MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by Lorini »

Yes this is a duplicate, but I want a fresh thread, makes it much easier for a new person to follow.

Watch this first!

First time in 50 years that all teams play on opening day. The season is starting in March as the players' union wants more days off.

Dodgers and Astros are favored to repeat in the World series as neither lost major pieces last year (sorry naednek). For me the most interesting team will be the Yankees with both Judge and Staunton and a new manager.

As previously mentioned, hopefully the Giants will at least be in the discussion but on paper they don't look to be and losing MadBum yet again doesn't help.

Cubs got the best FA pitcher during the off season, let's see if they can get him not to tip his pitches.

Angels with Ohtani and Trout should be at least good to watch, I'm looking forward to it.

The day is finally here, I'm so excited!!!
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ian Happ of the Cubs homered on the first pitch of the MLB season.

Good omen for the Cubs!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I like the idea of all teams starting on opening day. Why drag the opening couple of days out with just a few games each?

I thought I read somewhere that they wanted to add in more double headers as well. Of course they would be treated as separate events.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm Ian Happ of the Cubs homered on the first pitch of the MLB season.

Good omen for the Cubs!
Agreed. Woo!

Also, not all teams will play today.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

No, but in past years there would have been maybe 3-4 games on opening day. Also starting on a Thursday is unique as all teams will probably play on the weekend.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm Ian Happ of the Cubs homered on the first pitch of the MLB season.

Good omen for the Cubs!
Agreed. Woo!

Also, not all teams will play today.
They were all scheduled to play today, but two games have been rained out, so only 26 of 30 will actually play.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm hesitant about jinxing it by talking about it too soon, but I can't help myself. At their current pace, the Cubs would finish the year 162-0, which would probably be a record (maybe Isg could fact check that).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:13 pm I'm hesitant about jinxing it by talking about it too soon, but I can't help myself. At their current pace, the Cubs would finish the year 162-0, which would probably be a record (maybe Isg could fact check that).
Would have been better to do the math after the first pitch--would have worked out to this first game never ending and the Cubs leading indefinitely with infinite points to Miami's zero.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

117 wins would put you above the 116-36 record of the 1906 Cubs. It would take 124 wins to beat their percentage.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Me thinks you are reading the omens wrong. This is the Cubs, and even though the streak is over, it's far more likely that the take-away is they will ONLY win games where Happ leads off with a home run.

Trivia question: Name the sports caster who typically after opening day would say or post a graphic that said "0-162 still possible".
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The Red Sox bullpen blew a 4-0 lead in the 8th. Figures.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Man, Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez together in the Jays' TV booth again. All I need is to hear this, and I'd be a kid again:

Those were some of their franchise-worst seasons, but how I miss those years.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I wondered what happened to Shulman. The new play by play guy in the ESPN booth doesn't seem nearly as good. I do like A-Rod there though, he had some good input.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

You ok Lorini? Don't Panik

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:17 am You ok Lorini? Don't Panik

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I am Paniking :D
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What goes around comes around naednek, just sayin'. What happened to Panik??? :)
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's almost like having a good manager matters. Hmm... :lol: 7-1 start for the Mets. I thought they had a decent team going in, but you never know. If we can avoid the 9,000 injuries I think that we easily could grab the wildcard.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bochy lost 99 games last year and he's arguably the best manager in baseball...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 pm What goes around comes around naednek, just sayin'. What happened to Panik??? :)
BAM WALK OFF HR
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah we suck big time, I dunno, we are just bad. Hill giving up three runs is what doomed us, he should know we have no serious offense. Our 2-5 are hitting under .100, it's just pitiful.

*Check your Steam library :)
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

hey sending me games isn't going get me to convert to dodger blue. :P

Thank you! I'll have to try it out today.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 am hey sending me games isn't going get me to convert to dodger blue. :P

Thank you! I'll have to try it out today.
DAMN!!! Will have to reconsider strategy :).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

We can only win on Sundays clearly :(
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One day y'all will respect Puig.

It's unknown how many runs he saves as players simply don't try to run against him but the Dodgers appreciate his defense big time.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Someone donated 3 Lower Box Seats tickets to the Giants vs Dodgers game on April 28th to Make A Wish Northern California Chapter. They called me and asked if Ethan would be interested in going. Ummm yes! I had to promise to Erin that I will be nice to Dodger fans when at the game.

I'll just stick to my usual facebook shaming :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

When Baseball is worthy of the Onion:
Frustrated with the level of play he has encountered during his first week of competition in the American major leagues, Japanese baseball phenom Shohei Ohtani told reporters Monday that he’d hoped American players wouldn’t be this bad.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's to the point where I don't even pay attention to baseball 'phenoms'. What happens when he can't hit the xyz pitch? It's something that seems to happen to all the phenoms except Trout. And what happens when they figure out his go-to pitch? Like they did with Kershaw for a number of his early years, dude didn't used to be able to get past 5 innings before blowing up.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You make an offering to Jo-Bu and threaten to abandon him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

9-1! Geez... And their starting pitching hasn't even been that great. Best start in franchise history.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 am 9-1! Geez... And their starting pitching hasn't even been that great. Best start in franchise history.
:jelly:
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 pm It's to the point where I don't even pay attention to baseball 'phenoms'. What happens when he can't hit the xyz pitch? It's something that seems to happen to all the phenoms except Trout. And what happens when they figure out his go-to pitch? Like they did with Kershaw for a number of his early years, dude didn't used to be able to get past 5 innings before blowing up.
That takes all the fun out of it. Enjoy the ride while it lasts, and then remember it fondly. Besides, sometimes it works out in the long run. People thought the league had figured out Judge last year, but then he came on strong again at the end of the year. Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant are former phenoms (both rookies of the year, both early MVPs) who have kept on playing at high levels. Plus what Ohtani is doing has the unique twist that he's doing it as both a pitcher and a hitter/fielder. Brooks Kieshnick notwithstanding, we really haven't seen too many instances of someone performing at a high level in both roles.
Octavious wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 am 9-1! Geez... And their starting pitching hasn't even been that great. Best start in franchise history.
I look forward to the first Mets 3 game losing streak where you pine for the manager to be fired and half the team to be traded. ;)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol: Terry was seriously bad. I generally don't ride managers THAT hard. I'll be happy if they slot into a WC this season. RIght now though they are freaking killing it. 10-1 :horse:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

11-1. This is getting ridiculous. :lol:

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

All the Dodgers do is lose games while assuring the fans that they will turn it around somehow.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh looks like Harvey might have killed the streak. Oh well.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm All the Dodgers do is lose games while assuring the fans that they will turn it around somehow.
You know it's gonna be a long season when the Padres start 0-4 and pass you at 6-10.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Cubs scored NINE runs yesterday in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs. They won 14-10.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Another big loss. Starting pitcher Hill gives up 7 runs.

Also when is a home run not a home run? when it's a two run single. Baseball is a weird sport, just sayin'.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:24 am The Cubs scored NINE runs yesterday in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs. They won 14-10.
They also scored those nine runs on only three hits. I had the game on in the background while playing with the kiddos. It was awesome (and I was very glad not to be in the stands).