USS Juneau found

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

USS Juneau found

Post by Daehawk »

Paul Allen's group found yet another lost sunken ship on St Patrick's Day. The USS Juneau is famous for the 5 Sullivan brothers dying together on it. It was 1000s of meters deep when found. 2.6 miles is stated. Thats very deep.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/ ... cific.html
Juneau was sunk on Nov. 13 1942 during the Battle of Guadalcanal. When a second torpedo hit her port side, an explosion cut the ship in half, killing most of the crew. The light cruiser sank in just 30 seconds. Around 115 of Juneau’s crew are believed to have survived the sinking, including, possibly, two of the Sullivan brothers. However, with U.S. forces concerned about the risk of further Japanese attacks, rescue efforts did not take place until eight days later. Only 10 men were rescued from the water.
Enlarge Image
Five brothers from the Sullivan family were famously lost on the USS Juneau. Their story, which attracted widespread attention, was depicted in the 1944 movie “The Fighting Sullivans.” Two USS Navy ships have been named “The Sullivans” in memory of the brothers.

The brothers wanted to serve on the same ship, despite naval policies preventing siblings from serving together.
Enlarge Image

I thought that policy was made because of them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: USS Juneau found

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:04 pm It was 1000s of meters deep when found. 2.6 miles is stated. Thats very deep.
About 4000 meters.

Good to see Allen doing these things, assuming it stays respectful.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT