MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by ImLawBoy »

I enjoyed (most of) Dusty's time as manager of the Cubs, and I think he gets a bum rap in some areas. That said, he's a notorious curmudgeon and old schooler (he famously said he didn't like the emphasis on walks because they clog up the bases), and I'd take anything he says with respect to technology with a grain of salt.

Regarding the third time through the lineup theory, it needs to be put in an individual context, I think. Pulling your starter who is pitching effectively for a reliever may not make sense, because the starter's third-time-through-the-lineup efficiency (TTTLE - I just made up a new fancy stat!) might be better than whatever reliever is available today.

On a side note, do you subscribe to The Athletic? Do you find it worthwhile?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

In interesting waiver claim news, apparently the Brewers have a claim in on Matt Harvey of the Reds. They have until 1:30 EDT to agree to terms. Of course, Harvey is scheduled to pitch against the Cubs at 2:20 EDT today. Gosh, I'd hate for this to be a distraction for the Reds. ;)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I LOVE The Athletic. It has the perfect blend of deep(er) information and great writing. I dumped my ESPN Insider sub, The Athletic is just so much better.

Here's a code for 25% off. I get an Amazon gift certificate if you use it.

Let me know if you decide to use it and it works, I haven't used it before.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am On a side note, do you subscribe to The Athletic? Do you find it worthwhile?
I subscribe and find it's worth the money - they've got Joe Posnanski as well as Rany writing about the Royals. I'm sure they have a few writers dedicated to the Cubs - they added a guy previously with the KC Star to write about KC.

Too bad it's been the kind of season I don't want to read about. :doh:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Harvey will stay with the Reds.

Lorini, thanks for the link. I haven't decided if I will subscribe yet, but I'll use your link if I do.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Geez I've been paying so little attention this year that I didn't see that Murphy was traded until today. I also didn't realize how far back the Nats were in the standings. :shock: 10-1 odds the Mets sign Murphy back next year right when he will start his inevitable decline. It's what we do. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am I LOVE The Athletic. It has the perfect blend of deep(er) information and great writing. I dumped my ESPN Insider sub, The Athletic is just so much better.

Should have kept your Insider sub, as you would be getting ESPN+ to go along with it!

I subscribe to The Athletic and I enjoy it, though I mostly focus on teams and writers I care about rather than the full barrage of options they have.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am I LOVE The Athletic. It has the perfect blend of deep(er) information and great writing. I dumped my ESPN Insider sub, The Athletic is just so much better.

Should have kept your Insider sub, as you would be getting ESPN+ to go along with it!

I subscribe to The Athletic and I enjoy it, though I mostly focus on teams and writers I care about rather than the full barrage of options they have.
I did the trial for ESPN+ and didn't see anything that I was interested in so no loss in my books :).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:59 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 pm Oh, and Darvish is done for the year, and Addison Russell was scratched from tonight's lineup with a sore right shoulder. Not great, but the latter is probably just a pretense for putting him on the DL to make room for Murphy until the September roster expansion.
And there it is. Russell to the DL.
His WABoB is like 1.2 so they just got much better.
I just decided to find out what specifically you were talking about here.

Nice.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm Should have kept your Insider sub, as you would be getting ESPN+ to go along with it!
I just checked into this as Katie Nolan is starting her new show on ESPN+ in the next week. On 8/28, Insider and ESPN+ will merge and subscribers will have access to both for no added cost. Right now, you can still sign up for ESPN Insider for $39.99/year while ESPN+ costs $49.99/year (and the combined service will cost $49.99/year). So if you are thinking of doing it, sign up before 8/28 for Insider and get both at a reduced cost!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So here's a fun fact out of Baltimore...

From Mark Viviano (local sportscaster):

With 35 gms left, Manny Machado still has O’s “Triple Crown” despite July 18 trade.
Machado 24 HR w O’s
(Mancini, Trumbo 17 HR)
Machado 65 RBI w O’s
(Jones 49 RBI)
Machado .315 BA w O’s
(Jones .281 BA)
Can Machado be Most Valuable Oriole...while a Dodger?

And the team is down in game 1 of a doubleheader against the Yankees 7-2 in the fourth. Fun times! :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's always a fun time when it's the third inning and *the bullpen* has thrown 46 pitches...
Enlarge Image
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

WOW We swept one of the worst teams in the league! Then we might even sweep another bad team. But then we'll probably get hammered by the DBacks later in the week. The 'best closer in baseball' seems to have a penchant for giving up 9th inning home runs. At least Roberts had the sense to bench him for a game. Jansen has to understand that he’s not owed anything except money.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I understand the analytics part as regards to starters, however I have never heard anyone explain the analytics of relievers and how being used the way they are by teams like the Dodgers pays works. You have to be very strong all thru your bullpen to survive a season of using the bullpen 3-4 innings every game. And nothing changes so much season to season as a teams bullpen.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am I enjoyed (most of) Dusty's time as manager of the Cubs, and I think he gets a bum rap in some areas. That said, he's a notorious curmudgeon and old schooler (he famously said he didn't like the emphasis on walks because they clog up the bases), and I'd take anything he says with respect to technology with a grain of salt.

Our guide in Montana also guides for Baker, who likes to fish during the all star break (silver lining to the Nats' futility?). He was telling us that once he took Baker on the river and a few hours in they found a baseball in about 2 feet of water. Like the middle of nowhere. Baker didn't believe it and thought the guide planted it or something. When they pulled it out of the water, it had a logo from a minor league team (or JC team, can't remember) with a ballpark several miles upriver. Apparently home runs sometimes go in the water at that park.

Clearly a sign from the baseball gods. To keep fishing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bet stessier is freaking out right about now.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... ller-lunch

Enlarge Image

$70 for eggs, meat, and salad
$72 for pancakes and salad

Breakfast for 2 before tip is my monthly food budget.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

He shoulda paid it!!!

:D
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm I understand the analytics part as regards to starters, however I have never heard anyone explain the analytics of relievers and how being used the way they are by teams like the Dodgers pays works. You have to be very strong all thru your bullpen to survive a season of using the bullpen 3-4 innings every game. And nothing changes so much season to season as a teams bullpen.
Analytics say to match up with relievers, so that's what the Dodgers do. It's all about the lefty/righty matchups. Until you get to the 8th, where you use your 2nd best overall reliever to 'set up' for the closer.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:09 am
Scuzz wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm I understand the analytics part as regards to starters, however I have never heard anyone explain the analytics of relievers and how being used the way they are by teams like the Dodgers pays works. You have to be very strong all thru your bullpen to survive a season of using the bullpen 3-4 innings every game. And nothing changes so much season to season as a teams bullpen.
Analytics say to match up with relievers, so that's what the Dodgers do. It's all about the lefty/righty matchups. Until you get to the 8th, where you use your 2nd best overall reliever to 'set up' for the closer.
Also since the top of the order is generally the best hitters, probably best to start the game with stronger 1 or 2 inning pitchers (that match up well on righty/lefty). Then in about the third inning (or so) you can bring in your 'starter', and see how much you can get out of them. Also helps avoid your starter going through the lineup a third time (which tends to produce problems).
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... ller-lunch

Enlarge Image

$10 for cranberry without Vodka? Criminal. I know the idea is to keep it the riffraff but still. That whole bill is crazy. Makes high tea at the Peninsula look like a steal.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... ller-lunch

Enlarge Image

$10 for cranberry without Vodka? Criminal. I know the idea is to keep it the riffraff but still. That whole bill is crazy. Makes high tea at the Peninsula look like a steal.

He should also lay off the lattes. I know Bauer and Sale are out but the Cy Young is still a long shot.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Enlarge Image

I paid $300 for a steak once.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 am

Enlarge Image

I paid $300 for a steak once.
Once!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I would do it again too because holy fuck was it good.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I once paid $100 for a Piedmont something something steak. A meal for two cost me close to $300, and nope. I did $100 a plate off a pre selected VD menu once, and nope. I'd say you can keep it all but....

OtOH, I twice paid $50 for a rare 8 oz Filet Mignon that I could cut with a fork and I would do that every localish special occasion for the rest of my life if they hadn't closed down. A little place called Red Oaks, one of those wood burning places, before that was a thing (early 90s) and they made me not want to be such a cheap ass. $50? (early 90s money) 8oz? a la carte? Sign me up. So good... So good I didn't hoover my food (which is the only way I know how to eat) because at $6.25 an ounce I'm going to cry when they plate is empty.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Really good theatheltic.com article about Daniel Murphy joining the Cubs and how a lesbian felt about it. It's behind a paywall so no link provided. But if you do have an theathletic.com sub I'd recommend the read.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sitting off the first base, club level at Petco Park for the Padres-Rockies game. A tri-tip bbq sandwich from Seaside Market and a Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Five errors in one game with three coming from the 3rd baseman is certainly a notable experience.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:57 am Five errors in one game with three coming from the 3rd baseman is certainly a notable experience.
And the mighty Padres prevailed!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:11 pm Really good theatheltic.com article about Daniel Murphy joining the Cubs and how a lesbian felt about it. It's behind a paywall so no link provided. But if you do have an theathletic.com sub I'd recommend the read.
I feel like I don't know something. Why would I care what a lesbian thinks about Daniel Murphy joining the Cubs?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:57 am Five errors in one game with three coming from the 3rd baseman is certainly a notable experience.
And the mighty Padres prevailed!
They did. I went in blind, not expecting a team that was worse than the Rangers.

I’m 2-0 on games I’ve attended this year. Perhaps someone should gift me season tickets.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:53 pm I’m 2-0 on games I’ve attended this year. Perhaps someone should gift me season tickets.
For years, I went to 1 or 2 Bears games per year, and even with dismal teams, they always won (at home, anyway...I had to go up to Green Bay to see them lose). Then in 1985 I was offered a season ticket and jumped at it.

You'd have thought after that the McCaskey's would have offered me a permanent seat in their skybox.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Michael Kopech torn UCL. Tommy John and no 2019 season.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hey MadBum if you're going to drill somebody, how about not giving up a grand slam right after??? Too funny! :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I hope you Cubs fans are happy!!! naednek's favorite player took the Cards on a helluva ride!!! (I'm not sure if they appreciated it though).
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Red Sox had a banner printed up for AL East Champs. It fell off the truck and two guy found it. They made a video with it trying to shake down the team. It is pretty epic.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:26 pm It is pretty epic.
I think it's just an excuse to hear "pa'k" and "ca'" over and over again. I was surprised they didn't work in "ya'd"