Taxes with Vets disability and death?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Taxes with Vets disability and death?

Post by Zenn7 »

My Uncle died early last year. After a several month wait for probate in case anyone else stepped up (no one did or would have been likely to), they settled his estate finally late last year.

But they told my family we have to deal with his 2017 taxes.

Family is having trouble finding the paperwork they were given (he had a court appointed fiduciary who was not that helpful after the funeral). Not sure where whatever tax statement regarding his disability income for 2017 would have been sent. They had the mail stopped from going to his house.

Is Veterans Disability pay taxable?

What happens if we just ignore this?

Can they come after the executor or the family or something? (He left his estate to his brothers/sisters, no kids)

Assuming we have to deal with this, who would we reach out to if we can't find the paperwork in regards to his 2017 Vet Disability income?

Just throwing this out here, thinking maybe some of you have had to deal with this sort of thing before.

Thanks,
Zenn7
Zarathud

Re: Taxes with Vets disability and death?

Post by Zarathud »

The court appointed fiduciary should have filed with the court an accounting and forwarded tax info to someone. If not, call the fiduciary to get it.

If taxes weren't filed, that would be a surprise, but the tax liability may have flowed through to those who received any estate assets. The family may receive K-1s.

It shouldn't be ignored because someone is responsible to the IRS, and they'll follow any money.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am
Pretty sure it's not. So no one will owe for his VA disability benefits but someone should still file 2017 taxes. You might be able to get the disability payment information from the VA.

Sorry to hear of the passing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am
Pretty sure it's not. So no one will owe for his VA disability benefits but someone should still file 2017 taxes. You might be able to get the disability payment information from the VA.

Sorry to hear of the passing.
Pretty sure this. ^^^^^^^^^
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thanks all.

Will definitely file the taxes. Going back up (it's about 2 hour drive away from me) and look for taxes again this weekend (amongst other things, my Aunt who supposedly has the paperwork is not in great shape, doc says she needed assisted living so my wife has moved in for now to help her out).

Reach out to the VA if I can't find anything.
Bashtor

Post by Bashtor »

I receive VA disability and can confirm that VA disability pay is not taxable and they do not give forms to file for taxes that I am aware of. However, if he received any kind of additional military retirement pay or pensions not from the VA, they are taxable. Most benefits from the VA, if I'm not mistaken, are not taxable, but someone may correct me if I am wrong on that. I agree, taxes should be filed, but his VA pay will not be included in his taxable income. I, as well, am sorry for you loss.

Brian