Job - nope not getting this one

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

So an AD position was opened up at a school I coach for. I don't have administration credentials but the posting said they would take applicants willing to get work towards them. It was a position I felt would be an amazing fit for me and was really excited about the prospect of applying. That said, it is a high profile school for that position and I figured they would have a ton of applicants that looked better on paper. I just really hoped to get an interview and at least get a feel for what the process would be like so I could pursue similar jobs if not offered this one (I figured I was an extreme long shot for the position due to reasons noted above). Hoped that if I got an interview I'd be able to really catch their attention there and have a shot. Knew it wasn't likely. Got a notice today. No interview. Still feeling crushed by it. Really hitting home how much I really really wanted that chance.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Job - nope not getting this one

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oof, hate that. Commiserations.

But now you know you want something, you can set your sights on it. What are "administration credentials?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sorry to hear that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah man, sorry to hear that. :(
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unless you have all of the credentials they are looking for, expect to be screened out by HR...it's what they do. You'd be far more successful introducing yourself to the hiring manager and state in a sentence or two why you think you'd be good in that role and that you'd like a chance to discuss it further (the interview).

One time I applied for a job that listed a mid-range Cisco certification as a requirement. I didn't have the certification, but I certainly had the knowledge to do the job, since I installed the equipment for the very company that was looking for a new network engineer (the incumbent told me she was leaving in two weeks after I installed it). I still had the configuration files on my PDA. But my cert-free resume never made it past HR...IIRC, they never even bothered to tell me to fuck off.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Im amazed that they told you you weren’t getting an interview. In my experience company’s ghost applicants who don’t get a job.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm Im amazed that they told you you weren’t getting an interview. In my experience company’s ghost applicants who don’t get a job.
Yeah, that did catch me by surprise a little bit. I did appreciate the notice though so I'm not sitting around wondering.

Administration credentials are basically certification with the state saying I'd been trained. They are allowed, and included in the job posting they would take applicants who were interested, to hire someone and allow them to obtain them while working (it a few classes so not hard to double up on from what others who have done it have told me). Still, not surprising as it is a upper end job so I'm certain they had a lot of candidates not only with them already but with experience too.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 am
msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm Im amazed that they told you you weren’t getting an interview. In my experience company’s ghost applicants who don’t get a job.
Yeah, that did catch me by surprise a little bit. I did appreciate the notice though so I'm not sitting around wondering.

Administration credentials are basically certification with the state saying I'd been trained. They are allowed, and included in the job posting they would take applicants who were interested, to hire someone and allow them to obtain them while working (it a few classes so not hard to double up on from what others who have done it have told me). Still, not surprising as it is a upper end job so I'm certain they had a lot of candidates not only with them already but with experience too.
Did you tell them that the assorted people that you talk to on the internet think that you would be a great candidate? I have to imagine that endOOrsement would help.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

They called me and I told them he was probably a werewolf given the way he has been voting. Honestly I thought it would help him and show he was a take charge guy, but I guess it might not have worked out that way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I actually know multiple people that called on my behalf. Still did no good. I'm interested to see who they end up hiring.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 pm I actually know multiple people that called on my behalf. Still did no good. I'm interested to see who they end up hiring.
Probably hepcat.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:16 pm
Remus West wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 pm I actually know multiple people that called on my behalf. Still did no good. I'm interested to see who they end up hiring.
Probably hepcat.
I hope not. I don't get paid enough to afford a new wardrobe to meet the changes to the dress code he would enact. That said, paid gaming time would be killer.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You hair gel and body product budget would get a significant funding boost.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Remus West wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Probably hepcat.
I hope not. I don't get paid enough to afford a new wardrobe to meet the changes to the dress code he would enact. That said, paid gaming time would be killer.
What kind of teacher are you that you haven't managed to already engineer such a thing? When I was in high school, we didn't have to twist the teacher's arm too much for him to allow us to play Diplomacy for several weeks in AP European History.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm
Probably hepcat.
What kind of teacher are you that you haven't managed to already engineer such a thing? When I was in high school, we didn't have to twist the teacher's arm too much for him to allow us to play Diplomacy for several weeks in AP European History.
They didn't have high stakes testing nor standardized curriculum they were required to put people our age through. God forbid we allow kids to have fun and think rather than work like the dogs the wealthy want them to be.

We do play games with them at the after school events I organized but only in half hour bursts so that eliminates a lot of the more intricate (and fun) games.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm You hair gel and body product budget would get a significant funding boost.
I'm bald. He will probably screw me out of the budget increase. Damn it. :(
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Remus West wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am
Probably hepcat.
They didn't have high stakes testing nor standardized curriculum they were required to put people our age through. God forbid we allow kids to have fun and think rather than work like the dogs the wealthy want them to be.

We do play games with them at the after school events I organized but only in half hour bursts so that eliminates a lot of the more intricate (and fun) games.
It was another history teacher that hosted the after school wargame club. That's where I first played Diplomacy. There was an uber-geek several years older than me who managed to handily win a game without ever even talking to other players, much less aligning with them. Now, we all probably sucked at the time, but in that game it's still quite an achievement. I heard this guy used to play multiple games of blind chess simultaneously and win.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Probably hepcat.

Sounds like you need an OctoCon break, buddy.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 pm
Probably hepcat.

Sounds like you need an OctoCon break, buddy.
I do but I'm working that weekend. :cry:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For Administrative Credentials did you mention you have acted as DM for many a session of D &D?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sorry, bud. :(
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra