Another job thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Another job thread

Post by Brian »

As noted in a previous thread, the wife (Jennifer aka Crazy Lady) quit her job and took a job in the Phoenix area back in August.

We moved her down with the plan that I would stay in Omaha until I could complete work on the house and sell it and then move down to join her while continuing to work the same job from a home office.

Unfortunately, the dream job she took let her go after only a month and she had to scramble to find another job. In the meantime, my company informed me that I would likely not be authorized to home office since our new department head decided to move away from that option.

Jen quickly found another job (at only slightly less pay and not quite as "dream jobish" as the original one) but in the meantime I was growing increasingly dissatisfied with my job which wasn't helped by their decision to eliminate the possibility of home officeing. (Which makes no sense since the only thing I needed to do my job was email and an internet connection.)

So in November I decided to quit my job and move down to AZ to rejoin my wife. Probably not the wisest choice since I ended up spending the next few months unemployed and looking for a job. Things were looking pretty grim but I finally did get an interview at Go Daddy which turned into an offer. Not a GREAT offer, mind you, but enough to get me bringing in money again. The problem was that I would have to go back to doing IT/Support work and I really didn't want to do that kind of work anymore as I'd spent that last few years doing more administrative work.

Then, the same day I got the offer from Go Daddy I was called for an interview with a company that was essentially a direct competitor of my old company and they were looking to fill the exact job I had just left! I went to the interview (InSight) and met with the team and got a really positive vibe. Consequently, I turned down the offer from Go Daddy. I then received another interview request with yet another company looking to fill a similar role so went to that interview and while it went well, I was much more positive and interested in the InSight job.

An offer came from the most recent interview but I wanted to InSight job so turned that one down as well. I still had one other interview with the HR department scheduled at InSight but the woman conducting the interview came down with the flu so rescheduled for the following week.

I bet you can guess where this is going... The interview never came and they emailed me saying the position had been filled. Well fuck.

Meanwhile, while all this was going on, I was working with a local Hot Rod shop to have a new V8 motor installed in my Monza to replace the old and tired four cylinder that is currently in there. During a visit to drop off the car and a check to get the work started the owner told me that the shop manager had just quit so he was having to run back and forth between the Hot Rod shop and his roofing company.

I mentioned that I was looking for a job and BINGO! I'm the new shop manager at a custom Hot Rod shop. The pay isn't spectacular but it's close to what InSight was offering plus I get to manage a hot rod shop which is something I've long dreamt about but never actually saw something like that happening.

I've only been here two weeks so I'm still learning the ins and outs of running a shop but it's interesting work (made more so by the fact that their previous book and record keeping were pretty terrible.

Aside from having my car in the shop, current project include a 66 Ford Cobra, 78 Trans Am, two Olds Cutlass 442s, a 68 Ford Mustang, as well as a 68 Ford Falcon Futura. All in all, it's pretty neat so far.

Nothing like combining my love of classic cars with my desire to actually have an income. :)

Wish me luck and hope this continues to go well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Re: Another job thread

Post by GreenGoo »

The world is an adventure when you step out of your safe zone.

Congrats!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Congrats. Sometimes good stuff happens to good people. And some times you just get freakin lucky. :)
Black Lives Matter
Zork

Post by Zork »

Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity to tie a passion into a career.

-Zork
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hear there's a guy in Massachusetts that could be an office assistant.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm I hear there's a guy in Massachusetts that could be an office assistant wheel polisher.
Fixed it for you.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

If this dorsn’t work out I hear there are a lot of job openings in DC right now, or will be soon.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's cool when fate leads you to do something unexpectedly delightful, especially when you thought the alternative was going back to something you already know you don't like. This is a good time to take gambles like that. There are a lot of jobs in any metro area; unemployment is at or approaching historic lows. The hinterlands, like Kelricsburg, that are still not doing great probably never will.

And if it ultimately isn't for you, at least you got a new career branch. It's good to diversify.
Brian

Post by Brian »

They started the Cobra for the first time since I've been here. Sounded pretty mean. :)

I should have grabbed a video of it.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Congrats!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

That must have been stressful, though I'm glad you get to enjoy a hobby while working.
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm The hinterlands, like Kelricsburg, that are still not doing great probably never will.

And if it ultimately isn't for you, at least you got a new career branch. It's good to diversify.
Companies in my field are hiring around here, they just aren't hiring me!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 pm If this dorsn’t work out I hear there are a lot of job openings in DC right now, or will be soon.
Technically, they are all work from home jobs. Except you'll be working in a house that isn't yours. A white house.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa. That all sounds crazy. I have to believe stress levels have been through the roof, but it sounds like maybe it had an unexpectedly good ending after all. I think the smart people would say it was all serendipitous.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

Some samples of what's come in/gone out of the shop over the last couple of weeks:

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Congrats! Hope this all works out for you! :dance:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks. It's kind of a weird job. Part bookkeeper, part inventory, part salesperson, part supply and parts coordinator.

Examples: Today I took a small body panel to the local auto paint shop to get it color matched and some paint made up for a 1966 Jeep Wagoneer. I also had to track down window regulator parts for a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker (Not easy. If anybody has some parts for this car, let me know), and then I have a client looking for a 1950 Mercury coupe so I'm shopping around for one of those which, on a $15,000 budget is not easy. If we wanted a four door, no problem. I've found a dozen of those in his budget. Coupe or convertible? Not at that price buddy. Hey though, if I can put something together for this guy, I'll get a commission on it.

All this on top of trying to get records for the past year updated and entered into the computer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Try to make it as long as possible before they see your penis or experience one of your bad days.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm Try to make it as long as possible before they see your penis or experience one of your bad days.
Too late I'm afraid. The OP indicates a happy ending.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

So that White/Red Cobra in the above pictures came back into the shop for some minor adjustments and I got to drive it around a bit to test it.

While I've always liked the looks of them and thought it would be cool to have one I am now convinced that I will never own one myself even if I did win the lottery.

Hard to get in/out of and so very, very cramped once you're in the darn thing. It was difficult just keeping my feet out from under each other and I more than once tapped the brakes just trying to find room and/or a comfortable position.

Additionally, I'm taller than the windshield so the entire time I was half looking through the windshield and half looking over it.

Additionally, the chassis and suspension were so stiff that I could run over a nickle and would feel it through the car.

So, yeah, while ultimately a cool ride, this car is meant for rich masochists that are well under 6' tall. None of those apply to me so it was fun to drive in once (maybe twice if given the chance) but not something I would want to own.

With all that said, in the three or four blocks that I did drive this thing I had at least for people shout, "Nice car!" at me plus I received at least another 7 or 8 waves or thumbs up gestures. So it's the kind of thing a guy could get used to despite the inconvenience.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They don't make many sports cars for Sasquatches.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Looks like a fun place to get to work.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.