NFL Playoff pain

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

NFL Playoff pain

Post by Pyperkub »

What's the most painful NFL playoff loss to you?

For me, it's probably the 1991 NFC Championship game ('90 season) (though the home playoff losses to the packers got more painful as they kept coming until The Catch 2). Curiously enough, the Super Bowl loss to the Ravens under Harbaugh isn't in the top 5.

15-1 49ers vs 14-2 Giants. Rematch of the classic 7-3 Monday night game won by the Niners earlier in the year. Niners score the only TD of the game and open up the second half in a no-huddle which appears to catch the Giants off guard, but gets doomed by penalties. Parcells, also learns from the Monday night game and calls a brilliant fake punt which gets them in FG range in the 4th Quarter. Later, with the Niners clinging to a 13-12 lead and running out the clock, hand the ball off to the usually reliable Roger Craig, who fumbles and the Giants go on to kick their 5th FG and win the game. Later it is discovered Montana was injured and would have been unable to play in the Super Bowl, and Young would have started.

Thus ended the Niners try for the three-peat.

What are your greatest moments of NFL Playoff/Super Bowl pain? I think we know RM'9's, but...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Exodor

Re: NFL Playoff pain

Post by Exodor »

I no longer watch football or this year would probably be up there for but me...

Chiefs 7, Colts 10

After going 13-3 they lose when LIn Elliot can't hit a 42 yarder (or two other FGs).
Last edited by Exodor on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The goddamn Tuck Rule.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When the Chargers intercepted Brady and could have just downed the ball and ran out the clock. But the idiot defender ran with the ball, fumbled it back to NE, and they scored the winning touchdown. :x
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

OMG. As a lifelong Eagles fan, how can I pick just one? Here's my top 3:

3) 2002 NFC Championship Game: Tampa Bay Bucs defeat Eagles, 27-10 Last game at the Vet. Eagles were favored and had owned the Bucs recently. We opened the game with a 70 yard kickoff return and Duce took it the rest of the way on the next play. Then McNabb had three turnovers, and we collapsed.

2) 1988 NFC Divisional Playoffs: Chicago Bears defeat Eagles, 20-12 Eagles lose 20-12 to the Bears in the Fog Bowl. We had Randall in his prime. We had Keith Jackson and Mike Quick. We had Reggie White and Seth Joyner. But the Bears had the fog.

1) Super Bowl XXXIX: Patriots defeat Eagles, 24-21 Of course. TO comes back from his broken ankle and plays an amazing game (9 for 122). Eagles score first and give me a glimmer of hope. McNabb throws for 3 TDs and over 300 yard but pairs that with 3 INTs, a fumble and some of the worst clock management ever witnessed on a comeback drive attempt late in the 4th quarter. Plus the puke. Or not. Who cares. The Pats win their 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years. Now that still makes me want to puke.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm What are your greatest moments of NFL Playoff/Super Bowl pain? I think we know RM'9's, but...
Scott frikkin Norwood...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

18-1.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’m torn between Wide Right and the Music City Miracle. Wide Right seems like a no-brainer because it was for the Super Bowl win, but the whipsaw of emotion in the MCM was brutal.

β€œWhere’s My Helmet?” was another tragic moment because of the immediate impact that could have changed the course of that entire Super Bowl (XXVI). The first play of the game and Thurman Thomas isn’t there because he’s looking for his helmet. The Bills had seen something on tape and had a play ready for Thurman that they were convinced would score a TD. Backup Kenny Davis had no idea what he was doing and ran the wrong way leaving Kelly standing there like an asshole. On the replay you can see a *massive* hole and nothing but open field the rest of the way. The rest of the game was an utter disaster after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Seems like there are lots of painful losses for the Ravens in the playoffs. Top two from memory:

2012 AFC Championship Game - Patriots 23 / Ravens 20.
Done in by Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff. Ugh.

2010 Division Game - Steelers 31 / Ravens 24
Late game collapse by Flacco and the defense. Ugh.

The two super bowls sooth the pain somewhat. (Though the future looks bleak.)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

When I first got interested in football, the Rams were our home team, so I was a Rams fan. It seemed that back then, in the '70s, the Cowboys and the Vikings took turns booting the Rams out of the playoffs every year. I remember people talking about how it was because the Rams, a warm weather team, always had to go to Minnesota to play and it was a frozen wasteland up there in the winter. "One day we'll host a game and things will be different" they said. They were right.

It was 1977 and Minnesota was on the downswing. The Rams got to host that game. Haha, it's going to be in 80 degree temps, in the 70s at worst. Well, it rained cats and dogs that week, unlike what you'd expect in LA. It turned the field, the pristine natural grass grown in the sun field, into a mud bowl. It was like the football gods smited the Rams before the game started. It was not like Minnesota, not especially cold or snowy, but it wasn't like LA either. The Rams lost 14-7. Yup, couldn't even score more than a touchdown they were so psychologically broken. That was the most disappointing to me.

The loss to the Steelers in the Super Bowl wasn't that bad because they weren't supposed to even be competitive in that game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kelric wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm18-1.
Pretty much. People always focus on the Helmet Catch from that game, but the moment that really sticks in my craw was a couple plays before, when Asante Samuel dropped an easy interception (pretty much hit him in the chest, albeit while he was jumping), that would have come close to sealing the win.

That said, five championships means that pain is really very, very mild.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 am
Pretty much. People always focus on the Helmet Catch from that game, but the moment that really sticks in my craw was a couple plays before, when Asante Samuel dropped an easy interception (pretty much hit him in the chest, albeit while he was jumping), that would have come close to sealing the win.

Yes. So mild, in fact, that you should STFU.

I loved Boston, but as an Eagles fan, living there for 15 years (2000-2015) during the Pats dynasty (may it soon be a thing of the past) scarred me for life. Cannot wait for them to return to mediocrity so all my Boston friends will become just a little less smug, entitled and annoying. :|
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There are a lot of painful moments. The Super Bowl loss to the Packers a few years ago was literally painful. My heart was pounding so hard during that game that I contemplated going to the doctor. My chest hurt for a few hours after the game. Then there's the Tebow Debacle, the fresh Jaguar Disaster, and all of the AFC Championship losses to the Patriots.

But the most painful to me personally would have been the 1997 AFC Championship loss to the Denver Broncos. I was in the 8th grade, and my math teacher's son was a rookie on the Broncos (Trevor Pryce). Being a huge Steelers fan (and also kind of a dick), I plastered her room with Terrible Towels and other Steelers gear on the Friday before the game.

The following Monday was not fun.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm a Lions fan. What is Playoff pain?
β€œAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

The Browns......the Browns before they fled Cleveland. The Drive, The Fumble.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jaymann wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 pm When the Chargers intercepted Brady and could have just downed the ball and ran out the clock. But the idiot defender ran with the ball, fumbled it back to NE, and they scored the winning touchdown. :x
This one for me too. Fantastic season. Then, to make it worse, they pushed Marty out.

Second is the 2009 Vikings loss to Saints. Not that it would have mattered. Favre was so beat up after that game that he probably wouldn't have been able to walk for a month. At least none of the Saints got their bounty for taking him out.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaddison wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am The Browns......the Browns before they fled Cleveland. The Drive, The Fumble.
I grew up watching Elway knock them out every year. It was always satisfying.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Bears loss in the 1986 NFC Championship game to the Redskins. Doug freakin' Flutie, man.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 am

Yes. So mild, in fact, that you should STFU.

I loved Boston, but as an Eagles fan, living there for 15 years (2000-2015) during the Pats dynasty (may it soon be a thing of the past) scarred me for life. Cannot wait for them to return to mediocrity so all my Boston friends will become just a little less smug, entitled and annoying. :|
I mean, the question was the most painful playoff football loss, and that's the answer.

It's funny because growing up the Patriots were the laughing stock of the Boston sports scene. Then overnight they went from being the Browns to being the Yankees of football.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Back when I was really invested in the Cowboys, the Dwight Clark catch I remember well.

I am not as die hard a fan these days but the Dez no catch against the Packers really sucked. I hated it more for Romo because I really liked him, thought he was a great QB, and wanted to see him take the Cowboys to a super bowl.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote:Back when I was really invested in the Cowboys, the Dwight Clark catch I remember well.

I am not as die hard a fan these days but the Dez no catch against the Packers really sucked. I hated it more for Romo because I really liked him, thought he was a great QB, and wanted to see him take the Cowboys to a super bowl.
I was at the Dwight Clark game.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 pm When the Chargers intercepted Brady and could have just downed the ball and ran out the clock. But the idiot defender ran with the ball, fumbled it back to NE, and they scored the winning touchdown. :x
I didn't remember this game (although I remember the next one the Pats played quite well - Indy/Pats and Caldwell's huge eyes as he dropped the go ahead TD). I went and looked it up. That was Rivers' rookie season! And it's possible, but not likely imo, that they would have run out the clock after the INT. There was 6:25 left in the fourth. That's a lot of time to burn.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yep, this is the one. I thought I was the only one who remembered that dropped INT. It hit him right in the hands. I still don't know how he dropped it. And then all the holding that allowed Eli to get that ball in the air.

Yeah, that's the one.
I think time has lessened it, but only a bit. It's still really bad as the stakes were so very high.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm
Yep, this is the one. I thought I was the only one who remembered that dropped INT. It hit him right in the hands. I still don't know how he dropped it. And then all the holding that allowed Eli to get that ball in the air.

Yeah, that's the one.
I think time has lessened it, but only a bit. It's still really bad as the stakes were so very high.
Yeah, but then I just watch stuff like this. Incidentally, one thing I forgot about the crazy Edelman catch is that the Atlanta defender really should have intercepted the pass - it deflected up into the air off of both of his hands. Not that it was an easy catch, since he was off-balance, but still.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm
stessier wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Yeah, that's the one.
Yeah, but then I just watch stuff like this. Incidentally, one thing I forgot about the crazy Edelman catch is that the Atlanta defender really should have intercepted the pass - it deflected up into the air off of both of his hands. Not that it was an easy catch, since he was off-balance, but still.
I don't forget - it's one of three images from that Super Bowl that act as my desktop background. I know the Pats have benefited as well and that there is no karma god..and yet. The Helmet Catch stopped a historic season. 19-0. Think of all the books that had to be scrapped! ;) And how mad all those Dolphins old timers would have been!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Isgrimnur wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:20 am
Jaddison wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am The Browns......the Browns before they fled Cleveland. The Drive, The Fumble.
I grew up watching Elway knock them out every year. It was always satisfying.
My growing up years had Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Lou "The Toe" and many others...punctuated by the Cowboys getting good or Joe Kapp knocking out Jim Houston in the NFL Championship game it was always something.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am I'm a Lions fan. What is Playoff pain?
We experience it during the regular season. It's called "mathematical elimination."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am Bears loss in the 1986 NFC Championship game to the Redskins. Doug freakin' Flutie, man.
My choice too. The Bears should have had a dynasty after the way they abused the league in 1985. This game was the beginning of the end.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

gameoverman wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 am When I first got interested in football, the Rams were our home team, so I was a Rams fan. It seemed that back then, in the '70s, the Cowboys and the Vikings took turns booting the Rams out of the playoffs every year. I remember people talking about how it was because the Rams, a warm weather team, always had to go to Minnesota to play and it was a frozen wasteland up there in the winter. "One day we'll host a game and things will be different" they said. They were right.

It was 1977 and Minnesota was on the downswing. The Rams got to host that game. Haha, it's going to be in 80 degree temps, in the 70s at worst. Well, it rained cats and dogs that week, unlike what you'd expect in LA. It turned the field, the pristine natural grass grown in the sun field, into a mud bowl. It was like the football gods smited the Rams before the game started. It was not like Minnesota, not especially cold or snowy, but it wasn't like LA either. The Rams lost 14-7. Yup, couldn't even score more than a touchdown they were so psychologically broken. That was the most disappointing to me.

The loss to the Steelers in the Super Bowl wasn't that bad because they weren't supposed to even be competitive in that game.
Back in the day, when I was a Ram fan, those losses to the Vikings were the worst losses I could ever think of.

I left the Rams when they moved to St. Louis.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Pain? You don't know pain.

I'm sure RunningMn9 was happy if he wasn't suffering under the regional TV black out. After the last Super Bowl, I'll give Falcon's fans the edge.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

stessier wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm
I didn't remember this game (although I remember the next one the Pats played quite well - Indy/Pats and Caldwell's huge eyes as he dropped the go ahead TD). I went and looked it up. That was Rivers' rookie season! And it's possible, but not likely imo, that they would have run out the clock after the INT. There was 6:25 left in the fourth. That's a lot of time to burn.
Good old Troy Brown.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kelric wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm
stessier wrote: ↑Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm
Good old Troy Brown.
And his band of reknown!

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

As a Falcons fan, I can top all of you: 28-3... :( :x :doh:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apollo wrote: ↑Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm As a Falcons fan, I can top all of you: 28-3... :( :x :doh:
:wub:

I mean, man, that must have been painful. :whistle:
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, that's my childhood.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

El Guapo wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 am
Apollo wrote: ↑Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm As a Falcons fan, I can top all of you: 28-3... :( :x :doh:

How about 1-31 record for two seasons, and you keep the coach....
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
stessier

Post by stessier »

RMC wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

At the start of the season he promised to not go 1-15 again. It's on you for not asking follow-up questions. Can't fire a guy for keeping his word.

:horse:
RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am

At the start of the season he promised to not go 1-15 again. It's on you for not asking follow-up questions. Can't fire a guy for keeping his word.

He's supposed to jump in the lake at some point... I wish he would resign and go away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RMC wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am
stessier wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am At the start of the season he promised to not go 1-15 again. It's on you for not asking follow-up questions. Can't fire a guy for keeping his word.

He's supposed to jump in the lake at some point... I wish he would resign and go away.
Given the chemical make up of the lake, it could be argued he is trying to commit suicide.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Draft picks. You should be cooking with gas right about now, right?