Netflix Do Not Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix Do Not Watch Recommendations

Post by hepcat »

It’s better than a Michael Bay movie, which is faint praise I admit. But I watched it last night and some of the visuals are inspired. Shots of the Earth flying through space with a belt of rockets and a dust trail extending out in its wake are great.

But yeah, the story isn’t exactly great. Even if it’s based on a story from a Hugo award winner.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Anything is better than a Micheal Bay movie, isn't it? That should be a new rating system :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 am Indiewire
Billed as China’s first true sci-fi blockbuster, Frant Gwo’s ridiculously profitable (and borderline unwatchable) “The Wandering Earth” tells the story of a cursed future in which the sun has become unstable, and humanity’s only hope for survival are the 10,000 jet engines strong enough to dislodge our planet from its orbit and launch us toward a solar system that’s 4.2 light-years away.

Currently the second-highest grossing movie in Chinese box office history, and now dumped on Netflix without fanfare, Gwo’s film also tells the story of another cursed future — one that presents a more clear and present danger — in which the spectacle required to sustain popular cinema becomes so large that the industry congeals into a worldwide monoculture and creates a vacuum of credible artistic and cultural expression powerful enough to suck an entire medium into a black hole of its own making.
this reminded me i have not read the original short story by Cixin Liu ... nor have i read the next two books after The Three-Body Problem. i should get on that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:58 pm Anything is better than a Micheal Bay movie, isn't it? That should be a new rating system :D
I find Michael Bay movies to be a great helping of guilty pleasure BAYSPLOSIONS, thank you very much.
Hodor.
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Wandering Earth was bad. I got through about 20 mins and turned it off.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

xenocide wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm Wandering Earth was bad. I got through about 20 mins and turned it off.
Me too!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Gato

Post by Gato »

Drazzil wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:09 pm
xenocide wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm Wandering Earth was bad. I got through about 20 mins and turned it off.
Me too!
Does falling asleep 3 nights in a row trying to watch this counts as turning it off?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It may count as narcolepsy.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I gpt through it but only because i was doing some other things. I thought it was what you would get if you gave The Asylum $100 million and told them to make a movie. Still crappy, just better special effects :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if it was the novelty of a Chinese science fiction blockbuster (relatively new territory for the Chinese film industry, I believe) that made it so profitable overseas. I mean, it's near Avengers: Endgame levels of box office earnings.

Of course, I also know that the Transformers franchise (which is equally unwatchable) rakes in a ton of cash both domestically and overseas, so I shouldn't discount audiences that will just about watch anything (in my defense, I watched it because it was on my streaming service...I didn't seek it out and pay for a ticket...and those shots of the Earth traveling through space drew me in, as well as the pedigree of the writer who created the source material.).
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am I wonder if it was the novelty of a Chinese science fiction blockbuster (relatively new territory for the Chinese film industry, I believe) that made it so profitable overseas. I mean, it's near Avengers: Endgame levels of box office earnings.
Only in China.

Forbes
Avengers: Endgame has now earned (including its third Friday) $597 million in China alone. Yes, it fell 88% from last Friday as it sheds theaters in the second-biggest moviegoing market, but that’s par for the course for big Hollywood releases. With $4.15 million on Friday, it’ll cross the $600 million mark tonight, becoming only the third movie to do so. Come what may, it’s not catching up to The Wandering Earth ($693 million earlier this year) or Wolf Warrior 2 ($854 million in the summer of 2017).

By the way, if you’re so inclined, Netflix just dropped The Wandering Earth onto their streaming service with zero fanfare. That’s not necessarily a shock, as it earned $5.8 million in North American theaters. That’s quite good for a Chinese import, but Netflix clearly isn’t treating it as a banner release. So, yes, The Wandering Earth (which earned $699 million worldwide) is now on Netflix streaming. If you do watch it, do yourself a favor and do so on your HDTV and not on your laptop or smartphone.

Anyway, with a $25.1 million global cume on Thursday (including $7.5 million in North America) and counting the aforementioned Chinese Friday gross, Avengers: Endgame has earned $1.672 billion overseas and $2.332 billion worldwide in around 2.5-weeks of global play.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm 51 minutes into it. My biggest gripe is that they don't explain anything. Every time a situation comes up, they run off with a solution but I'm left asking Why? "A lot of people are going to die on this mission." Why? "I'm never returning underground." Why? "We have to go down this cravase." WHY???

Also, I find the effects subpar. There have been several scenes that looked video game-esque - and not in a good way.

I'll still finish it because I'm a glutton and maybe the ending redeems it. If not, perhaps foreign audiences just have a different sensibility about what makes good escapism. Or maybe their culture makes the "Why?!" blindingly obvious.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The important question is, did Netflix give this film the 4K/HDR treatment or no?
Hodor.
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

It was like watching a big budget Hollywood action film AND a SyFy channel movie AND a student film all at the same time.

Like they gave a huge budget to a mediocre fx shop (some good, some bad) then hired random no experience writers/directors/actors off the street.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

I'll still finish it because I'm a glutton and maybe the ending redeems it. If not, perhaps foreign audiences just have a different sensibility about what makes good escapism. Or maybe their culture makes the "Why?!" blindingly obvious.
To be fair, the aforementioned Transformer franchise and the incredibly stupid Underworld series make a fortune off American audiences. I imagine other countries wonder what the hell is wrong with us.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm
stessier wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

To be fair, the aforementioned Transformer franchise and the incredibly stupid Underworld series make a fortune off American audiences. I imagine other countries wonder what the hell is wrong with us.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with their viewpoint. I was just acknowledging that culture could certainly play a role in what people find entertaining.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saying that they appreciated films that look
like they gave a huge budget to a mediocre fx shop (some good, some bad) then hired random no experience writers/directors/actors off the street.
kind of made me think you did. :wink:

My point was audiences love big budget crap no matter where they live.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:15 pm Saying that they appreciated films that look
like they gave a huge budget to a mediocre fx shop (some good, some bad) then hired random no experience writers/directors/actors off the street.
kind of made me think you did. :wink:

My point was audiences love big budget crap no matter where they live.
That wasn't me! :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: I shouldn't be writing replies while talking to verizon on the phone. Dealing with them on the best of days is maddening enough!
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finished watching Wandering Earth yesterday. The end did not redeem the movie. I would say it somehow made it worse. I'm not even sure hate watching it would be fun. I have to agree with the Do Not Recommend rating on this one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's a Netflix movie. That alone tells me what to expect most of the time. In general, I don't think there are many Netflix movies I would call "great." There are very few that have impressed me, ie The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind, Okja, but most of them turn out to be very meh. And anybody notice how many of them tend to be post-apocalyptic? :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 pm It's a Netflix movie. That alone tells me what to expect most of the time. In general, I don't think there are many Netflix movies I would call "great." There are very few that have impressed me, ie The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind, Okja, but most of them turn out to be very meh. And anybody notice how many of them tend to be post-apocalyptic? :D
It's not, though. It's a big budget release in China that Netflix got the right to stream.

Unless, of course, you'd call Black Panther and Infinity War Netflix movies.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There are plenty of foreign movies that Netflix gets the right to claim as Netflix originals though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never understood that labeling. Is it because they get exclusive broadcast rights for a region or regions?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, pretty much. Same happens with some of their series. Kind of like how Star Trek Discovery is considered a Netflix Original overseas.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm There are plenty of foreign movies that Netflix gets the right to claim as Netflix originals though.
Ok, but Wandering Earth fails that test as well. They don't claim it as an Original.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:56 pm I never understood that labeling. Is it because they get exclusive broadcast rights for a region or regions?

Here's an article that explains it a bit.
Netflix uses the term “original” to delineate between movies and series that are exclusive to its platform, and those that are aggregated from other studios after first being made available elsewhere. Original can refer to a few things: content such as Stranger Things that are self produced, programming like Narcos that are licensed exclusively from other studios and branded as Netflix originals, or licensed content such as You and Riverdale that may air on TV in some markets but stream first on Netflix in other parts of the world.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, interesting. Thanks.
Covfefe!
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

You people

If a Netflix movie looks like crap then I simply wont waste my time. Everything I watch there is gold. Now if this thread was about Netlfix movies that upon reconsideration and pondering and a couple nights sleep didn't fare so well. I got a couple

BIRDBOX.

. . . . . .

there, I feel better now
AKA: Dajjer
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm There are plenty of foreign movies that Netflix gets the right to claim as Netflix originals though.
Ok, but Wandering Earth fails that test as well. They don't claim it as an Original.
Ok, my bad. I thought it had been referred to as a Netflix Original earlier in the thread.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The first part is bad. Oh my goodness, its like they went out of their way to make sure everybody knows this is a Chinese flick, with a bunch of tropes all dragged out in a row.

But then, it gets better. much better. Turns into a proper action flick, with plenty of edge hanging, explosions, action sequences, and even some character development.

After suffering through the first part, I really enjoyed the rest of the movie. I was ready to bail out at the bribery scene, and the following five minutes. But then a thing happens, and the whole nature of the movie changes.

So if you are on the fence, push through until the thing happens a few minutes after the bribery scene. What thing? You'll know the thing.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The credits?
Covfefe!
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I was about to start a thread when I saw this...
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:32 pm this reminded me i have not read the original short story by Cixin Liu ... nor have i read the next two books after The Three-Body Problem. i should get on that.
Dude, you need to get on that if you haven't already. Seriously. I can count on two hands the number of books that have truly blown my mind, and all three books of the "Remembrance of Earth's Past" trilogy are on the list. Utterly mind-boggling in scope. The books are second on my all-time favourite list after Blindsight by Peter Watts.
I no longer post here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved Blindsight. :wub:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Does anyone care that something is a "Netflix Original"?

It seems about as important as caring whether a movie is from Paramount or Warner or Universal Studios. All "Netflix" means is that you'll definitely be watching it at home rather than in a movie theater.

What matters is the director and other creatives involved in the production. The studio is just the bank that funded expenses.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 pm I was about to start a thread when I saw this...
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:32 pm this reminded me i have not read the original short story by Cixin Liu ... nor have i read the next two books after The Three-Body Problem. i should get on that.
Dude, you need to get on that if you haven't already. Seriously. I can count on two hands the number of books that have truly blown my mind, and all three books of the "Remembrance of Earth's Past" trilogy are on the list. Utterly mind-boggling in scope. The books are second on my all-time favourite list after Blindsight by Peter Watts.
since that message, i did read The Dark Forest. i had... so many issues with that story. i am tempted to call the ending of that one 'good enough' so i don't have to read Death's End, but i probably will anyways. is that author-sanctioned fanfic, The Redemption of Time, any good?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 pm since that message, i did read The Dark Forest. i had... so many issues with that story. i am tempted to call the ending of that one 'good enough' so i don't have to read Death's End, but i probably will anyways. is that author-sanctioned fanfic, The Redemption of Time, any good?
Oh that's a shame. If you had issues with The Dark Forest I suppose you probably will with Death's End too, but you may as well see how the story ends innit. I haven't read The Redemption of Time, no - I don't have any particular desire to, to be honest.
I no longer post here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:41 pm Does anyone care that something is a "Netflix Original"?
Only in the sense to identify what belongs to Netflix, which is an important designation when there's so much there.
Holman wrote:
What matters is the director and other creatives involved in the production. The studio is just the bank that funded expenses.

And in most cases, Netflix can be described as a distributor rather than a studio directly involved in things. Studios will shop their properties around, looking for investments. This is why you get Star Trek Discovery as a Netflix original in certain markets. And by Studio, I don't mean big Hollywood entities, but small production studios that run counter to the 'bank' idea. To give someone an example, most production studios in Canada are fully independent and live off tax-credits and government subsidies to make the business work, and they'll make most of their money by shopping their work around.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti