MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pm In the next 11 days we play the Cubs 7 times and tomorrow we play them twice, can't wait :).
Cubs took 2 of the first 3. We were one out away from a clean sweep, but LordMortis' friend Justin Wilson blew the save when Brendan Morrow, the regular closer who the Cubs signed from LA in free agency) injured his back and went to the DL taking off his pants. Jon Lester is having a phenomenal year, turning back into the ace of the staff. He pitched 7 shutout innings (aided by some phenomenal defense) to lower his ERA to 2.10.

But looking beyond the Cubs and Dodgers for a moment, holy hell Mike Trout. In his last 8 games, he's had 37 plate appearances and reached base 29 times. He's got a .696 batting average over that stretch plus 11 walks, a HBP, and a reach on catcher's interference. At some point is he just going to get bored of the game and move on to something that actually challenges him?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 pm naednek you need to get smarter pitchers. Just sayin
no loss. The guy blows. He tried his hardest to blow the last world series
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am My mom will do the same thing with the chicken tacos.
The problem was that the chicken was cooked/pre-sauced with the mole, and the twins would prefer theirs plain. Fortunately we were able to audible to split an off-menu quesadilla for them (along with chips and guac, of course).

I was actually very impressed with the operation at Big Star. It's huge (much bigger than the original Wicker Park location), so we were able to get in right away even though it was about 11:30 on a game day. They get the food out *fast* so that you can rush if you want to get to the ballpark, but they never made us feel rushed to open up the table. The food seemed the same quality as at the original location, too. Recommended.

Was right about mom. She was like, "don't you just have plain beef and cheese?" Managed to get her to try the fish and she liked it.

Totally wrong about the kiddo. She has a new favorite (the aforementioned off-menu quesidillas with the mole chicken).
Enlarge Image

My baseball soul hurts though:
Enlarge Image
*Shudder*

The whole area is very different. Was reminiscing with a friend who used to chase home run balls up and down Waveland with the ballhawks. I'd meet him after work and hear his days storys if it was a day game or hang out and chase baseballs with him if it was an afternoon or night game. Those days are gone for sure. Now we can maybe hope to host a corporate event somewhere in the complex.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 pm My baseball soul hurts though:
Enlarge Image
*Shudder*
Suitable for framing. I love it!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pm In the next 11 days we play the Cubs 7 times and tomorrow we play them twice, can't wait :).
Cubs took 2 of the first 3. We were one out away from a clean sweep, but LordMortis' friend Justin Wilson blew the save when Brendan Morrow, the regular closer who the Cubs signed from LA in free agency) injured his back and went to the DL taking off his pants. Jon Lester is having a phenomenal year, turning back into the ace of the staff. He pitched 7 shutout innings (aided by some phenomenal defense) to lower his ERA to 2.10.

But looking beyond the Cubs and Dodgers for a moment, holy hell Mike Trout. In his last 8 games, he's had 37 plate appearances and reached base 29 times. He's got a .696 batting average over that stretch plus 11 walks, a HBP, and a reach on catcher's interference. At some point is he just going to get bored of the game and move on to something that actually challenges him?
Lester's BAPIP was not good but the Cubs D was stellar. Can't wait for the (more) home run friendly confines of Dodger Stadium!!!

Trout is awesome, rumor is that if the Angels don't make the playoffs before his free agency he is gone. Which I can't blame him. He loses money not going to the playoffs and unlike sports like the NBA, he can't do a LeBron and carry the Angels. He simply needs a better team to shine.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So I miss my son's Twitch streaming to watch this shitty game. Dumb, won't do again.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Tigers pitching coach Chris Bosio fired for calling black employee a monkey. Sorry no link but the article that I read is behind a paywall.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

He claimed he was calling one of the (white) pitchers "Spider Monkey", which was his nickname, and that the employee overheard and misunderstood.

Unfortunately for Bosio, the pitcher denied ever having the nickname Spider Monkey.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadspin
Bosio told USA Today that he had referred to Tigers pitcher Daniel Stumpf, a white guy, as a “spider monkey” while talking with some other coaches, and that a black clubhouse attendant had overheard the comment and mistakenly concluded that it was directed at him. The Athletic has since spoken to four different sources to dispute Bosio’s version of events. From their story:
Bosio called the attendant, who is African-American, a “monkey,” according to four team sources. The remark was directed toward the young man, who was collecting towels from the coaches’ room at the time, during a post-game gripe session in which Bosio was lamenting about a pitcher.

