2018 Oscars

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

2018 Oscars

Post by YellowKing »

I know we had some 2018 talk in the 2017 Oscars thread, but I figured they need their own thread to avoid confusion.

Here's the complete list.

I've managed to see 8 of the 9 Best Picture nominees thus far. Here are my thoughts:

PHANTOM THREAD - The one I haven't seen yet. Hope to catch it before the awards.

GET OUT - Fantastic movie, but I don't think it has a chance at Best Picture. The only "horror" film to win Best Picture was SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, and as good as GET OUT is, it ain't no SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I think horror fans should be ecstatic it got a nomination and leave it at that.

DUNKIRK - As I mentioned in the other thread, I was a bit let down with this one. I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan, but this one fell far short of what I expected. Don't think it has a chance to win up against some of the other heavy hitters.

DARKEST HOUR - Loved this one, but only because of Gary Oldman's performance. If not for his phenomenal portrayal of Churchill, I'm not sure I'd have given it much more thought. The fact that this was a bit of a dark horse entry (I didn't see it on many Best Picture nomination predictions), means I'm not alone.

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - I'm not the target audience for this movie, so it was hard for me to identify with the relationship. And I felt an older guy having a relationship with a minor was a bit icky. Still, I could appreciate the film making and powerful performances. I'm really skeptical of its chances, however, given that MOONLIGHT won last year.

LADY BIRD - A friend of mine laughed at me when I described this film as "charming," but I don't know how else to describe it. It reminded me of Juno with a less comedic bent, but it's still funny and sad and sweet. Fantastic movie but I'm not sure it has the Oscar "hook" that would put it at the top of the Academy's list.

THE POST - Timely and relevant, but this one came off a little dry to me. I'm not a particularly big Meryl Streep fan either. This one vanished from my mind almost as soon as I left the theater, which isn't something I can say for most of the other films.

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI - Speaking of films not leaving your mind, this is the one on the list that probably moved me the most in terms of dwelling on it. You have an insanely strong set of performances here, and if not for the last film on this list it would have been my favorite. This one could be the surprise upset, and deservedly so. However, I'm betting it all on....

THE SHAPE OF WATER - The only film on this list I saw twice. I loved almost everything about this movie. The cast. The score, which is outstanding (I actually have it playing in the background as I type this). The beautiful production design and directing. I really liked it the first time I watched it. I loved it the second time I watched it. I think the reason it wins, however, is the love letter to old Hollywood that this film is. That's really going to appeal to Academy voters and push it over the edge. Combine that with the themes of love and tolerance, and it fits perfectly as a counterpoint to today's political climate as well.
Kraken

Re: 2018 Oscars

Post by Kraken »

I agree that it's between Billboards and Water. My inner journalist is rooting for the Post and expects to be disappointed.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've only seen a handful of the Best Picture movies this year, but I would like to see most of them.

GET OUT - Fantastic movie, but I didn't get "Best Picture" feelings from it.

DUNKIRK - I agree with YK. This felt like a letdown when I saw it in the theatre. One of the only Nolan movies that I have no desire to see twice.

THE POST - I understand why Meryl Streep was nominated for Best Actress, but Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg weren't recognized. She was the best part of this movie. Her character starts out weak, timid, and annoying, but grows into a strong leader. Just like Get Out, I liked this movie but I don't think it's "Best Picture" material. It obviously has parallels to current events, but the best part of this movie was the Mr. Show reunion.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw Get Out. 6/8 tentacles, so if they are giving out participation trophies these days, then why not. If it wins, I won't bother with seeing the losers since it would indicate a thoroughly dismal year.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Calling it here: The Breadwinner for best animated picture.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:Calling it here: The Breadwinner for best animated picture.
I haven't seen it, but I hope you're right. I really thought the presumed favorite, Coco, was way overrated and far from Pixar's best work.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, me too. Haven't seen Coco, but.... The Breadwinner has several things going for it. In all of the award ceremonies, it's been right behind Coco in the number of nominations. Right now, with all of the allegations going on in Hollywood, this movie presents a pretty strong statement, essentially a woman empowerment story. Outside of being beautifully told and animated, it has a woman director at the helm and backed by Angelina Jolie. I love Pixar and all, but it has many chances at winning every year, and this movie has come at the right time. And The Oscars are often where statements are made that often have strong industry implications. But most of all, it's just a really good movie that happens to be quite relevant. To have the award go to Coco I think would be a missed opportunity.

I don't see it as an underdog. I see Loving Vincent as the Underdog. I've seen that too, and while quite beautiful with a huge amount of work put into it (individually painted frames in Van Gogh's style), it's not really relevant. And we all know the Academy likes to vote for movies that it feels are relevant. I also feel it quite odd for Loving Vincent to be in the animated category given it's really not your typical animated movie. In this case, it's more about the process behind it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Since we're on the subject of non-major awards, I'd like to toss out that I REALLY hope "Mystery of Love" wins for Best Song. I've always been a big fan of Sufjan Stevens, and that song is way better than the other generic contenders on that list (IMO).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a heads up that a few nominees are available on Netflix. If anyone finds any others streaming free, please post.

Boss Baby (Animated Feature)
Revolting Rhymes (Animated Short)
Mudbound (Cinematography, Original Song, Best Supporting Actress)
Icarus (Documentary Feature)
Last Men in Aleppo (Documentary Feature)
Strong Island (Documentary Feature)
Heroin(e) (Documentary Short Subject)
On Body and Soul (Foreign Language Film)
The Square (Foreign Language Film)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Visual Effects)

Dear Basketball (Animated Short) is available here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Good thing there is no Oscar for website design.
Sorry, we’re experiencing technical difficulties.
We’ll be back momentarily.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Mudbound was one of those movies that while well-acted, I found to be bleak and depressing. It has a scenario that you can see coming from a mile away that I found too difficult to watch. I had watched it up to when there was 20 minutes left, and then I just couldn't do it anymore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

I enjoyed Dunkirk, but it's not oscar worthy in movie of the year sense. With that said, it definetly should win in the best use of sound category. That was essentially the main character of the film.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Mudbound was a tough watch. Good movie but I prefer lovable tough guy criminal Jonathan Banks, not scary racist Jonathan Banks. :D

Big props to Mary J. Blige, however. She was almost unrecognizable in the role.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just finished LAST MEN IN ALEPPO, which was a brutally tough watch. It documents a handful of "White Helmet" workers who work to save lives in Syria. Really makes you reflect on how lucky you are to be able to sit back in the comfort of your home and watch that on Netflix instead of living it. Heartbreaking.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Continuing my streak of upbeat films <sarcasm>, I watched STRONG ISLAND. This is a documentary about William Ford, a young African-American man who was murdered in the '90s. His (white) killer, although known, was let off completely on a self-defense claim and never even went to trial. Tragic story with no happy ending.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watched ICARUS.

Pretty fascinating documentary. The filmmaker started out by making a movie about his adventures in doping for his (amateur) cycling competition, where he enlisted the aid of one of Russia's biggest dopers. However, shortly after their relationship was built, the Olympic Russia doping scandal broke open, and the remainder of the documentary swerves into the fallout from all that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally saw Phantom Thread, the last from the Best Picture nominee list.

Phantom Thread is exactly the kind of Best Picture nominee that makes most people say, "I hate the Oscars." On its surface, it's everything the Academy loves and regular moviegoers loathe - a talky drama about 1950s British fashion designers? <world's biggest eyeroll>

However, I've always believed that great actors can elevate anything they're in. Leave it to Daniel Day-Lewis to make something interesting about a subject that is about as far out of my wheelhouse as you can get. His portrayal of Reynolds Woodcock, eccentric and abrasive fashion designer to the wealthy, is riveting. His counterpoint is Alma (Vicky Krieps), a young woman who is as strong-willed as he is. Watching the two manipulate each other is the key delight of the film, though the fascinating sets and costumes provide a great deal of entertainment on their own.

It's not the best picture out of the nine nominees, but it is a disquieting, somber film that slowly worms its way into your brain.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm Finally saw Phantom Thread, the last from the Best Picture nominee list.

Phantom Thread is exactly the kind of Best Picture nominee that makes most people say, "I hate the Oscars." On its surface, it's everything the Academy loves and regular moviegoers loathe - a talky drama about 1950s British fashion designers? <world's biggest eyeroll>
So you're saying it's no match for Girls Gone Wild Volume 378. Gotcha.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm Just a heads up that a few nominees are available on Netflix. If anyone finds any others streaming free, please post.

Boss Baby (Animated Feature)
Revolting Rhymes (Animated Short)
Mudbound (Cinematography, Original Song, Best Supporting Actress)
Icarus (Documentary Feature)
Last Men in Aleppo (Documentary Feature)
Strong Island (Documentary Feature)
Heroin(e) (Documentary Short Subject)
On Body and Soul (Foreign Language Film)
The Square (Foreign Language Film)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Visual Effects)

Dear Basketball (Animated Short) is available here.
Get Out (Best Picture) is on HBO Go / HBO Now. Haven't watched it yet, but planning on making time for it soon-ish.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, this was a fairly predictable Oscar night. Most of the major predictions people were making turned out to be right, and I don't think there were many upsets, if any. In fact, it felt like the Academy was playing it safe. My prediction of The Breadwinner didn't pan out, but Coco? Yeah, big surprise there...

The most exciting thing I felt was when Kimmel took everyone across the street to the Chinese theatre to surprise everyone watching A Wrinkle in Time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife decided she wanted to watch this. I had to install the ABC app on the Fire box to watch it, then as soon as it started, my wife turned off the volume so she could spend the evening talking on the phone. I had no interest in it at all, so I mostly just read a book when I wasn't trying to get the kids to bed. There seemed to be lots of advertising though for something called "90 Scars." Sounds like a Danny Trejo movie?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wait, wait, wait...Boss Baby was nominated for an Oscar. WTF?? That movie was absolutely terrible.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That surprised me too. It was indeed a terrible movie.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Disagree, I enjoyed Boss Baby. And my kids loved it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm Well, this was a fairly predictable Oscar night. Most of the major predictions people were making turned out to be right, and I don't think there were many upsets, if any. In fact, it felt like the Academy was playing it safe. My prediction of The Breadwinner didn't pan out, but Coco? Yeah, big surprise there...
I was disappointed that Coco won best song. Yeah, the whole movie kinda circled around that song but it's still pretty meh.
"This Is Me" from The Greatest Showman is soooo much better.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, "This is Me" is a pretty uplifting song. I thought it'd have more of a chance given what's going on in Hollywood. I saw The World's Greatest Showman in theatres and when that song came up, I remember distinctly feeling like the timing for it was so right. It's a song that gave me chills. Meanwhile, Coco's song was nice but just didn't have the same effect on me. It actually sounded a little too busy to me. What I appreciated about This is Me was that it was direct with its message.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Frances Mcdormand Rocks!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:57 pm Disagree, I enjoyed Boss Baby. And my kids loved it.
As did mine...which serves as a strong affirmation that is indeed a terrible film.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My kids loved it too, which is why I could understand it being nominated for some Nickelodeon award. Not an Oscar though. Now we can call The Boss Baby an Academy Award Nominated Film, just like Goodfellas.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Since the thread was resurrected, I'll give my thoughts.

First off, I live tweeted the whole thing through my podcast account. That was a blast. Will definitely be doing that again next year.

As pointed out, it was an amazingly predictable show for how close it was supposed to be. Even the Best Picture race, supposedly the closest in years, fell exactly where most people would have put their money. So that was disappointing.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel was an excellent host, although he played it very safe most of the night. You could tell the Academy was terrified of being too edgy this year. However, most of his jokes landed. You could also tell they were very careful to feature more women and minorities as presenters this year.

The best joke of the night, however, was from one of my buddies I was watching the telecast with. As Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announced THE SHAPE OF WATER for Best Picture, I remarked, "Well that was predictable." He replied, "Yeah, the only surprise was Faye Dunaway coming out dressed as The Creature." :lol:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, while Kimmel was good, I agree that overall they played it too safe. My parents commented that it was very relaxed, but I think it might have been a bit too far in that direction. I'd love to see a different host next year. As good as he is, I think it's not a good idea to get too complacent. My vote would go out to Jerry Seinfeld to host. I think he'd be great at it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm My vote would go out to Jerry Seinfeld to host. I think he'd be great at it.
Ricky Gervais would be entertaining.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Didn't he already recently do it though? I'd rather have someone new have a go at it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

He hosted the Golden Globes 3 times. He's ready for a promotion.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sad!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm not sure why the Oscars are slipping. I have always been a big fan of the show. This year was the first show since I don't know when that I didn't watch it. I wasn't too busy to watch it, just had no desire. Part of it was that I hadn't seen any of the movies nominated. That was never the case in the past. Still, even if I had seen them, my desire to watch the show has ebbed quite a bit and I probably still would have intentionally missed it.

I have really been turned off by some of the gags they do. One year they had surprised a group of people by bringing them to the show. It was not funny at all. The year with Ellen she did this terrible selfie with stars to promote the latest Samsung phone. That was just awful. And how can we forget James Franco and Anne Hathaway.

Okay, I guess I do know why I stopped watching.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 pm I'm not sure why the Oscars are slipping.
Reason speculates that all major forms of entertainment (i.e., NFL, Olympics, award shows) are slipping is because we have so many entertainment choices. Contrary to what Trump and others spout, it has nothing to do with politics.

Between better and better cable TV packages, Netflix and Amazon streaming, YouTube, smart phones, and more and different types of sports, concerts, restaurants, you name it, it's really hard to maintain market share, much less grow it. "Cultural proliferation"—massive and ongoing increases our ability to make and consume creative expression under the circumstances we prefer—means that legacy institutions such as the Oscars, the Olympics, and the Super Bowl are almost certain to decline. That loss has nothing to do with political posturing—conservatives, progressives, liberals, and libertarians all have infinitely more outlets than we did a generation ago—and more to do with incredible consumer choice.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The opening montage was also fairly uninteresting an unexciting. I'm sure it was done as a tribute to 90 years of Oscars, but it came off as an odd juxtaposition. Just picture it starting off in black & white, Kimmel doing his best to imitate an old-style radio announcer while naming some stars on the red carpet and that's pretty much it. It lacked a certain punch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the problem is that the Oscars are constantly trying to adjust to public perception. Every time there's a criticism, they come back next year prepared to nullify it. After years and years of this, we've wound up with this safe, sterilized show that nobody finds entertaining.

The irony is that in hindsight, it's the disasters that have made them fun to watch. The Oscars are the ultimate hate-watch, and when you remove that nobody wants to tune in anymore.

Heck, even the speeches were boring this year. Aside from Frances McDormand's moderately fiery speech (which was still tame by Oscar standards), you'd have thought none of those folks could just afford to buy that jet ski on their own.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's a good observation. I think one of my favourite moments was when Jodie Foster was presenting and came out on crutches. I forget who was co-presenting with her, but that person had said: omg, what happened to you? Foster replied: Streep.

At this rate though, the ironic thing would be not seeing it to 100 and returning to becoming the private event it used to be before it became all televised.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti