30 day bread and sugar fast

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: 30 day bread and sugar fast

Post by Moliere »

Weight Watchers calls eggs a zero point food.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

20 eggs a day it is!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Moliere wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm Weight Watchers calls eggs a zero point food.
Shovel them in!!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

::: shudders at the recollection of Devine in Pink Flamingos asking about the eggman:::
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's been two solid weeks for me being off sugar and simple carbs, since February 6th. Aside from that, I'm trying to stick to a generally healthy selection of foods. No meats, no breads, no pasta, some eggs, mostly veggies and nuts. I drink seltzer water or tea for flavor, but mostly water.

I'm still fighting the desire to eat pizza, bread, chocolates, cookies, and all the other delights that would destroy me. This urge is getting easier day by day, a small bit at a time. It's really damn hard when someone brings in doughnut holes for the office, or when I walk into a remote site, and they've got a spread of junk food in the break room for staff to munch on and stay wired. I kind of miss diet soda as it was my go-to perk at the end of the day, but there's almost no urge for it. Everywhere I go, I have to say "No thanks" to something that would trip me up and send me back to the Dark Side.

I almost always have a small gnawing hunger, though. I assume this is my body fighting the transition from sugar and carbs to healthy. It's so out of whack that it can't tell me what it needs anymore. I have to ignore it.

I try and watch calories in general. A typical day might start with 4 fried eggs (farm raised - not factory -
cooked in canola oil) for ~500 calories. Then lunch might be a bowl of nuts, broccoli, and carrots, maybe another ~600 calories - portable, easy to make. Dinner would be a salad with dressing for another ~600-800 calories (spinach, kale, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, radish, spanish olives, cauliflower, pecans, sunflower seeds & a slice of cheese chopped and mixed in with a small bit of "whole fat" dressing, Mrs. Dash, Salad Toppins, and Bacon Bits); more involved, but very healthy.

I've lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. 242 to 235.

I hate to say I feel better, because my wife would say "I told you so" but I do. My body feels better/cleaner and I feel more alive, despite tossing out caffeine and sugar to spike my alertness. I don't need spikes anymore because I'm not crashing all the time without it.

I think the key to this is being angry at feeling controlled by the foods I was eating, and not taking better care of myself. I'm rolling through 40 and trying to hit 41 in better shape overall. I really want this to stick as a permanent lifestyle change. I've made some baby steps before - like going vegan, then vegetarian last year - and those help keep me out of the worst things. I have zero craving to eat meat anymore, so I know these things can change.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven't had a soda in 4 days.

I'd murder every one of you (and Hepcat twice) for a Pepsi right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Congratz on the success and continued will power. Last week it was someone bringing bagels for the office. This week someone brought a box of cookies to share. Oh, the temptations. :pray:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:02 pmI'd murder every one of you (and Hepcat twice) for a Pepsi right now.
Stay strong. One day at a time isn't just for Alcoholics. It works for sugar fiends and carb junkies too.

It's hard, but the body doesn't need high fructose corn syrup to survive, and it's going to argue otherwise. Often with intense persistence or subtle whispering. The fact that you're craving something so unhealthy so badly should tell you something about it.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Willpower is hard, especially when everyone in the household doesn't follow the same principles. Sometimes just knowing there are things in the house that are off-limits is so tempting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm Willpower is hard, especially when everyone in the household doesn't follow the same principles. Sometimes just knowing there are things in the house that are off-limits is so tempting.
I keep asking my wife "If we're being so healthy and eating right, why do we keep feeding our kids junk food?" Her answer was that they're still young and have the metabolism to handle it. "Yeah," I reply "but aren't we making it harder for them to be healthy later in life?" ... you know, like what we're going through right now?

