tjg_marantz

Cranberries, Delores O'Riordan dies at 46

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hentzau

Re: Cranberries, Delores O'Riordan dies at 46

Post by hentzau »

Damn. Such a voice.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just saw that. Very sad. I was a definite fan. Loved her voice.

:cry:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Damn, that is way too young to go. RIP
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

There was a point where radio stations killed the linger song and just turned it into hurting more than helping ears listen.

Then Hollywood took the linger ball and ran with it inserting it into movies, killing the song even more.

Nobody wants to hear Linger every hour on the hour. Damn...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I went into the bathroom at work one day (in 2017) and someone was blasting "Linger" while sitting on the can. I didn't know whether to be horrified or impressed.

This is a bummer though. I was a huge fan of the Cranberries in the '90s. I followed them right up to Wake Up and Smell the Coffee in 2001 and wore most of those albums out. I loved that her accent was so prominent in her singing - a lot of times that's kind of washed away by generic pop vocals. That was a huge part of their appeal to me.

Favorite song? "Ode to My Family" from 1994's No Need to Argue. That song is about longing for childhood, and it was perfect timing since it hit right after I graduated from high school. That's the period where you're leaving adolescence behind and entering adulthood, and it's terrifying. Love the little sing song guitar riff and the repeating refrain of "Does anyone care?" which perfectly summed up sad post-high school emo life. I used to play that one track on repeat.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Love The Cranberries, favourite songs are When You're Gone, Desperate Andy, Animal Instinct and Promises. She had such an amazing voice..
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

it was perfect timing
Her vocals were the right thing for the right time. A signature in my college years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I played some Cranberries for my kids just yesterday. I liked her music with the Cranberries. Her solo album though, yeesh. That was terrible.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RIP.
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 pmNo Need to Argue[/i]. That song is about longing for childhood, and it was perfect timing since it hit right after I graduated from high school. That's the period where you're leaving adolescence behind and entering adulthood, and it's terrifying. Love the little sing song guitar riff and the repeating refrain of "Does anyone care?" which perfectly summed up sad post-high school emo life. I used to play that one track on repeat.
Ditto, though I was a few years behind you.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had been on a Cranberries 're-listen' spree the past few months. i got the album reissues from the library with (all? most of?) the b-sides and misc. compilation one-offs from each era tacked on. (including The Orb's dub version of "Zombie", heh heh)

i most recently listened to their 'orchestral versions' album that came out last year... i wasn't particularly enthralled with the unplugged-esque remakes. there was going to be a new NEW album released this year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill just repost what I posted in the other thread...

They formed and had hits right along with my greatest decade...the 90s. I still remember hearing their songs. Once in a Walmart parking lot Linger came on and when I hear it I cant help but sing do you have to do you have to do you have to smell my finger. People looked at me weird. Too Young RIP.

46 is only 2 years younger than me. Makes me worry about mortality. I wonder what happened to her.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Probably suicide or an OD, or suicide by OD. One of the stories I read said she was bipolar.

She had a unique voice and left behind some great music. RIP.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I agree with YK about her accent coming through in her vocals. That had to do with a lot of why i liked them.

I also found her very attractive, even with short hair. Combine that with an amazing voice and I was hooked. Similar to why I like Bjork as much as I do.

I didn't take the time to look, but I believe she had mental health issues. Damn shame.

RIP

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So sad. Loved her voice, and really enjoyed seeing her play live in the mid 90s. Bummer.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is pretty shallow, but damn, that camera got in tight on that NPR video. I've seen a few Tiny Office spots before, but when you can see which specific pores of someone's skin are clean or not, the camera is too damn close!

Also, she's 40 in that video, but looks 50, at least. Wow. Everybody ages differently I guess. Not sure if drugs were ever a part of her life.

I liked much of their stuff, but was not a huge fan, unlike my wife, who has every album.

Agree that 'Linger' is possibly one of the most overplayed songs in modern pop/rock history. At least it's a very good song, but still. In fact it came on the radio yesterday while I was driving in car with fam and I immediately turned it, out of habit. Wife looked at me like I was crazy " What are you doing?! That's an awesome song!" Yes, yes it was. FWIW this was before we had heard of her death.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm Also, she's 40 in that video, but looks 50, at least. Wow. Everybody ages differently I guess. Not sure if drugs were ever a part of her life.
From what I remember, she was a cigarette smoker - which is amazing given her voice. I don't know if it's something she stopped doing or had only started long after the 1990s, but that was my take on her appearance. If not for her pale complexion, I would have said it was sun damage.

I didn't want to post in this thread because the OP spelled her name wrong and it bothers me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last pic with her boyfriend around New Years Eve. Someone said they had spoke to her on the phone and she was looking forward to seeing the guy and his wife while in London for the recording session.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Smoove_B wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm Also, she's 40 in that video, but looks 50, at least. Wow. Everybody ages differently I guess. Not sure if drugs were ever a part of her life.
From what I remember, she was a cigarette smoker - which is amazing given her voice. I don't know if it's something she stopped doing or had only started long after the 1990s, but that was my take on her appearance. If not for her pale complexion, I would have said it was sun damage.

I didn't want to post in this thread because the OP spelled her name wrong and it bothers me.
Spelled wrong how?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
abr

Post by abr »

Dolores, I think.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

abr wrote:Dolores, I think.
Crap, I was concentrating so much on the last name. I'll correct it when I'm off this plane.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mulva.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Should be fixed now. And back on another plane. I'll check after. Don't fail me Tapatalk.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's been about a year, and the rest of the band has finished recording the album they were working on when she died. The first song was released yesterday:

Info about the album from Rolling Stone:
“I can’t think of a more fitting way to commemorate the first anniversary of Dolores’ passing and to celebrate her life than to announce to the world the release of her final album with the band,” Eileen O’Riordan, Dolores’ mother, said in a statement.

“I miss her awfully, specially today, as does the entire family. She was very excited about this new album and was really looking forward to its release. I have no doubt that she is happy now and would be delighted with today’s announcement.”

O’Riordan and band mate Noel Hogan began working the songs that would ultimately appear on In the End while touring in May 2017, with the duo writing and demoing 11 songs that winter. “Dolores was so energized by the prospect of making this record and to getting back out on the road to play the songs live,” Hogan said in a statement.
Comes out 4/26/19
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That I know who the Cranberries are and that I know I liked some of their music is a small miracle in itself. 46 is indeed far too young.

Yes, I realize I'm addressing a year old post, although I didn't at first. That should show you how much I pay attention to music and musicians.