During this exchange, Bosio made a derogatory comment about one of the Tigers pitchers and then gestured toward the attendant before adding, “like this monkey here,” the sources said. The attendant pushed back at Bosio for the comment, and an additional team employee witnessed the exchange. Bosio was provided an opportunity to apologize to the attendant after his outburst but declined to do so, according to multiple sources.
So now we know that Chris Bosio is a racist and a liar.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Cubs need to make a call to the minors. Probably their best dude in the minors is hitting .500, with half of his hits being home runs. Sure, it's AA, but still.

#FreeKrisBryant

(Welcome back, old friend.)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meanwhile, remember when the Cubs would have to trade Kyle Schwarber to an AL team because he wasn't good enough behind the plate to catch and he was a defensive liability in the outfield? Well, don't look now.
Joe Posnanski wrote:And so it's unclear how to deal with the fact that, by the numbers, Schwarber is playing adequate -- even good -- defense in 2018.

Quickly, what do those numbers say? Well, Baseball Reference ranks Schwarber five runs above average. John Dewan, who has been studying defense forever, has him plus-one on his plus-minus scale (which estimates how many plays above or below the average player are made). Fangraphs has Schwarber five runs above average. The Statcast™ folks have him slightly below average but show him holding his own.
The Cubs don't need Schwarber to be an elite defender. Merely adequate is enough given his bat. Couple that with how good the rest of the defense on the team is (the rest of the outfield is patrolled by Albert Almora and Jason Heyward, who is having an oddly resurgent offensive year), and Schwarbs can stick around on the Cubs for a while.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Can he play first?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hey, imagine how good this team would be if Rizzo regains his form.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Um you were supposed to beat the Giants, Cubs, geezus.

Also AZ, the Dodgers have never given up 19 runs in Satan field, what's wrong with your pitching???
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Posey for the win!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Lorini wrote:Um you were supposed to beat the Giants, Cubs, geezus.

Also AZ, the Dodgers have never given up 19 runs in Satan field, what's wrong with your pitching???
Just got back from that game. 18-1 after 4 innings.

Coors Field record is 20 runs and all they needed was 2 runs over the last 4 innings and couldn't do it.... Against position players pitching!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I was at this game when the Rocks gave up 17 to the Cubbies (work-sponsored trip for the kids to go play in the Rock Pile, so we stayed til the end). Probably better to be there for a home team win, eh, Xmann?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I much prefer a 3-2 pitchers dual any day of the week.

But this was definitely a fun game to watch. Particularly when the wife hates 3-2 type games.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Xmann wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm I much prefer a 3-2 pitchers dual any day of the week.

But this was definitely a fun game to watch. Particularly when the wife hates 3-2 type games.
Uh, perhaps you should move from the Denver area if that's what you want. :)
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Red Sox have won 9 in a row. Thank you to the Rangers and KC for existing!

I am crowing now because Price is pitching tonight and there will be nothing to crow about tomorrow.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Lorini wrote:
Xmann wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm I much prefer a 3-2 pitchers dual any day of the week.

Uh, perhaps you should move from the Denver area if that's what you want. :)
Well, I didn't say I get to see them often Image
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

DeGrom 19 starts 1.68 ERA and a 5-4 record. Honestly part of me wants him traded to a good team because he deserves better than this crap. He pitched 8 shutout innings last night and didn't get the win. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:31 pm DeGrom 19 starts 1.68 ERA and a 5-4 record. Honestly part of me wants him traded to a good team because he deserves better than this crap. He pitched 8 shutout innings last night and didn't get the win. :grund:
Bauer did the same thing the other day, with 12ks. Left up like 5-0, didn't get the win. FWIW, the Tribe has the worst pen in baseball so far. Which is kind of shocking.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This has been happening his entire career

126 starts
2.78 era
50 wins
:grund:

Now wins isn't really the most important stat in the world, but it sure shows how much the Mets suck.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm Red Sox have won 9 in a row. Thank you to the Rangers and KC for existing!

:grund:

Hard to believe it's only been three years since the championship. The Royals are a dumpster fire this year.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm Red Sox have won 9 in a row. Thank you to the Rangers and KC for existing!

I am crowing now because Price is pitching tonight and there will be nothing to crow about tomorrow.
Price did fine! Sure, he gave up two home runs, but 6 2/3rds with 3 runs allowed. Not enough for what they're paying him, but solid.

I was at the game, which was cool. Seeing the Mookie Betts grand slam was great.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So the Red Sox will never lose another game right? :)

The rest of the Freeway Series starts tonight, the Angels really want these games and the Dodgers want to stay in first place so should be some good baseball. Unfortunately I'll miss tonight and tomorrow's game but hopefully they can win without me :)
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am So the Red Sox will never lose another game right? :)

The rest of the Freeway Series starts tonight, the Angels really want these games and the Dodgers want to stay in first place so should be some good baseball. Unfortunately I'll miss tonight and tomorrow's game but hopefully they can win without me :)
God willing! Unfortunately the Yankees won again too. :(

All I want is for a 96-win Yankees team to finish second in the division and lose the one-game playoff. I don't ask for much.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am

Price did fine! Sure, he gave up two home runs, but 6 2/3rds with 3 runs allowed. Not enough for what they're paying him, but solid.

I was at the game, which was cool. Seeing the Mookie Betts grand slam was great.
When you have Sale hitting 100 MPH for the first time in his career, and he's done it 6 times, Price is gravy. Also worth noting, Sale has hit 99 MPH 47 times this year. He's only done it 16 times previously in his career. Love to see it but WTF is he eating in Boston? Beans? Would explain the gas.
And it's not just a few random pitches, as Sale is consistently throwing harder than he ever has. He has averaged 97 mph with his fastball in just nine career starts, per BrooksBaseball.com, and eight of them have come in 2018. And it pretty much happened overnight, as Sale's velocity was actually a tick down early in the season, until he topped 97 on average for the first time in five years on May 6 against the Rangers. Since that start, Sale is averaging 96.6 mph with his fastball, fourth among starters in that time.

Also, Betts' slam was not earned. Entirely. That's a rare feat.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am

When you have Sale hitting 100 MPH for the first time in his career, and he's done it 6 times, Price is gravy. Also worth noting, Sale has hit 99 MPH 47 times this year. He's only done it 16 times previously in his career. Love to see it but WTF is he eating in Boston? Beans? Would explain the gas.

Also, Betts' slam was not earned. Entirely. That's a rare feat.
Yup, the whole rally that inning was basically the result of Cora successfully challenging a "neighborhood play" out at second base as part of a DP attempt.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I forget what the home run derby looked like last year but the damn screen has too much crap on it. ESPN sucks.

Oh and I wish we could just have the crowd noise instead of what passes for announcing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Being at the Home Run Derby in person is so much better than on TV.

So many mammoth homers hit near me. Worth every penny.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm Being at the Home Run Derby in person is so much better than on TV.

Would have loved to have been there to see Harper win. Glad you got your money’s worth and then some!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
naednek

Post by naednek »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 am
pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm Being at the Home Run Derby in person is so much better than on TV.

Would have loved to have been there to see Harper win cheat. Glad you got your money’s worth and then some!
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am Would have loved to have been there to see Harper win cheat. Glad you got your money’s worth and then some!
Meh. There was an ump there who could have stopped him at any time. He didn't. Dems da breaks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ChiTrib
The Derby rules state that the pitcher must let a batted ball land before throwing the next pitch. With Harper falling behind Schwarber’s pace and time running out, Harper’s dad Ron was tossed balls to his son before the previous balls had landed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I went when it was here in 2003. Seeing Brett Boone hit 0 home runs was a highlight.

A friend reminded me last night that it was 15 years ago. :shock:

He also reminded me that that Derby was when we achieved the 4-bagger at the ballpark. That is, we ate 1 Italian sausage, 1 Brat, 1 Polish sausage, and 1 jumbo kosher dog. Along with 8 or so beers. It had been discussed all year and we decided to do it at the home run derby. Seemed fitting. Unlike my clothes the next day.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm ChiTrib
The Derby rules state that the pitcher must let a batted ball land before throwing the next pitch. With Harper falling behind Schwarber’s pace and time running out, Harper’s dad Ron was tossed balls to his son before the previous balls had landed.
Going to have to give it to Harper here. The ump gave his dad the go ahead on each pitch. Pitchers weren't jumping on the throw as much earlier when the clock wasn't a factor so it wasn't as obvious, but the ump wasn't waiting to verify that each ball landed before giving the OK.

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm ChiTrib
...Harper’s dad Ron was tossed balls to his son...
Is that worse than chopped liver?

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wait a minute...I thought the home run derby was last night!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What happens if one of the managers from the previous world series gets fired / resigns / gets hit by a bus in the offseason? Does their replacement manager get to manage the all-star team of their league? Or maybe the manager of the team that lost the Championship Series?
Black Lives Matter.