an instructor would be such a great a experience but it is. Not only are there live classes but every class is then saved and available on demand. It is easy to filter by instructor, length of time, type of class (beginner, low impact, intervals etc- all the way to professional cyclists workouts). They have a large number of Beyond the Ride workouts that go from stretching to yoga to strength training.

The community is also a very positive and helpful place. You can join the Official Peloton Riders page no matter whether you have a bike or not to read what others experience or ask questions- over 50k members. There are also groups specifically for Power Zone training Heart Rate training.

Overall it has exceeded my expectations and my expectations were pretty high. I suggest watching some YouTube videos about others Peloton experience and maybe finding a showroom and clipping in. I know I sound like a Fan boy which I never expected either 8-)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 am Peloton is $1995 for the bike and $39 a month for the subscription.
:shock:
There is a $250 delivery fee and they also offer a $225 accessory package that includes mat to put the bike on, shoes (pedals require you to clip in), weights and ear buds oh and a HR monitor. You can get at least $100 off accessory pack with a referral code
Oh yeah, that's going to be an emphatic "hell no" from me. $2,000 for the bike, a subscription service on top of it, and they still charge you for delivery and accessories? :naughty:

I'm glad it's working for you though. I'm way too cheap/broke to ever consider doing something like that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you can pick up a Schwinn 230 for $350 or less, and a few DVDs of cycling workouts. Or just watch Netflix.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 pm Or you can pick up a Schwinn 230 for $350 or less, and a few DVDs of cycling workouts. Or just watch Netflix.
That's more my speed. I could swing that... eventually.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

there are articles about which bikes and how to set up an exercise bike and then use the Peloton app. Here is one article https://boingboing.net/2017/04/05/diy-p ... verts.html if you are going that route make sure you read about the types of resistance used in different bikes.

I was on the fence for a year, read about a lot of bikes and a lot of Peloton reviews. I got the accessories for free on a Black Friday deal. The $250 delivery fee included them lugging the 200 pound bike up 3 flights of stairs and setting it up including fitting me to the bike.
The subscription fee for unlimited classes and the quality of the instructors is far cheaper and more convenient than any decent spin class.

Whether or not this is a good investment will not be known until significant changes in fitness happen and if this enhances my running like it I hope it will.

Peloton so far is one of the better companies I have dealt with. It was a great experience from ordering to delivery and now through their services.

YMMV.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:42 pm Whether or not this is a good investment will not be known until significant changes in fitness happen and if this enhances my running like it I hope it will.
If you want to improve your running you need to be running. Cycling will help with basic cardio fitness but there's a limit to what pedaling can do to improve running. Take it from a guy who let his wife talk him into an elliptical. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Roger that but i need a viable cross training solution and this is it. I can already tell it is helping strengthen my knees which will be valuable. Come March I am looking at 3 days running, at least 3 45 minute classes on the bike (Endurance, Intervals, tabata) and a couple weight sessions.

What is nice about the bike is I can do HIIT, I can do intervals and not have to worry about traffic or weather.

How it all plays out will be interesting.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dec 21, 2017: 167lbs
January 2, 2018: 171lbs

I'm going the wrong way but did make it to the gym today.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm
Jaddison wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:42 pm Whether or not this is a good investment will not be known until significant changes in fitness happen and if this enhances my running like it I hope it will.
If you want to improve your running you need to be running. Cycling will help with basic cardio fitness but there's a limit to what pedaling can do to improve running. Take it from a guy who let his wife talk him into an elliptical. :P
When I started running, I began with the fitness level of an accomplished cyclist. The carry over was apparent when, on my first run, I nearly made it a full city block before I was incapacitated gasping for air.

Maybe it helped shorten the time it took to train up to a half marathon (9 months in my case) but that first few weeks were very unpleasant. I still can't believe I stuck with it, and those unfond memories are currently an impediment to getting back into it.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So apparently if you run up and down eight stories of stairs as your first act of structured exercise in ages, you'll be in too much pain to do it again on day two.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holy crap. The scale this morning read 247.2. That’s 10 pounds I added over the holiday season, and just a pound away from the heaviest I’ve ever been.

I did a quick workout yesterday after work, and felt like I was going to puke. I’m going to do some stretching tonight after work.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm out this year, I think. My kidneys failing is making exercise nigh impossible and I'm retaining fluid so my weight is affected by that. I'd love to lose some weight before the transplant since post-transplant I'll be on steroids and probably have some weight gain from that, but my focus really has to be on just keeping myself as healthy as possible and strong enough to do well in surgery.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Plus, having body parts removed is cheating.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Still haven't checked my weight. But I had a staging rehearsal for Hello Dolly in a dance studio covered with mirrors and holy cats, do I need to lose weight. That was a real eye-opener for me.

So I'm going to start tracking food intake like a madman now. It's a rough time for me to exercise, other than what I'll be getting through the dance rehearsals for Dolly, and that really isn't much.

I've downloaded MyFitness Pal and will be relying on that to keep me honest.

(And of course, on the first day that I'm really looking at this, my family wants to meet at Taco Bell for lunch.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm Plus, having body parts removed is cheating.
She's actually going to other way. I think she said they graft the new kidney on but don't remove the old ones. So she's definitely going to be at a disadvantage.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm (And of course, on the first day that I'm really looking at this, my family wants to meet at Taco Bell for lunch.)
Shredded chicken burrito, fresco style and a taco. 490 calories.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

DATE      AVG      DIF      FAT      DIF
1/5/18    245.2     ---     32.5%     ---
Fridays seem like a good day to update every week. I've been weighing myself every morning. I have a Yunmai digital scale, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a scale. It tracks body weight and body fat percentage. There's a free app that you can download, and the scale will send all measurements to your phone via bluetooth. It can also recognize multiple people, and keep track of everyones data. And they aren't that expensive, coming in under $50.

I know a lot of people say not to weigh yourself every day, but I prefer to get as much data as possible and deal with averages. That's because my weight varies wildly from day to day. So I think a better way to see where I am is to work with a 7-day average of my weight. The trick is to not freak out when I see the scale jump up by a couple of pounds for a day or two.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm (And of course, on the first day that I'm really looking at this, my family wants to meet at Taco Bell for lunch.)
If my family ever did this, I'd suspect they want me dead.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 pm Or you can pick up a Schwinn 230 for $350 or less, and a few DVDs of cycling workouts. Or just watch Netflix.
I would like to get something like that this year. I do hit the gym 3 days a week and ride for between 20-30 minutes after doing my stretching and weight routine.

I lost about 10 pounds last year working 2 jobs for about 6 months, and I have put that back on. I have had some back problems this year that ha really limited my workouts. That and the holidays. I usually put on 5-10 pounds during the holidays.

I will be back to the 2 job routine soon, so that should help drop the holiday pounds.
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm Plus, having body parts removed is cheating.
She's actually going to other way. I think she said they graft the new kidney on but don't remove the old ones. So she's definitely going to be at a disadvantage.
Yeah, and they won't do a tummy tuck or boob job during the surgery either, which seems really shitty of them. I'm already paying for the anesthesia, can't you make me better while you're already cutting? Jerks. :(
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We have some experience with a "while you're in there..." procedure and they still charge full price. So a tummy tuck or boob job is little consolation when they take an arm and a leg.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/06 - 249.6
01/01 - 256.4
Net loss - 6.8

Nothing a nice head cold can’t do for you.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Setting a more realistic goal this year. I'm shooting for 225-230. Last year I was under 230 in February but then fluctuated between 230-245 for the remainder of the year. Celebrated my 25th anniversary over New Year's Eve on a cruise and came back weighing 250.

Using the thread to keep me accountable. Weigh ins will be on Sunday or Monday but I'll start with today's weight:

2018 Goal = 225-230 lbs

01/06 = 244.8
I am also setting some running and cycling goals for the year and will add them once I decide what they are.

-Zork
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/08 -248.2
01/06 - 249.6
01/01 - 256.4
Net loss - 8.2

Back to work and a normalish food and sleep schedule.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Nothin' pretty here. I closed out last year 1.2lbs higher than I started, and about 9lbs over my lowest weight.

2018-01-01: 246.2
2018-01-08: 245.4
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:54 pm Scale says 208. Wife gave away our nice digital scale and replaced it with an old fashioned rotary dial.

If and when I resume hamster wheel use depends on if this plague ever leaves. I just coughed out a third of my lung and last night the 4 year old was so frustrated with his coughing that he started yelling at it between fits. This has been ongoing for two months now.
1/8 - New digital scale bought. After another illness-wracked weekend, survey says 207.0. YTD: -1.0
Black Lives Matter