Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

My lifestyle experiment

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: My lifestyle experiment

Post by FishPants » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am

Weird that I just came across this thread now, but I've enjoyed a few of the videos that I've watched.

Question, how do you navigate somewhere like Baja with your life in that van and not have your life stolen from under you when you're out doing things? That would really be my only hesitation is that you appear to be driving a giant "ROB ME!" billboard.

I've been getting itchy feet, and I'm pushing my wife that once she's done with some medical stuff after her cancer fight -- it's time to start travelling to places we won't be able to go when we're retired (Thailand, Cambodia, India, Vietnam, Africa (That's her pick, I have little interest), Colombia etc).

Time will ultimately tell, but I've been reading a lot of solo-travel blogs/reddits to get ideas on where to go on the path less travelled. I've had enough Marriotts in my life, we're looking to get past the tourism wall and see a bit more of the world. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I truly hope to use the Nomad list once my youngest daughter is safely in University. (https://nomadlist.com/).
No.

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 am

FishPants wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am
Thanks for sharing your experience, and I truly hope to use the Nomad list once my youngest daughter is safely in University. (https://nomadlist.com/).
Interesting link, thanks.
webuildthewall.us

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 am

soup wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm
Im sure you know to fly for pay you need the FAA 107 cert. Its not a hard test, but you should do it.
I'm aware of the 107 requirement to get licensed before I make a dime from my drone, or even use it as promotional material in a business. Right now I'm just excited to fly. I'm not trying to get paid. Yet. I've read that the 107 is $150 to take each time, has to be renewed every 3 years, and takes maybe 20 hours of study time for someone who hasn't had any experience with the materials. I'm planning to take a prep course before I do that to increase my chances of success.

I appreciate the info! I wish I was doing what you're doing.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am

FishPants wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am

I've been getting itchy feet, and I'm pushing my wife that once she's done with some medical stuff after her cancer fight -- it's time to start travelling to places we won't be able to go when we're retired (Thailand, Cambodia, India, Vietnam, Africa (That's her pick, I have little interest), Colombia etc).
Heh, some of those places are precisely where you SHOULD go when retired. Colombia, for example, is an excellent destination for medical tourism and there are all sorts of ex-pat communities all over Asia.

Matrix

Post by Matrix » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm

I just did 5 month trip. Longest I ever done, gave my digital agency about 8 month heads up on my leave and took off to travel. My longest trip prioir to that was 2 weeks, and prior to it all my vacation was week plus weekends. Some parts I traveled with friends, some solo. Countries that I visited are Marroco (7 cites plus stay in Sahara desert,, Lebanon, Tanzania (Safari and Zanzibar , plus Dar especially Salam). Vietnam (north and south), Thailand , Philippines, Indonesia. Most places I spent 3 weeks to a month. If anyone interested in details , I will post more detailed write up. But it was quiet eye opening and amazing to just start traveling. I practically didn't work at the time, which makes first time in my life where I didn't work since HS. Lots of take a ways from the trip.