I wish we could get rid of all the bad things and get us on the same diet. Our kids hate it, though. They still end up eating trash at school and with babysitters, so they're not adjusting to it permanently.
Black Lives Matter

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I think it's a good idea starting good habits when young. And the thing is, these days we're so much more aware of what we're putting in our bodies than we ever have in the past, so that's worth noting too. I think the better habits that are instilled in them, will turn out a better generation down the road. In other words, even if we ate a lot of junk food in our past without thinking about it, doesn't mean the new generation should too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:57 pmI really want this to stick as a permanent lifestyle change.
I wish you the best of luck, but in my experience, the cravings always win in the end (and if you aren't getting your body what it needs, the cravings won't stop). Each body is different though, so my experience may not matter to anyone else.

This is the first time that I've made large scale changes, and at now point in time have I had to deal with hunger or cravings of any kind. It gives me hope that it is sustainable.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I made this change a few years ago, although I do eat bread, but only if it is whole grain. I don't worry too much about added sugar (ketchup, peanut butter), but I avoid sugary (pop, cookies.) Water has been my go-to for years for drinks. The urge really does go away, usually about the time you try something you used to like and find it so overpoweringly sweet that you can't stand it. The same thing goes for salt.

Right now I'm trying to kick caffeine again. Someone got me drinking coffee over the holidays for the first time in eight years, and I'm suffering for it. I hate having to worry about 'maintenance' caffeine. I think I'll reduce myself slowly back down to green tea (about 1/4 of the caffeine of coffee), the start putting black teas back into the routine (about half the caffeine of coffee.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:51 pm The urge really does go away, usually about the time you try something you used to like and find it so overpoweringly sweet that you can't stand it. The same thing goes for salt.
I should have clarified that I didn't mean the cravings for a lot of sugar or salt or what have you that are based more on habit than anything else. One of the common issues of diets that severely restrict carbs is an overpowering craving for carbs. A big part of the reason for that is that your body needs carbs. So the craving is a sign that your body isn't getting what it genuinely needs. Although most low-carb diets that I know of do reintroduce good carbs as you go on, so as long as you do that you are probably in the clear.
Make up bags of change
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:57 pmI really want this to stick as a permanent lifestyle change.
I wish you the best of luck, but in my experience, the cravings always win in the end (and if you aren't getting your body what it needs, the cravings won't stop). Each body is different though, so my experience may not matter to anyone else.
I think I can safely say that my body doesn't need a lasagna or pizza on a daily basis, but is asking for it. Even when I was eating unhealthy and with lots of sugar & simple carbs, I was seeking pizza constantly.

I do still eat whole grains and old-fashioned oatmeal as a primary source of carbs. It's just not dripping with butter, slathered in sauce, or rolled in sugar.

Yesterday: 4 fried eggs, a 3/4 cup of pan-fried seasoned tofu cubes, hearty salad (arugula, kale, pecans, sunflower seeds, radish, spanish olives, English cucumber, carrot, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Bacon Bits, Salad Toppins, Mrs. Dash, full-fat italian dressing), 1 can seltzer water, 2 liters well water.
Black Lives Matter

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 amI do still eat whole grains and old-fashioned oatmeal as a primary source of carbs. It's just not dripping with butter, slathered in sauce, or rolled in sugar.
I think we were talking about cravings in different contexts, that's all. What you are talking about should definitely abate, and probably reasonably quickly.
Make up bags of change
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 amI do still eat whole grains and old-fashioned oatmeal as a primary source of carbs. It's just not dripping with butter, slathered in sauce, or rolled in sugar.
I think we were talking about cravings in different contexts, that's all. What you are talking about should definitely abate, and probably reasonably quickly.
You might be talking about your body successfully communicating something it needs. My body is completely broken in that regard. It only communicates how much unhealthy crap it wants to consume. I've never had a craving for anything healthy; at least not that I can remember.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's what I was talking about earlier, too. Human bodies are designed to communicate their needs, but a bad diet will distort that. It takes a while to 'reset' your body's instincts. In fact, that was the original intention behind the 'potato diet' that was going around for a while. It isn't supposed to help you lose weight directly, it's supposed to have you eating only bland foods without sugars, fat, and salt for a month or so to reset your food urges and taste buds back to normal after decades of training them on cheeseburgers, pizza, and pop.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It worked when I changed from sugar-based fuel sources to alcohol-based ones.

Don't try this with your car though. Apparently, they don't adapt as well.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My willpower finally caved today when the kids came home with a bag of those candy Valentines hearts. A guy can only take so much temptation. :oops:

Back on the horse tomorrow.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sugar only exists to be fermented.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 pm Sugar only exists to be fermented.
Says the nick with it's own brand of rum...
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Week 2 results:
Still no bread products.
Continued reduced sugar intake by 80%.
Everything else still in moderation.

I feel no different. Same energy level, etc.

Weight loss in the 2nd week: 0 pounds.
:cry:

As predicted, my body caught on to what I was doing and is now holding tight to the remaining fat.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If your total calorie count is staying the same and you've not increased the calories burned, I wouldn't expect there would be any significant loss.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Stupid physics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Your brain thinks it can fool your body, but your body knows who's really in charge.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 pm If your total calorie count is staying the same and you've not increased the calories burned, I wouldn't expect there would be any significant loss.
I've done nothing but reduce carbs to around 50-100g a day (avoiding added sugars and processed foods). No exercise, no portion control in any capacity. Tons of proteins and vegetables instead. I've dropped 12 lbs in 14 days - no exercise (yet). While I don't know for sure, I'm guessing my calorie count is likely below what I was eating prior to this thread, however I'm not starving or miserable.

I also know that dropping weight quickly as part of a low carb diet isn't unusual either - it's mostly water. However, I'm a bit surprised at Moliere's results. Unless of course, he didn't have a great deal of tonnage to drop in the first place. I have quite a bit to spare (obviously), so it's working for me. If someone is like 3% body fat, I'm not sure I'd expect a bread and sugar fast to impact their weight as much.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 pm I also know that dropping weight quickly as part of a low carb diet isn't unusual either - it's mostly water. However, I'm a bit surprised at Moliere's results. Unless of course, he didn't have a great deal of tonnage to drop in the first place. I have quite a bit to spare (obviously), so it's working for me. If someone is like 3% body fat, I'm not sure I'd expect a bread and sugar fast to impact their weight as much.
I started at 209. Weighed in at 202 yesterday, maintaining the original 7 pounds lost in the first week. I would estimate that my ideal weight is around 185. So not a "great deal of tonnage to drop" but still a few pounds from ideal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I lost 20 pounds over the last two years on the "Eat Less" diet. I guess it helps that I don't generally crave food and I'm not a big fan of any food but spicy. I also like raw veggies and gave up alcohol. I'm pretty much dead center of the healthy section of the BMI charts and the chart says I have another 20 pounds to give before I'd be underweight. I am not sure I could drop down to 125, but I'm tempted to go for it just to see. I've got at least three weeks before I am cleared to start running again after my back surgery. We'll see what that does to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I recall the last time I weighed 125 - I was my second year of high school. Today I don't think my skeletal remains would be that light.

Temps in the 50's today and tomorrow. Went walking 3x around the pond at lunch and made arrangements for my wife to fetch the boy from school so I can go directly home and we'll all walk to the playground. Exercise is necessary for me to make any significant headway; and in the past few months either the weather didn't cooperate (typical winter here), or I was on full time duty with the kids with the wife at work. The latter will continue to be a problem and I anticipate that come biking season, I'll struggle to get near last year's meager effort.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pmI started at 209. Weighed in at 202 yesterday, maintaining the original 7 pounds lost in the first week. I would estimate that my ideal weight is around 185. So not a "great deal of tonnage to drop" but still a few pounds from ideal.
I started at 242, and weighed in at 232 this morning. 3 weeks in, 10lbs lost. Changing my diet is all I've done.

I've been -zero- added sugar in my foods except trace amounts in things like some dressings, and -zero- simple carb intake like bread and pasta.

I've been eating a lot of eggs, oatmeal, salads, and brown rice. I have also reduced my caloric intake, shooting for something around 1,800-1,900 per day instead of 2,000-2,200 (not religiously, but estimated).

Cravings for sugar have largely subsided, and I'm still finding myself wanting more interesting things - like a nice deep-dish pizza, for example.

I tried a small slice of coconut creme pie last night to see how my body handled it. It tasted okay and didn't send me raving through the halls on a sugar high. Interestingly, it did make my stomach a little displeased, but only a little. My wife had more than I did (she's been eating just as well as I have), and her stomach was unimpressed to the point of discomfort. Today I'm not finding myself pulled towards more sugar and junk, so I'm guessing it's 'safe' to have a little treat now and then. Maybe once every 3 weeks or so?

Our downfall in other diets is that we'd do great all week and then take the a night off on the weekend - which would become taking a day off the next weekend, and then taking a couple days off in a few more weekends, and then total abandonment of the diet after a few months with expected weight gain. I'm trying to be hardline on treats and allowances - as in even "moderation" is the devil.
Black Lives Matter

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ate donuts for breakfast yesterday. First time in 20 days. Spent the day with cramping, gas, and diarrhea. The bakery and sugar industry told me it was a coincidence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 am Ate donuts for breakfast yesterday. First time in 20 days. Spent the day with cramping, gas, and diarrhea. The bakery and sugar industry told me it was a coincidence.
They have some advice on your ideal weight, as well.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 am Ate donuts for breakfast yesterday. First time in 20 days. Spent the day with cramping, gas, and diarrhea. The bakery and sugar industry told me it was a coincidence.
It's amazing how a body reacts to crap food after it's been cleaned up. I had some discomfort after a small piece of pie, never mind a breakfast of doughnuts.

Reminds me of the Supersize Me documentary. Dude eats healthy as a way of life, and then grabs a Big Mac. He promptly breaks into sweats vomits it up as his body rejects it as food. I can see how this happens now.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I hit 120lbs when I was in 6th grade. 209 would have been my first year of college. I think we're on different planes of existence. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My biggest sugar problem is usually breakfast. I'm not a morning person at all, and have never had an appetite after I wake up. One thing I don't want to do in the morning: eat. I eat because it is necessary. It' s usually breakfast bars or yogurt because all you have to do is grab them and choke them down.

One thing I absolutely will not do in the morning: Cook. I have to will myself to eat at all. Put effort into it? Nope. I'm occasionally willing to boil water to pour into a bowl of instant oatmeal, but that's it. Stand and stir? Not happening. I would simply stop eating breakfast first. Recipes? Ovens? Dishes afterward? Oh, that's hilarious.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This thread has convinced me to stop eating cereals for breakfast every morning. Even though I've mainly been eating the seemingly healthier cereals (i.e. not Cookie Crisps), they all have tons of added sugar. So this morning, for the first time, I made myself steel cut oatmeal and added blueberries, walnuts, and banana. It was fine, if not exciting. Any good suggestions for good recipes/things to add?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 pm This thread has convinced me to stop eating cereals for breakfast every morning. Even though I've mainly been eating the seemingly healthier cereals (i.e. not Cookie Crisps), they all have tons of added sugar. So this morning, for the first time, I made myself steel cut oatmeal and added blueberries, walnuts, and banana. It was fine, if not exciting. Any good suggestions for good recipes/things to add?
You have time for that shit? Pop Tarts FTW.

I've gone through the whole winter without once making oatmeal (for myself, I've made it for my wife a few times). When I make it for myself, I'll typically macerate a banana and incorporate it with the milk before adding the oats and cooking. I also add raisins before cooking so they become less desiccated. Finish it off with a nice chunk of butter and some honey.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm I also add raisins before cooking so they become less desiccated.
Grapes. They're called grapes.