XFL 2020+

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

XFL 2020+

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon announced Thursday he is giving a professional football league another go.

It will be called the XFL, the same name of the league McMahon and NBC tried for one season in 2001, but it won't rely on flashy cheerleaders and antics as its predecessor did, he said.

McMahon said he is the sole funding source for the league, which is slated to begin in January 2020. Its first season will have eight teams around the country playing a 10-week schedule. The initial outlay of money is expected to be around $100 million, the same amount of WWE stock McMahon sold last month and funneled into Alpha Entertainment, the company he founded for the project.
McMahon told reporters on Thursday afternoon that he has had no initial talks with media entities.

One mark of the new league, McMahon said, will be faster games. The ideal running time, he said, would be two hours.
McMahon said players in his league will not be given the forum to take a personal stance while on the playing field.
"People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."
McMahon said being the only owner of all of the teams will allow him to do whatever he wants.

"I can say, 'Here are the rules, and as long as you are playing football in the stadium for us, you follow these rules.'"

McMahon also said he would preclude any player with a criminal record.
"You want someone who does not have any criminality associated whatsoever with them. Even if you have a DUI you will not play in the XFL," McMahon told reporters. "So that will probably eliminate some of them. Not all of them. If Tim Tebow wants to play, he can very well play."
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: XFL 2020

Post by EvilHomer3k »

but it won't rely on flashy cheerleaders
Lets not go crazy, here.

It could be good. I like the lack of antics. I also like them keeping politics out of the game (assuming they allow that outside of the game). Any criminal record at all (including OWI) seems harsh but it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure I'll check it out. Hopefully they'll have a midwest team.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

All teams owned by the same asshat? I'll pass on this circus, it's another piece of contrived crap just like pro wrestling.
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

No criminal record? No DUI I am assuming also means no misdemeanor pot busts either. Interesting position coming from the man who ran WWF/WWE, I wonder if steroids will be okay for his new XFL
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaddison wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm No criminal record? No DUI I am assuming also means no misdemeanor pot busts either. Interesting position coming from the man who ran WWF/WWE, I wonder if steroids will be okay for his new XFL
It sounds like a league fit only for Tebow. Too bad he has no football skill.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I actually think WWE would be the EXACT direction I would go if I were him. LOTS of people watch WWE. It's a soap opera for rednecks, and it works. They should have semi-scripted games, conflicts, etc. I mean we already have two products for serious football (College and NFL). We don't need another. We need one that is sheer entertainment only.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

msduncan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 pm I actually think WWE would be the EXACT direction I would go if I were him. LOTS of people watch WWE. It's a soap opera for rednecks, and it works. They should have semi-scripted games, conflicts, etc. I mean we already have two products for serious football (College and NFL). We don't need another. We need one that is sheer entertainment only.
you know what we don't have is compelling soccer that brings in lots of viewers unless it is World Cup time. Combat soccer or some such with scripted stuff. Just need to change the rules to make it more rough and tumble......or maybe cross soccer with hurling and rugby.

Clearly he thinks that the no drugs, no social statements will resonate with enough people they will spend their $s to support it but I am not so sure this will be the case.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The problem is that the product itself will be terrible. Teams full of marginal football players will be marginal. And having one owner, how would anyone trust the competitive nature of the game?

This is marketing bullshit and will fail. The only thing (IMO) that might have a chance at succeeding is an off-season development league for younger players that need time to develop. And even that has been tried and failed multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 am you know what we don't have is compelling soccer that brings in lots of viewers unless it is World Cup time.
No, that's not compelling either.

I like your idea of combat soccer though. May I suggest the inclusion of electric cattle prods?
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

RunningMn9 wrote:The problem is that the product itself will be terrible. Teams full of marginal football players will be marginal. And having one owner, how would anyone trust the competitive nature of the game?

This is marketing bullshit and will fail. The only thing (IMO) that might have a chance at succeeding is an off-season development league for younger players that need time to develop. And even that has been tried and failed multiple times.

exactly my thoughts. not sure who wants to watch second rate players who can't even make the practice squad of NFL teams.

garbage football

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 am
msduncan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 pm I actually think WWE would be the EXACT direction I would go if I were him. LOTS of people watch WWE. It's a soap opera for rednecks, and it works. They should have semi-scripted games, conflicts, etc. I mean we already have two products for serious football (College and NFL). We don't need another. We need one that is sheer entertainment only.
you know what we don't have is compelling soccer that brings in lots of viewers unless it is World Cup time. Combat soccer or some such with scripted stuff. Just need to change the rules to make it more rough and tumble......or maybe cross soccer with hurling and rugby.

Clearly he thinks that the no drugs, no social statements will resonate with enough people they will spend their $s to support it but I am not so sure this will be the case.
That's because it's soccer....
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msduncan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 pm
Jaddison wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 am

That's because it's soccer....
:roll:
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm
Lets not go crazy, here.

It could be good. I like the lack of antics. I also like them keeping politics out of the game (assuming they allow that outside of the game). Any criminal record at all (including OWI) seems harsh but it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure I'll check it out. Hopefully they'll have a midwest team.
It's not keeping politics out of the game, though, it's just setting up the league under Trumpian politics.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pmAnd having one owner, how would anyone trust the competitive nature of the game?

My understanding is that he's trying to set this league up with the same ownership structure as MLS, where the league itself owns the teams. I don't pay attention to MLS, so I don't know if anyone complains about the competitive nature there, but at least this model has been tried before.

Sent from computer at work using FireFox.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm
Lets not go crazy, here.

It's not keeping politics out of the game, though, it's just setting up the league under Trumpian politics.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid the obvious political implications for purposes of this thread, but he's clearly shooting for the #MAGA audience with much of this. It will remain to be seen whether this will work in 2020.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The XFL Was a Flop, But It Made the NFL Better
That's the story in a nutsehll of the XFL, the professional football league dreamed up by professional wrestling mogul Vince McMahon that lasted for all of one season in the early aughts. It was style over substance, flair over football. And now, nearly two decades after it flopped, McMahon has announced the league's resurrection, promising a "family-friendly" version of football where players will stand for the national anthem.
His league is hardly going to challenge the NFL for American football supremacy, but it might help the NFL get better. After all, that's what the first iteration of the XFL did.

Don't believe it? When you're watching the opening kickoff of next Sunday's Super Bowl, take a moment to appreciate the camera angle being used. Nearly every kickoff, field goal, punt, and replay in every NFL game is shown via the so-called SkyCam, a camera suspended over the field on a set of wires, giving the audience a low-flying bird's eye view. In many ways it's a better perspective on the game than you get from the traditional sideline camera, and it gives the TV audience a better view of the players than what the fans sitting in the front row get.

And for that, you can thank McMahon. The SkyCam is probably the most longlasting contribution the former XFL made to the game of professional football, or at least to how we watch it. That camera angle is now a staple of NFL broadcasts. The league even used it as the main camera angle for one Thursday night game this season, to mixed reviews.

Even when a single entity dominates a marketplace like the NFL has dominated the market for American professional football for five decades—the NFL, which has a special exemption from federal antitrust laws, has become the epitome of a corporate monopoly—it must continuously evolve to stay on top. Often, those evolutions come from the absorption of ideas pioneered by smaller firms trying to gain a toehold in the market. Even failures, such as the XFL, provide fodder for improvement of other products. Creative destruction needs bad ideas as much as good ones.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what we really need:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 pm what we really need:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I actually watched about a quarter of that game. So, so bad.

My favorite part was the live mic on the coach...as he’s calling the plays.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
mori

Post by mori »

Not a gridiron fan but there are some improvements such as, speed up play and kicking rules. And I like the thought that no game should last longer than 2 hours. Goddamn that should be etched in stone in all American sport.
stessier

Post by stessier »

mori wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 pm Not a gridiron fan but there are some improvements such as, speed up play and kicking rules. And I like the thought that no game should last longer than 2 hours. Goddamn that should be etched in stone in all American sport.
I'm pretty sure the goal was for games to average about 2:45. So no game over 3 hours, not 2.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Not planning on following anything XFL but after wondering what was different about it, found this: What we loved, hated from the long-awaited XFL reboot
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC Sports
The XFL’s debut game drew 3.3 million viewers.

ABC announced that number today and added that the viewership peaked at the end of the broadcast, which is a good sign that the game kept fans interested.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm watching the Tampa Bay vs New York game on tape video delay. I've watched the first half and I'm liking it so far. I should note that I'm not much of an NFL fan, usually catching a couple of playoff games and the Superbowl, so I'm not necessarily an informed viewer, but I thought the quality of the plays were decent. I do like the new rules such as the 1-2-3 extra point options, the faster play clock and the way that punts are now penalized if you don't drop them into fair territory. I'll see how the second half goes.

My history with alternates to the NFL goes back to the World Football League. I remember I was watching when the PA announcer at a game came on to say that Nixon had just resigned. The fans in the stadium didn't seem to care much 8-)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Apparently our city is too small a market to warrant a local team, so no interest here.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:35 pm Apparently our city is too small a market to warrant a local team, so no interest here.
DFW got the practice squad.

You have three different rugby unions/leagues.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:35 pm Apparently our city is too small a market to warrant a local team, so no interest here.
DFW got the practice squad.

You have three different rugby unions/leagues.
We must be too small for rugby too because I'm not aware of such a sport in this area.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was semi surprised that the XTREME FOOBALL LEAGUE doesn't involve melee weapons. or at least more energy drink advertisements. i found a Seattle Dragons towel outside the other day - i guess i have a new bike chain rag.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 pm Chicago Lions

Chicago Griffins

Chicago Swans Australian football
So you're saying they can't afford a marketing budget...

Even our silly ass soccer team gets an occasional mention on the local news. The above? Never.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

XFL 2022

Scraper

Re: XFL 2020+

Post by Scraper »

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I mean I bet the Rock could punch himself really hard in the nuts and it wouldn't cost him a dime, but he shouldn't do it. Trying the XFL for the 3rd time will bring about similar results to the punch in the nuts, but it's going to cost a hell of a lot more in the end.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Bring back the beer snek.
Hodor.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Watched Vegas versus Arlington today. I've always enjoyed sport as theater, where there are stories, drama, comedy and tragedy. We had all that today.

And we also have an Orlando team out there, playing later tonight.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold