Toys R Not Us

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: Toys R Not Us

Post by hentzau »

TRU became our go-to place to buy bikes for my kids as they were growing up.

And TRU is where I got most of my Heroscape stuff, they would have sales on it a couple of times a year.

But yes, I agree with almost all of the above statements, it just wasn't fun to shop there any longer.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am My wife works at a local toy store and the owner told her that the store had record earnings last year and that this year is actually beating last year. The store is only 5 years old. We're in the suburbs and their typical customer is someone looking for a unique gift for a kid's birthday party that weekend.
That makes sense. It's not that toy stores aren't profitable, but that Toys R Us' business model and the debt that they were saddled with along with higher prices to go with it that made it untenable.

It's somewhat ironic, that in a age of big box stores where they once were taking over with local stores starting to struggle, that we're now starting to see it swing a bit in the other direction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am My wife works at a local toy store and the owner told her that the store had record earnings last year and that this year is actually beating last year. The store is only 5 years old. We're in the suburbs and their typical customer is someone looking for a unique gift for a kid's birthday party that weekend.
That makes sense. It's not that toy stores aren't profitable, but that Toys R Us' business model and the debt that they were saddled with along with higher prices to go with it that made it untenable.

It's somewhat ironic, that in a age of big box stores where they once were taking over with local stores starting to struggle, that we're now starting to see it swing a bit in the other direction.
Another thing, you don't need 15,000 SKUs for a toystore. Especially now days where kids all want the same stuff. You need a few hundred, max. They key is to keep the hot stuff in stock but also know when it's dead so you don't overbuy. Everything is a fad now days, with social media homogenizing everyone's tastes.

Our local specializes in "good quality" toys, lots of bikes, games, and Euro toys. But they always have the hot stuff to keep the doors open. Shopkins probably kept them afloat a few years ago.

I remember when I was a kid, Star Wars trading cards probably kept a lot of convenience stores deep in the black for a while.

Also, why the heck isn't this thread called "Toys Rn't Us?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's true. Plus local stores I think will be able to better take advantage of trends. Toys R Us and other big box stores tend to have doorcrashers, and sometimes you get there and they don't even have the product in store. That's what happened when my Mom was looking for something very specific that was in a flyer but didn't have in their store; didn't even bother to stock it they said. I think that smaller local stores will be able to better anticipate trends and actually reflect on them better. The local hot thing this year at Christmas were those little monkeys that sit on your finger. Toys R Us didn't have them, and I don't think had even heard of them, but the other store had a small stock that disappeared quickly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The fidget spinner fad seems to have lasted a couple of months at most.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pretty much.

Sorry, can't figure out how to imbed the graph directly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Amazon Has Considered Buying Some Toys ‘R’ Us Stores:
Bloomberg.com wrote:Amazon.com Inc. has looked at the possibility of expanding its retail footprint by acquiring some locations from bankrupt Toys “R” Us Inc., according to people with knowledge of the situation.

The online giant isn’t interested in maintaining the Toys “R” Us brand, but has considered using the soon-to-be-vacant spaces for its own purposes, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.
Makes one wonder how long it'll be before everyone is working for Amazon and paid in Amazon Scrip...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I dunno, but I feel stores have been stocking fidget spinners all over the place, most prominently close to cash registers, even up to this day. More often than not, I'll still regularly come across them in stores.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Spinner Crash of '17 wasn't all that long ago. They have them for two reasons: because they got stuck with the stock, and because parents who still think they're cool buy them for their kids.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:34 pm Amazon Has Considered Buying Some Toys ‘R’ Us Stores:
Bloomberg.com wrote:Amazon.com Inc. has looked at the possibility of expanding its retail footprint by acquiring some locations from bankrupt Toys “R” Us Inc., according to people with knowledge of the situation.

The online giant isn’t interested in maintaining the Toys “R” Us brand, but has considered using the soon-to-be-vacant spaces for its own purposes, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.
Makes one wonder how long it'll be before everyone is working for Amazon and paid in Amazon Scrip...
I suspect it will be around the time of the upcoming franchise wars in 2030. I suspect a merger with Taco Bell is coming soonish..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have some really weird feelings about this. I worked at toys r us for many years. I was there for tickle me elmo, sega genesis, math class is tough barbie, and of course, nintendo virtual boy. I built bicycles, repaired power wheels, sold collectable barbies, and spent many hours helping grandparents pick out video games.

Later I worked for Amazon when they opened a toys department, it was the first big thing after books. it was some kind of cross deal with toys r us, and then later toys r us wanted to go separate. it was pretty doomed from the beginning, an early manager went heavy into jar jar binks merchandise, and the main home page editor refused to show any violent toys. but I learned a lot about the toy buying portion of the business.

Now its weird to think that toys r u is going under and amazon wants to buy some of the stores. Are they going to sell toys there?

Its been a long time since toys r us was a "destination" for us. If we know what we want, then amazon delivers it in 2 days. if we need something last minute, there are no convenient locations, a target or fred meyer is closer and easier.

Despite being loyal to them for a long long time, I guess I am part of the reason they are going out of business. I changed, and they did not.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Amazon did not say they were going to use the stores for toys.

KB Toys announced a resurrection event coming this holiday season with a bunch of pop up locations.

Toys R Us announced their liquidation sale will start tomorrow and be quick, with many stores completely closing in 30 days or less.

On a facilities project call today, it was announced that our customer co-loc group for TRU in Wayne, NJ was whacked last week and arrangements are being made to retrieve our servers and computers.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

KB Toys is not the same as the old KB Toys. The name rights were registered by Strategic Marks LLC after TRU let them lapse.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm sure he'll be back.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Freyland wrote:I'm sure he'll be back.
I see what you did there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:59 pm KB Toys is not the same as the old KB Toys. The name rights were registered by Strategic Marks LLC after TRU let them lapse.
To me that matters not. My recollection of KB was a tiny mall store that existed only to provide a minimal selection to those too lazy to cross the parking lot to the free standing TRU. They were more expensive, I might have looked a few times but I recall buying nothing there.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Growing up in North Dakota, KB was the only toy store. I don’t think I saw a TRU until I was an adult and I’ve been in one once. But KB has many fond memories. It was the toy store.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Websites taken down.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

End of an era again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I stopped in a local TRU last week.. They had signs for up to 30% off. Most things were only 5%. I price checked some interesting things through Amazon and Amazon was still cheaper...
I'll probably stop in and see whats left when the discounts get higher..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Magic and Pokemon cards were taken back by vendors before the liquidation. The LEGO was mostly empty despite only 5% off. My kids spent what money they had on 10% off Pokemon furniture, zuru hamsters and num noms. Not really a sale, but whatever.

It was sad remembering going as a kid to the old TRU section for RPGs and computers. But frankly Target could add 3 aisles and pretty much duplicate 1/2 of everything but the large stuffies and baby toys.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, Magic cards? Those things are still being sold? I didn't think they were still around. I had a deck when I was younger, and I mostly played against my brother, but I wasn't particularly good. Later sold it to an internet friend.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:Wow, Magic cards? Those things are still being sold? I didn't think they were still around.
Not only being sold, but apparently still good money. Our local game store owner told us one time that his physical location is more of a hobby than anything. He makes the majority of his money through his online Magic card business.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, never would have thought. But then I never was all that much into it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A Beta Lotus sells for $15,000. It's like a stock market, but I sold out early.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
disarm

Post by disarm »

Punisher wrote:I stopped in a local TRU last week.. They had signs for up to 30% off. Most things were only 5%. I price checked some interesting things through Amazon and Amazon was still cheaper...
I'll probably stop in and see whats left when the discounts get higher..
I have a feeling that we won't see big discounts until after April 21st...the day that they stop accepting gift cards...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not too far from here (~30 miles), we've had a couple of attempts at game stores over the last 25 years. The RPG/wargames store ran for probably four years and shut down. The board game/RPG store ran for a few years and was barely staying afloat. They switched to being a Magic the Gathering store and they've been going strong for over a decade.

And this is in the middle of rural Indiana.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 am The LEGO was mostly empty despite only 5% off. My kids spent what money they had on 10% off Pokemon furniture, zuru hamsters and num noms. Not really a sale, but whatever.
I really want to leave notes for the people clearing the shelves during these small-time discounts informing them of the existence of Amazon.com
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am
Zarathud wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 am The LEGO was mostly empty despite only 5% off. My kids spent what money they had on 10% off Pokemon furniture, zuru hamsters and num noms. Not really a sale, but whatever.
I really want to leave notes for the people clearing the shelves during these small-time discounts informing them of the existence of Amazon.com
Do they take TRU gift cards?

I have to spend one of unknown value, likely won't make it there before Friday. The goal isn't to get cheap crap for the kids, but to just spend the gift card before it turns into a pumpkin.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

wonderpug wrote:I really want to leave notes for the people clearing the shelves during these small-time discounts informing them of the existence of Amazon.com
Amen. We hit a Toys R Us while we were out of town last weekend and everything in the store was .....wait for it.....10% OFF!!!

It was a madhouse. It looked like Black Friday in there. I'm walking around going, "Umm....I can find all of this stuff the same price or cheaper online....." We wound up walking out empty handed because I couldn't find a single "great" deal. Certainly nothing worth standing in those insane lines over.

Sale psychology is fascinating.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My 8 and 10 year old kids have no credit cards, so it's Toys R Us, Target or bust.

I am really concerned about the surge pricing on Amazon toys this Christmas. Amazon prices on the stuff kids really want goes through the roof.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:29 pm My 8 and 10 year old kids have no credit cards, so it's Toys R Us, Target or bust.

I am really concerned about the surge pricing on Amazon toys this Christmas. Amazon prices on the stuff kids really want goes through the roof.
Also check Google Shopping. Unless everyone is doing it, there's no reason to stick with Amazon if they are pulling that crap.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:13 pm
Zarathud wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:29 pm My 8 and 10 year old kids have no credit cards, so it's Toys R Us, Target or bust.

Also check Google Shopping. Unless everyone is doing it, there's no reason to stick with Amazon if they are pulling that crap.
Amazon doesn't pull that crap. The 3rd part sellers do. Stuff sold by Amazon sells out and all that is left is from the other sellers that take advantage of the rarity.

They're there right now listing a Nintendo Switch for $820, for example. You just never see them until there is no other purchasing alternative.

Plan ahead. If that doesn't work, don't chase.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Amazon enables the resellers and thus shares in the blame.

I do plan ahead. Christmas is coordinated. Grandma gets first pick of gifts, then the aunts and uncles get their choices. Santa chooses from what's left on the wish list. Toys R Us sales have saved my budget for the past 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 pm Amazon enables the resellers and thus shares in the blame.
Personally, I'd love to see them list MSRP in plain sight any time the price is listed at higher than MSRP.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just want to throw in a plug for camelcamelcamel.com for trending Amazon pricing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm Amen. We hit a Toys R Us while we were out of town last weekend and everything in the store was .....wait for it.....10% OFF!!!
Typically, you're not going to find good deals in the first weeks of a liquidation sale, based on how liquidation works. By the time these sales happen, none of the actual employees are in the store anymore and all transactions are handled by third-party companies that are hired to come in and handle all remaining assets. It's only in the final weeks of the sale that you'll find any good sales with anything resembling 50%. This is based on the experience we've had with Target and Sears closing in Canada.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm Do they take TRU gift cards?

I have to spend one of unknown value, likely won't make it there before Friday. The goal isn't to get cheap crap for the kids, but to just spend the gift card before it turns into a pumpkin.
You can exchange it here for Bed, Bath & Beyond card at about 60% value.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You're not helping, gilraen. Every time I've went to Blood Bath & Beyond with a gift card, I've walked out with crap costing 10x the value of the GC.
Spoiler:
In this case, it would amount to the price of the Margaritaville deck chair that I'd be all over if I really had that much mad money to spend frivolously.
Black Lives Matter