Galaxy S9 still breaks on first drop

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Galaxy S9 still breaks on first drop

Post by Daehawk »

http://bgr.com/2018/03/19/galaxy-s9-plu ... drop-test/

In the end the video says "S9 is more durable than a S8 or a iPhone X but still breaks on the first drop.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Re: Galaxy S9 still breaks on first drop

Post by stessier »

Here's an idea - don't drop your phone on concrete from 6' up. Don't put it in a small metal box and tumble it. Don't try to bend it.

Problems solved.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm Here's an idea - don't drop your phone on concrete from 6' up. Don't put it in a small metal box and tumble it. Don't try to bend it.

Problems solved.
Sure but the S8+ is universally seen as terrible. Any validation they learned from that is nice. I had mine in a case and treated it as gently as I could. My plan was to baby it and replace it as soon as the year was up. Naturally about 2 weeks ago that plan fell apart since I was ready to swap it out. It was in the case, inside a padded *bag*, and I slipped on ice and scraped the bag on the ground a little while I recovered my balance. I didn't even drop the bag or "whack" it on the ground. Still that was enough to crack the corner of that piece of shit.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Last week I dropped my S8 1.5 feet from my hand to the sink counter top. It had a case on it. It must have grazed the side of the sink just right or something but it shattered in the middle. Glass cracked and digitizer toast. Cost of repair? $400.

Therefore I bought the damn phone out at $600 and went back to Apple. I've never had an apple phone's digitizer break, and if it does it's usually $20-$40. Ridiculous.

Done with Samsung until they make their stuff more durable or their parts more affordable.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:25 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm Here's an idea - don't drop your phone on concrete from 6' up. Don't put it in a small metal box and tumble it. Don't try to bend it.

Problems solved.
Sure but the S8+ is universally seen as terrible. Any validation they learned from that is nice. I had mine in a case and treated it as gently as I could. My plan was to baby it and replace it as soon as the year was up. Naturally about 2 weeks ago that plan fell apart since I was ready to swap it out. It was in the case, inside a padded *bag*, and I slipped on ice and scraped the bag on the ground a little while I recovered my balance. I didn't even drop the bag or "whack" it on the ground. Still that was enough to crack the corner of that piece of shit.
And the tests they do are fine to get a comparison between models. But you can't just react to the headline and say "still breaks on first drop". The thing was 6' off the ground - they are all going to break on a first drop from that height!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

In the run up to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, China had a goal of putting a [Korean cell phone manufacturer] smartphone in the hands of each of their 5 million soldiers. To accomplish such a feat, they were willing to cut many corners when it came to product cost, including forgoing solid state memory. I worked for a small "storage element" company (which couldn't be called a hard-drive company because our devices did not conform to standard transfer protocols such as IDE/ATA/SCSI, etc.) which was contracted to make such a thing possible. Our device was a 1" form-factor (25.4 × 45 × 5.4 mm). And I was the lead engineer in charge of making sure this device would pass the [cell phone manufacturer] shock requirements.

As part of that evaluation [cell phone manufacturer] provided us their own shock specifications and a decent number of mobile device shells (at varying points of functionality, as appropriate). Without geeking out too much on the level of detail, these shock requirements were rather insane:
19 drops (in varying orientations) from 1.2 m height onto a 1"-thick sheet of steel, followed by 12 drops (again in prescribed orientations) from 1.5 m height onto the same surface. I like to tell folks that over the course of this summer I had seven days off, six of which were Sundays, and one occurred on a Saturday. It was a crazy design challenge — easily the largest I've faced in my professional career — with a nutty amount of product redesigns. But by the time it was all said and done we had a working design which allowed our device to survive such a torture test reliably in twenty-of-twenty phone chassis. Well... kinda.

Turns out that the [cell phone manufacturer] phone chassis themselves could not come close to withstanding such a rigorous set of shock specifications. Certainly they were entitled to give us greater shock challenges than they actually expected their devices to withstand, but it was comical when we had to switch out shells before finishing one round of testing. When we were between batches of working phones, my team would get very creative at cobbling together from the parts available so that we could continue our work.

Long story short, [phone manufacturer] ended up not completing their design, pulled the plug on their purchase from our little company, and before too long my little start-up went belly-up and we all scattered to the winds (and I had a great story to tell in any job interview I've been in since). I always like comparing the shock specification to someone being 20 stories up a tall building, and tossing their cell phone down the stairwell, expecting it to bounce all the way to the ground floor and for it to keep working. I mean seriously, WTF?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im 6' so a drop from my shirt pocket or my hand is still going to be 4.5' - 5' . A high tech costly item like that should not break so easily and cost so much to repair. I should be able to drop it off the house with no damage like my old 1995 cell phone back then.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Planned obsolescence
For a fully modern example, consider smartphones. These handsets often get discarded after a mere couple years’ use. Screens or buttons break, batteries die, or their operating systems, apps, and so on can suddenly no longer be upgraded. Yet a solution is always near at hand: brand new handset models, pumped out every year or so, and touted as “the best ever”.
Though some of these examples of planned obsolescence are egregious, it’s overly simplistic to condemn the practice as wrong. On a macroeconomic scale, the rapid turnover of goods powers growth and creates reams of jobs – just think of the money people earn by manufacturing and selling, for instance, millions of smartphone cases. Furthermore, the continuous introduction of new widgets to earn (or re-earn) new and old customers’ dough alike will tend to promote innovation and improve the quality of products.

As a result of this vicious, yet virtuous cycle, industry has made countless goods cheap and thus available to nearly anyone in wealthy Western countries, the Far East, and increasingly so in the developed world. Many of us indulge in creature comforts unimaginable a century ago.
Oftentimes, planned obsolescence isn’t nakedly exploitative, as it benefits both the consumer and the manufacturer. Chevalier points out that companies tailor the durability of their goods per customer’s needs and expectations.
Relentless innovation and competition for market share means that the underlying technologies in smartphones, for instance, keep surging ahead, with faster processors, better cameras, and so on.
Many owners might therefore appreciate paying less for a smartphone upfront whose, say, batteries can no longer hold a useful charge in three years. “Because the technology is evolving so rapidly, many people are not going to value the extra lifespan of a more durable battery,” says Chevalier.
Why do hate jobs, Daehawk?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:27 pm Im 6' so a drop from my shirt pocket or my hand is still going to be 4.5' - 5' . A high tech costly item like that should not break so easily and cost so much to repair. I should be able to drop it off the house with no damage like my old 1995 cell phone back then.
The cell phones they make today that are like your 1995 cell phone will still survive the drop.

Dropping the S8/9 is like dropping your 1995 desktop computer from 6' - they cost about the same and survive about the same.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

If you don't want them to make phones that break so easily, don't buy a phone made of a glass sandwich. Verizon had a phone with unbreakable plastic screen in the Droid Turbo 2 but no one bought it. Specs were good and they replaced the screen for free if you did break it. Samsung has offered a more rugged version of their phone as well (the active). That didn't sell well either. People only complain about the durability of their phone after they break it. But when a new version more fragile than the one before it comes out they line up like lemmings.

And no, I don't have a durable phone. I also don't whine about it when I break one (which has happened once). I do put them in a case and add a tempered glass screen protector.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 pm Samsung has offered a more rugged version of their phone as well (the active). That didn't sell well either.
They put out an Active version of the S4. They have put out Active versions through S8, and likely will have an S9 released eventually.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anyone have experience with Samsung's J series? They appear to be good phones at great prices, and Wife is tempted to go that route (she doesn't need any advanced features), but IDK anything about them. We could each get one of the latest J's for the price of a single S8.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've had every odd version of the Galaxy through 7. Haven't busted a screen yet. For a case I use a rubber phone condom that extends about a millimeter out from the screen and that's been good enough...probably dropped them 100 times.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had an S7 for a couple of years, and a Motorola before that. I've never broken one, but then again I've never dropped one.

Since Verizon ditched their 'subsidized' trade-in program, I'll likely have the S7 for a long, long time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 pm I've had an S7 for a couple of years, and a Motorola before that. I've never broken one, but then again I've never dropped one.

Since Verizon ditched their 'subsidized' trade-in program, I'll likely have the S7 for a long, long time.
I've had my S4 for four years and am just starting to think about replacing it, mainly because it's out of storage space. Wife's is five years old. The new batteries I bought them should keep them going for a few more years if necessary. And neither one has ever broken.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 pm Samsung has offered a more rugged version of their phone as well (the active). That didn't sell well either.
They put out an Active version of the S4. They have put out Active versions through S8, and likely will have an S9 released eventually.
Yes. They did and they probably will. It will also sell like poorly because people prefer complaining about their phone being easy to break than getting a phone that's not pretty.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm Anyone have experience with Samsung's J series? They appear to be good phones at great prices, and Wife is tempted to go that route (she doesn't need any advanced features), but IDK anything about them. We could each get one of the latest J's for the price of a single S8.
My wife and I got a couple for our nephews. Haven't heard any complaints about them.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
Yes. They did and they probably will. It will also sell like poorly because people prefer complaining about their phone being easy to break than getting a phone that's not pretty.
But not poorly enough that they stop making them.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
And it will be an AT&T exclusive.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I know I'm dooming my phone to be broken by typing this, but I've had probably 7 or 8 Samsung Galaxy devices over the years. I never use a case or protective coating, and I'm a klutz who regularly drops my phone. The only time I've had a phone break is when a heavy glass Corningware lid fell about 4 feel off of a shelf onto my S8 and shattered the face (along with the lid). I can't really blame Samsung for that one.

Now, I'll bitch up a storm about their damn charger ports. I've had to switch to a wireless charging pad because those things are so fickle.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 am Now, I'll bitch up a storm about their damn charger ports. I've had to switch to a wireless charging pad because those things are so fickle.
I bought my S5 in "as is" condition from Woot, and the charging port was mostly broken from the beginning (but for $150, can't really complain).
I like my wireless chargers, though - unless my phone is dying when I'm out and about, and I can't plug it into a power bank - that sucks! I did just a wireless power bank - man, that thing is so heavy, you can use it as a weapon!

I use an AIMO mesh case and Tech Armor ballistic screen protector. Dropped my phone on the driveway and in the garage a few times, without any issues.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 am Now, I'll bitch up a storm about their damn charger ports. I've had to switch to a wireless charging pad because those things are so fickle.
I need to replace charging cables every few months. When the cables go bad (probably from stress of repeated use), all devices using micro-USB become difficult to charge, not just the phone (although the phone does seem to be more sensitive).

I don't recall having a problem with the S5 double-wide cable though. I still have a few around even though it's been nearly 2 years since we moved to the S7.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Still Loving the Moto G series. On a Moto G5s for $250. Has micro SD slot. Camera is not the best and it doesn't have nfc. Outside of that, great phone for the buck.
words
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 pm
I need to replace charging cables every few months. When the cables go bad (probably from stress of repeated use), all devices using micro-USB become difficult to charge, not just the phone (although the phone does seem to be more sensitive).

I don't recall having a problem with the S5 double-wide cable though. I still have a few around even though it's been nearly 2 years since we moved to the S7.
S7 supports wireless charging, and it sounds like you could really use it. The cheapies from Amazon work too - I keep one at the desk at work (but you do want to make sure they do the quick charging if possible).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

for charging cables,

sometime last year I started buying my cables from the brand Volutz. so far they are all still working.
we chewed though many of those weaved cords, and amazon basics, and original manufacture cables, those things all lasted only months.

but the Volutz cables are just better. and they amke a really satisfying click when the are plugged in.
When is the last time you had a usb cable click with you plugged it in?

here is a link to some of the Volutz from amazon
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm for charging cables,

sometime last year I started buying my cables from the brand Volutz. so far they are all still working.
we chewed though many of those weaved cords, and amazon basics, and original manufacture cables, those things all lasted only months.

but the Volutz cables are just better. and they amke a really satisfying click when the are plugged in.
When is the last time you had a usb cable click with you plugged it in?

here is a link to some of the Volutz from amazon
Glad to hear it! I just bought that set of cables about a month ago after the last batch of weave cords all went bad.
Black Lives Matter