Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

[Movie] Antman and the Wasp

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Re: [Movie] Antman and the Wasp

Post by hepcat »

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't like Paul Rudd? The guy is just so damn likeable.

Looking forward to this one. Although I hope it has more to it than just constant scenes of things shrinking or growing.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

[Movie] Antman and the Wasp

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m not a fan of Rudd.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You also thought Mr. Rogers was "shifty" and that Big Bird is hiding a dark past.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This is scheduled for release 7/6/18, FWIW.

Ant-Man was one of the massively pleasant surprises in the MCU. Rudd was great, but Michael Pena stole the show, and I'm super glad he's back.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rudd and Pena are those rare actors who can do drama and comedy equally well.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Looks great!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I enjoyed the first Ant Man. It isn't like the other Marvels movies, a little more humor (well until Thor Ragnorok), a little lighter, at least until the end.

And this movie looks fun.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I pretty much love Rudd in everything, particularly the indie, quirky comedies he has done that most people have never heard of. I am one of those people who will absolutely put up with an overall terrible film (comedy only), if one of the actors is great, or has a great script. Rudd has been in oodles of those. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if this will be suitable for an 8.5 YO. My daughter likes the Wasp.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

9 maybe, 8 no way...but 8.5? That's a tough question.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:33 pm I wonder if this will be suitable for an 8.5 YO. My daughter likes the Wasp.
Unless they go the route of the other Marvels movies and use a little "foul" language you are probably safe. No real blood and the violence doesn't reflect as much "reality" as some other marvels movies. Plus the hero has a little girl she can relate to.
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Looking forward to this one. Although I hope it has more to it than just constant scenes of things shrinking or growing.
Isn't that like every romantic comedy?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rudd's a huge Kansas City Royals fan so he's OK in my book.

I enjoyed Ant Man far more than I expected. I'm sold on the MCU and see all the movies so this one will be on our list this summer.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Looks awesome! Really enjoyed the first one, and I thought the cast had great chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm Is there anyone in the world who doesn't like Paul Rudd? The guy is just so damn likeable.

It's like you know exactly how to push my buttons. How do we get along at all?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mortis, you’re 90 percent buttons, 10 percent water. It’s nigh impossible not to. :P
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:01 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Isn't that like every romantic comedy?
Was that too subtle? I thought that was quite amusing. Then again, I work with kids...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And you regale them with phallus metaphors!?!?
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 pm And you regale them with phallus metaphors!?!?
:roll:
More likely the reverse. In this case, seeing an opportunity for juvenile humor but presenting it to you wrapped in a more intellectual aesthetic for your (possible) enjoyment. Clearly a miss, though I hardly anticipated any of this would generate negative assumptions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa there, I was making a joke. No negative assumptions whatsoever on my part.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Cool beans. With neither vocal inflections nor leering emojis the interpretation of your post was left as an exercise for the Reader.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm betting this scene doesn't show up in the movie.
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hey, it’s the film-specific thread!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some of the better / best fun fight scenes in MCU, IMHO, so far. Very... imaginative use of shrinking / expanding powers.

I think this is fine for kids, but then, I don't have any, so I wouldn't really know. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree - it is a fun movie. It has good drama breaks injected with the right level of comedy. The human elements struck the right chord and all the performances were very strong. I also warmed up to Rudd in this role. I didn't think he fit well in the first movie but this time it worked IMO.

The only downside was:
Spoiler:
My wife did *not* like the after credit scene. I agreed with her that it was a huge tonal shift.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the first half-hour or so was incredibly tedious, but it started to come together after that, finally making a decent 'comic booky' movie. i still haven't seen the first Ant Man.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Question for those who know... are there any Infinity Wars spoilers in this film? We've yet to see Infinity Wars (I know, I know... waiting on blu-ray at this point) but might see this in theaters if it's spoiler free.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daveman wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 am Question for those who know... are there any Infinity Wars spoilers in this film? We've yet to see Infinity Wars (I know, I know... waiting on blu-ray at this point) but might see this in theaters if it's spoiler free.
Not the film, but the end credits do. Kinda Sorta.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

More of a tie-in, rather than a spoiler. You won't get it unless you've seen Infinity War. But if you seen both, then you'll go OMG! So what's what... OMG OMG...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 pm More of a tie-in, rather than a spoiler. You won't get it unless you've seen Infinity War. But if you seen both, then you'll go OMG! So what's what... OMG OMG...
Spoiler:
I thought it was a fun tie in, but as soon as Scott started saying "Hello? Time to go!", I knew what was up and was like "ohhhh, placing it in the time line. Nice." Then they showed the ashes and everyone in the theater literally gasped (it was a 1/2 full IMAX, so that's a lot of people). I was kind of surprised by their surprise.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:11 am the first half-hour or so was incredibly tedious, but it started to come together after that, finally making a decent 'comic booky' movie. i still haven't seen the first Ant Man.
The first Ant-Man was a hugely pleasant surprise. Joe Bob says check it out!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I saw this over the weekend. Like the first Ant-Man, it's a well-made, pleasant diversion for a couple of hours, but not a Marvel must-see.

That said, I found it especially refreshing coming on the heels of Infinity War. It's nice to be reminded that Marvel stories don't always have to be about saving the universe from an existential threat.

Things I liked:
  • Ghost was good villain -- complex motivations, weird power set.
  • I love that Scott has a loving family (kid+dad+mom+stepdad). Families of divorce are normal these days, but they're rarely portrayed this positively.
  • Luis's verbal-diarrhea monologue was hilarious. Clearly inspired by Drunk History, in the best way.
Things I liked less:
  • The chemistry between Scott and Hope is... fine? There's almost no screen time given to their relationship, so it feels static.
  • Michael Douglas is... fine? He's not bad in any way, but I would expect a more lived-in, natural performance from such an experienced actor.
  • Some of the characters' decision-making seems out-of-character and artificial -- decisions that are important to drive the plot forward, but out-of-sync with their ethics and beliefs. A failure in the script-writing process, I think.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am
Daveman wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 am Question for those who know... are there any Infinity Wars spoilers in this film? We've yet to see Infinity Wars (I know, I know... waiting on blu-ray at this point) but might see this in theaters if it's spoiler free.
Not the film, but the end credits do. Kinda Sorta.
I would say that the mid-credit scene contains a fairly big spoiler connected to the Infinity War ending. If you haven't seen Infinity War, and you also don't know much about how the story goes in the comics, then I would avoid it. But the good news on that is that the movie itself really contains no spoilers of any kind for Infinity War, so you have the option of seeing the movie and just leaving when the credits start.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 pm More of a tie-in, rather than a spoiler. You won't get it unless you've seen Infinity War. But if you seen both, then you'll go OMG! So what's what... OMG OMG...
Spoiler:
I thought it was a fun tie in, but as soon as Scott started saying "Hello? Time to go!", I knew what was up and was like "ohhhh, placing it in the time line. Nice." Then they showed the ashes and everyone in the theater literally gasped (it was a 1/2 full IMAX, so that's a lot of people). I was kind of surprised by their surprise.
Spoiler:
The other potential significance of it is that use of the "quantum realm" is one of the theories for how the snap ultimately gets undone and Thanos defeated. If Scott is trapped in the quantum realm, he may be able to "exit" it at a different point in time, or otherwise use it as a potential time-traveling mechanism.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I saw it over the weekend, and pretty thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny and sweet in places (his daughter is adorable, and Scott's interactions with her gave me a bit of the feels). Well paced. The villains all have fairly understandable motivations.
Black Lives Matter.
DD*

Post by DD* »

The boy and I saw it over the weekend as well. Very good, funny, light-hearted, all in all a good follow-up to both the first Ant-Man and Avengers. And quite the... scene... at the end.

Also, Michael Pena and the other side-kicks are absolutely brilliant!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We watched this yesterday and liked it quite a bit. The security team stole the show in the few minutes they had. :lol: There were a few moments where it just felt like the jokes totally fell flat. It was weird it was like they dropped out of the movie and just made a comment and then back into the movie. Hard to explain, but it wasn't a big deal just something I noticed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I caught it last night. I liked it well enough. She's not a fan of Michael Douglas's work these days, so she didn't enjoy it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm Wife and I caught it last night. I liked it well enough. She's not a fan of Michael Douglas's work these days, so she didn't enjoy it.
I thought it had too much Douglas and not enough Antman. And don't get me started on the quantum level.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter