AMC tv ...The Terror

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

AMC tv ...The Terror

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Re: AMC tv ...The Terror

Post by Jeff V »

I read the Dan Simmons book not too long ago. I'm in.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Looking forward to it. I enjoyed the book although it got a bit dry in parts. This could be one of the instances where I enjoy the movie more.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is it a move or a tv show? Looks good, either way.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Miniseries from what I hear. Been looking forward to this ever since I read the book and heard they were working on this :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Same. The book was incredible. Dan Simmons is one of those rare breed of writers who can cross genres effortlessly.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

March 26th, since nobody posts the important info
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am Same. The book was incredible. Dan Simmons is one of those rare breed of writers who can cross genres effortlessly.
Yeah, The Terror was my first from him. Some authors just have an impeccable sense of both history and style. This seemed to be well-researched and was at the same time enough of its own thing. Awhile back I had had The Fifth Heart on my list and ended up seeing it as a bargain book for $8 at the store, which made it a no-brainer.

Ironically, I feel that with Hell on Wheels, Turn, and now this, AMC has become what the History channel should have been all along.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Terror was my introduction to Dan Simmons. I went straight to Hyperion and couldn't believe I had never heard of this man before. I think I've read nine of his books so far. One of my favorite authors. His stuff is always so out there.

This looks great and I really enjoy Cirian Hinds. Sign me up.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, anyone watching? I'm up to episode 3 now, and so far it's been excellent. What this show does really well is show us the bleak unrelentlessness of the landscape. Like, holy shit, these people are in over their heads!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

If you liked this book, here's something non-fictional that's an order of magnitude more terrifying:

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm So, anyone watching? I'm up to episode 3 now, and so far it's been excellent. What this show does really well is show us the bleak unrelentlessness of the landscape. Like, holy shit, these people are in over their heads!
I love it, it has been an excellent adaptation. My wife who was reluctant to watch it loves it also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

If you liked this book, here's something non-fictional that's an order of magnitude more terrifying:

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
Well, I know what I'm reading next.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not normally into historical pieces, but I've been enjoying this so far. I think I've watched the first three or four (the first was a double?).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We got off to a false start. The first episode recorded right after TWD, and we watched that, but I hadn't set up the DVR to capture the next night's official premier, which combined E1 and E2. They are available at amc.com, but only as a combined E1&2 file, so I skipped to the halfway point and watched E2. Wife has not had time to do that yet. Meanwhile, the DVR has dutifully recorded the next two episodes.

I like what I've seen and want to keep going, but Wife has to go back to E2 first.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 pm I'm not normally into historical pieces, but I've been enjoying this so far. I think I've watched the first three or four (the first was a double?).
The book falls into the "horror" category.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, there's just as much history to it as there are invented parts. It's only with the 3rd episode that it really delves into the horror part and diverges. Other than that, it's very well researched and gives all the facts that we know about what happened. I'd venture to call it historical horror.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Read the book I referred to above. That is a real historical account of a survey ship locked in ice for years.
Spoiler:
Among the few survivors was Herman Melville's brother

When I read that book, I searched for decent Arctic maps on the internet but even Google doesn't bother to name most of the islands. An archipelago was named after the captain and ship...named by Russians no less.
Black Lives Matter
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

The Wife and I both read the book quite a while ago and
this is really good. We are watching it weekly.
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 pm Read the book I referred to above. That is a real historical account of a survey ship locked in ice for years.

You make it sound like the Franklin Expedition wasn't real. There is a lot of historical truth in this series, based on facts and figures, plus the two ships having been recently found. The only parts that aren't real are the monster parts.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposedly.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've read some of this guy's stuff but not The Terror. I've been watching the show and give it an A+.

It's slow, not a lot 'happens' but it's fantastic in a storytelling sense. It gives me the same feeling I get when I read a story I like, I relate to the characters and can't stop turning the pages. In the case of the show it's almost hypnotic and time flies by when I'm watching.

In lesser hands this could easily have been one of those shows where the characters, especially the supporting ones, all blend together. In this show they are all well drawn and individually distinct. I understand their motives and actions even if I don't agree with all of them.

The story developments are great because I feel oppressed by the setting and then even more constricted as things start to develop. I also like how the flashbacks are interesting because they contain relevant and compelling elements. It's not just a cheap way to make the story feel like it's larger in scale than just one location.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 pm In lesser hands this could easily have been one of those shows where the characters, especially the supporting ones, all blend together. In this show they are all well drawn and individually distinct. I understand their motives and actions even if I don't agree with all of them.
Yeah, I suspect a lot of that is due to the research put into the Franklin Expedition. Most of the people we see in the show were real people who served specific roles. Some of their remains were found, such as Henry Goodsir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin' ... expedition
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Laura

Post by Laura »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

I just finished this book. I liked it a lot more than Terror, especially because it is factual and they encountered conditions even worse that the Terror crew. Great book!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Really enjoying it as well. Acting, setting, soundscape. Everything is just right. Hickey man... Hickey.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, finished it today. The ending veered from the novel quite a bit and seemed a bit too neatly done, and there's no evidence ever happening the way it did. Also seemed to end rather abruptly, almost as if they're setting up a season 2, although I always thought this was going to be a miniseries because I'm unsure how long they can drag this out.

Edit: Oh, that was only episode 6. There are ten in total. Oops. My DVR wasn't seeing any of the other upcoming episodes for some reason.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I was going to ask where the hell you got all the remaining episodes LoL
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I thought maybe Canada got to see it first since it takes place in your backyard.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it had me confused because I couldn't see any future episodes listed when doing a search on the DVR, and then I thought OK, it's done. But I felt the last episode I watched with the carnival had ended abruptly. I hadn't been watching them right away, and realized I missed last week's, again because of the DVR and as far as I can see, no repeats. So, I blame the guide info.

Oh btw, here's an interesting article about how they made the series. It's entirely made with CGI, using the same technology they used while filming The Martian:
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/the-te ... 201945793/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So...you're saying they didn't have to overpay the actors to hang out for a BBQ in your frozen back yard? :wink:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watched the last episode last night. Overall, 10 episodes was just too long, even if the production was good.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I liked the ending of the show better than the book. Not as much happily ever after...

I agree though, felt like it was about 2 episodes too long.

Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I liked it all the way to the end. The ending itself was kind of 'wtf?'. I mean, I can gather from context enough to puzzle it out. It's just that the entire show is them telling this meticulously drawn story then you get to the ending and it's like they say "It's over bye".
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, it was nicely bookended. I mean, they told us right up front how it was going to turn out and then returned to that same scene at the end. Seemed very tidy to me.

I heard it was renewed, and I have no idea what the next season might entail. I had thought it was a one-off mini-series.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I was referring to this:
Enlarge Image

If it had ended with the closed framing story that wouldn't have made me wonder 'wtf?'. It felt to me like there was another chapter to this story, they gave us the first couple of lines of that chapter and then the page is just left blank from there.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 pm Well, it was nicely bookended. I mean, they told us right up front how it was going to turn out and then returned to that same scene at the end. Seemed very tidy to me.

I heard it was renewed, and I have no idea what the next season might entail. I had thought it was a one-off mini-series.
I read the next season would be unrelated. It would be a new fresh story. Like they do with American Horror Story.

Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 pm I heard it was renewed, and I have no idea what the next season might entail. I had thought it was a one-off mini-series.
I've heard it's been sold as an anthology series. No idea if that means they'll adapt more of his novels.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 pm I heard it was renewed, and I have no idea what the next season might entail. I had thought it was a one-off mini-series.
Spoiler:
Lady Silence is pregnant with Tuunbaq's two-headed love child.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TV Line
AMC has renewed the horror anthology for a second season, TVLine has learned, with Season 2 partially set in a Japanese-American internment camp during World War II.

The season will revolve around “an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific,” according to the official release. ... Series co-creator Alexander Woo will serve as showrunner, with co-creator Max Borenstein serving as executive producer. Season 2, which will consist of 10 episodes, is slated to debut in 2019.

“I’m deeply honored to be telling a story set in this extraordinary period,” Woo said in a statement. “We hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment. And the prospect of doing so with a majority Asian and Asian-American cast is both thrilling and humbling.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 am
I've heard it's been sold as an anthology series. No idea if that means they'll adapt more of his novels.
The Abominable would probably be the easiest to adapt to film. Carrion Comfort too.