MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by Lorini »

Why doesn't Lester give up eight runs when the Dodgers face him?! Just askin' :)
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Down 3-0 in the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, 2 outs, 2 strikes.

David Bote pinch hit grand slam.

Drive safely everyone!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yesterday afternoon the Red Sox eliminated the Orioles from the AL East title. They were *so close* to making a division comeback this year.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have tickets to tonight's Rangers game.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am Yesterday afternoon the Red Sox eliminated the Orioles from the AL East title. They were *so close* to making a division comeback this year.
Yeah, the team was still competitive for a wild card slot into September of last year, and then fell off a cliff. I'm glad they committed to a rebuild, and was surprised how quickly they acted to move their talent, though they should have traded Machado a year or two back.

I guess I'm rooting for the Braves, as a home to many former O's. :lol:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Um, anyone have a spare closer?? We certainly don't.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

how bout a first baseman too? Talk about an epic implosion. That was a fun 9th inning
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Game went off with just a few sprinkles. Rangers win over the DBacks. I even ended up with an Elvis Andrus foul ball that caromed around behind me and trickled down to me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm how bout a first baseman too? Talk about an epic implosion. That was a fun 9th inning
Where's your favorite post???
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm how bout a first baseman too? Talk about an epic implosion. That was a fun 9th inning
oh ya :)

Saw this one today and it's now my 2nd fav.

naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm
oh ya :)

Saw this one today and it's now my 2nd fav.

I'll just quote myself for game two

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

First triple play in over a century where the batter was not one of the outs:

stessier

Post by stessier »

The announcers said it was a Force at third, tag of the guy who was on third, and then tag of guy going to second (well, he ran out of the base path) - but wasn't the last out a force out at second?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 pm The announcers said it was a Force at third, tag of the guy who was on third, and then tag of guy going to second (well, he ran out of the base path) - but wasn't the last out a force out at second?
Yes, the announcers were confused. Force @ 3rd, tag of dude on third, then force @ 2nd. They were going for 4 outs. Or I guess 5, as the guy going to 2nd was also out of the base path.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How can it be 5? You can't have more potential outs than the maximum number of base runners.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm How can it be 5? You can't have more potential outs than the maximum number of base runners.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Check out @MLB’s Tweet:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Mutumbo at the end seals the video's greatness.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Cubs have now had three consecutive games against the Pirates where they've scored only one run via a solo homer.

On the plus side, they've won two of those games.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

We scored 27 runs in three games, unfortunately we couldn't spread them out the way we wanted (damned balk) but at least we finally won a series.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 pm The Cubs have now had three consecutive games against the Pirates where they've scored only one run via a solo homer.

Four games in a row with one run via a solo homer. First time that's ever happened. (2-2 in those games.)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Nats begin a late August purge, sending Daniel Murphy to the Cubs (WOW) and Matt Adams to the Cardinals.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm worried that this means the Cubs are concerned Kris Bryant won't be back this year. On the other hand, it could just be some additional production in the event Bote fades and/or Russell never finds his swing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now the A's have caught the Astros atop the American League West. Moneyball my ass.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Dodgers were the team that claimed Bryce Harper.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 pm The Cubs have now had three consecutive games against the Pirates where they've scored only one run via a solo homer.

Four games in a row with one run via a solo homer. First time that's ever happened. (2-2 in those games.)
Five in a row.

As a Cubs fan, this is horrifying. As a baseball fan, it's fascinating.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Oh, and Darvish is done for the year, and Addison Russell was scratched from tonight's lineup with a sore right shoulder. Not great, but the latter is probably just a pretense for putting him on the DL to make room for Murphy until the September roster expansion.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 pm Oh, and Darvish is done for the year, and Addison Russell was scratched from tonight's lineup with a sore right shoulder. Not great, but the latter is probably just a pretense for putting him on the DL to make room for Murphy until the September roster expansion.
And there it is. Russell to the DL.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So Daniel Murphy has dibs on the solo homer tonight, right?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's only polite to let the newcomer have a shot at it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 pm Oh, and Darvish is done for the year, and Addison Russell was scratched from tonight's lineup with a sore right shoulder. Not great, but the latter is probably just a pretense for putting him on the DL to make room for Murphy until the September roster expansion.
And there it is. Russell to the DL.
His WABoB is like 1.2 so they just got much better.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah. Murphy is not much of a defender, but his bat should make up for the defense gap.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So that's what offense looks like. The Cubs finally score multiple runs and manage to defeat the mighty Detroit Tigers. The Cubs did get a solo homer from Rizzo in the 9th, which runs their streak of games with a solo home run to 7. I'm cool with that streak continuing, as long as they keep getting other runs, too.

Now, Lorini, if you could get the Dodgers to do something about the Cards, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Naw, our GM is asking Obama to see if he can pitch the ninth for us :D

So it turns out that the Dodgers are among the worst in baseball in hitting meatballs, ie pitches that will normally result in a hit. The good news is that our manager Roberts knows it. The bad news is that the hitters continue to not hit meatballs. We are fourth worst in baseball in hitting with runners in scoring position.

One does wonder what will happen in the off season when the Dodgers don't make the playoffs. They may fire Roberts, but really I think the philosophical decision from the front office that the Dodgers should focus on home runs is not working and hopefully if they fire Roberts, Friedman et al should be right behind him.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Red Sox beat Cleveland 7-0 behind a commanding performance by David Price to get their 90th win on August 23rd. Woo-hoo!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:57 am Naw, our GM is asking Obama to see if he can pitch the ninth for us :D

So it turns out that the Dodgers are among the worst in baseball in hitting meatballs, ie pitches that will normally result in a hit. The good news is that our manager Roberts knows it. The bad news is that the hitters continue to not hit meatballs. We are fourth worst in baseball in hitting with runners in scoring position.

One does wonder what will happen in the off season when the Dodgers don't make the playoffs. They may fire Roberts, but really I think the philosophical decision from the front office that the Dodgers should focus on home runs is not working and hopefully if they fire Roberts, Friedman et al should be right behind him.
First, I am a Dodger fan, and while I appreciate them winning I do find fault with things Roberts does. I do think having most of your starters basically limited to 5 innings every outing has to wear down your bullpen. I also really dislike Robert's use of his bench. I don't know how many games I have watched where by the 6-7 inning he was down to one position player on the bench.

Also, it is time to get rid of Puig and Pederson.

Now, I grant that some of the reasons for what Robert's does may be based on talent and therefore the GM. If that is so, then make some moves there.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

When your bullpen is as bad as the Dodgers is, a manager can't do much. And that is the Dodgers philosophy, to be cheap in the bullpen except for Jansen.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Everyone assumed that the Cubs would buy out Hamels at the end of the year for $6M, but if he keeps pitching like this, it's a no-brainer to pick up the option. At essentially $14M (since the first $6M is sunk anyway), he'd be a bargain.

And 8 in a row with at least one solo home run.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, he's looking like a good pickup for sure. And that was before Yu packed up shop for the decade.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:57 am Naw, our GM is asking Obama to see if he can pitch the ninth for us :D

First, I am a Dodger fan, and while I appreciate them winning I do find fault with things Roberts does. I do think having most of your starters basically limited to 5 innings every outing has to wear down your bullpen. I also really dislike Robert's use of his bench. I don't know how many games I have watched where by the 6-7 inning he was down to one position player on the bench.

Also, it is time to get rid of Puig and Pederson.

Now, I grant that some of the reasons for what Robert's does may be based on talent and therefore the GM. If that is so, then make some moves there.
So analytics say that a starting pitcher gets much worse going through the lineup a third time, so this is why Roberts and others pull their starters after five innings and why the Dodgers carry so many relievers. Also why fewer and fewer complete games around the league are pitched.

Pederson is clearly a streak hitter, while Puig's numbers are fine, particularly for hitting in the 8th spot. The catcher spot has been terrible in August, and the Dodgers as mentioned are not hitting meatballs which is frankly killing them. Basically as Dusty Baker mentioned in an article on The Athletic (behind a paywall) the computer (ie analytics) does most of the managing nowadays, not a lot left for Roberts to do really. There are some knowledgeable people in baseball who believe that Friedman texts Roberts in the dugout to tell him what to do anyway, so if they are correct, again blame the front office not Robot Roberts.
Black Lives Matter