Work at home career switch

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Work at home career switch

Post by Xmann »

My wife and I are starting the early stages of planning to travel full time in about 4 years. We are thinking of doing the RV thing.

Being a nurse, I won't have too much difficulties finding something to do remotely. However, my wife is another story.

My wife is a physical therapist with many years experience. But from our research, there isn't anything she could do remotely. Our plan is to have the flexibility to move around whenever we like and not be tied down because of work.

In saying that, what ideas or suggestions does anyone have for a remote career, even part time?

My first thought is she could go back to school or learn something like website design and start that now. 4 years from now she could have a decent gig going?

No clue what would be worth her wild, if anything, to learn and develop a skill set for. Is there is market for website design or something similar she can become educated and learn that could pay off and work remotely in a few years?

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Moliere

Re: Work at home career switch

Post by Moliere »

Meet the CamperForce, Amazon's Nomadic Retiree Army
In the mid-2000s, Amazon had a problem. Every year, the company scrambled to find temporary workers during the peak months of hectic commerce leading up to Christmas. In some areas of the country, reliable on-demand labor was so hard to come by that it resorted to busing in workers from three to five hours away. Then, in 2008, a staffing agency came up with something new: inviting a team of migrant RVers to work at the facility in Coffeyville, Kansas.

Pleased with the results, Amazon brought in more RVers the following year, expanding the program to warehouses in Campbellsville, Kentucky, and Fernley, Nevada. Amazon gave the new initiative a name—Camper­Force—and a logo: the silhouette of an RV in motion, bearing the corporation’s “smile” logo.

Many of the workers who joined Camper­Force were around traditional retirement age, in their sixties or even seventies. They were glad to have a job, even if it involved walking as many as 15 miles a day on the concrete floor of a warehouse. From a hiring perspective, the RVers were a dream labor force. They showed up on demand and dispersed just before Christmas in what the company cheerfully called a “taillight parade.” They asked for little in the way of benefits or protections. And though warehouse jobs were physically taxing—not an obvious fit for older bodies—recruiters came to see Camper­Force workers’ maturity as an asset. These were diligent, responsible employees. Their attendance rates were excellent.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

There are other non-clinical paths for physical therapists, like teaching (or tutoring) online courses or doing clinical reviews. Might be way better than leaving her field of expertise AND risk landing on something that she ends up hating.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I believe College Board and ACT are always looking for people to read and grade student essays. The last time I discussed this with both groups was when I worked at a university about 8 years ago. They train graders on what to look for in an essay and grade them on a five-point(?) scale. Two people will grade each essay and if their scores don't match a third reader is brought in. This would be seasonal work and would not be a career, but I think it could easily be done on the road.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hmm, good ideas

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Does she have any experience with Epic? They hire people to do remote stuff and seem to favor people with a health background vs tech.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

no experience with Epic

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

McNutt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 pm I believe College Board and ACT are always looking for people to read and grade student essays. The last time I discussed this with both groups was when I worked at a university about 8 years ago. They train graders on what to look for in an essay and grade them on a five-point(?) scale. Two people will grade each essay and if their scores don't match a third reader is brought in. This would be seasonal work and would not be a career, but I think it could easily be done on the road.
I did this sort of thing for almost 10 years, although I only did the essay scoring part briefly. I could tell a few stories, but if you want to look into that type of work, just go to the ETS website and look at scoring opportunities: www.ets.org/raters

The people I worked with were always very professional, FWIW.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

paulbaxter wrote:
McNutt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 pm I believe College Board and ACT are always looking for people to read and grade student essays. The last time I discussed this with both groups was when I worked at a university about 8 years ago. They train graders on what to look for in an essay and grade them on a five-point(?) scale. Two people will grade each essay and if their scores don't match a third reader is brought in. This would be seasonal work and would not be a career, but I think it could easily be done on the road.
I did this sort of thing for almost 10 years, although I only did the essay scoring part briefly. I could tell a few stories, but if you want to look into that type of work, just go to the ETS website and look at scoring opportunities: www.ets.org/raters

The people I worked with were always very professional, FWIW.
looking into this

gf.me/u/zhnmhs