[movie] Tomb Raider 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

[movie] Tomb Raider 2018

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just came out of matinee. It's very faithful to the game. Not like must see but it's good. 6 out of 8 tentacles. Will give detailed review later.

EDIT: Okay, back at real keyboard.

The movie is heavily adapted from both the 2013 game and also cribbed the bad guys from the sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider. It managed to create a Lara Croft that made more sense. Let's just say Jolie Croft was a product of its time: fancy acrobatics gunplay with a vacuous plot. This one tried to create a bit more angst by crafting an origin story, but then the 2013 game was itself a reboot. Lara never touched a gun in this movie, just like the game. She relied almost exclusively on the climbing axe and bow/arrow.

I like the way the movie built-up Lara Croft, who started off in a MMA ring getting choked to submission, and spent much of the movie getting beat-up by various things, including the environment, then as a bicycle courier, running, but eventually gotten a lot better at fighting. The blab about Ana and Trinity was cribbed from the game sequel. The story feels tighter though, and made more sense than Lara suddenly decided to seek out the legend of Yamatai on her own with her expedition mates in the game (none of whom are in the movie). But it also made Lara a bit childish with "daddy issues".

The movie takes itself very seriously. Light moments are there, but very few in number and never really lightened the mood by much. It could use a few more jokes, IMHO.

As the game has 40-100 hours of play, and movie is only two hours, a TON of content had to be cut. You basically end up with "Lara vs. Mercs/Trinity" scenario, along with ONE major tomb raiding (and one minor). There really isn't any time to do anything else. As for the ending, let's just say it's rather reminiscent of "The Rock", albeit w/o Cage getting bombed into a dive in the San Francisco Bay.

All in all, I like it, and it's rather faithful to the game, AND it sets up the sequel movie(s) quite well. I think I can give this 6/8, as I said before.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
AWS260

Re: [movie] Tomb Raider 2018

Post by AWS260 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm it sets up the sequel movie(s) quite well.
Someone in Hollywood finally read Kasey's post.

They're making another one.
MGM has set Misha Green to write and make her feature directorial debut on the next Tomb Raider, which has Alicia Vikander set to reprise her role as Lara Croft. Green steps up here after creating and directing Lovecraft Country, the breakout HBO series that stars Jurnee Smollett, Jonathan Majors, and Michael Kenneth Williams.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is the 2018 movie available on a service? I'm pretty sure I've seen it but now I want to check it out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:09 pm Is the 2018 movie available on a service? I'm pretty sure I've seen it but now I want to check it out.
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/tomb-raider
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:09 pm Is the 2018 movie available on a service? I'm pretty sure I've seen it but now I want to check it out.
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/tomb-raider
Thanks, but after seeing those trailers it's all coming back to me. I would watch on Prime or Netflix, but if I pay I want something new.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It pops up on TNT every once in awhile (as do the Jolie TR films), and I do get sucked into it a lot when I'm surfing. It's a fun film.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Of all the Tomb Raider movies, I think I like this one the most. It's the way the character is treated, including the backstory. It feels more fleshed out in general.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti