Help for my son

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Help for my son

Post by Xmann »

This will be long, so please hang in there with me.

I have a 15 year old freshman in high school son that me and the wife are worried about. Here is the background...

As parents, we are looking back and essentially did no favors in how we have raised Noah over the years. Noah is a smart and great kid who has always been very shy and self conscious. However, school has always been a struggle. Standardized testing since elementary shows he performs above average. However, Noah has never been one to do work and unfortunately we never gave him consequences for not.

We have moved several times the past 7-8 years and I'm honestly regretful we did. Noah has a hard time adjusting and all he wants is to be liked and popular.

6 years ago we left Colorado and went to Hawaii for a year because I had a great opportunity there. after moving back from Hawaii, Noah was thrilled to be back with his friends. however, a year later we moved to Florida. after being in Florida a year, we moved back to Colorado permanently. Noah has told a counselor he sees that the move from here back to Florida was traumatic.

This past summer was difficult on Noah. Somehow he developed a social anxiety or fear being outside of home. We had two major meltdowns just going to Wal Mart. We took him to his counselor and things got much better.

When Noah started high school in August, he was actually doing fine. He didn't have much stress and although he still wasn't motivated, we got him to do school. We encouraged him to go to school football games and events, but he said he didn't feel comfortable doing so and we didn't force him.

Fast forward to December. Noah did not finish his first semester in high school all that good. He got 2 D's, 2 C's, couple B's, and an A. Additionally, he started a relationship with a girl for the first time.

During the Christmas break, he was silly with this girl and everything was great. However, right before Christmas break ended, this thing with this girl stopped. Noah was very upset and broken hearted.

The past 4 weeks since school started back up, he has refused to do anything. He refuses to do school work. When I went to his counselor with him 2 weeks ago, he said there were essentially no consequences that would matter to him, and I believe it.

Noah has no motivation for school and anything else in his life. No interest in sports any longer. We could essentially take everything from him and he wouldn't care.

Additionally, the past 2 weeks he's made good friends with kids at school and he's hanging out with them alot. But still refuses school. His therapist encouraged us to not take his friends away because he worries that would send him over the edge.

2 weeks ago he started an antidepressant, but it hasn't kicked in yet.

We are lost and no nothing else we can do. We are afraid he's going to get in trouble or much worse.

Do we consider boarding school?

We literally don't know what to do.

We need help

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Rip

Re: Help for my son

Post by Rip »

I have a son almost just like that. If you figure it out let me know. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Don't have any advice for depression (other than lots of exercise), but I do know that 2 weeks is typically not enough time for an antidepressant to really kick in, as you mention. You may just need to wait a couple of more weeks, and hope that it helps.

Sorry to hear about this, but hopefully whatever he is taking will start working soon.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

yeah, I know it takes a few weeks for the antidepressants to start working. That's what we're hoping will kick in and give us some relief and help give him some motivation back. But in the meantime, we don't know what to do.

I think a lot of what is going on is that he never wanted to be out with people and friends and now literally all of a sudden he wants to do nothing but hang out with friends and do nothing else.

but we are also trusting his therapist because he said do not take his friends away from him. And we don't think that would be good either

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I lived in the same city from before kindergarten through high school graduation. My cousins lived in the same city for awhile, then my aunt flipped her house. Yeah, she was doing the house flipping thing decades before I heard the term. She did great, she was living in what could almost be described as a mansion in about 3 flips. She, being my mom's sister, always tried to get my mom to do it too. My mom always refused. I later asked my mom why she didn't do it, my aunt was fairly wealthy by that point. My mom explained that her number one priority was that me, my sister, and my brother didn't have to move and lose our friends.

What struck me about that was remembering how my youngest cousin faired- not good. One older cousin graduated high school soon after the first flip, so she wasn't affected so much. My youngest cousin though, he had all sorts of problems. For instance he was constantly in trouble for fighting. He was the new kid you see? He was also the 'poor' kid, because in every flip they would find themselves living in a more upscale community. So he was miserable all the time. He didn't graduate until years of this went by. He was always the outsider. Meanwhile I still have some of the friends I grew up with.

So I think instability is what this is all about. Your son has had zero stability in a crucial part of his life. This is not a judgment, just an acknowledgement of how it is. So I think this situation won't start to improve until he feels stable and trusts that he has something to build on. What good is going to school and doing the work, and making friends, if all that's going to happen is you're going to have the rug pulled out from under you?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I can say that when I was 15, I hated everything and was angst-y as all hell.

My family moved around a lot. I lived in my 'home town' in Maine until I was 7, when we moved somewhere else for a year, then we moved to Florida for 3.5 years, then back to Maine. We spent two years in that town and moved again.
Spoiler:

I never had permanent friends. I stopped trying after a while. I'd have a 'good friend' for a while in each place. Generally someone who was a complete outcast as well. Decent guys, though. Just not popular. That was okay because we still had fun exploring the local scenery, playing D&D, playing video games, etc.

I never dreamed of being popular. That crap never mattered to me. I wanted instead to be invisible and left alone by everyone. Always being "the new guy" with no roots, I was usually an easy target for people with an agenda. I wasn't bullied relentlessly, but I was picked on a lot. Girls thought I was gross. Some particularly cruel ones would send me love notes and then laugh at me when I foolishly thought it was true.

I dreamed of committing violence against my step-father who abused me, constantly put me down, and made me doubt myself. I detested him with every ounce of my being and he was the embodiment of everything I never wanted to be. I couldn't sit within 3 feet of him, or anywhere he'd been that still smelled like him.

Punishments never worked on me. He'd beat me for something and I'd cry and not care after an hour.
He'd lecture me for 4 hours about how worthless I was and I'd tune him out. He'd ground me for 2 weeks and I'd shrug, so he'd ground me for a month, and I'd shrug, so he'd ground me for 2 months, and I'd shrug.

When I was 15, I tinkered with fire, accidentally lighting a trash can in my bedroom on fire and getting caught. They took away my privacy and gave it back when I continued walking around my room naked, with the door open, for all the world to see. I didn't play with fire again, though.

When I was 16, they tested me for drugs. They assumed I was on drugs when I'd be standing still and start to tip over and brace myself against a wall - or I'd constantly bump and slam things. I only assume this was all because my body was undergoing huge changes - but my parents thought I was constantly high. I never was. I never, ever, did drugs.

I used to swear that when I turned 18, I'd simply kill myself. I didn't believe there was any point in entering the workforce, getting a real life, or doing anything else. I wore black all the time. Black combat boots, black jeans, black denim jackets, black t-shirts. I fancied myself a lone wolf. People stayed out of my way. Girls stopped mocking on me, jocks stopped picking on me. I was alone in my head most of the time.

My mother sent me to Al-Anon, a program for the children of drug abusers and drunks. While I was there, I completely rejected their spiritual crap and discovered that I was my higher power. I never believed in god, but I did believe in myself. I didn't need to confide in my teddy-bear or pray at the foot of my bed. I just had to look inward and find my strength. It seemed natural.

The world changed when I was 16 and got my first girlfriend - one of the girls at Al-Anon. We lasted a staggering 3.5 weeks before she creeped me out by telling me she loved me. I didn't know what to do with that and ran away from her. My reward for that relationship, though, is a life-long case of Herpes Simplex that erupt when I'm stressed out. I thought I was better than a disease and couldn't catch it.

I got into the Drama club as a stage-hand that year, working with a group of other outcasts like me. They accepted me and seemed to like me - and I liked them. I never, ever, wanted to be in a play - but it was pretty cool to work with them and help set it all up. This was a huge point for me - I felt good with these people, and actually ended up with a small group of consistent friends.

I spent as much time as I could out of the house with any friend I had. I spent a lot of time seeing how their families worked and wishing mine did too.

I had a couple more girlfriends in high school, and we all messed each other up about equally. One cheated on me, one asked me if she could cheat on me, and I skipped out on a couple because I just didn't see it working. It always seemed like the entire world, everything, was wrapped up in that.

The trick was always just being myself, but I never really knew who that was. It was always rough, and it always hurt, but I always survived.

I coasted in my last year of high school. I still didn't care about anything, slept through my classes, and passed with minimal effort. I wish I hadn't. I could have done better for myself if I had tried.

My parents never took me to a real therapist, and I was never medicated. I often wonder if things could have turned out better for me if I was. Being in a dark place all damn the time sucked. I thought that darkness was simply who I was. It defined me.

When I graduated, all that bullshit associated with High School and everything about it melted away like weight being lifted from my shoulders. One day I was hating life, working part time, and paying the rent at my parent's house. The next day I was free, working part time, and paying the rent at my parent's house. Magical.

I moved out of my home when I was 17 and in with friends that needed a roomie. It was liberating and I was happy.

I don't know if I can help with your son. I can say, though, that as long as your kid knows you care, they should be able to pull through. I don't know if my parents were always afraid for my future, or if they ever gave a damn.

I think I turned out okay. I look back on that time and wish I had done things differently, but it is what it is. I grew up. I went to college. I got a few good jobs. Now I'm married with a house, a wife, and a couple of kids. I'd never have seen that in myself 25 years ago - when I hated the world and wanted to cease existing. Never in a million years.
If it helps, I'm okay with you sharing this with your son. There's always another day, and another. "One Day At A Time" is about the only sane thing I still keep with me from Al-Anon. Things do get better. I wish I felt like my parents cared.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

if you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a professional assessment ASAP, i.e. contact his pediatrician and get a referral to a professional psychotherapist.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Why were there never consequences for not doing schoolwork to begin with?
Hodor.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

For the first, I firmly believe that you need to put boarding school right off the table. Sending him away from family and friends is not going to help. And when he continues to refuse there, they will just punish him more and more severely, reinforcing his negative view. Depression, social anxiety and withdrawal cannot be cured via punishment.

You as parents probably feel lost and helpless, you cant reach inside his brain and flip the lever that changes him to happy. This isn't like a scratched knee or tummy ache. I've seen this in various degrees in the folks I love, and its incredibly difficult. The anti depressents and counseling will help, but ultimately that change needs to come from within himself. But fortunately, there are things you can do, things that will help.

Tell him that you love him, that you care for him, and that he is important. He is a teenager, so thats probably going to be met with meh, eyerolling, or worse. You just ignore that, and keep right on telling him. The part of him you are trying to reach is not the part that controls the eye rolling. You are trying to reach deep inside to his emotional center. That part of him feels lost and alone and unloved, so you will need to keep repeating yourself over and over, every day, until the message finally sinks in.

Start talking aloud about the things you do, the things you love, about why you do them and why you love them. Even if it sounds inconsequential, trivial, or silly. You don't need to say them directly to him, but you need to say them so he hears them. And you should also do that with things you don't like as well. It sounds cheesy, but you got to be serious.
You can't force him to start liking things again, so you have to do the next best thing, which is talk about your own likes and dislikes. And you have to include the why, not just the what. By reminding him about why you like or don't like certain things, it will trigger him to reflect on why he likes or doesn't like certain things, even if he doesn't join the conversation, his brain will have remembered why, and eventually he will begin acting on those remembrances again. Trying to include him by asking what he likes or doesn't like will probably trigger withdrawal or hostility, so just say it back and forth to each other, and eventually when he is ready, he'll offer up his own opinion.

Examples:
"I really like watching the superbowl, Watching the best players in the world gives me a thrill. And I like how you can eat as much junk food as you like, and its perfectly OK just for one day."
"I'm going to work now. Its not always fun, but they pay me, and its important to me to earn enough money so my family can be secure and happy."
"This is my favorite show. The characters are a little silly, but that makes me feel smart, and I like that"
"I love jogging. Even though it makes me tired, it gives me some alone time, and I like to feel like I am doing something healthy"
"Ugg, Julie Roberts. Her mouth is so big I think she might actually be an alien, and that freaks me out."

Its going to be difficult to coax activities out of him. If you try and get his opinion on what to do, you won't get it. "Noah, you want to play video games? Any game you want!" "..." So instead, do some activities and include him. It won't always work, but the act of attempting to include him is whats going to eventually reach down to that emotional center and remind him through actions (not just words like above) that you care for him, and that he is important.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Home schooling worked for my kids. YMMV.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

My input:

Boarding school - I would say no. The important hting here is stability and he needs the familiar. Boarding school creates its own instability. With the seniors moving off to the nether and you never see em again. If you start as a freshman that is. I went to a boarding school and I am in my mid 40s and i've had 2 contacts with a couple of them in the last 20 years. They just were never part of my life after boarding school, and it sucks because initially i missed them terribly. But time and distance unravels those bonds. Boarding school is fun, and was a blast and a helluva experience. But i really have no friends now from my high school years. I've also not tried.

However, I would be interested in hearing your reasonings as to why you would want this.

I would do as much as possible to create stability for him. Maybe promise you wont move from there in the next 5 years or whatever. Not sure what else to add.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Holman

Post by Holman »

All I can add is that, yes, two weeks isn't really enough for the antidepressants to have an effect. It's also possible that a higher dose will be needed.

Also, there are different kinds of antidepressants with different fundamental chemical actions--what works for some people doesn't for others, and vice-versa.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 pm yeah, I know it takes a few weeks for the antidepressants to start working. That's what we're hoping will kick in and give us some relief and help give him some motivation back. But in the meantime, we don't know what to do.

I think a lot of what is going on is that he never wanted to be out with people and friends and now literally all of a sudden he wants to do nothing but hang out with friends and do nothing else.

but we are also trusting his therapist because he said do not take his friends away from him. And we don't think that would be good either

Second time you've mentioned "taking friends away" from him. Is he getting into trouble, or seem like a bad crowd he's hanging out with? Have you already threatened something to that effect?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

so my wife just call me in a little bit of a panic. She decide to go through his room and she has found some drugs that she doesn't know what it is. She thinks it might be Molly. Now we really are in emergency mode and don't know what to do.

I do know for a fact that drugs are rampant in his school. We live in a middle to upper-class community and these rich kids get everything that they want.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I don't have answers for you, just empathy. He's seeing a therapist and on an anti-depressant -- those are important, positive steps. You're doing the right thing.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Take it one step at a time. First are they? Ask him if they are. If they are, then talk to him openly about it. The good news is he's alive and you can still reach him. As simple as this is.... he wont change unless he wants to. Find the carrot and work from there.
Bayraktar!!!!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

15 is a little young for recreational drugs, but not outside the normal range. He's probably unconsciously trying to self-medicate. The good news is that it's unlikely that he's been using them long enough to develop a dependency, or to fall into that social circle.

If you can, try to be matter-of-fact about it and not freak right out. Find out what he's using, and for how long, and in what circumstances. Molly would be less alarming than opioids, for instance, but would certainly complicate the antidepressant regimen. Chances are good that he's just dabbling and can be gently turned aside from that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry X but I cant help you here. I have no kids and I could relate my own stupid acting and feeling teenage years but we've all had them in some form and we are all different so thats no help. So instead of bad advice Ill wish you and your wife and son the best in this and hope you find your answers quickly and completely. God bless you man.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The drugs are a problem at 15, a big problem. If it were weed not so much, but drugs can easily kill him with the wrong people. I would absolutely get a second opinion on his condition from a psychiatrist (make sure it's a board certified psychiatrist, even better if he/she specializes in teens). And then I'd decide what to do. If you call a clinic be sure to tell them about the drugs and that you are really really concerned about your child.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The drugs are a problem at 15, a big problem. If it were weed not so much, but drugs can easily kill him with the wrong people. I would absolutely get a second opinion on his condition from a psychiatrist (make sure it's a board certified psychiatrist, even better if he/she specializes in teens). And then I'd decide what to do. If you call a clinic be sure to tell them about the drugs and that you are really really concerned about your child.

In my opinion he should not be with people who are giving him drugs, no matter how much he likes those people.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:50 pm so my wife just call me in a little bit of a panic. She decide to go through his room and she has found some drugs that she doesn't know what it is. She thinks it might be Molly. Now we really are in emergency mode and don't know what to do.

I do know for a fact that drugs are rampant in his school. We live in a middle to upper-class community and these rich kids get everything that they want.

Again, if you're working with a psychotherapist or psychiatrist, they ought to be able to offer advice and guidance in terms of dealing with possible substance abuse, depression, clinical anxiety or other factors affecting your son's performance and outlook.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

ok, I've been home and accessed the situation and had a talk with my son.

i confronted him with the paraphernalia. what we found was some aluminum and a writing pen that was hollowed out. there was something brown inside the pen.

Noah said he has been using that for weed and he showed me how he was using it. he takes a water bottle and cuts a hole in the side. he uses the aluminum to seal the top. he took the pen and ran it though an apple for some reason. the brown in the pen is old apple.

i had an open talk with him and essentially he has no desire for anything, other than seeing his friends and listening to music. doesn't seem to care about anything else.

what he told me was this girl has him really screwed up. it's the first girl he has liked and she broke his heart. not only that, but he sees her in class at school and he's still pursuing her. but this girl is dragging him along and it's basically torture.

this all makes sense with the timeline. he had a change in behavior at Christmas, when this happened with this girl.

we have a county support program for kids who are in trouble in school and with substance abuse problems. my wife and I will be there first thing in the morning to talk with them.

I'm calling his therapist tomorrow morning too.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The first time a girl broke my heart my dad sort of mocked me but then assured me I'd get over it. At the time, I wasn't so sure, but I certainly moped a lot.

And I'm still pissed that the cops confiscated my purple bong at the first kegger I hosted (age - 16)

Moving around a lot does cause issues. A former girlfriend was an army brat, and she'd get squirrelly if she was in the same place more than 2 years. Unfortunately for us, that hit about 3 months into our relationship. Around that time she was accused of plagiarizing a college term paper about psychological child abuse. I told her to tell the teacher I certainly did NOT plagiarize it, but wrote it based on what I learned over the months dating her! :P (yeah, I wrote the paper for her, and about her!)

I have a good decade before I need to face that from a parental standpoint, but it seems that keeping communication open is a good thing. On one hand, if weed is the worst he's doing, then it's not so bad. The symptoms seem to be about right -- laziness and desire for nothing but music. And, perhaps. Cheetos.

I hear Colorado has some awesome places to hike. My unqualified self might suggest that as therapy.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Not sure how much you know about pot or drugs, so sorry if i come across as overbearing....OK so that is some very rookie level drug paraphernalia by the description you gave me. It kind of sounds like a makeshift apple pipe. I am not sure what he's using as a bowl actually here. What we use to do was use old water bottles with a aluminum stem and bowl, and make a water bong with it. Water bongs hit harder than pipes, the apple pipes dont hit as hard.

So if you want to keep track of his drug use, for starters look for lighters. Now, if you find one, check to see if one of the bottom corners has a black sticky stain on it. If you see a parade of lighters with that stuff on it, then he's into it on a very regular basis.

Also, I'd also be on the look out for pipes and long alumuminum tubes (Stems) with a small bowl on it. Pot leaves a sticky, black residue. If there is a lot in there, like chock full then you have a problem. If you can still see a lot of the aluminum tubes color then chances are he's not used it a lot.

He's also probably going to be on the lookout for a better stash spot since you tossed his room. I'd think like him and think where he might stash something.

The overall good news, it doesn't sound as if he's that far into it.
Bayraktar!!!!

KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Like always, everyone has great advice (with a nod to Jaymon). Outdoor activities is such a smart suggestion. I did a lot of hiking in my teens, really helped with my mental states. Acting calmly, cool, and with love is the best thing you both can do. An open communication is something I never had until I was an adult with my parents. He is talking to you two, that is huge!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Newcastle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 pm He's also probably going to be on the lookout for a better stash spot since you tossed his room. I'd think like him and think where he might stash something.
He lives in Colorado. He can just go to the weed store and get some more, no need to maintain a stash that might be subject to confiscation.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I would just note that if your son is suffering from chemical depression and/or anxiety - walking through nature isn’t going to help.

You need local, hands on professional help. We can offer moral support (especially any of us that have teenaged sons going through things), but you need real help. Now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Anonymous Bosch

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm
Newcastle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 pm He's also probably going to be on the lookout for a better stash spot since you tossed his room. I'd think like him and think where he might stash something.
He lives in Colorado. He can just go to the weed store and get some more, no need to maintain a stash that might be subject to confiscation.
He's gotta be 21 years of age or older with government-issued identification to prove it to purchase cannabis legally in CO. Otherwise, he's likely stuck with the schwag his friends-of-low-moral-fiber provide.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Newcastle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 pm Not sure how much you know about pot or drugs, so sorry if i come across as overbearing....OK so that is some very rookie level drug paraphernalia by the description you gave me. It kind of sounds like a makeshift apple pipe. I am not sure what he's using as a bowl actually here. What we use to do was use old water bottles with a aluminum stem and bowl, and make a water bong with it. Water bongs hit harder than pipes, the apple pipes dont hit as hard.
Yeah, but the apples impart a nice mellow flavor. I'm amused to learn that teens still do that.

15 is too young to condone cannabis use; it's not a good idea while one's brain is still developing. Ideally he'll lay off until he's 18. But I started smoking when I was 16, got busted when I was 17, and neither my parents nor the local constabulary persuaded me to quit. 'Course, back then it was a defiant, defining counterculture thing, whereas today it's quite mainstream, so the social cues are all different. Anyway, it's not optimal, but not a huge crisis if he just enjoys a little weed now and then.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shit, Kraken, back then my high school had a student smoking section (several, actually). Damn near everyone in the school (~2500) smoked. Very few smoked cigarettes. Weed was just more available and you never needed to present an ID.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

thank you for everyone's concern.

I would take him hiking or something outdoors in a minute. However, he hates hiking. We do lots of camping and it's like pulling teeth to get him to go.

I'm relieved in a sense that it's just weed, but I'm still unhappy he's using.

We are going to his therapist tomorrow morning.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm ok, I've been home and accessed the situation and had a talk with my son.

i confronted him with the paraphernalia. what we found was some aluminum and a writing pen that was hollowed out. there was something brown inside the pen.

Noah said he has been using that for weed and he showed me how he was using it. he takes a water bottle and cuts a hole in the side. he uses the aluminum to seal the top. he took the pen and ran it though an apple for some reason. the brown in the pen is old apple.

i had an open talk with him and essentially he has no desire for anything, other than seeing his friends and listening to music. doesn't seem to care about anything else.

what he told me was this girl has him really screwed up. it's the first girl he has liked and she broke his heart. not only that, but he sees her in class at school and he's still pursuing her. but this girl is dragging him along and it's basically torture.

this all makes sense with the timeline. he had a change in behavior at Christmas, when this happened with this girl.

we have a county support program for kids who are in trouble in school and with substance abuse problems. my wife and I will be there first thing in the morning to talk with them.

I'm calling his therapist tomorrow morning too.

He's talking to you. That's great. Don't fuck it up by not trusting him and going through his stuff again. Talk to him about the weed and if he thinks it's appropriate for him. Try to come to a resolution that you are both comfortable with. Let him know that you don't condone it. If you punish him let him be part of the process for it. Talk to him whenever you can. Try to find something to do with him (video games, basketball, etc). It sounds like right now he needs a friend to talk to as much as he needs a father. You can be both but not at the same time.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I also want to add that this is very hard on me as a father because I lost mine when I was in my 20's. I know I've overcompensated over the years, to a fault.

really tough right now..

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's good that you noticed and are talking. He is self medicating but there are reasons for it -- moving, consequences, girl, depression. Keep him talking, let him know you want to help, include him in the process, and ask him what he wants to do (or you to do) to help his life.

It's not going to be immediately fixable but if can make a start now, it will get easier later.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My nephew went through that. He graduated high school and joined the Air Force and he seems happy.

Does your boy have an outlet? Josh's Stepfather let him build his own forge and he started making jewelry by mixing various metals and minerals together and it became a passionate hobby for him. He never did get his secondary school on track but he graduated his enlistment class in the top 2%, so I think he'll be OK.

I'm not sure what he'll do about anxiety and being part of something. Maybe the military will fix that. Nothing worked fro me until I got to college and became a communications minor in effort to get over it. That worked for a long time but eventually the energy required to stay "over it" was too much. Now I'm seeing a shrink. So far the best thing for me at 47 is Effexor. But the best is far from good. I also carry Zanax with me in case I feel like I'm going to freak out. I've only ever had one actual panic attack but it sucked and sucked really bad. It was just anxiety, which I have experienced my whole life, but I felt completely out of my own control. I think and hope it was just a very bad reaction to wellbutrin.

Anyhoo, I feel for anyone going through what your boy is going through. I have no help to give other he ought to know he's not alone.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 am I also want to add that this is very hard on me as a father because I lost mine when I was in my 20's. I know I've overcompensated over the years, to a fault.

really tough right now..

I'll pile on and say it's great that he's even talking (with you!). You mentioned overcompensating (coddling? what?), but I have found, especially with my teen, that talking to them like a peer/adult has tremendous effect sometimes. I always try to do that, but as you know I'm sure, it's harder than it sounds. Just a thought to keep front and center...especially if you have maybe babied him a little due to your own experiences.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:09 pm I would just note that if your son is suffering from chemical depression and/or anxiety - walking through nature isn’t going to help.
Just to jump in on this point, there's been dozens of studies that demonstrate a likely connection between exercise and lowering a risk of clinical depression. While it's not the only route I would want to take in this situation, I don't think it's unreasonable to include it as part of trying to help. One of the most famous studies I'm aware of covered the idea of "forest bathing" in Japan - sourced here. Above and beyond exercise, this study focused on the idea that exercising in a wooded environment had additional benefits. Again, part of the puzzle, not the only offered advice. It's not as kooky as you might think. :D

On to the topic at hand, I don't have much to add other than support for so many of the ideas already shared. I think it's likely going to be a multi-pronged approach and that professional help is probably also necessary. By showing support, interest and a genuine desire to help, I think you and your wife are likely on the right path.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:48 pm Shit, Kraken, back then my high school had a student smoking section (several, actually). Damn near everyone in the school (~2500) smoked. Very few smoked cigarettes. Weed was just more available and you never needed to present an ID.
This is basically how I went thru high school. Pretty much wasted my junior and senior years, although we never did it at school and it was pretty much an evening thing. Same with the booze, drinking on the weekends unless there was a concert.

And I would imagine weed is probably everywhere at his high school. Take his friends away and he will find others with weed. And I wouldn't panic over just weed. Pills yea, weed not so much.

When my girls were in high school, in the marching band, we knew a family that would kinda house many of them over some weekends. No drugs or nothing, just kids being kids. Years later when we became better friends I asked them why they would want all those kids in their house. Their answer was (a) they always knew where their kids were, they were home and (b) several kids had problems at home, alcoholic parents or divorced parents and they needed a place to get away from it. I had never thought of that.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am
Xmann wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 am I also want to add that this is very hard on me as a father because I lost mine when I was in my 20's. I know I've overcompensated over the years, to a fault.

really tough right now..

I'll pile on and say it's great that he's even talking (with you!). You mentioned overcompensating (coddling? what?), but I have found, especially with my teen, that talking to them like a peer/adult has tremendous effect sometimes. I always try to do that, but as you know I'm sure, it's harder than it sounds. Just a thought to keep front and center...especially if you have maybe babied him a little due to your own experiences.
I always got better results from my kids by staying calm with them and talking to them rationally. The angry loud parent in me had to learn that over time. Being loud and angry never works.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, it's great that he is willing to talk to you.

I wish I had a fund of advice here. My boys are 13 and 11, and it's so-far-so-good, but I know the upcoming years will be the hardest.

I concur with the consensus that a little weed isn't a catastrophe. I'd rather know that my kid was using pot very occasionally than fear that he was doing something worse and/or more often.

I know parents who basically give their kids open permission for light usage on the understanding that they will be held responsible for their behaviors and their outcomes at school and socially. It seems to work out, but I suppose it depends on many factors.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.