MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Biyobi

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by Biyobi »

Lorini wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 pm Well on Kershaw's first outing back, his back tightened up on him. Oh goody.
Ah, that's what happened. I was at the game tonight and wondered why they pulled him.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's very likely he's going back to the DL, but there'll be an MRI today and then they'll know.

One does wonder if they'll let him walk if he opts out at the end of the season.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dodgers putting lots of pressure on the Giants, Rockies, and Dbacks, even without a starting rotation. It's amazing!!

Also Matt Kemp is the BOMB!! Geez they told him he probably wouldn't make the team and now if he keeps it up he'll certainly be comeback player of the year, not to mention National League MVP.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Dodgers putting lots of pressure on the Giants, Rockies, and Dbacks, even without a starting rotation. It's amazing!!

Also Matt Kemp is the BOMB!! Geez they told him he probably wouldn't make the team and now if he keeps it up he'll certainly be comeback player of the year, not to mention National League MVP.
Have you looked at the Giants rotation this year?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How many starters do you have still pitching from April 1? We have exactly one, Alex Wood, and he's been terrible. Kershaw, Ryu, Maeda, and Hill are all on the DL.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, MadBum hasn't pitched, Cueto has been out for almost 2 months, Shark missed the start of the season and is back on the DL, and our opening day starter just got optioned to the minors. And last year's closer hasn't pitched yet.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Both our teams are 2.5 back, so obviously starting pitching doesn't mean much :)
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Remember when the Mets had a team? I feel bad for deGrom, he's have a career year and the Mets blow every one of his games.

1.49 ERA and only 4 wins in 12 starts. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No love for Javy being Javy yet again?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Anyone know why the players (or at least some players) are wearing Jackie Robinson's 42 today?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'd guess it's because the teams playing were rained out on Jackie Robinson day, so they carried the uniforms into the make up day.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:15 am I'd guess it's because the teams playing were rained out on Jackie Robinson day, so they carried the uniforms into the make up day.
The Cubs did that earlier this year in that Braves makeup game.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks, that makes sense.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We're heading to Wrigley tomorrow for my first in person Cubs game in a few years. My oldest has been to a couple of games, but this will be new for the twins (who are about a month shy of four years old). For some reason, the little ones are infatuated with Javier Baez. Every time they see a Cubs player they ask, "Is that Javy Baez?" My heart about jumped out of my chest when he went diving into the stands to catch a foul pop up in the ninth inning of a not close loss last night - if he gets hurt or doesn't play on Thursday, they'll be devastated. They're going to Wrigley to see the Cubs and Javy Baez, as they tell us.

P.S. Tickets are way too fucking expensive, even for a mid-week day game against a non-division opponent.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am
P.S. Tickets are way too fucking expensive
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Did you get them off of the ESPN vivid seating ticket agency? Much cheaper there, at least for Dodger games. I'll never get tickets directly from the MLB again.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have to get the special ADA seating for my oldest son's wheelchair, and I just kind of assumed I needed to get it from the Cubs directly. I'm guessing resellers don't buy ADA seats.

I should probably double check that going forward, though.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:34 pm Did you get them off of the ESPN vivid seating ticket agency? Much cheaper there, at least for Dodger games. I'll never get tickets directly from the MLB again.
That's because it's a Dodger's game, not the agency...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

HAHA. I can get cheap tickets for the Dodgers-Giants game for next weekend too so there.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Woman catches baseball in her beer glass. Chugs the beer.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

And Budweiser gave her tickets to another game (with a beer included).

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Saw a guy in the corner seats, about 15 rows up, do that at a GLI hockey game at Joe Louis Arena about twenty years ago. He strutted his beer-avec-puck for about 2 seconds before he downed his 16 oz'er (minus some pucksplash), also in about 2 seconds. The crowd went apeshit (and appropriately so). Not sure which I'd consider more sanitary, a baseball or a hockey puck. (Either way, I'd chug.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The pucks are frozen, at least.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am

P.S. Tickets are way too fucking expensive, even for a mid-week day game against a non-division opponent.
I'm down to 1 or 2 Sox games a year and whatever Cubs games I get offered.

For the Sox I just buy the Scout Seats. If I'm going to drop money on a game, I might as well enjoy it. All you can eat/ drink is a nice bonus. When it's prime rib and Jameson, well...oh wait, there's a baseball game going on too?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interesting look at the Angles ~6 man rotation this year.
With the season just past its one-third point, the Angels’ rotation ERA (3.58) ranks third in the league, behind only the Houston Astros (2.83) and Cleveland Indians (3.54). Since May 1, the Angels starters have a 2.61 ERA, which is best in the league.

“I don’t think you could look at this last month and think we could pitch any better from the starting rotation,” manager Mike Scioscia said. “Some of these guys are getting a little more rest. At times they are going on normal rest. I think it’s going to be a bigger plus as we move deeper into the season.”

The Angels are the only team in the majors with five starters who have made seven starts with an ERA of 3.50 or better.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RIP Red Schoendienst
In total, Mr. Schoendienst wore the “birds on the bat” for more than 60 years, with the highlight coming in 1989 when he was elected by the Veterans Committee to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., joining his longtime friend, roommate and teammate Musial...

...“Red was one of the greatest Cardinals of all time, and a beloved member of the Cardinals organization for over six decades,” said Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. in a statement.

“His influence on this organization cannot be overstated. Red was a great player, a great manager and a wonderful mentor to countless players, coaches and members of the front office. He was also a fan favorite who connected with millions of Cardinals fans across multiple generations. He will be sorely missed.”

Dal Maxvill, the shortstop on the World Series teams of 1967-68 and later a coach with Mr. Schoendienst and then the Cardinals general manager, put it simply, but perhaps the best: “He was one of those guys,” said Maxvill, “where you never heard anybody say anything bad about him. There’s not too many people like that.”

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Despite living only a few miles away, it's been a few years since I've been to Wrigley (or even to the Wrigleyville neighborhood). Holy crap has it changed. I don't know that it's changed for better or for worse, but it's definitely different. So many new buildings and restaurants. Wrigley used to be a ballpark oddly dropped into the middle of a residential neighborhood - now it's the centerpiece of a baseball themed zone.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. We managed to get parking for a mere $50, and then enjoyed lunch at one of the new restaurants. (Hipster tacos at Big Star. Did the twins eat any of their chicken tacos despite emphatically asking for them? They did not.) Our seats were great - almost directly behind home plate about halfway up the stands. We're at the very back of the section and in front of the aisle where they can put wheelchairs and folding chairs, so the only minor negative was that a lot of people would stop directly behind us to take pictures with the scoreboard in the background. How gauche. Anyway, here's a picture of my family with the scoreboard in the background:

Javy Baez played, but didn't do much offensively. The Cubs starter managed to go fewer than 5 innings despite only surrendering 1 run on 4 hits and over 100 pitches because he walked 7, but the bullpen did a decent job and the Cubs won 4-3 to pull out the series win over the Phillies. We stayed for singing "Go Cubs Go!" and then hightailed it out of there.

It was a little brisk due to the wind blowing in and us being in the shade the whole game, but everyone had a lot of fun. Now to go see about getting a third mortgage on the house . . . .
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Looks and sounds like a fantastic day at the park! Congrats. :D
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Great day for a game.

My parents grew up in the neighborhood and with be back in a few weeks. They want to take in a game and I bet they will be shocked at what it looked like now.

My mom will do the same thing with the chicken tacos.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am My mom will do the same thing with the chicken tacos.
The problem was that the chicken was cooked/pre-sauced with the mole, and the twins would prefer theirs plain. Fortunately we were able to audible to split an off-menu quesadilla for them (along with chips and guac, of course).

I was actually very impressed with the operation at Big Star. It's huge (much bigger than the original Wicker Park location), so we were able to get in right away even though it was about 11:30 on a game day. They get the food out *fast* so that you can rush if you want to get to the ballpark, but they never made us feel rushed to open up the table. The food seemed the same quality as at the original location, too. Recommended.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 am The Cubs starter managed to go fewer than 5 innings despite only surrendering 1 run on 4 hits and over 100 pitches because he walked 7,
Oh, Tyler Chatwood, how you still have no control.

Looks like you had a great time, at least! I'm going to my first Cubs game at Wrigley since 1999 in a couple of months, and I'm very much looking forward to it. They're playing the Nats, so my friend who's going with me won't hate the fact that he's going with me to a Cubs game so much. Then again, we're doing the White Sox game that night, too, so we're each tolerating the other's favorite team for a day.

I also have seats for the Home Run Derby and the MLB All Star Game next month. I'm right in prime Bryce Harper home run territory for the Derby.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yet another starting pitcher down. The last one didn't make it through the national anthem yesterday. This one made it through four innings, a miracle.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The pitching lineup for the Dodgers next seven games

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

and Miggie is done for the year. I really wish they would have traded him last year or in the off season. He has been great for the team but he had obviously broken down and whatever they could have gotten for him wouold have been better than nothing. Would have loved to see both he and Victor Martinez out and have kept JD. Oh well. Half-assed rebuild for the ummm......loss? Sigh.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I was really sorry to hear that about Miggy, he's been a fan favorite in the past right? I watched the Tigers/Yankees series recently and the Tigers seemed pretty good.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

sigh. hate it when i can't post my favorite meme
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's a good thing. No worries, our starter today sucks so your team should get plenty of runs. I will say though that the bullpen is relatively rested so if he blows up Roberts may have a quick hook.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

See? I told ya :) Plus the offense went to sleep but they didn't start Matt Kemp and that was probably why.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

In the next 11 days we play the Cubs 7 times and tomorrow we play them twice, can't wait :).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter