MLB 2018 Regular Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: MLB 2018 Regular Season

Post by ImLawBoy »

At some point last season (I think it was last season) there was a social media post by a close friend of Addison Russell's ex-wife alleging that Russell abused his ex, including in front of their kid. The ex pointedly refused to comment on this, the post was taken down, and MLB did an "investigation" that turned up nothing. In sum, it was enough to grant plausible deniability, although I (and others, I'm sure) have had reservations about Russell since then.

No more. His ex wrote a lengthy blog post detailing the abuse, physical and emotional, she suffered at the hands of Addison Russell.

The Cubs need to send him home for the rest of the year and let MLB do an investigation. When they come up with a suspension (I'm guessing somewhere in the 30-60 game category), the Cubs should release him. I don't want to root for him, and I don't want him on the Cubs (barring the investigation convincingly concluding that this was some sort of hoax or scam on the part of his ex).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hooray! Red Sox are officially AL East champs. Everyone here can celebrate!
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cleveland says, "What kept you?".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 am Cleveland says, "What kept you?".
To be fair, Boston would have clinched the AL Central weeks ago.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't wait until the Yankees play the A's in the wild card game. Instant season over for one of them.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 am The Cubs need to send him home for the rest of the year and let MLB do an investigation. When they come up with a suspension (I'm guessing somewhere in the 30-60 game category), the Cubs should release him. I don't want to root for him, and I don't want him on the Cubs (barring the investigation convincingly concluding that this was some sort of hoax or scam on the part of his ex).
Considering his abysmal season, I have no doubt they will release him.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 am Cleveland says, "What kept you?".
To be fair, Boston would have clinched the AL Central weeks ago.
:shhh:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 am The Cubs need to send him home for the rest of the year and let MLB do an investigation. When they come up with a suspension (I'm guessing somewhere in the 30-60 game category), the Cubs should release him. I don't want to root for him, and I don't want him on the Cubs (barring the investigation convincingly concluding that this was some sort of hoax or scam on the part of his ex).
That's the typical response I'm seeing from the anti-Cubs crowd, and I get the cynicism. It probably does make the calculus easier, but a lot of his performance problems this year have been injury related, and he's still seen as having a lot of potential. There were rumors over the summer that he would be included in a trade for Machado, and a lot of people pushed back that you didn't want to trade a potential star like that for a rental like Machado.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Russell is on administrative leave per the MLB-MLBPA domestic violence policy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am
That's the typical response I'm seeing from the anti-Cubs crowd, and I get the cynicism. It probably does make the calculus easier, but a lot of his performance problems this year have been injury related, and he's still seen as having a lot of potential. There were rumors over the summer that he would be included in a trade for Machado, and a lot of people pushed back that you didn't want to trade a potential star like that for a rental like Machado.
It's not so much anti-Cub as it is a long time sports fan. We've all seen this play out again and again and the most important factor is always performance on the field.

Rumors and what fans say about trades aren't the best measure of a player's value anyway. But even if he has value as a "potential star", he isn't a star or even a good player, right now. Which means his wife-abusing baggage outweighs his value. Easy math: bye bye. Especially for a team that isn't exactly starved for young talent.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's still weird to me that sports franchises become the main enforcer on domestic abuse by their players as opposed to, say, the police.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm It's still weird to me that sports franchises become the main enforcer on domestic abuse by their players as opposed to, say, the police.
They don't have to overcome reasonable doubt.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm It's still weird to me that sports franchises become the main enforcer on domestic abuse by their players as opposed to, say, the police.
Even when the do over come it, employers often have more effective means. See Ray Rice.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If that account is true, good riddance.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:29 pm Rumors and what fans say about trades aren't the best measure of a player's value anyway. But even if he has value as a "potential star", he isn't a star or even a good player, right now. Which means his wife-abusing baggage outweighs his value. Easy math: bye bye. Especially for a team that isn't exactly starved for young talent.
Not the best measure, no, but a measure. It's the same kind of chatter that kept Kyle Schwarber around, though, so it may be somewhat indicative of how the front office values his skills. Also, he's still not a bad player (a bad person, well that's another thing) - his WAR is 2.1, if you go for that sort of thing. It's based largely on his defense, though.
I'm not sure why that's weird. Given the PR driven nature of professional sports, it makes a lot of sense for them to stay in front these issues. Combine that with the difficulty of prosecuting domestic abuse, and it's actually pretty logical.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:47 pm
Even when the do over come it, employers often have more effective means. See Ray Rice.
Ray Rice is like the #1 example of how this is all fucked up. There's video of him abusing his wife - it's open and shut. But somehow (presumably because he's rich and famous) he gets off without jail time.

Then people spend all their time arguing about how many games the NFL should have suspended Rice for X games or Y games, but there's little to no discussion about why the hell he didn't go to jail.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:29 pm Rumors and what fans say about trades aren't the best measure of a player's value anyway. But even if he has value as a "potential star", he isn't a star or even a good player, right now. Which means his wife-abusing baggage outweighs his value. Easy math: bye bye. Especially for a team that isn't exactly starved for young talent.
Not the best measure, no, but a measure. It's the same kind of chatter that kept Kyle Schwarber around, though, so it may be somewhat indicative of how the front office values his skills. Also, he's still not a bad player (a bad person, well that's another thing) - his WAR is 2.1, if you go for that sort of thing. It's based largely on his defense, though.

Its almost all defense and position. His oWAR is sub 1 and has been the last 2 years. Point is, if you add his apparently declining performance (or health) with his off-field wife beating, it's an easy move.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm Then people spend all their time arguing about how many games the NFL should have suspended Rice for X games or Y games, but there's little to no discussion about why the hell he didn't go to jail.
That should tell you something.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:47 pm
Ray Rice is like the #1 example of how this is all fucked up. There's video of him abusing his wife - it's open and shut. But somehow (presumably because he's rich and famous) he gets off without jail time.

Then people spend all their time arguing about how many games the NFL should have suspended Rice for X games or Y games, but there's little to no discussion about why the hell he didn't go to jail.
Wasn't it because Goodell stuck his girlfriend in a room with him and they got married a few months later and she dropped the charges?

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:47 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm Then people spend all their time arguing about how many games the NFL should have suspended Rice for X games or Y games, but there's little to no discussion about why the hell he didn't go to jail.
That should tell you something.
It certainly tells me that Donald Trump is correct in his assertion that if Ford's allegations were 'as bad as she says they are,' she'd have submitted a claim to the police back in high school. I mean, why not, amirite?

Oh, wait; wrong thread.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Rice didn't go to jail because she didn't press charges. Only 27% of the time are charges pressed in situations like this, rape and abuse so I don't blame the sports leagues for taking matters into their own hands.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rangers fire Jeff Bannister
The Texas Rangers fired manager Jeff Banister on Friday after the team stumbled to its first consecutive losing records in 10 years following AL West titles in each of his first two seasons.

Texas announced the move with 10 games left in Banister's fourth season, and general manager Jon Daniels said the decision wasn't based on the record.

"There are times when you're looking for a new voice, and the new voice for the leadership," Daniels said. "Jeff did a very good job for us. Ton of passion and energy and care for everybody involved. ... We just made a decision that a new voice at this point was needed."

In a season when the focus turned to the development of their younger players, the Rangers took a 64-88 record into the Friday night's game against Seattle to open the final home series of the year. They had lost four in a row and 11 of 15.

Bench coach Don Wakamatsu will serve as interim manager for the remainder of the season, starting with the three-game series against the Mariners. The Rangers will finish on the road next week against the Los Angeles Angels and Seattle.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm Rice didn't go to jail because she didn't press charges. Only 27% of the time are charges pressed in situations like this, rape and abuse so I don't blame the sports leagues for taking matters into their own hands.
Private individuals do not press charges. Prosecutors do. In this case, where you have video of Rice literally dragging his unconscious wife by the hair, cooperation from the wife is less essential (though, to be fair, not trivial).
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 am
Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm Rice didn't go to jail because she didn't press charges. Only 27% of the time are charges pressed in situations like this, rape and abuse so I don't blame the sports leagues for taking matters into their own hands.
Private individuals do not press charges. Prosecutors do. In this case, where you have video of Rice literally dragging his unconscious wife by the hair, cooperation from the wife is less essential (though, to be fair, not trivial).
No. There has to be a victim of a crime. If there is no victim there is no crime (for these types of crimes). By not filing charges, she was not a victim in the police or prosecutors' eyes. Which honestly makes sense, otherwise they'd spend all their time chasing videos.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Braves win! NL East champs! I don't think they can win it all but we'll see what they can do.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 am
El Guapo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 am
No. There has to be a victim of a crime. If there is no victim there is no crime (for these types of crimes). By not filing charges, she was not a victim in the police or prosecutors' eyes. Which honestly makes sense, otherwise they'd spend all their time chasing videos.
But there was a victim. They can see so on the video. She does not need to 'press charges' (which isn't really a thing) in order for them to decide that there's evidence to prosecute. And that's why Ray Rice was in fact indicted, despite the lack of someone "pressing charges". The issue is that the prosecutors in the case offered him a deal to avoid trial if he completed counseling. Which is ridiculous.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm wrong you're right.

Back to baseball, for a team that many people in LA can't even watch, the Dodgers are trying to get more viewers clearly. Hopefully they'll make it to the post season as a division lead but really there is a non trivial chance they won't.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

White knuckle time for the NL Central and West. Might be a good time for me to revisit Margaritas :).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, I'm not feeling too good about the Cubs right now. Still have a half game lead, but they've scored one run (on a pitcher's home run, no less) the last two nights, and the bats seem to be going through one of their slumps at the worst time. Plus Bryant got hit in the hand last night and left the game (doesn't seem to be broken at least). Credit to the Brewers for playing strong all year - I really thought they were going to fade a bit in the second half.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Props to the Rockies for keeping the pressure on. They finish at home against the Nats, so if Frisco can take care of business against the Dodgers they could actually win the division.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 am Props to the Rockies for keeping the pressure on. They finish at home against the Nats, so if Frisco can take care of business against the Dodgers they could actually win the division.
Yeah well when the other teams conspire against the Dodgers (Bochy is moving MadBum to the Friday night game so he can start against us, the AZ manager assured the Rockies manager that AZ would play their best against the Dodgers) then WTF???

(cue righteous indignation :) )
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Oh and for Octavious, here I am with a Mets fan who was the reporter in the movie Selma

Black Lives Matter
wire

Post by wire »

And another season comes to a close and the Mariners find themselves missing the post season. They gave fans some hope early on but as any seasoned fan will tell you...being in first place in June means nothing when you are the Mariners. Maybe they should have waited to give the coach a big extension because they started tanking right after he signed the papers and it was announced.

It's sad to see Felix declining...I wish they had traded him to a good team so he could have had a chance for a ring at least once in his career.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:26 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 am Props to the Rockies for keeping the pressure on. They finish at home against the Nats, so if Frisco can take care of business against the Dodgers they could actually win the division.
Yeah well when the other teams conspire against the Dodgers...
Love to see the excuses starting already...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Early and often!!! Nah if they lose, it's their own fault. Losing 6 of 7 to Cincinnati was inexcusable and that happened AFTER we got Turner back. That's where the fingers will be pointed at. You can't lose that many games to a team that was never in the post season conversation.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A's clinched a Wild Card slot this week.

Why no love for Khrush Davis in the MVP race? He's been insanely hot since the All Star break with 25 HR and 56 RBI, leading the AL in both categories.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:06 pm A's clinched a Wild Card slot this week.

Why no love for Khrush Davis in the MVP race? He's been insanely hot since the All Star break with 25 HR and 56 RBI, leading the AL in both categories.
Probably because Khrush Davis is an obviously made up name.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Gratz Cub fans :)
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm Gratz Cub fans :)
It doesn't feel like congratulations at this point. The Cubs have clinched a postseason spot, but are at risk of falling to the wildcard slot. They were up 6-1 on the Pirates, but we're now in the 10th. If the Cubs lose, they'll be a half game behind the Brewers. Remaining schedules have the Cubs with one more game against the red hot Pirates (second best record in the NL over the last 20 games or so) and then hosting the desperate Cardinals for 3 games, while the Brewers will host the lifeless Tigers for 3.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pulled that one out, so the Cubs stay a half game up in the Central. Chance tomorrow to extend it to a full game.