Question about my wife's new job

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Question about my wife's new job

Post by Xmann »

A little background...

my wife has been a Physical Therapist for 20+ years. For most of that time she has worked on an as needed basis with skilled nursing facilities.

she has since decided to work on a regular basis now that our son is in high school and becoming more independent and she doesn't feel the need to be around at home as often.

she applied for a part-time job in a hospital. this hospital is part of the largest for profit hospital system nation wide. we have 6 affiliates alone, here in Denver. she is glad she got in because it creates more possibilities and options.

she interviewed for part-time, however, when they offered her the position, it was offered at full-time. she accepted the job and been there a month.

after working a month, she realizes she is unhappy with full-time and wishes she had only accepted if part-time.

she spoke with her boss last week about options to go down to part-time. he told her he can't because someone accepted the part-time position. additionally, he says HR made a mistake and she was suppose to be offered that job and the other therapists was suppose to be offered the full-time. essentially, my wife wanted part-time and accepted full-time. the other person was suppose to be offered full-time and was offered part-time and accepted. HR got it backwards with the offers.

my wife also spoke to the other therapist and she doesn't want to switch to full-time, like she applied for. therefore, my wife can't change.

so I'm wondering, what suggestions, if any are available? since this is a large corporation and she wants to stay in the system, resigning isn't an option.

anything she can do?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Question about my wife's new job

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There is a lot of churn in hospitals, especially on the clinical side and in big systems. If she can hang on with the full time position for a while, she can wait for the right opportunity.

She should let her boss(es) know what she is looking for and check the job postings regularly. Maybe reach out to HR and the other facilities in the system.

I wouldn't put too much stake into the fact that the original offers got screwed up, they both accepted what they accepted. Just means she'll need to watch HR carefully.

Department/floor leadership might not want to see her move but trust me, admin doesn't really care as long as she stays in some capacity. Don't know the going rate for PTs but I'd guess the cost of hiring and training a new one is easily $40k.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's been over 20 years since I've worked for anyone other than myself, but from your description of the situation, sounds like she's stuck
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That hospital system is bound to have another PT position open up soon. Can she stick it out and wait for an opening?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Basically sounds like she's stuck for the moment, but should keep an eye out for part-time positions and then apply for them (and generally let her boss know that she would like to switch to a part-time position when that should become available). The only real alternative is applying for part-time positions elsewhere. The background question is how long would your wife be willing to wait (if no part-time position is forthcoming) before starting to apply elsewhere.
Black Lives Matter.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

her boss definitely knows her desire to switch to part-time.

my thoughts pretty much align with the comments from here. I've told her to hang on for a bit and surely something else will come open.

good thing there are 5 other hospitals around Denver she can transfer to if need be.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's unfortunate, but add me to the group of people that think she should make it work now with the hopes that a transfer or change in status is possible in the future. She's in the organization now - arguably the hardest thing to do. Once she's there and has a working relationship with various people, they might be willing to work around her schedule after they better understand her value. In the end it will be cheaper to reassign your wife to a P/T position than to hire a completely unknown F/T individual and hope they're a match.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

She accepted a full time position. If I was the boss I'd have to wonder about someone who accepts the full time position but then makes a big deal about not wanting that position. So then I think she's better off sticking with full time and not making an issue of it. The boss already knows she'd accept a part time position, the ball is in their court now.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Some places have a minimum time in position before allowing a change. It should be a public policy, though, so she should be able to find out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My wife manages in and outpatient PT here. First, be careful. Most places have a 90 day review period and can fire you within that 90 days. So if your wife is insistent on going PT (which it doesn't sound like she is) she could be let go. If PTs are in dire need there she would have more leeway. She said the one possibility for your wife is to talk to the part time person and see if they want full time and then they switch. My wife has swapped full/part time people like that before but not usually new hires. Swapping with the other person (or someone else) seems like the best solution. My wife doesn't care who is FT and who is PT she just needs the hours covered. That said, she may want to wait 90 days (assuming the hospital has a 90 day review policy) before she messes around with it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

her boss today told her it'll be about 4 months until they can move her down to PT

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Drag the other PT into a closet, knock her unconscious, put on her clothes and assume her identity?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

not a bad idea

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
DD*

Post by DD* »

Tell your wife to suck it up and keep bringing home the bacon, your Steam budget isn't going to fund itself. :ninja:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

DD* wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 am Tell your wife to suck it up and keep bringing home the bacon, your Steam budget isn't going to fund itself. :ninja:
+1

no wait what i meant to say is that maybe as motivation, she could use the extra FT-PT cash (that's earned until she can switch) on something for herself.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

tgb wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm It's been over 20 years since I've worked for anyone other than myself, but from your description of the situation, sounds like she's stuck
So what would you do if you put yourself in this position?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us