I adopted two new kittens.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

I adopted two new kittens.

Post by Drazzil »

On my last vacation to Portland I lost a cat. Sheeba. I think she died of a broken heart while I was gone. I also was told that my oldest Lucy was on the way out of old age. All the older cats and my mom were terribly depressed when I finally got home.

One of the neighborhood strays delivered a litter recently and I had the unfortunate duty of disposing of dead kittens already so I figured bring the last two in, how expensive could it be?

500 dollars two snap tests, two fixings, multiple vaxxinations and many nights of bring jumped on later.

Duchess and Trumpet

Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Re: I adopted two new kittens.

Post by Drazzil »

Sorry for the shitty formatting guys.

This fucks my Immediate Portland plans but I been thru too much lately to just turn my face away from these poor creatures. The cats in my life have been literally my only real life friends or family lately. My moms been hospitalized, Ive been struggling with SEVERE depression
the kind that gets you hospitalized. I thought I had substance abuse problems for a while but then I stopped drinking and smoking weed completely for months atva time before realizing that when you're too depressed to self medicate you have a problem.

So I figured I would adopt two new kittens and see if that helped... and surprisingly it did. Im not cured, but they make me feel better. Their antics and play really make me feel a little better.
Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The last two kittens we adopted were brother and sister, and like these two they looked nothing alike. We lost one to cancer at the end of last year. My daughter brought two cats with her when she moved back in and the three remaining cats get along great.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 pm Enlarge Image
Don't link albums, link images.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

How do I fix it?
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Somebody once told me "there's no such thing as a free kitten". He was right!

Such pretty cats, Drazzil. I'm glad they're helping you as much as you're helping them.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:41 pm How do I fix it?
When you're on a page with an image that has all the Imgur/etc. crap on in, right-click on the image and select Open Image in New tab. Then put that in the img tag.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool looking cats Draz. I like them. Our last cat blew in after the tornado in 2011. It was very friendly and a loving cat. Jet black with gold eyes. We brought it in bad weather and Halloween. Left it out otherwise. My wife kept wanting to bring it in for good but I didn't want to. Then about Halloween 2015...maybe 16...I went to feed her and she never showed up. This was 2 weeks before Halloween as I recall or close to it. I was already thinking of bringing her in. Never saw her again. We dont know what happened to her. She seemed healthy but we have no idea how old she was. She was so furry. I now wish Id agreed with the wife and just had her as an indoor cat. I hope she got a good home. You'd think though she'd be let out and would visit. So I fear the worst. Mrs Marple.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The black one with the comma spot on his mouth is Duchess. I thought "he" was a she and propiety and the fact he was a wildcat kept me from making sure. When I got closer to him I figured I didnt care. When I discovered the truth I decided to keep the nvame as an Archer reference.

Trumpet was his sister and was a tag along when she discovered what her brother was doing and decided she didnt want to live outside anymore. She snuck in. When she saw the other cats and the heaping plates of food AND her brother in a heated cat bed, you could literally SEE the wheels churning behind her eyes. Finally she snuck under my table and didn't want to leave, I guess thats feline for "Yes please"

Unfortunately she ran away ten days later and wasent seen for ANOTHER five days. I think she got slammed in the door as she left and maybe decided I was trying to kill her. When she came back days later it looked like someone had hit her in the mouth with something.

The happy postscript to this story is that she hasent tried to run out since. I hope I can keep both of them safe as flighty as these cats are.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cats gonna be cats.

We got two kittens (brothers) a year after Iggy died. These guys were slow to bond with us -- they had a rough start in life, and their first loyalty is to each other. After two years we've reached a good relationship. Beery's turned into a loverboy, but Gus still keeps his distance, and he periodically decides to stay out overnight. I worry when I don't see him for 24+ hours and I'm afraid he's just not going to come back one day. Beery will be devastated if that happens.

He always does come back, though. He's still young and strong and fast and he can take care of himself. Gus gotta be Gus.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, better than adopting two old kittens.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

WAIT ONE SECOND

... Is that.... Is that, THE CHAIR !?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 am

WAIT ONE SECOND

... Is that.... Is that, THE CHAIR !?
That is the chair. Mom stopped letting it back it when she almost broke it, so when she wants to take a nap she has me put it back. Mostly its the cats chair now.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm Cats gonna be cats.

We got two kittens (brothers) a year after Iggy died. These guys were slow to bond with us -- they had a rough start in life, and their first loyalty is to each other. After two years we've reached a good relationship. Beery's turned into a loverboy, but Gus still keeps his distance, and he periodically decides to stay out overnight. I worry when I don't see him for 24+ hours and I'm afraid he's just not going to come back one day. Beery will be devastated if that happens.

He always does come back, though. He's still young and strong and fast and he can take care of himself. Gus gotta be Gus.
I would never let my cats out to roam. Too many things to kill them locally. Different strokes for different folks though. Some people say its abuse to let them roam, others say its abuse not to. :think:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

They are adorable! Good for you taking them in and giving them a nice home.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I made *NO* judgements on the roam vs no roam policy that Cat owners employ.

People in my neighborhood kill cats for sport so if I want to keep a cat longer then 2 years. I must confine. Just thought I would clarify.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm Cats gonna be cats.

I would never let my cats out to roam. Too many things to kill them locally. Different strokes for different folks though. Some people say its abuse to let them roam, others say its abuse not to. :think:
On one hand, all of our cats have always gone outdoors, and indoor cats get soft and neurotic. OTOH, I like knowing that they're indoors and safe; our neighborhood isn't terribly dangerous, but of course there are always perils. Our guys made the decision for us last spring, while we were still debating it. Turned out that the screen on one of our windows is easy to pop out. After that escape, they soon figured out that all the screens can be popped. Then it turned out that a window only has to be open 2" for them to get enough leverage to pop the screen. Then it turned out that even if the window's only open 1.5", they can get their heads under it and raise it far enough. By the time we finally discovered their limits, they'd escaped more than half a dozen times, and confining them to quarters was no longer an option. (Neither was keeping the windows closed; we don't have AC.)

Like I said, cats gonna be cats. Beery's indifferent to the outdoors but Gus hears the call of the wild and will not be denied. And man, you should see him climb trees.

Enlarge Image

We've had a comfortable understanding through the winter. Wife lets them out by 8 am and they're happy to come in around noon and spend the rest of the day indoors. If the weather's vile they don't want to go out at all. That will last until spring. All bets are off when the days get long and warm again.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

That picture is *so*cool.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I just adopted this guy from our Humane Society on Friday. He's afraid of everything "people" (even a tiny TV!?), but I'm quiet and patient. :) He's very big and floppy. I'll have to see if he'll ride on my shoulder like my old cat used to do. His roommate wants to make friends, but they're still afraid of each other.

Enlarge Image
There is no hug button. Sad!