Olive Garden love

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Olive Garden love

Post by Daehawk »

Just had food from Olive Garden for the first time in 15 years and I loved it. LOVED IT! Forgot how good it was. My wife was given a gift card for her birthday a couple years ago and we finally went. Still have a Red Lobster one from 4 years ago.

Anyways I got Lasagna, breadsticks, mozzarella sticks, and some kind of AMAZEBALLZ potato soup with spice Italian sausage. OMG all is amazing but that soup..my God.
Now I hear ya saying but ya its only because you haven't ate there in forever. But I loved them back then too. Such great food. We just cant afford places like OG or Applebees and such. Cheap fast food rarely is our staple thing. Get tired of canned soup and processed meats.

SOOooooooooooooo good.

Fried Mozzarella
Golden-fried mozzarella cheese, topped with an alfredo drizzle. Served with marinara sauce.
Enlarge Image

Zuppa Toscana (white left most)
Spicy Italian sausage, fresh kale and russet potatoes in a creamy broth. Made with gluten-free ingredients.
Enlarge Image

Lasagna Classico
Prepared fresh daily with layers of pasta, parmesan, mozzarella, pecorino romano and our homemade meat sauce.****Our meat sauce is made with pan-seared beef and Italian sausage.
Enlarge Image

Breadsticks!
Garlic buttered.
Enlarge Image

Cannoli Trio (bottom right)
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Re: Olive Garden love

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm on record as thinking the olive garden is one of the worst restaurant chains in existence.

It's some of the worst faux Italian prepackaged "food" out there.

Sorry. :(
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm I'm on record as thinking the olive garden is one of the worst restaurant chains in existence.

It's some of the worst faux Italian prepackaged "food" out there.

Sorry. :(
+1. Simply dreadful.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think Olive Garden is fine.

I do really like the Zuppa Toscana, though. Good stuff.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk, if you weren't a known character around these parts, I'd swear you were an ad bot. :D

I applied for an interviewed with the parent company for Olive Garden early on in my career to work as a food safety auditor. It would have involved lots of travel up and down the NE region, so it's probably best it didn't work out. But yeah, it probably would have changed everything about my career.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm It's some of the worst faux Italian prepackaged "food" out there.
+1. Simply dreadful.
+1 to the +1 ... Sorry Daehawk.

I don't have a very sophisticated pallet, and I think all their stuff tastes like it's just been reheated in a microwave. Where I work it's unfortunately a "popular" option for catered lunches. As far as free food, I don't throw it out - but I certainly don't bring it home. I haven't sat in one of their restaurants in something like 8 years, and another 14 years before that (someone insisted it had gotten better).
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I always assumed that olives grew in orchards, not gardens
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I haven't been to one in years but I actually like their food. Especially soups and salads (because of their salad dressing - which they now sell through Costco).
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had it once when I was younger and thought it was fine for inexpensive Italian. I guess my mom paid for it. A few years ago we went out for my nephew's birthday and he chose Olive Garden, so I had to go. I thought the food was okay, but was floored that the menu wasn't really inexpensive at all. I always thought it could compete in the $11 entree category, but for $20 or whatever they were charging? How dare you, sir!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I want to say I was married and with inlaws the last time I went. I never cared for the place but didn't hate it. It was sort of generic food with high prices and wine at the time, IIRC. I don't tend to go for high priced meals and when I do, I have a high price expectation. I think OtOH, my parents like to go there for senior soup and salad day for lunch for a long time precisely because of price point. I assume that went away because they stopped going as well.

I'd not object if someone wanted to go, but they idea of going on my own would never occur to me and there's no "Oh I love .... when I go to Olive Garden" and I have that at most places, where my, um, particular, nature kicks in and I find what I like and never vary. I haven't been to Red Robin in years but if I go, I'd want the Cajun Clucks. Definitely. Definitely get that Cajun Clucks are Red Robin. Even with fast food. McDonald's discontinued the two cheeseburger value meal. The last time I went it was gone. I haven't been back since... Which is good for me I guess.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have never been to an Olive Garden. Wouldn't even know where to find one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:06 pm I have never been to an Olive Garden. Wouldn't even know where to find one.
If it's a chain restaurant, you can find it in Schaumburg.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:47 pm I haven't been to one in years but I actually like their food. Especially soups and salads (because of their salad dressing - which they now sell through Costco).

Funny you mention this. They had bottles of their italian dressing on the counter but when I asked for it with the sale they had none and I had to settle for ranch. Oops forgot to add that salade.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:06 pm I have never been to an Olive Garden. Wouldn't even know where to find one.
Stick your head out of the city once in awhile. :P They can be found in just about every suburb. OK, maybe I exaggerate, but the map shows 17 in the area, including one not far from you (3555 W Addison).
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm It was sort of generic food with high prices and wine at the time, IIRC.
I could almost stomach the food, but the house wine is far worse than the box wine I drink at home. I think it's made from second-hand squeezings after Chuck is done it with it. Instead of masking the crappiness of the food, it highlights it and makes for an entirely horrifying experience.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

We don't go there by choice but I have gone occasionally as a work related gathering.

The endless soup/salad/breadsticks is their only saving grace. The salad is easy and the soup is nearly so which makes them hard to get wrong. The breadsticks are bland but you can sometimes luck out and get them hot and fresh from the oven which elevates them from tolerable to pretty good. It's a rare thing though so I never count on it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well they open at 11 and we got there at 11:30. Also strangely they let us order from both the dinner menu and the lunch one.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm Also strangely they let us order from both the dinner menu and the lunch one.
I don't think I've ever been limited to a lunch menu at a restaurant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Online it states lunch is 11am - 3pm. I was surprised. They said the only difference was dinner had a few other items like steak and that the portion sizes were larger...and more expensive.

As they bagged my order they realized they forgot to hand the guy before me his large bag of breadstix...so she gave them to me free. :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have never quite understood the Olive Garden hate. I think it directly corresponds to the ability to get better Italian food in your area. Olive Garden isn't bad, I love the 5 Cheese Lasagna, but I know a few places where for a few bucks more I can get much more flavorful Italian food. We do get a gift card for our anniversary every few years and we use it without a problem.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:20 pm
Stick your head out of the city once in awhile. :P They can be found in just about every suburb. OK, maybe I exaggerate, but the map shows 17 in the area, including one not far from you (3555 W Addison).
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm It was sort of generic food with high prices and wine at the time, IIRC.
I could almost stomach the food, but the house wine is far worse than the box wine I drink at home. I think it's made from second-hand squeezings after Chuck is done it with it. Instead of masking the crappiness of the food, it highlights it and makes for an entirely horrifying experience.
They have just opened a second one here. The original has a line every night after about 5pm. The house wine is some cheap Italian chianti usually. I too am not a fan.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I wouldn't say Olive Garden is good Italian food, but it is better than it *should* be, which is pretty horrible.

We usually don't go to the one near us though because it is constantly, inexplicably packed. Like, 30 minute wait for a table at 3:00 in the afternoon on a weekday packed, whereas most restaurants around here don't have waits except at peak times on Friday and Saturday night.

It also helps I can put out way better Italian food myself in a half an hour or so at home.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pmIt also helps I can put out way better Italian food myself in a half an hour or so at home.
Which is where it falls flat. I can prep a lasagna and some garlic bread and have leftovers for days that taste better than Olive Garden does when it comes to the table. I'm not even a good cook.
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pmIt also helps I can put out way better Italian food myself in a half an hour or so at home.
Which is where it falls flat. I can prep a lasagna and some garlic bread and have leftovers for days that taste better than Olive Garden does when it comes to the table. I'm not even a good cook.
Well, to be honest that could be said with most food that people eat out, but they eat out for more than just "the food".
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That might be why we only go out to eat things I can't do better at home. :?
Black Lives Matter

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pm It also helps I can put out way better Italian food myself in a half an hour or so at home.
This, 100%

We are also pretty loaded with good to excellent Italian joints in the area. I don't see why they need to be here, but then again, I'm also at a loss to explain why Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Papa Johns and similar ilk are here too.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I mean I know where to guess they are but I don't know of any specific locations. I have passed that one on Addison I'm sure, but never noticed it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The fried cheese sticks remind me of this story:
http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-for ... 1606122925
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm not really into Italian food, so Olive Garden has never been on my goto list but I'm not a food elitist either. I have no problem eating at a chain restaurant if I like the food. For me part of the reason is I like what I like and don't feel the need to always be discovering something new. So if someone says "Let's go to..." and I've enjoyed the food there, I'm game. I'm not going to roll my eyes and suggest we go get authentic versions of that food.

One food thing that does put me off is when the person you're with orders something completely different than what the place is known for. If we're at place known for their lamb dishes and someone orders chicken...OMG!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Brian wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm We don't go there by choice but I have gone occasionally as a work related gathering.
I went once with a group from work. It's a decent place to feed a large group with reliable food relatively cheaply, if you order a few "family platters" or whatever they call their troughs-o-food for the table.

We have a dozen authentic Italian restaurants in various price ranges within easy striking distance, and OG is not one of them.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pm It also helps I can put out way better Italian food myself in a half an hour or so at home.
This, 100%

We are also pretty loaded with good to excellent Italian joints in the area. I don't see why they need to be here, but then again, I'm also at a loss to explain why Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Papa Johns and similar ilk are here too.
Because there are so many of them I think bad pizza franchises are more of a sin. It's not like almost everybody doesn't have a couple options for pizza.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm I have never quite understood the Olive Garden hate. I think it directly corresponds to the ability to get better Italian food in your area. Olive Garden isn't bad, I love the 5 Cheese Lasagna, but I know a few places where for a few bucks more I can get much more flavorful Italian food. We do get a gift card for our anniversary every few years and we use it without a problem.
I've never really had a problem with OG. Not my favorite, but I don't mind it. It's kinda bland, but that generally describes the majority of my diet. Mrs Skinypupy worked there for a couple years as a server, and I always appreciated the free salad and breadsticks she brought home.

Oddly, I've been to "authentic" Italian restaurants in multiple large cities, and always come away wildly unimpressed. The last one I went to in downtown Boston (don't remember the name, but it was the "go to" recommendation from nearly all the locals) had the absolute worst plate of spaghetti I've ever eaten in my life. I would have much preferred Olive Garden.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We do OG for lunch about once a month, because a vegetarian co-worker comes in about once a month and she really likes the place. I can deal, because for lunch I just get soup and salad.

My kids like it and seem to choose it for "special occasion" dinners. But they mostly eat breadsticks and the potato gnocchi soup.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One food thing that does put me off is when the person you're with orders something completely different than what the place is known for. If we're at place known for their lamb dishes and someone orders chicken...OMG!
I know right!? While perusing the menu I saw they had hamburgers. I said to my wife "WTF would I go to OG and order a hamburger??" Same thing with me at a Fish place...I refuse to get chicken or a burger there either.

I did see OG has a nice bar area and some nice looking cocktails. Im a mixed drink guy so that interests me. But with $4 left on the gift card doubt Id get to go back. And to top it off I joined their email just to get a free dessert then I ran off without my coupon.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well.... I do love the ahi tuna burger at Larkburger... </ducks>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 pm The fried cheese sticks remind me of this story:
http://gawker.com/my-14-hour-search-for ... 1606122925
That's pretty awesome.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think a reason I loved the food is because I dont get Italian food other than $3 frozen pizza. I cant afford to make it at home and places like OG are VASTLY overpriced to us. Im not lying when I say me and my wife eat one main item a day and a lot of times its a can of condensed soup we share that day. So getting to eat food at OG is a luxury. My friend came by and thought it was amazing Im so trim because all I do it sit at the computer playing games ALL the time and eat whatever I have and dont exorcise. Well not having food is my secret. Anyone can do it. We have to.:)

That soup I got is one of if not the best soup Ive ever tasted. No exaggeration and not a paid spokesperson lol. Its SO good and perfectly spiced. I pretty much hate potato soup yet I love this so much.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A jar of Prego and a box of spaghetti will feed 4 people generously for $2.50. Not that I'm a fan of Prego or comparing it to OG, but pasta dishes are among the cheapest things you can make at home, especially if you don't use meat.

Now I want to go out for toasted ravioli tonight.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just made fettuccine pesto with fresh basil and olive oil and cheese I grated. It was heaven in the mouth and *much* cheaper than any restaurant. Took me about 20 minutes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm I have never quite understood the Olive Garden hate. I think it directly corresponds to the ability to get better Italian food in your area.
Probably. I find the responses in threads like this kind of humorous, as OO's demographic (which seems to be largely urban/suburban and moderately well off) shows.

There is one in Terre Haute, about 30 miles from here. For most people, it, along with Red Lobster, is considered a high-end 'fancy' restaurant. People get dressed up to go there and consider it a special occasion. I haven't eaten there in decades, as it is way, way too expensive for me. Of course, I don't eat out much at all because of the price. I could eat at home for two days for what most fast food meals cost. Going to Olive Garden with both kids costs about the same as what my grocery budget is for all three of us for an entire week.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have no grocery budget this week so I win :P My bank cards ...one had $5 today and the other had $9 but I spent that one on my medicine and 2 of the other for a beer to help my kidney stone and $1.50 to air up a bad tire that goes flat in 4 days. That leaves...maybe $2 is Im lucky for groceries until our money goes in on the 3rd of next month. Have to keep a buck or two in there to keep the account open.

this OG will do 3 days then we have a can of cream of mushroom, a can of sirloin burger soup, can of ravioli, 1 frozen dinner, half gal of milk, as much tea as I have 1 bag of sugar for and a loaf of bread. Thats 13 days away . Going to be another interesting end of the month.

EDIT: And they say we dont qualify for food stamps.